Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell at Dartmouth pregame & video feed

Posted by billhoward 
Cornell at Dartmouth pregame & video feed
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 17, 2007 06:45PM

Dartmouth uses the same outfit as Harvard to broadcast video. They charge even more, $7.95 for a one month subscription that continues until you tell them to stop. Slimy MBA / marketing stuff - profit off people's failure to remember circa 12/17 to cancel the ongoing subscription. sTill cheaper than driving to Hanover.

The link: [www.dartmouthsports.com]

The warning:
>>> Big Green Insider Premium Monthly Subscription
Type: MONTHLY
Give it a try! Examine Big Green Insider on a monthly basis and you'll see why Dartmouth fans all over the world are hooked on Big Green Insider. You will have access to live and on-demand events, coach and player interviews, game previews, press conferences and literally hundreds of hours of exclusive pay-per-view features. You will be billed $7.95 plus applicable taxes each month until you go to the customer care menu option and cancel your subscription.

[edit add 2]: You can use your login name from Harvard to shortcircuit some of the process, but you still have to choose the monthly or (right, like this is my life) annual Dartmouth Big Green pkg.

[edit add:] Forget to add: LGR!
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2007 06:50PM by billhoward.

Re: Cornell at Dartmouth pregame & video feed
Date: November 17, 2007 06:55PM

Video window says "MH vs. CU." Took a moment to realize we're not at Mercyhurst again, but playing the Dartmouth Men's Hockey team.

... not that we're getting any video at gametime minus five minutes.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2007 06:59PM by billhoward.

Posted by: pfibiger (---.sip.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 17, 2007 07:00PM

i just paid 7.95, loaded it up, and at 7pm i'm not getting any video. boo. makes me appreciate the company running cornell's video.

Posted by: Rita (---.dhcp.insightbb.com)
Date: November 17, 2007 07:07PM

My video is up and running.

Apparently no commentary, just the sounds of the rink. So things will be out of synch as I listen to Jason and watch.

LGR!

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.dhcp.psdn.ca.charter.com)
Date: November 17, 2007 07:13PM

Sawada scores. 1-0.

Posted by: Rita (---.dhcp.insightbb.com)
Date: November 17, 2007 07:14PM

I'm glad the audio is about 20 seconds ahead of the video.

Devine left a rebound out front that Sawada buried.

LGR!

Posted by: RichH (76.28.11.---)
Date: November 18, 2007 01:46AM

billhoward
Dartmouth uses the same outfit as Harvard to broadcast video. They charge even more, $7.95

Bummer. For several years, Dartmouth had a free video QuickTime feed provided by their computing facility (I think?). Maybe bandwidth costs and increasing demand made their AD look elsewhere...or there was a crafty door-to-door salesman saying "hey, all your peers are signing up through us!"

Date: November 18, 2007 06:59AM

RichH
billhoward
Dartmouth uses the same outfit as Harvard to broadcast video. They charge even more, $7.95

Bummer. For several years, Dartmouth had a free video QuickTime feed provided by their computing facility (I think?). Maybe bandwidth costs and increasing demand made their AD look elsewhere...or there was a crafty door-to-door salesman saying "hey, all your peers are signing up through us!"

Athletic departments want the money. For rich alums, as all Cornell alumni of course are, eight bucks is a cheap date. The one scummy downside is that one-time visitors such as us have to cancel within 30 days or we get charged in perpetuity. And Dartmouth knows, as do the Columbia Record Club execs, that lots of people don't for a couple billing cycles. On the plus side, this network was quick to refund my money (or say they would) when I complained about the video outages and also took care of canceling my month-to-month subscription (or said they would) when I said I couldn't find the Customer Care button that helps cancel you out. That too is a common online trick, making it very hard to cancel easily.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: November 19, 2007 05:55PM

I understand how people feel about auto-renewals that require you to cancel proactively to avoid being charged again. But is it really that difficult to add a notation to your Palm/GCal/iCal/whatever for a week from now that you need to cancel your membership? Or queue an e-mail to yourself to be sent a week from now reminding you? Or just cancel your membership as soon as the game ends, if it was the only game for which you needed the service?

It's only opportunistic and greedy if it works, and for it to work, you have to let it work. You're smart people.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: November 19, 2007 06:55PM

Beeeej
It's only opportunistic and greedy if it works, and for it to work, you have to let it work. You're smart people.
You're making some biiiiig assumptions here! :-D

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login