Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Playoff Tickets

Posted by daredevilcu 
Playoff Tickets
Posted by: daredevilcu (---.dsl1.nor.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 02, 2008 11:29PM

I'll be calling the ticket office when I get a chance, but I figured I could ask here and probably get an answer sooner...

What's the protocol for getting tickets for the games this weekend? I haven't bought Cornell playoff tickets since 03-04, so I don't really remember how difficult they are to get or if I should even bother going through the ticket office.

Re: Playoff Tickets
Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: March 02, 2008 11:49PM

They never sell out. Shouldn't be a problem. Ticket office should have plenty.

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: March 03, 2008 12:19PM

CowbellGuy
Wait. What? Seriously? I haven't bought playoff tickets since 1996; I had no idea that playoff tickets were such an easy get.

Date: March 03, 2008 12:41PM

At least until recently, even after they started including playoff tickets on the season ticket sheet for townies and grads, they weren't included for undergrads. Since they had to actually go buy their playoff tickets and most facetimers had lost interest by the end of the season, big chunks of student-section tickets became available for the playoffs. Add to that the several hundred unsold season tickets for the last few seasons and you should get the picture. Oh wait. Athletics probably doesn't want this dirty little secret to get out. Oops.

Posted by: redhair34 (---.bc.edu)
Date: March 03, 2008 12:55PM

CowbellGuy

They sold out two years ago about a two days before the first QF game...but the team then was, uh...good. That was also before the renovation.

Date: March 03, 2008 12:59PM

But even then, there were plenty of tickets available from the ticket office as long as you didn't wait until the last minute.

Posted by: redhair34 (---.bc.edu)
Date: March 03, 2008 01:02PM

CowbellGuy
But even then, there were plenty of tickets available from the ticket office as long as you didn't wait until the last minute.

Oh yeah exactly...that season in particular I was able to buy a 4 seats together for some friends midweek.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 03, 2008 01:12PM

The QF games often fall on the first weekend of spring break, which might have kept some less dedicated fans from attending. No such excuse this year.

Posted by: polar (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 03, 2008 01:28PM

They now include playoff tickets on the undergrad sheets. Should still be able to find plenty, I expect

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 03, 2008 07:07PM

Ticket and viewing info
[cornellbigred.com]

cornellbigred.com
ITHACA, N.Y. -- Tickets for this weekend's ECAC Hockey First-Round playoff series between Cornell and Dartmouth at Lynah Rink are now on sale at the Cornell Athletic Ticket Office at Bartels Hall. In addition, fans not in the Ithaca area have multiple options to follow the weekend series.

Ticket Information
Tickets are now on sale at the Bartels Hall Ticket Office. Tickets are $18 for all seats, though Cornell undergraduate student tickets are $13 and graduate students are $9. The Cornell Athletic Ticket Office is open Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. until 5 p.m. For more ticket information, call the Ticket Office at 607-254-BEAR.

Live Streaming Video
ECAC Hockey and B2 Networks have partnered up for exclusive coverage of live streaming video of all ECAC Hockey Tournament games. Each game will be available on a pay-per-view basis through B2 Networks at a cost of $8 per game. There is no full-tournament package available. Because B2 Networks has exclusive rights to the tournament, live streaming video will NOT be available through the Cornell RedCast system. Links to this weekend's games on B2 Networks will be available on Tuesday at www.CornellBigRed.com.

Live Audio
While Cornell RedCast will not have the streaming video of this weekend's games at Lynah Rink, fans can still hear Jason Weinstein's radio call of the action from WHCU 870 AM through their normal RedCast subscription options. Each game this weekend will be available through the system. Click here to sign up for Cornell RedCast.

Live Stats
Live stats of all of this weekend's action will also be available through the Cornell Athletics website at www.CornellBigRed.com. To view live stats, point your browser to livestats.internetconsult.com/cornell/mhockey.

Text Updates
Fans can also sign up to have end-of-period updates sent directly to their cell phone. The service is free, though standard text messaging rates from your service provider may apply. To sign up for text updates, click here.

Posted by: redhair34 (---.c3-0.nwt-ubr2.sbo-nwt.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: March 03, 2008 07:11PM

David Harding
Live Streaming Video
ECAC Hockey and B2 Networks have partnered up for exclusive coverage of live streaming video of all ECAC Hockey Tournament games. Each game will be available on a pay-per-view basis through B2 Networks at a cost of $8 per game. There is no full-tournament package available. Because B2 Networks has exclusive rights to the tournament, live streaming video will NOT be available through the Cornell RedCast system. Links to this weekend's games on B2 Networks will be available on Tuesday at www.CornellBigRed.com.

What a bunch of bullshit. I want some money back from athletics.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 03, 2008 07:26PM

redhair34
David Harding
Live Streaming Video

Give me a break. Playoff games are usually separate from the regular season. That's true for most sports. Check TV listings for basketball. It's common, if not always true that when a national network gets a game, the local broadcast is shut out. ESPN gets the game and your local station that has the season games gets the bye-bye. I suspect if you read the fine print it's probably written in there.

We all do like to complain a lot, but what's happening here is no different than anywhere else.

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: March 03, 2008 07:27PM

redhair34
David Harding
Live Streaming Video

OUCH! This just SUCKS. If Cornell can get it together and advance all the way, with both the opening round and QFs going to 3 games, that will be $64 to see all the games!!!!cuss

I'm fine with B2 covering the semis and final game in Albany and feeds for any school that does not already have a video streaming package already in place.

I think most schools offered video access in the $5-$7 range for either the game or a 1 month subscription. I think I maybe relying on Jason's radio calls.

Date: March 03, 2008 07:30PM

Rita
redhair34
David Harding
Live Streaming Video

OUCH! This just SUCKS. If Cornell can get it together and advance all the way, with both the opening round and QFs going to 3 games, that will be $64 to see all the games!!!!cuss

I'm fine with B2 covering the semis and final game in Albany and feeds for any school that does not already have a video streaming package already in place.

I think most schools offered video access in the $5-$7 range for either the game or a 1 month subscription. I think I maybe relying on Jason's radio calls.

Of course if we win the prelims, you would have had to pay for the Union games anyway.

Date: March 03, 2008 07:32PM

Jim Hyla
redhair34
David Harding
Live Streaming Video

Give me a break. Playoff games are usually separate from the regular season.

In the past (at least 3 years) quarterfinal games were ALWAYS included in the package. If they play 3 games this weekend--the cost to watch those games is more than half what it cost to watch an entire season of games.

But, gee Jim I guess if you say otherwise I should probably reconsider.

Date: March 03, 2008 07:34PM

Rita
I think I maybe relying on Jason's radio calls.

I hope that will be available.

Posted by: upperdeck (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 03, 2008 08:06PM

the problem is that when a team does the games there are two entities trying to make money.. now you have B2 and the ECAC trying to make money.. do they really think $8 for a dinky video feed is really about worth half the price of being there live? its too bad the SUN doesnt do a little research into this and get the info out.. how many really watch. what is the real cost. and dont forget in the past if we paid for a road teams feed we could have bought the entire month for less than the $24 it will cost now for three games.. the should also offer a deal for the weekend package or at least let you watch other games as well as the local ones..

Date: March 03, 2008 08:40PM

FWIW, I just wrote a letter to Jeremy Hartigan and Steve Hagwell (politely) expressing my displeasure with this contract. I did point out several of the things people had already mentioned:

1) A fan could end up paying as much as $64 to watch his/her team in the ECAC playoffs

2) In the past, opening and QF round video were available through the home team's internet package

3) No mention on whether the $8 fee also includes archive access to the game

4) No "discount" for the person who already has a subscription to his/her school's video service.

5) I also mentioned that I would have been willing to pay ~ $40 for a playoff package if it included access to all the ECAC playoff games both live and via an archive service. However, with what B2 charging on a per game basis, I will not be subscribing.

It is probably too late to do anything about the agreement with B2 this year, but it might (?) give them something to think about next season. I realize that the ECAC needs to market the games and make them available to as wide an audience as possible, however, I feel that they "alienated" the loyal fans with this contract

According the ticket office release, the audio feed will be available on RedCast.

Date: March 03, 2008 08:40PM

redhair34
Jim Hyla
redhair34
David Harding
Live Streaming Video

Give me a break. Playoff games are usually separate from the regular season.

In the past (at least 3 years) quarterfinal games were ALWAYS included in the package. If they play 3 games this weekend--the cost to watch those games is more than half what it cost to watch an entire season of games.

But, gee Jim I guess if you say otherwise I should probably reconsider.

Well, if you want to quote my whole post, you'll see that I also said if a national network gets the games, the local is shut out. That's standard policy; it has nothing to do with Cornell. It's the ECAC that determines the policy for their tourney, not CU.

Look at what happens for NCAA games; they make the rules not the school. SU has beer for sale at the Dome, but if it's an NCAA playoff and the NCAA doesn't want beer, guess what, there's no beer. You can scream at the school all you want, but they don't control it.

So, if you said you were going to yell to the ECAC, go ahead, it won't help, but go ahead. However, if you want to complain about CU, then you're barking up the wrong tree. They don't control it. Last year there was no b2, so I'm not surprised they showed it through CU. This year is just different. So yeah, maybe you should reconsider and scream to the ECAC.

Now, if this tournament is different than all others, and CU does have control, then I'm certainly willing to say I'm wrong. I doubt it, but it could be so.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 03, 2008 09:26PM

Jim Hyla
So, if you said you were going to yell to the ECAC, go ahead, it won't help, but go ahead. However, if you want to complain about CU, then you're barking up the wrong tree. They don't control it. Last year there was no b2, so I'm not surprised they showed it through CU. This year is just different. So yeah, maybe you should reconsider and scream to the ECAC.

Now, if this tournament is different than all others, and CU does have control, then I'm certainly willing to say I'm wrong. I doubt it, but it could be so.
Yes, the ECAC controls the tournament contract, not Cornell. But in a 12 team conference individual schools have more influence than in the 300+ team NCAA Division One. So if you can convince Cornell to support your position you've got a leg up on convincing the ECAC. B2 probably does not have a long term contract, so changes may be possible (theoretically, at least).

I suspect the fundamental issue here is that there isn't that much money to made broadcasting college hockey games on the web. The market is just too small. In order to produce a somewhat professional product and make some money they need to charge what seems like a hefty fee. Remember that bandwidth, and thus costs, increases with every viewer in a way that doesn't happen for TV or radio.

They're counting on some folks being dedicated enough that they will fork out the cash, even at half the price of a ticket per game. As much as I love Cornell hockey, $8 per game is too much for me to justify so I will either listen to radio or follow on the forum.

Date: March 03, 2008 09:45PM

KeithK
Jim Hyla

Yes, the ECAC controls the tournament contract, not Cornell. But in a 12 team conference individual schools have more influence than in the 300+ team NCAA Division One. So if you can convince Cornell to support your position you've got a leg up on convincing the ECAC. B2 probably does not have a long term contract, so changes may be possible (theoretically, at least).

I suspect the fundamental issue here is that there isn't that much money to made broadcasting college hockey games on the web. The market is just too small. In order to produce a somewhat professional product and make some money they need to charge what seems like a hefty fee. Remember that bandwidth, and thus costs, increases with every viewer in a way that doesn't happen for TV or radio.

They're counting on some folks being dedicated enough that they will fork out the cash, even at half the price of a ticket per game. As much as I love Cornell hockey, $8 per game is too much for me to justify so I will either listen to radio or follow on the forum.

I too know that playoffs are the ECAC's show, but I am disappointed that it appears like they didn't work with the member schools to come up with a package that works with what their fans/schools already have in hand and doesn't make them (the fans) feel like they are being totally screwed and "unappreciated".

I have a hard time believing that there will be that many "new" subscribers buying games at $8 a pop, to make up for those of us who have decided that this is just too much (given how much I have already spent for Cornell hockey video).

Posted by: Kristoph (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 03, 2008 09:58PM

Do student season ticket gamers need to buy new ticks for the forthcoming weekend of hockey against Green? Do the three extra provided suffice? Just making sure, sorry. What I am coming to approach is: What about the tourney playoffs in Albany, New York? How to obtain? How to get there (not directions, but autobus)? This scenario is long off though. Beat Union (Onion?) first! Cheers, and LGR!

Kristoph

Sie sungen und sprungen und waren froh
und lebten ohn' alle Sorgen.

Posted by: sah67 (---.65.171.66.subscriber.vzavenue.net)
Date: March 03, 2008 10:25PM

redhair34
Rita
I think I maybe relying on Jason's radio calls.

I hope that will be available.

cornellbigred.com
Live Audio
While Cornell RedCast will not have the streaming video of this weekend's games at Lynah Rink, fans can still hear Jason Weinstein's radio call of the action from WHCU 870 AM through their normal RedCast subscription options. Each game this weekend will be available through the system

Posted by: cdpt08 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 03, 2008 11:00PM

[www.unionathletics.com]

Or you can buy your tickets and go to the Union games in Schenectady. For students, all session passes are only $15. Adults $25 for all session passes. I called today and got tickets next to the Cornell section. I recommend getting your tickets to Union early, as its a very small rink and will probably sell out. Hopefully we can get a lot of Cornell fans there.

However, we have to get to that point first, something I'm banking on...

Posted by: jkahn (---.area4.spcsdns.net)
Date: March 03, 2008 11:04PM

The Redcast information page, [cornellbigred.com] says:

"* All home sprint football, men's basketball, women's basketball, men's ice hockey, men's lacrosse, women's lacrosse and wrestling contests."
I think the reasonable expectation, based upon both interpretation of the above and past practice, is that playoff games are included. So we're getting shafted here.
By the way, you can get the NCAA basketball tournament live, on-line, for free:[elf.elynah.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2008 11:42PM by jkahn.

Posted by: BCrespi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 03, 2008 11:24PM

Beat Dartmouth first, you mean. We certainly can't think ahead to Union, much less Albany, even though we have played well against DC so far this year.

Posted by: CM cWo 44 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 04, 2008 02:14PM

FWIW, bought 4 tix today. They had plenty in every section on the townie side. There were none available for the student side, which are part of the season package (as of today).

Date: March 10, 2008 12:44PM

polar
They now include playoff tickets on the undergrad sheets. Should still be able to find plenty, I expect
Sunday's "crowd" wouldn't have even been a sellout before the renovations.

If everyone with season tickets does now, in fact, have playoff games included, that means there were at least 438 tickets available for every game this year after season tickets were accounted for. Not sure how many tickets are reserved for the visiting team, but I can't imagine it's more than 100. So there were, at a minimum, over 300 unsold season tickets again, and that's assuming the ticket office didn't sell a single ticket for Sunday's game.

Several student sections were more than half empty at the start of the game and I don't think it peaked at more than 2/3 capacity. I guess Athletics' mismanagement of men's hockey is finally taking a visible toll.

Having said that, I thought the crowd that did show up was fairly impressive, except for the constant "Thank You Seniors" at the end. Just cause you can't get your lazy ass to Schenectady doesn't mean their season is over.

Posted by: redhair34 (136.167.248.---)
Date: March 10, 2008 01:27PM

CowbellGuy
Just cause you can't get your lazy ass to Schenectady doesn't mean their season is over.

Damn straight rock

Posted by: upperdeck (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 10, 2008 09:11PM

not that there have been that many game 3's but everyone I have seen has had a poor crowd. I understand us Townie's not showing on a sunday night, but where are the kids? one reason they went an all or nothing and make us by the season tickets early was to make the home crowd better. most people wont just throw the tickets away. and of course the policy of no refund unless you ask for it.. nice CS by CU..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login