Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Goalie goal for Harvard

Posted by sah67 
Goalie goal for Harvard
Posted by: sah67 (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 22, 2008 09:41PM

Richter got a goal tonight in Harvard's 6-1 thumping of Yale. It happened on the ever rare, score-on-your-own-empty-net-on-a-delayed-penalty play by Yale, and as Richter was the last to touch it, he gets the goal.

Re: Goalie goal for Harvard
Posted by: PAthologicalLynah (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 22, 2008 09:55PM

Meh, that doesn't really count, IMHO. The goalie has to shoot it for it to be a real goalie goal. Although it is typical of sucks to take something that's a C+ at best and call it an A.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2008 10:02PM by PAthologicalLynah.

Posted by: RichH (76.28.11.---)
Date: February 23, 2008 02:31AM

sah67
Richter got a goal tonight in Harvard's 6-1 thumping of Yale. It happened on the ever rare, score-on-your-own-empty-net-on-a-delayed-penalty play by Yale, and as Richter was the last to touch it, he gets the goal.

This was discussed tonight at Quinnipiac. Right after QU pulled Bud, Scrivens made a save, and QU then missed a pass back to the blue line, sending the puck to the length of the ice. Obviously far from hitting the net, but we still mentioned the possibility. Little did we know this happened tonight in the ECAC.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2008 02:34PM

It happened in the AHL Wednesday night. [www.dailyherald.com]
Daily Herald
Opponents couldn't find a way to beat the Chicago Wolves for over two weeks, so the Wolves helped one out.

The Wolves were looking for their eighth consecutive win when they went into overtime with the Manitoba Moose on Wednesday.

Four minutes in, a delayed penalty was signaled against the Moose, prompting Wolves goalie Ondrej Pavelec to leave the ice and another skater to come on.

A moment later, Wolves center Steve Martins possessed the puck behind the Moose's net and tried to fire a pass to the point. The puck skidded past its desired target, traveled the entire length of the ice and ended up in the Wolves' empty net for the game-winner.

Billy Gardner, the Wolves' color analyst, summed it up on the telecast by saying, "Absolutely amazing."

Wolves general manager Kevin Cheveldayoff, who has been around the game his whole life, was just as shocked.

"If you're around the game long enough, you see everything," he said.

Because goalie Drew MacIntyre was the last Moose player to touch the puck, he was credited with the goal. It made him the ninth goalie in AHL history to score and the first ever against the Wolves.

"I'll take it," said MacIntyre to the Winnipeg Sun News. "That's the bounce, I guess."

Cheveldayoff and the Wolves weren't as interested in the fun facts.

"It looks great in the papers, but like anything else it's the same amount of points, it's the same amount of feeling whether you win or lose," he said. "It's one of those things; you lost in overtime and you move on."

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: February 23, 2008 02:48PM

How many other goalies have gotten the game winning goal in overtime? Pretty cool, even if he didn't shoot it.

Posted by: PAthologicalLynah (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 23, 2008 03:13PM

David Harding

Here's a youtube link if anyone's interested:

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2008 03:48PM

PAthologicalLynah
David Harding

Here's a youtube link if anyone's interested:
That closing view of Brett Sterling (Colorado College) standing in front of the net says it all. Exhaustion, frustration, disgust. He looks as though he is about to break into tears.

Posted by: RichH (76.28.11.---)
Date: February 23, 2008 09:39PM

David Harding
A moment later, Wolves center Steve Martins possessed the puck behind the Moose's net and tried to fire a pass to the point. The puck skidded past its desired target, traveled the entire length of the ice and ended up in the Wolves' empty net for the game-winner.

HA! I can't believe that guy is still around. (1994 ECAC POY, BTW)

[www.hockeydb.com]

Reason #4687 why Harvard sucks.

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 23, 2008 09:59PM

KeithK
How many other goalies have gotten the game winning goal in overtime? Pretty cool, even if he didn't shoot it.

The closest I've ever heard was Andrew Allen's game-winner against Harvard, although he didn't exactly shoot it either. I dug up this account from the HOCKEY-L archives:

> With Vermont firmly in the prevent-defense mode [leading 3-2] and Harvard
> set in overdrive, Jonas was pulled from his net with 44 seconds remaining
> in the contest. The Crimson pounded the puck deep in the Vermont zone, but
> an attempted centering pass from behind the net richocheted off the stick
> of Catamount goaltender Andrew Allen and down the length of the ice. The
> open-net tally was Allen's career first and it extended Vermont's lead to
> 4-2.

Allen then proceeded to "vulture" himself the game-winning goal by allowing Harvard to score with one second left, making the final 4-3.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2008 10:01PM by Give My Regards.

Posted by: Rita (---.dhcp.insightbb.com)
Date: February 23, 2008 10:27PM

RichH
David Harding

HA! I can't believe that guy is still around. (1994 ECAC POY, BTW)

[www.hockeydb.com]

Reason #4687 why Harvard sucks.

I thought that might be former Harvard player Martins... but I didn't think former as in the 90's! cry I was thinking maybe 2000, but didn't get around to checking on hockeydb.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login