Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Time for a change

Posted by tvset 
Time for a change
Posted by: tvset (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2008 10:47AM

Definition from the Internet : "Coaching is an art as well as a science. An effective coach understands how to communicate with players in a way that gets results. The goal of coaching is to guide, inspire and empower the athlete to realize and develop his or her potential."
I feel we have had alot of very good players in recent years with alot of offensive talent. But I do not think that talent is being fully utilized. The Big Red has been noted as a very good defensive team in the past. But now with the influx of talented, faster and smaller offensive player, it is time to adjust our game plan to highlight there talents.
Last nights game against Union only highlighted several problem that have been our bain this year. 1. Loss of momentum - Coming out strong and getting a 2 or 3 point lead then going to prevent defense and LOSING. 2. The backdoor - we are leaving it wide open with all our focus on the side with the puck and the opposing teams are working a man to our backdoor and scoring. 3 times last night and last week, Clarkson posted a man there just waiting for the puck . 3. The amount of ice we give up in transition. Clarkson's defenders stayed in our passing lanes within sticks length of the puck and effectively stopped our offense in the neutral zone all too often. 4. Cheerleading and Mentoring - our coaches need to fire themselves up and become part of the game, part of the team and not just inanimate wall flowers on the bench.

IN CLOSING : there is a line by Clint Eastwood from some military movie about Granada where he says - "You have to adapt and improvise!" to his men during a seemless impossible situation. NOW is the time for Mike to listen to these words. Sometimes, the best defense is a good offense, coach the team to their strengths. ADAPT and IMPROVISE ! ! ! !

Re: Time for a change
Posted by: MOBalum (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 16, 2008 11:03AM

I'm no hockey expert, but the line is "Adapt and overcome" and the movie is Heartbreak Ridge.

Go Red

Posted by: tvset (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2008 11:08AM

I like your line too. It was used at leat twice in the movie,once with his men for motivational reasons and once to the general as an explanation.

Go BIG RED

Posted by: PAthologicalLynah (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2008 12:22PM

The change that I think needs to happen IMMEDIATELY is getting rid of this concept of a "building season." It's going the way of the dodo. NHL teams are starting to realize that the sooner they get these kids into their systems, the more likely it is they will succeed at that level. Hockey East and the western conferences have already been dealing with this for a long time, but as the scouts see how deep the talent goes (thanks to players like Midget, in the ECACHL specifically) it's going to be way more frequent to see players only playing a year or two.

The Cornell program has gotten successful enough to the point where it can perpetually recruit players that will be moving up without playing 4 years. Either the program has to adjust to that fact and continue to compete EVERY SINGLE YEAR, or eventually they won't be able to land those recruits anymore.

I think this sort of fits the first post in that it's time for the attitude to change, and for the team to start with the most cliched of basics. Play one game at a time, and focus on winning that one game. In particular, winning a game in your own barn, so that your own fans will be able to see two more home games. This whole "well don't worry, we'll get you next year" is never going to work, that's how the sucks program has been operating for the last 10 years.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 16, 2008 12:37PM

"Wait 'til next year" might be defeatist. It might be realistic, too. Realistic might better be put as, "It ain't gonna happen this year."

I kind of liked Bill Murray's reverse psychology battle cry in Meatballs, "It just doesn't matter. It just doesn't matter."

That said, here's to hoping Cornell's awakening is just a bit late. We've had some horrible January's followed by awesome February's. Maybe the team just wanted to get through Valentine's Day, catch their bearings on Friday, and start setting the world on fire Saturday.

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 16, 2008 01:06PM

Let's be honest with ourselves here, we knew Cornell was going to have a tough time gaining position through OOC this year (especially after BU). With the state of things in the ECAC not helping that standing either, that meant Cornell would have had to sweep their OOC and nearly run the table in the ECAC to gain an autobid to the NCAAs.

After MSG and Florida went south (no pun intended ;-)), I know I readjusted my outlook on the year. I knew Cornell would have to win in Albany in order to make the NCAAs. That fact hasn't changed, so there is still a shot at it.

If there is one major flaw with this team though it's finishing games. Typically younger, inexperienced teams struggle with this aspect of the game. And we've seen it over and over again this year out of Cornell. A team that can't finish a regular season home game against Union probably isn't capable of doing in the NCAAs either.

This is part of the reason why the '04-'05 and '05-'06 teams were so good, because they went through '03-'04 and had a pretty brutal playoff series with Clarkson (I'm still not over watching that happen). Had that team not gone through a failure to close out a game, and series, they may not have been as motivated to close the door on nearly everyone over the course of the next two years.

Posted by: redice (---.154.222.84.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: February 16, 2008 03:53PM

I notice most of the knowledgeable people on this forum have not replied to this thread in the five hours since it started. Those people people are either incredibly busy and not read this thread. Or they're following my second instinct (to ignore this foolishness). My first instinct was to rip into tvset for his/her nonsensical suggestions for the team to implement. This note represents my third instinct.

That said, I will simply say that if you're not happy with the play of the men's hockey team, go watch the basketball team. They're winning more than the hockey team. That should make you happy.....

Posted by: Townie (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2008 04:23PM

....or lacrosse, who scrimmaged Hopkins today and won 12-8.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 16, 2008 04:33PM

Townie
Or wrestling, which is likely to sweep the Ivy League again, is a top 20 (at least) team and could have as many as 6 All-Americans (Gray, Lewnes, Anceravage, Leen, Arnone and Hammond).

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 16, 2008 05:00PM

ugarte
Townie
Or wrestling, which is likely to sweep the Ivy League again, is a top 20 (at least) team and could have as many as 6 All-Americans (Gray, Lewnes, Anceravage, Leen, Arnone and Hammond).
And who nipped Penn today in maybe the craziest match in a long time. Two ranked Cornell wrestlers (Hammond and Arnone) were upset, Lewnes didn't wrestle, Cornell trailed by three with two matches to go: 125, where our unranked Rodriguez was up against their #8 ranked-nationally Peterkin, and our #2-ranked Grey facing an unranked Penn guy. Rodriguez jumps up and majors Peterkin, 14-4, to put Cornell up by one and Grey handles his guy 14-7 to avoid the upset. Rodriguez's win rivals last night's basketball finish on the amazing scale.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2008 05:09PM

redice
Or they're following my second instinct (to ignore this foolishness).

You got it.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 16, 2008 05:18PM

The hoops team wins all the time, and they're right next door.

Edit: redice beat me to it. Nothing to see here, move along.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2008 05:20PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: PAthologicalLynah (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2008 06:07PM

You're totally right, and that's a great movie :) The silver lining is that now would be the ideal time to get hot. I'm sure Schafer is going to breathe some fire up their, errrr....at them.

Posted by: lynah80 (---.uphs.upenn.edu)
Date: February 16, 2008 06:20PM

I agree that Cornell should have changed it's approach to the game this year. It doesn't have Pokulok-sized defensemen and I think Mike expected the smaller guys to play a game that is not appropriate for their smaller physiques. He benched guys who didn't meet his quotas for hits. For smaller, faster players, it is usually better to play the puck rather than the body. That can go a long way in keeping a team healthy through the end of March.

The game tonight against RPI will be a big game for building character in this year's team. They need to stay focused on the fact that they are a better team than RPI and that they need to beat RPI. A win will have important psychological effects on the players, not just for this year but for the rest of their careers at Cornell.

Go Big Red.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2008 06:25PM by lynah80.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2008 06:50PM

lynah80
They need to stay focused on the fact that they are a better team than RPI and that they need to beat RPI. A win will have important psychological effects on the players, not just for this year but for the rest of their careers at Cornell.

Go Big Red.

I dunno. I saw the last RPI game on television, and I didn't think we were better that night.

Date: February 16, 2008 11:40PM

Al DeFlorio
ugarte
Townie
And who nipped Penn today in maybe the craziest match in a long time. Two ranked Cornell wrestlers (Hammond and Arnone) were upset, Lewnes didn't wrestle, Cornell trailed by three with two matches to go: 125, where our unranked Rodriguez was up against their #8 ranked-nationally Peterkin, and our #2-ranked Grey facing an unranked Penn guy. Rodriguez jumps up and majors Peterkin, 14-4, to put Cornell up by one and Grey handles his guy 14-7 to avoid the upset. Rodriguez's win rivals last night's basketball finish on the amazing scale.
And followed that by beating Princeton 48-0 in only 9 matches, since they decided not to wrestle Hwt. (don't know why yet).

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 16, 2008 11:46PM

ugarte
And followed that by beating Princeton 48-0 in only 9 matches, since they decided not to wrestle Hwt. (don't know why yet).
Hammond was hurt in the Penn match. Hyperextended elbow, maybe.

Princeton forfeited three of the nine matches and four were won by fall.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2008 11:49PM by Al DeFlorio.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: February 17, 2008 09:18PM

redice
That said, I will simply say that if you're not happy with the play of the men's hockey team, go watch the basketball team. They're winning more than the hockey team. That should make you happy.....

I find the implication that being unhappy with losing three games in a row means I'm not a real Cornell hockey fan extraordinarily offensive. There's a huge gap between the spoiled younger fans who think we're supposed to get to the NCAA quarterfinals every year with ease, and the long-term fans who wish we were capable of holding our position in the standings against teams we should be able to beat.

Do I have any suggestions for the coach? No, I think there's a reason he has the job and I don't. So perhaps that's what was behind your suggestion. But if that's the case, you need to work on your suggestions a lot more carefully.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: ftyuv (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 17, 2008 10:01PM

Beeeej
redice

I find the implication that being unhappy with losing three games in a row means I'm not a real Cornell hockey fan extraordinarily offensive. There's a huge gap between the spoiled younger fans who think we're supposed to get to the NCAA quarterfinals every year with ease, and the long-term fans who wish we were capable of holding our position in the standings against teams we should be able to beat.

Do I have any suggestions for the coach? No, I think there's a reason he has the job and I don't. So perhaps that's what was behind your suggestion. But if that's the case, you need to work on your suggestions a lot more carefully.

I'll take that and add that what you (redice) have basically advocated is a philosophy of "if you don't like something, don't try to change it for the better; just abandon ship."

Date: February 17, 2008 10:49PM

Al DeFlorio
ugarte
Hammond was hurt in the Penn match. Hyperextended elbow, maybe.
I knew that Hammond was hurt; I didn't know why we didn't wrestle Jochym in his place. Apparently Princeton's Hwt. was ill and I guess Koll didn't feel the need to accept another forfeit just to make it 54-0.

Posted by: redice (---.154.221.44.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: February 18, 2008 07:13AM

Beeeej
redice

OMG Beeeej!! My comments were directed to some of the people posting above me in this thread. It was not directed at EVERY CU Hockey fan in the universe. I think we're being a little touchy here.. And, when I feel a need for advice on my "suggestions", I'll PM you...;-) Tnx. BTW, I'm never happy when the hockey team loses!! I hope that's okay with the hockey gods.....

ftyuv: I don't necessarily view some of the early posts in this thread as an attempt to "change it for the better". They were just simply criticisms. If we held any delusions that Mike & his assistant coaches A) read this forum and/or B) give any credence to the opinions expressed here, then these discussions could fall within the realm of trying to make things better. Since A & B in very unlikely to be the case, it's just criticisms.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.techtarget.com)
Date: February 18, 2008 08:47AM

There's something to that, redice, but just because someone can't actually effect a change, doesn't mean they should be chastised for wanting it. It's not like fans lamenting what they see as a weakness in their team, even if they don't have any control over it, is without precedence... makes for interesting chatter between the mob-mentality LGRs. ;-)

And it's not like the OP is totally out of left field on this point, imho. The subject has been brought up before (I don't have stats, but anecdotally I feel like it usually gets bashed as it has here), and I think there's certainly a point to be made about the coaching staff lagging behind the curve in managing the smaller, faster type of play. Sure Cornell's doing well in the ECAC, but the conference as a whole isn't exactly a powerhouse as it goes though this transition.

Posted by: redice (---.154.221.44.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: February 18, 2008 09:03AM

ftyuv
And it's not like the OP is totally out of left field on this point, imho. The subject has been brought up before (I don't have stats, but anecdotally I feel like it usually gets bashed as it has here), and I think there's certainly a point to be made about the coaching staff lagging behind the curve in managing the smaller, faster type of play. Sure Cornell's doing well in the ECAC, but the conference as a whole isn't exactly a powerhouse as it goes though this transition.

You're right in saying "there's certainly a point to be made about the coaching staff lagging behind the curve in managing the smaller, faster type of play." I may not agree with that point. But, it's point well worthy of discussion.

I've long been of the opinion that Cornell's greatest chance for success at the national level is to bring in a group of disciplined & physical players who can be taught to play defense in the Mike Shafer mold. Defensive hockey can be taught. Offensive hockey is much more of a style based on raw talent. I don't think Cornell (or most Ivys, in general), will ever have the recruiting draw that will bring in enough snipers to win with an offensive style.

It's not as much fun to watch. But, I prefer shut-down defensive hockey that wins games. The 2002-03 team is a good example.

Date: February 18, 2008 11:19AM

redice
Beeeej
redice

OMG Beeeej!! My comments were directed to some of the people posting above me in this thread. It was not directed at EVERY CU Hockey fan in the universe. I think we're being a little touchy here.. And, when I feel a need for advice on my "suggestions", I'll PM you...;-) Tnx. BTW, I'm never happy when the hockey team loses!! I hope that's okay with the hockey gods.....

You're never happy when the hockey team loses? Well, why don't you go watch the damn hoops team, then?! smashfreak

Sorry, but even now in context with your explanation, the implication seems clear, at least to me - you can be unhappy about the hockey team doing poorly, but if you complain about it or have the temerity to offer solutions, you don't deserve to be a member of the Faithful. I stand by my original "work on your suggestions" suggestion. :-)

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: RichH (216.195.201.---)
Date: February 18, 2008 12:15PM

Beeeej
redice

Screw you all. I'm going to go watch polo. They win national championships often.

Personally, I don't get the "win at all costs. If you don't, I'm not going to watch" mentality. I guess it's the frontrunner/bandwagon attitude in American sports. Trinity College packs in over 1000 fans for squash matches. Why? They haven't lost a match since Feb. 1998. Winning breeds fans who learn about the game, but I bet that half the students there would even think about going to a squash match if their team weren't so dominant.

Me? I really like hockey and lacrosse. I'm going to go to games and watch even if CU gets blown out 15-0 every game. Personally, I just don't like the sport of basketball. I root for the Cornell team to do well because I like to see my college's athletic teams succeed, and I support the great dedication that true student-athletes demonstrate. It's just the same as with volleyball, field hockey, crew, etc. I'm just as likely to go to one of those events as I am a CU basketball game.

Sorry for this cross-thread quoting, but I think it's appropriate here. On the NY Times blog thread on the "other sports" forum, jksnake06 said:
jksnake06
I think its time to take a break from hockey and lacrosse and focus on Men's and Women's hoops. They have a chance to bring a lot of national attention to Cornell.

Anyone telling me that I need to go pay attention to "X" instead of the one that I like because we're really good doesn't really fly with me. I would never try take away from the people who do happen to really like basketball or wrestling or whatever. If I do go to one of the other events (I went to Cornell @ Yale basketball) it's because I enjoy the contest, the school spirit/comraderie, and spending time with friends.

Back to this thread, when you start saying the "I demand for the program to be successful. Turn it around or you'll lose my support," I feel like we've lost track of what collegiate sports are supposed to be.

Posted by: redice (---.154.223.151.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: February 18, 2008 07:02PM

Beeeej
redice
Beeeej
redice

You're never happy when the hockey team loses? Well, why don't you go watch the damn hoops team, then?! smashfreak

Sorry, but even now in context with your explanation, the implication seems clear, at least to me - you can be unhappy about the hockey team doing poorly, but if you complain about it or have the temerity to offer solutions, you don't deserve to be a member of the Faithful. I stand by my original "work on your suggestions" suggestion. :-)

snore

Date: February 20, 2008 12:48AM

redice
Beeeej
redice
Beeeej
redice

snore

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 20, 2008 02:30AM

Beeeej
What do you want me to do, LEAVE? Then they'll keep being wrong!

Thanks Beeeej, I spent 10 minutes laughing at that one and I kind of wanted to go to bed.

On the plus side, I'm 10 minutes closer to being back in shape.

Posted by: redice (---.154.219.27.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: February 20, 2008 09:14AM

Beeeej
redice
Beeeej
redice
Beeeej
redice

snore

OMG, he finally admits it!!!!!!!!! ;-)

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 20, 2008 12:16PM

Man, talk about thread drift. Knock it off, or you'll lose my support!

deadhorse

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login