Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Joe Devin Suspension (updated 2/14/08)

Posted by lynah80 
Joe Devin Suspension (updated 2/14/08)
Posted by: lynah80 (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 14, 2008 01:22AM

From the Ithaca Journal 2/13/2008
=================================
Cornell hockey: Cornell's Devin to sit out 2 games

By Brandon Thomas
blthomas@ithacajournal.com
Journal Staff

ITHACA — ECAC Hockey announced Wednesday afternoon that Cornell's Joe Devin has been suspended for the Big Red's next two games as a result of his hit on St. Lawrence defenseman Jared Ross on Saturday.

The incident occurred at the 1:21 mark of the second period. Devin was assessed a five-minute major for contact to the head and a game disqualification, which carries with it an automatic one game suspension. On Wednesday, the league extended that suspension to include both of this weekend's games at Lynah Rink — Friday against Union and Saturday against RPI.

Ross was injured on the play, lying on the ice for 5-10 minutes before being wheeled off on a stretcher. Ross had movement in his extremities but was taken to a North Country hospital for precautionary measures, Cornell assistant director of athletic communications Kevin Zeise said. A CAT scan and X-rays both came back negative.

===================================

It looks like Jared suffered a concussion. See:

[www.theithacajournal.com]

Let's hope he is back to normal very soon.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2008 06:10PM by lynah80.

Re: Joe Devin Suspension
Posted by: Josh '99 (---.courts.state.ny.us)
Date: February 14, 2008 12:06PM

Jeez - sounds really bad, what kind of a hit was it?

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.uml.edu)
Date: February 14, 2008 01:56PM

Someone who was there can be more enlightening, but from an SLU fan over at USCHO I got this general report - it was a clean hit as far as timing was concerned, but Devin got his elbow up and made contact with the head.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.courts.state.ny.us)
Date: February 14, 2008 02:39PM

oceanst41
Someone who was there can be more enlightening, but from an SLU fan over at USCHO I got this general report - it was a clean hit as far as timing was concerned, but Devin got his elbow up and made contact with the head.
Gotcha. Can't argue with an elbow to the head being seriously penalized.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: February 14, 2008 02:58PM

Josh '99
oceanst41
Gotcha. Can't argue with an elbow to the head being seriously penalized.
On the other hand, you can ask whether extra suspension is warranted. Certainly the league wants to strongly discourage contact to the head in order to safeguard player safety. But the DQ already does that. It seems to me that it's appropriate for the league to impose extra penalties when either the game referee failed to properly penalize the player (not the case here) or the hit showed clear intent to injure. The fact that the kid was taken out on a stretcher does NOT in and of itself indicate intent to injure or warrant additional penalties IMO.

I'm not really arguing against the suspension here because I haven't seen the play. It may well have been very deserving of additional punishment.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: February 14, 2008 03:15PM

KeithK
Certainly the league wants to strongly discourage contact to the head in order to safeguard player safety. But the DQ already does that. It seems to me that it's appropriate for the league to impose extra penalties when either the game referee failed to properly penalize the player (not the case here) or the hit showed clear intent to injure.
The third possibility is that the referee didn't have the authority to properly punish the player. The ref's effective ceiling is the current game plus one more. Theoretically I suppose it might be possible for a ref to issue multiple DQs, but I haven't seen that ever done in a college game. That means the league (and the team) have the responsibility of meting out additional punishment.

I have no idea whether the hit deserved an extra game on the pine, but I think the league is within its proper sphere to do it.

Posted by: Avash (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: February 14, 2008 04:15PM

Trotsky
KeithK
Certainly the league wants to strongly discourage contact to the head in order to safeguard player safety. But the DQ already does that. It seems to me that it's appropriate for the league to impose extra penalties when either the game referee failed to properly penalize the player (not the case here) or the hit showed clear intent to injure.
The third possibility is that the referee didn't have the authority to properly punish the player. The ref's effective ceiling is the current game plus one more. Theoretically I suppose it might be possible for a ref to issue multiple DQs, but I haven't seen that ever done in a college game. That means the league (and the team) have the responsibility of meting out additional punishment.

I have no idea whether the hit deserved an extra game on the pine, but I think the league is within its proper sphere to do it.

Not only is it possible for a ref to issue multiple DQs... it happened to Carl Hudson this past weekend in the RIT-Canisius brawl: [collegehockeystats.net]

Today, Hudson was suspended for the rest of the regular season.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2008 04:15PM by Avash.

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: February 14, 2008 04:20PM

Avash
Not only is it possible for a ref to issue multiple DQs... it happened to Carl Hudson this past weekend in the RIT-Canisius brawl: [collegehockeystats.net]

You would know better than I would, Avash, but was Hudson given multiple DQ's for the fight or was it more like "DQ!" "FU, ref!" "DQ 2!"

Posted by: upperdeck (---.fcsnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 14, 2008 04:20PM

So kennedy gets hit. no penalty is out several weeks and it warrants nothing. Devin gets a penalty a game DQ and is in now gone for almost 2 weeks..

the only difference is that Kennedy was knocked down and able to skate off while wobbly never to return and the STL kid was carried off. has there been an update on his status?

Posted by: sah67 (---.65.171.66.subscriber.vzavenue.net)
Date: February 14, 2008 04:38PM

The league handed out the same suspension that Devin got to the RPI player (Burgdorfer?) who nailed Gallagher a few weeks ago. Gallagher remained in the lineup for the rest of the game.

Posted by: redhair34 (---.c3-0.nwt-ubr2.sbo-nwt.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: February 14, 2008 05:17PM

sah67
The league handed out the same suspension that Devin got to the RPI player (Burgdorfer?) who nailed Gallagher a few weeks ago. Gallagher remained in the lineup for the rest of the game.

he was suspended for the hit on Scali (Gallagher was also involved in a hit earlier in the game)

More on Jared Ross
Date: February 14, 2008 06:02PM

This is from Brandon Thomas of the Ithaca Journal:

February 14, 2008

Jared Ross update

I received a voice mail from St. Lawrence coach Joe Marsh this morning about Jared Ross' condition and just figured I'd pass it along. (See the beauty of this blog idea?)

Marsh confirmed Ross has a concussion and won't be playing this weekend — actually, he won't even be skating until the middle of next week at the earliest. As is usually the case with concussed players, everything will be played by ear moving forward.

For those of you that missed it, Ross — a junior defenseman with the Saints — was knocked out by a hit from Cornell's winger Joe Devin last Saturday. [text omitted]

It's worth noting that everyone on both sides has moved on from the incident, though. So this is the last you'll hear of it.

"There are no hard feelings here," Marsh said. "They don't have a string attached to the guy. It was a pretty scary hit. But the Cornell guys did as great of a job with the situation as they could."

Posted at 9:26 AM
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2008 06:22PM by lynah80.

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 14, 2008 06:21PM

upperdeck
So kennedy gets hit. no penalty is out several weeks and it warrants nothing. Devin gets a penalty a game DQ and is in now gone for almost 2 weeks..

the only difference is that Kennedy was knocked down and able to skate off while wobbly never to return and the STL kid was carried off. has there been an update on his status?

From what I remember from watching the video the hit on Kennedy wasn't an illegal one. He had to look backwards to receive a pass and that allowed the defending player to step up.

Re: Joe Devin Suspension (updated 2/14/08)
Posted by: upperdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 14, 2008 07:22PM

any hit to the head is illegal.. the ref ruled he didnt get hit in the head which he did. he also got a concussion and hasnt played since.. why does one warrant more of a penalty than the other if its all comeing after the fact?

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: February 14, 2008 07:59PM

upperdeck
any hit to the head is illegal.. the ref ruled he didnt get hit in the head which he did. he also got a concussion and hasnt played since.. why does one warrant more of a penalty than the other if its all comeing after the fact?
If the ref ruled he didn't get hit in the head then maybe it was more borderline contact to the head and therefore less worthy of extra discipline than a clear shot.

Someone earlier mentioned the suspension given to the RPI player. If the league is consistent about issuing suspensions for dangerous contact to the head then I don't have a problem with it even when it burns Cornell.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 14, 2008 08:27PM

upperdeck

You answered your own question. They ruled it no foul, therefore the fact he got a concussion doesn't matter. I don't know if video got reviewed at ECAC offices, but I assume they would have had to see a flagrant foul to override the ref.

This is not a case of "no harm, no foul", but rather "no foul, but harm".

Posted by: sah67 (---.65.171.66.subscriber.vzavenue.net)
Date: February 14, 2008 10:17PM

redhair34
sah67

he was suspended for the hit on Scali (Gallagher was also involved in a hit earlier in the game)

Whoops

Posted by: cbuckser (76.197.0.---)
Date: February 14, 2008 10:24PM

For the last couple of years, Bob McKenzie, who has a vested interest in how the ECAC disciplines players for head shots, has been advocating an NHL crackdown on hits to the head.

I agree. Cracking down on these dangerous hits, even in situations where the offender didn't intend to cause injury, will make the game safer and hopefully not significantly deter players from checking someone in the chest.

Posted by: Avash (---.dhcp.chop.edu)
Date: February 15, 2008 11:38AM

ugarte
Avash

You would know better than I would, Avash, but was Hudson given multiple DQ's for the fight or was it more like "DQ!" "FU, ref!" "DQ 2!"

Not sure if a player would get a second game DQ just for mouthing off... however, the reason for Hudson's two game DQs last Friday was that he was already IN the penalty box, and then came back out and started fighting again. He also straddled RIT's Andrew Favot and slammed his (helmeted) head into the ice.

I'd imagine it was the latter move that got him suspended until the playoffs.

Posted by: Rich S (---.wayneschools.com)
Date: February 15, 2008 02:52PM

But...a hit to the head is a foul. That's true at the college level and every level below that. Sounds like the refs did not see that but a reviewer did.

Re: Jared Ross 2/22/08
Date: February 23, 2008 12:07AM

Jared Ross was on the ice for St. Lawrence tonight. I don't know how well he played, but he had a +1 rating. That's good news.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2008 12:08AM by lynah80.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2008 02:06AM

lynah80
Jared Ross was on the ice for St. Lawrence tonight. I don't know how well he played, but he had a +1 rating. That's good news.
Ross saw it as a blurry +2.

Posted by: lynah80 (---.uphs.upenn.edu)
Date: February 24, 2008 02:31AM

billhoward
lynah80
Ross saw it as a blurry +2.

Lame humor. The kid was clobbered by Devin and could have had much more than a concussion. Let's all be grateful that he didn't.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 24, 2008 12:41PM

billhoward
Something lame

Lame humor. The kid was clobbered by Devin and could have had much more than a concussion. Let's all be grateful that he didn't.[/quote]

You're new here, no?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login