Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell - BU Postgame Party

Posted by grizzdan24 
Cornell - BU Postgame Party
Posted by: grizzdan24 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 18, 2007 05:37PM

Are there any bars or parties that Cornell fans are planning on going to after the game on Saturday? We want to go to a bar that is completely taken over by Cornell Hockey fans! Do you have any specific suggestions?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2007 12:48AM by grizzdan24.

Re: Cornell - BU Postgame Party
Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2007 12:45AM

Yes.

Posted by: sah67 (---.64.171.66.subscriber.vzavenue.net)
Date: November 19, 2007 04:28PM

So much for Stout...I just got a Facebook invitation from the Class of 2007 for their "official Red Hot After Party" at Stout. I don't know what's worse, "Red Hot After Party" or the Stout crawling with face-timers.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (155.72.24.---)
Date: November 19, 2007 04:57PM

sah67
So much for Stout...I just got a Facebook invitation from the Class of 2007 for their "official Red Hot After Party" at Stout. I don't know what's worse, "Red Hot After Party" or the Stout crawling with face-timers.

I'm missing something:

ELynah thread discussing pre-game get-together spots = Faithful

Non-ELynah thread discussing post-game get-together sports = Face-timers

I know it sounds crazy, but aren't there some "real" fans who don't post here?

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: November 19, 2007 05:11PM

Jordan 04
No.

Date: November 19, 2007 05:20PM

Jordan 04
sah67

I'm missing something:

It wasn't a non-Elynah "thread" though...it was an Email sent to the entire class 0f 2007. I'm sure there's a couple of facetimers in there somewhere ;)

Posted by: Jacob 03 (---.pratt.edu)
Date: November 19, 2007 05:25PM

sah67
It wasn't a non-Elynah "thread" though...it was an Email sent to the entire class 0f 2007. I'm sure there's a couple of facetimers in there somewhere ;)
The entire class of 2007 is on Facebook? Or do I just not understand how that stuff works?

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: November 19, 2007 05:50PM

CowbellGuy
Jordan 04
No.
Spoken like the webmaster of this forum. :-}

Posted by: RichH (216.195.201.---)
Date: November 19, 2007 07:44PM

Jordan 04
sah67

I'm missing something:

What you're missing is that there are 2 kinds of facetiming that relate to this forum: (A) In hockey arenas and (B) outside of hockey arenas. The mistake that sah67 made was mixing up the hockey definition of "facetimer" with the non-hockey definition. I'll try to elaborate:

If I cared, my definition of "facetimer" is someone who is at a place to see and be seen. The internal focus is on them...that THEY are there, not the event.

In eLynahLand, this has a decidedly negative connotation. If you're in Lynah only because "it's THE thing to do" and you want to make sure your friends know you're there and doing the hip thing on campus, you're a facetimer. Some know the chants, cheers, players, and so forth. Others are more obvious and during play talk about the party last night, and txting people, etc. The focus is on the fact that THEY are at the game.

Those that are considered around these parts to be a non-facetimer (or a Faithful, if you like), tends to be the opposite...i.e. the GAME is where they are. You couldn't care less about who sees you, what you're doing, what you're wearing. The only thing you care about is what happens in the game. Chants and cheers exist to influence the game and the atmosphere. The GAME is the focus.

Now, that's the hockey definition. In the world outside hockey arenas, the same metric is used, but in the hockey community, we get a different result. Let's take gatherings at John Harvard's or Jillians (or Mudpuddles if you're old and like Lake Placid) as an example.

Say you walk into Jillians in Albany one fine March night in 2008 after Cornell clinched their 12th ECAC championship. Everyone is still in their red gear, jerseys, and facepaint, really whooping it up. A cowbell appears, songs are sung, drinks are drunk. Great times. It's the place to see and be seen. Facetimer. The focus is that WE, as a fanbase, are there. Jillian's is a bar/restaurant. If the food/drinks being served there were the focus, it wouldn't be facetiming. You can get a burger at the BK on Wolf Road and drink a beer in your hotel room...especially since there's a cover at Jillian's and the food really isn't that great there anyway. Anyone who goes to a set location for a pre- or post-game gathering is a facetimer in the non-hockey sense.

In that case, and at John Harvards, and this gathering at Stout...it's facetiming. I fully admit to doing it. No sweat. It's part of our community, our culture. Just don't talk to me about your boyfriend's new car while Greening is carrying the puck up the slot.

Date: November 19, 2007 08:06PM

RichH

What you're missing is that there are 2 kinds of facetiming that relate to this forum: (A) In hockey arenas and (B) outside of hockey arenas. The mistake that sah67 made was mixing up the hockey definition of "facetimer" with the non-hockey definition.

I appreciate Rich's elaboration, and I realized that I was indeed mixing up two very different uses of face-timer. Allow me to rephrase:

So much for Stout...according to this Class of 2007 Facebook invitation I got, a whole bunch of people who ELF-ers wouldn't normally associate with, and who will probably have just attended their only Cornell game of the season, will be there after the game. I will not.

drunk

Date: November 19, 2007 08:07PM

Jacob 03
sah67
The entire class of 2007 is on Facebook? Or do I just not understand how that stuff works?

You'd be surprised at what us kids are up to with all this new technology. Now if only someone can explain that whole Myspace thing to me.

Posted by: qaa2 (---.dyn.columbia.edu)
Date: November 19, 2007 08:32PM

It still seems weird to me that class of 2007 is old enough to have a gathering at a bar.

Posted by: Omie (---.101.101.112.mcfaullyons.com)
Date: November 19, 2007 08:37PM

Considering MSG is 18000+ and Lynah is barely 4000+. It is safe to say the vast majority of people will be attending their only game of the season.

Besides the Stout event is to promote Class of 07 unity by taking advantage of the MSG game not to serve as an official post-party or rally.

Everyone is welcome though. :-}

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: November 20, 2007 10:44AM

RichH
Say you walk into Jillians in Albany one fine March night in 2008 after Cornell clinched their 12th ECAC championship. Everyone is still in their red gear, jerseys, and facepaint, really whooping it up. A cowbell appears, songs are sung, drinks are drunk. Great times. It's the place to see and be seen. Facetimer. The focus is that WE, as a fanbase, are there. Jillian's is a bar/restaurant. If the food/drinks being served there were the focus, it wouldn't be facetiming.
I don't agree with this. The food isn't the thing, but neither is seeing and being seen: WE ARE THE THING! We as a fanbase are there to be a fanbase, to party and to have fun. There is no ulterior motive, no brownie points for showing up, no ulterior purpose that belies what it looks like we are doing.

Your definition makes every party a facetiming event. Can't it just be a party?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: November 23, 2007 11:37AM

Returning to the original intent of the thread, are there any souls who'd like to do something in NYC after the game that, oh I dunno, doesn't involve partying? The way I figure it is this:

1. I've never been in NYC overnight, which is saying something, since I grew up on L.I. and am older than dirt.

2. It's allegedly the City that Never Sleeps.

3. We have a large number NYC natives and relocatees and residents as part of our fan base, who presumably know the city well and know all sorts of stuff to do.

4. There is much more to the city than drinking, even late at night. There must be restaurants, clubs, and all manner of other stuff.

5. I know the people I am going with very well. They are very nice people and they'll be asleep by 11. Ordinarily I would be, too, but this is a one shot deal.

So, anybody have any suggestions for a "NYC at 2 a.m." urban adventure trip?

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 25, 2007 05:36PM

>>> 2. It's allegedly the City that Never Sleeps.

It is. The garbage trucks make so damn much noise.

Posted by: Rich S (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 26, 2007 04:32AM

Don't forget the subways.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.nrl.navy.mil)
Date: November 26, 2007 11:35AM

Rich S
Don't forget the subways.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: November 26, 2007 12:14PM

billhoward
>>> 2. It's allegedly the City that Never Sleeps.

It is. The garbage trucks make so damn much noise.
I always found the garbage trucks rather comforting. Like a lullaby sometimes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login