Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Alumni in the Pros - September 2007

Posted by David Harding 
Alumni in the Pros - September 2007
Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 01, 2007 01:16PM

FWIW,The David McKee Wikipedia entry hasn't been updated for a while. [en.wikipedia.org])
[elf.elynah.com]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2007 01:19PM by David Harding.

Re: Alumni in the Pros - September 2007
Posted by: pfibiger (---.sip.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 07, 2007 11:31AM

Looks like Dan Glover has signed with the Fresno Falcons of the ECHL:

[www.fresnofalcons.com]

So, Bitz was the only drafted player who was signed by his drafting team? McCutcheon, Glover, and Carefoot weren't signed.

Posted by: JDeafv (---.mae.cornell.edu)
Date: September 07, 2007 12:16PM

While not signed, McCutcheon is at Colorado's rookie camp.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2007 12:17PM by JDeafv.

Sasha Pokulok
Posted by: The Rancor (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: September 09, 2007 05:06PM

SGood news about Sasha Pokulok.

Date: September 09, 2007 05:31PM

FWIW: McCutchen has scored the first goals in each of the first 2 games of the rookie camp. It looks like he is making the most of his tryout in Colorado.

Posted by: profudge (---.ct.us.ibm.com)
Date: September 13, 2007 04:03PM

From San Jose Mercury News Doug is challenged!

. . .
On the blue line, Wilson said he wants to "make sure our defense doesn't lose any traction" without Hannan, whose 22:49 average ice time was the most of any Shark last season.

"We will have Craig Rivet for the entire year," the coach added, noting that he also needs to see that "the younger guys who did well last year show improvement."

Although competition ultimately will determine who fills the vacant top-six defensive slot - the first five are Rivet, Kyle McLaren, Christian Ehrhoff, Matt Carle and Marc-Edouard Vlasic - Wilson indicated he was looking a little more closely at one player in particular.

"I'm expecting Dougie Murray to step it up," the coach said. "It's time for him to get it right all the time."

Still, under the "no limitations" philosophy of the two Wilsons, Sharks followers also have come to expect the unexpected. Unheralded forward Nils Ekman made the starting lineup in 2003; last year, Vlasic cracked the roster at 19.

Who could end up being this year's training-camp surprise?
. . .

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.dhcp.psdn.ca.charter.com)
Date: September 14, 2007 01:32AM

Matt Moulson picks up a goal and an assist in the first preseason game of the NHL season. I'm going to be at their next game on Saturday so i guess i'll break out my Cornell jersey to show my support.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: September 14, 2007 07:34AM

Avs assigned Mark McCutcheon to Lake Erie of the AHL.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.itt.com)
Date: September 14, 2007 08:42AM

Al DeFlorio
Lake Erie of the AHL.

What what what? Man that league's hard to keep up with.

Posted by: Rita (---.agry.purdue.edu)
Date: September 14, 2007 09:51AM

DeltaOne81
Al DeFlorio
Lake Erie of the AHL.

Are the home games actually played on Lake Erie? Or are the games rotated among the states and one province that border Lake Erie? What is the team nickname... Lake Effect?

Just questions to ponder in the remaining few days of the interminably long off-season. ;-)

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: September 14, 2007 12:09PM

Insert joke about Tampa Bay.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: sah67 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 14, 2007 09:05PM

Jacob '06
Matt Moulson picks up a goal and an assist in the first preseason game of the NHL season. I'm going to be at their next game on Saturday so i guess i'll break out my Cornell jersey to show my support.

A goal and an assist against the Stanley Cup champs no less, albeit with Bryzgalov instead of Giguere in net, and apparently with both teams playing a lot of prospects. For those curious about the details...it was a PPG off a Chris Pronger penalty.

Date: September 14, 2007 11:40PM

Rita
DeltaOne81
Al DeFlorio
Lake Erie of the AHL.

Are the home games actually played on Lake Erie? Or are the games rotated among the states and one province that border Lake Erie? What is the team nickname... Lake Effect?

Just questions to ponder in the remaining few days of the interminably long off-season. ;-)
The Lake Erie Monsters fill the hole left in Cleveland by the departure of the Barons.
[www.theahl.com]
[en.wikipedia.org]
[www.lakeeriemonsters.com]

Date: September 15, 2007 12:21PM

The Athletics web site [cornellbigred.com] reviews the NHL preseason camps:

ITHACA, N.Y. -- With preseason camps for the National Hockey League opening this week, 10 former Big Red players have been invited to the practice with the top clubs. The 10 players for Cornell are the second-most among ECAC Hockey teams, just one behind Clarkson's 11...
Gleed
O'Byrne
Iggulden
Murray
LeNeveu
McKee
Hynes
Moulson
Pokulok
Bitz

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: September 17, 2007 12:31PM

David Harding
The Athletics web site [cornellbigred.com] reviews the NHL preseason camps:

ITHACA, N.Y. -- With preseason camps for the National Hockey League opening this week, 10 former Big Red players have been invited to the practice with the top clubs. The 10 players for Cornell are the second-most among ECAC Hockey teams, just one behind Clarkson's 11...
Gleed
O'Byrne
Iggulden
Murray
LeNeveu
McKee
Hynes
Moulson
Pokulok
Bitz
Various comments, all gleaned from Hockey's Future:

[Ryan] O'Byrne made a successful transition from the collegiate ranks to the AHL last season. In fact, his play was so impressive that there was much talk that the 6'5 blueliner would break camp with the Habs this season.

While that may be the case, recent acquisitions, including the arrival of Habs retread Patrice Brisebois, somewhat call that assumption into question. But what O'Byrne brings to the table is something the Habs desperately need on the point - size.

With the departure of Sheldon Souray, who despite his size never played overly big, the club is slight on the blue line. O'Byrne blends imposing size with defensive responsibility in an attractive package that should find him in the NHL sooner rather than later.

The product of Cornell University won't win any speed records, nor will he invoke memories of Doug Harvey's offensive talents, but he is expected to be an effective crease-clearer who has shown an ability to make the smart first pass out of the zone.

[Mike] Iggulden has overcome some injuries in college and also being limited to a defensive forward while there. This experience has probably benefitted him in that he now has the two-way awareness needed of third and fourth line NHL hockey players. In order to play in the NHL, Iggulden will have to continue to hone his offensive skills, but these are largely skills he didn't get to use a lot in college. His upside is that of a third or fourth line NHL forward. In order to fit in more to the third or fourth line role he's likely to fill, he may need to become more physical, especially if he cracks the NHL as a wing. At the least, he can make a responsible two-way emergency recall as is.

Building the team from the back end out, the Coyotes currently don’t have a prospect in the running for the netminder position. David LeNeveu, no longer a prospect per HF criteria, is still in the mix, but he’s going to face stiff competition from David Aebischer, Alex Auld and last season's incumbent netminder, Mikael Tellqvist. Josh Tordjman will be at camp, but expect him to take over or split the starting role in San Antonio.

Sasha Pokulok is one of the feel-good stories of camp as he is finally returning from what could have been career-ending post-concussion syndrome. He was barely able to train last season due to incredible headaches but has shown up early to training camp to compete and prove he is healthy, even participating in full contract scrimmages without side effects. At around 6'4, 220 lbs. he has the physical tools to have a successful career as long as he can stay healthy.

I don't see any mention of Gleed any more recently than December 2006. The comments at that point were favorable, though, so I'd guess he'll be with Hamilton (Montreal's AHL affiliate) this coming season.

Latest about McKee still involves him being with Anaheim, which is no longer the case, and though reports are that he's in training camp with Phoenix, he's not mentioned in the bit about LeNeveu.

Murray is too old to be considered a "prospect" at this point but I think, given what we saw last year, he'll be a 6th/7th defenseman for the Sharks this coming season.

Hynes is buried way down on Anaheim's prospect depth chart, as is Bitz on Boston's. Ditto Moulson in LA, though if he keeps scoring in preseason games he could change that.

Date: September 17, 2007 12:43PM

Josh '99
Ditto Moulson in LA, though if he keeps scoring in preseason games he could change that.

Moulson survived the second round of cuts in LAs camp, but I have no expectations of him heading out to London with them. It is good to see that he has made an impression on the coaching staff though.

Posted by: cbuckser (76.197.6.---)
Date: September 17, 2007 01:52PM

If the conversation I had with Worcester Sharks' assistant coach David Cunniff on Saturday is any indication, Sharks management is pleased with Mike Iggulden's offensive contributions last season. Iggulden scored 30 goals and added 27 assists in 73 games for Worcester.

Posted by: Doug '08 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 17, 2007 04:02PM

He won't be officially listed as being in Montreal for a while, but McKee will be a Canadian this year.

Date: September 18, 2007 05:45PM

Lenny played about half of Phoenix's preseason game last night. Judging from the numbers, it wasn't a great performance. 2 goals allowed on 10 shots, including an SHG in overtime.

Date: September 18, 2007 06:42PM

Moulson got sent back down to Manchester today. His problem is that he probably has to make the top 2 lines as a scorer because he doesn't have the physical play to play the 3rd or 4th line.

Posted by: puckstopper2 (67.32.36.---)
Date: September 18, 2007 07:28PM

Josh '99
Lenny played about half of Phoenix's preseason game last night. Judging from the numbers, it wasn't a great performance. 2 goals allowed on 10 shots, including an SHG in overtime.

Doesn't look like he had a lot of help on the game winner if you ask me.
[sports.espn.go.com]

Date: September 18, 2007 09:14PM

O'byrne is getting a decent amount of playing time for the Canadiens today and some people on HFboards are saying good things about him. I think he will probably end up getting stuck as the 7/8 defenseman though.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: September 18, 2007 09:29PM

That's what SHGs generally look like, alas.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 18, 2007 09:43PM

Jacob '06
O'byrne is getting a decent amount of playing time for the Canadiens today and some people on HFboards are saying good things about him. I think he will probably end up getting stuck as the 7/8 defenseman though.
Seems like he's getting a HUGE amount of ice time (Yahoo says 27:52 already with the game not yet over), but he's -2 and has taken a penalty.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.caltech.edu)
Date: September 18, 2007 10:09PM

Josh '99
Jacob '06
Seems like he's getting a HUGE amount of ice time (Yahoo says 27:52 already with the game not yet over), but he's -2 and has taken a penalty.

The -2 was wrong from what I've heard. I saw the penalty so I know that was legit. The NHL stats have been pretty bad for the preseason.

Posted by: Luke 05 (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: September 19, 2007 07:30AM

[sports.espn.go.com]

San Jose Sharks: Patrick Marleau will make his two wingers useful in fantasy. We just don't know who they are yet. Ryane Clowe overachieved last season, while Steve Bernier played himself out of the top six. What about some young guys like Devin Setoguchi or Mike Iggulden? This is a battle to watch.

A Cornell player mentioned in a fantasy hockey preview?

Date: September 19, 2007 08:17AM

Jacob '06
Moulson got sent back down to Manchester today. His problem is that he probably has to make the top 2 lines as a scorer because he doesn't have the physical play to play the 3rd or 4th line.

from insidesocal.com/kings

On cuts earlier today: ``Today was a tough day because some of our best young prospects had to be sent down. Some guys who will probably end up making the team, in the grand scheme of things, won't be as good as some of the players we sent down today. Marc-Andre Cliche I think will be a very good player in this league, as with Trevor Lewis and Edward Purcell. I think Joe Piskula is a player that's going to play for a long time as a solid, two-way defenseman. Matt Moulson was probably one of our better players in camp but at left wing now with O'Sullivan, Calder and Cammalleri, that's a pretty tough left side to crack. Then Thornton and Ivanans add some toughness and experience. We just don't have a position available for Matt Moulson right now, although if this had been any other time, he certainly deserved a longer look. He did everything we asked and he improved. As we told him, just make sure to take another step.''

LA's coaching staff begs to differ, Jake...

Posted by: cbuckser (134.186.175.---)
Date: September 19, 2007 01:38PM

The Sharks have only 12 forwards in camp with more than three games of NHL experience. But, I'd be surprised if Mike Iggulden makes the team out of training camp, unless the Sharks have injury problems.

Defenseman Brad Norton has been playing left wing; perhaps he'll make the team as an 8th (or 9th) defenseman who can fill in at forward. If a forward without NHL experience makes the team, it will likely be Devin Setoguchi. That would only make sense if he wins a spot on the top four lines; it would be unwise to have a 20-year-old top prospect make the team and not dress. If a rookie makes the team as a reserve forward, I think it would be big 28-year-old right wing Graham Mink.

By the way, Douglas Murray scored a goal in last night's exhibition game.

Date: September 19, 2007 10:25PM

Douglas and Iggy are both playing for the sharks tonight according to the rosters on nhl.com but I can't find any live broadcast that one can actually get on to.

Posted by: nr53 (---.cisco.com)
Date: September 20, 2007 04:51PM

Iggulden sent down to Worcester as of today.

Link

Date: September 20, 2007 08:56PM

nr53
Iggulden sent down to Worcester as of today.

Link
Tellqvist in goal for Phoenix tonight, playing a good game it looks like.

Posted by: Bahnstorm (---.library.cornell.edu)
Date: September 21, 2007 02:43PM

Bitz to Providence after Bruins camp, 1 assist in the first exhib. game.
Link.

Date: September 21, 2007 11:40PM

O'Byrne was in the lineup for the Canadiens again tonight. He played about 20 minutes, took one penalty (roughing, matched with somebody on the Islanders), and was named the game's second star.

Murray isn't in the Sharks' lineup tonight.

Date: September 22, 2007 12:19AM

Leneveu an McKee sent to San Antonio

phoenixcoyotes.com

Date: September 25, 2007 08:29AM

Josh '99
I don't see any mention of Gleed any more recently than December 2006. The comments at that point were favorable, though, so I'd guess he'll be with Hamilton (Montreal's AHL affiliate) this coming season.
Montreal assigned Gleed to Hamilton yesterday--along with Danis and a bunch of others. O'Byrne not on the "assigned" list.

Date: September 25, 2007 01:56PM

Al DeFlorio
Josh '99
Montreal assigned Gleed to Hamilton yesterday--along with Danis and a bunch of others. O'Byrne not on the "assigned" list.
From a post earlier today on Hockey's Future:

It would appear that four players are vying for the two or three spaces that are available on the back end of the blueline. [Roman] Hamrlik, Mike Komisarek (1st round, 2001), Andrei Markov (6th round, 1998), and Francis Bouillon have the first four spots locked up, while the aforementioned [Mark] Streit will probably serve as the eighth defenseman. That said, it would appear that [Mathieu] Dandenault, [Patrice] Brisebois, Ryan O’Byrne (3rd round, 2003) and Josh Gorges are left to battle it out for the last blue line spots.

Before the acquisition of Brisebois, the general consensus amongst Montreal watchers was that the 6’5 O’Byrne would make the jump to the NHL to provide the Habs back end with a little extra beef. The product of Cornell University acquitted himself nicely during his first professional season. He started off slow, but by the end of the year was a rock on the Bulldogs’ blue line. Not known for his offense, O’Byrne did show an aptitude for making the smart first pass, and actually ended the season with a dozen assists to his name. Most importantly, he has the size that the club lost with Souray’s departure – but, unlike Souray, he’s shown more willingness to actually use it.

Brisebois, incidentally, showed up to camp a couple weeks ago with a groin injury and failed a physical, resulting in the roster spot that was originally his being up for grabs.

Posted by: redice (---.154.218.112.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: September 26, 2007 08:16PM

We watched Sasha Pokulok play for the Hershey Bears in an exhibition game against the Binghamton Senators today.

Sasha played well. He assisted on, at least, 3 of 4 Hershey goals. (I missed the second goal). He was not on the ice or in the penalty box for either of Binghamton's two goals. So, his plus/minus is good. Sasha played on the Bears first PP unit and on one of their penalty kill units (not sure which one). He got a ton of ice time and is clearly a key component on that team.

We talked to him after the game. He said that he wondered if anyone from the Cornell crowd would be there. He also said that he was listening for the "RED" cheer during the national anthem. (BTW, it didn't happen).

Re: Alumni in the Pros- O'Byrne
Posted by: cth95 (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: September 27, 2007 09:27PM

P.J. Stock's show on the Team 990 AM out of Montreal discussed O'Byrne and one other player (I'd remember it if I heard it) vying for possibly the last defensive spot on the Canadiens. They played a good interview with O'Byrne in which he discussed hoping he makes the team but realizing he will have to earn any minutes he gets and that he will not be able to take it for granted. He came across as very professional and well-spoken.

There are some benefits to spending two days-per-week working in northern Vermont along the Canadian border.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2007 09:29PM by cth95.

Date: September 27, 2007 09:29PM

cth95
P.J. Stock's show on the Team 990 AM out of Montreal discussed O'Byrne and one other player (I'd remember it if I heard it) vying for possibly the last defensive spot on the Canadiens. They played a good interview with O'Byrne in which he discussed hoping he makes the team but realizing he will have to earn any minutes he gets and that he will not be able to take it for granted. He came across as very professional and well-spoken.

There are some benefits to spending two days-per-week working along the Canadian border.

Supposedly TSN reported that he'll be playing opening night, but people on the canadiens board at HF said they doubt anything is set in stone right now.

Date: September 28, 2007 07:23PM

O'Byrne picked up roughing and delay-of-game penalties in last night's exhibition game against the Bruins. 3-2, Montreal.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login