Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

2007-2008 Schedule released

Posted by johnny923 
2007-2008 Schedule released
Posted by: johnny923 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 30, 2007 03:29PM

Re: 2007-2008 Schedule released
Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: July 30, 2007 03:38PM

I was about to bitch at the OP for just posting a link and not the actual schedule. But then I saw that CSTV only posted the schedule in PDF format. How annoying.

Re: 2007-2008 Schedule released [text version not PDF]
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: July 30, 2007 05:01PM

Date           Opponent Location Time 
October 
Saturday 13    Red & White Game Ithaca, N.Y. 7 p.m. 
Friday 19      Trois-RivieresIthaca, N.Y. 7 p.m. 
Sunday 21      University of Ottawa Ithaca, N.Y. 7 p.m. 
Saturday 20    RIT~ Rochester, N.Y. 7 p.m. 

November 
Friday 2       Princeton* Ithaca, N.Y. 7 p.m. 
Saturday 3     Quinnipiac* Ithaca, N.Y. 7 p.m. 
Friday 9       Yale* New Haven, Conn. 7 p.m. 
Saturday 10    Brown* Providence, R.I. 7 p.m. 
Friday 16      Harvard* Cambridge, Mass. 7 p.m. 
Saturday 17    Dartmouth* Hanover, N.H. 7 p.m. 
Saturday 24    Boston University# New York, N.Y. 8 p.m. 
Friday 30      MassachusettsIthaca, N.Y. 7:30 p.m. 

December 
Friday 28      UMass-Lowell^ Estero, Fla. 4 p.m. 
Saturday 29    Clarkson/Maine^ Estero, Fla. 4/7:30 p.m. 

January 
Friday 4       Niagara Ithaca, N.Y. 7 p.m. 
Saturday 5     Niagara Ithaca, N.Y. 7 p.m. 
Friday 11      Rensselaer* Troy, N.Y. 7 p.m. 
Saturday 12    Union* Schenectady, N.Y. 7 p.m. 
Friday 18      St. Lawrence* Ithaca, N.Y. 7 p.m. 
Saturday 19    Clarkson* Ithaca, N.Y. 7 p.m. 
Friday 25      Brown* Ithaca, N.Y. 7 p.m. 
Saturday 26    Yale* Ithaca, N.Y. 7 p.m. 

February 
Friday 1       Colgate* Ithaca, N.Y. 7 p.m. 
Saturday 2     Colgate* Hamilton, N.Y. 7 p.m. 
Friday 8       Clarkson* Potsdam, N.Y. 7 p.m. 
Saturday 9     St. Lawrence* Canton, N.Y. 7 p.m. 
Friday 15      Union* Ithaca, N.Y. 7 p.m. 
Saturday 16    Rensselaer* Ithaca, N.Y. 7 p.m. 
Friday 22      Quinnipiac* Hamden, Conn. 7 p.m. 
Saturday 23    Princeton* Princeton, N.J. 7 p.m. 
Friday 29      Dartmouth* Ithaca, N.Y. 7 p.m. 

March 
Saturday 1     Harvard* Ithaca, N.Y. 7 p.m. 
Fri.-Sun. 7-9  ECAC Hockey First Round campus sites (higher 
seeds)  
Fri.-Sun. 14-16 ECAC Hockey Quarterfinals campus sites (higher 
seeds) 
Fri.-Sat. 21-22 ECAC Championships Albany, N.Y. 

^ - at Blue Cross Arena (Rochester, N.Y.) 
# - at Madison Square Garden (New York, N.Y.) 
^ - Florida College Classic at Germain Arena (Estero, Fla.) 
* - ECAC Hockey game 

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: July 30, 2007 05:23PM

Thank you Bill. I know I give you enough shit for some of your posts so I thought I'd give credit where credit is due as well. :-)

RIT and two with Niagara is a bit disappointing.

Posted by: ithacat (128.253.193.---)
Date: July 30, 2007 05:40PM

Josh '99

I like the idea of playing RIT in Blue Cross Arena. RIT fans are already talking about outdrawing Cornell fans at that game. The Tigers' confidence should be sky high after last season. Also, Western just won their 3rd straight Empire Games. The best youth hockey in NY is played in the Rochester area (Buffalo would probably argue with that). It wouldn't be a bad idea for the 2 schools to donate a few hundred tickets to the youth program up there -- as long as that's legal.

Niagara should have another high-scoring team and will provide a nice test.

This is a better schedule than last year's.

PS, I'm assuming RIT is on the 27th.

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: July 30, 2007 05:57PM

Josh '99
Thank you Bill. I know I give you enough shit for some of your posts so I thought I'd give credit where credit is due as well. :-)

I'd also like one matchup against a western team, for all the statistical importance it can have.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Re: 2007-2008 Schedule released - better win ECACs outright
Date: July 30, 2007 10:23PM

Disappointing is putting it mildly. At first glance, a team with this schedule better count on winning the conference playoffs in order to make the NCAAs:
- No WCHA or CCHA team this year; I believe Niagara is the most westerly team we play. Until, say, if we make the NCAAs and get sent west to Minnesota or Wisconisn in April.
- BU for sure, UMass and UMass-Lowell possibly could be quality opponents. Plus Maine as a possible second round opponent in Florida. Otherwise ... Niagara and RIT don't do much for strength of schedule.
- We've got a 50-50 chance of meeting Clarkson for a third time this year in the Florida tournament rather than Ohio State or Notre Dame (who also boost the attendance). Not that Clarkson isn't a fine rival, but how many times in a year do you want to see green and yellow uniforms lined up against you, especially with our recent history of seeing them in the ECAC playoffs, too? Draw Clarkson in the early rounds of the ECACs and we could play them five times.

... but what could be sweeter than ending the regular season playing Harard in Ithaca? Would that there's a decent lacrosse game the same day, in Ithaca.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: July 31, 2007 12:11AM

Hard to be too disappointed with the opponents now, considering that we've pretty much known the lineup for months now. I agree that I'd like to do better than Niagrax2 and RIT. But we've beaten the whole "must have home games" thing to death in other threads.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: July 31, 2007 10:41AM

Damn... I'm going to miss the Hahvahd game at Hahvahd for the first time in many, many years.

At least it's for a good reason, though... [www.active.com]

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: July 31, 2007 11:31AM

I wish they'd split up the road trips to Yale/Brown and Harvard/Dartmouth so they don't fall on consecutive weekends. It would make more sense to have one during fall semester and the other during spring semester.

Date: July 31, 2007 11:48AM

Al DeFlorio
I wish they'd split up the road trips to Yale/Brown and Harvard/Dartmouth so they don't fall on consecutive weekends. It would make more sense to have one during fall semester and the other during spring semester.
If onyl they put that much thought into it. Somehow I hardly think the folks in the league office put any such consideration into making the league schedule. I'm surprised we don't play the same pair on successive weekends.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: July 31, 2007 12:56PM

KeithK
Al DeFlorio
If onyl they put that much thought into it. Somehow I hardly think the folks in the league office put any such consideration into making the league schedule. I'm surprised we don't play the same pair on successive weekends.

Even if the league office did consider such things, is it even possible to avoid it for all six sets of travel partners? I don't have the mathematical wherewithal to answer this question, but someone here must (and it's still not October).

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: July 31, 2007 12:58PM

I'm assuming the "Trois-Rivieres" is the UQTR Patriotes college team (a perennial powerhouse), not the juniors team.

I thought there was a rule about having just one non-NCAA exhibition unless you applied for a waiver (for, say, a Europe tour). That changed? (We would play two canuck colleges pretty regularly in the 80's, IIRC, but then there was talk of A Rule.)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2007 12:59PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 31, 2007 01:46PM

KeithK

You're not saying that as if it's never happened, are you?

[www.uscho.com]

Date: July 31, 2007 02:33PM

Give My Regards
KeithK

You're not saying that as if it's never happened, are you?
Heh. I almost typed "more often" but I couldn't remember exactly when.

Date: July 31, 2007 02:34PM

Beeeej
Even if the league office did consider such things, is it even possible to avoid it for all six sets of travel partners? I don't have the mathematical wherewithal to answer this question, but someone here must (and it's still not October).
Come on Beeeej, stop being reasonable. The point of these threads (well, subthreads) is to belittle the league office or the AD or whoever is in charge. We don't need any rational comments here!

Posted by: Jordan 04 (155.72.24.---)
Date: July 31, 2007 03:29PM

Al DeFlorio

I am missing what is so bad about this...

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: July 31, 2007 07:19PM

Jordan 04
It bites for people coming from Ithaca. It's nice to have the two "east coast" swings separated.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 31, 2007 08:17PM

Trotsky
Jordan 04
It bites for people coming from Ithaca. It's nice to have the two "east coast" swings separated.

Ah, ok.

Date: July 31, 2007 08:36PM

Jordan 04
Al DeFlorio

It also bites for people living in that area. It would be nice to have the team playing locally spread more over the course of the year, not four times in a nine-day period. It really bites if those nine days happen to fall when you're away on a two-week vacation planned in advance of the publishing of the schedule.

Re: 2007-2008 Schedule released - back to back road trips same region
Date: July 31, 2007 08:38PM

Al DeFlorio

Good point, Al. Away sports events are a reason for alumni and parents from the region to gather. It's tougher when they're adjacent weekends, or just a couple weeks apart. Another example: If you're an alum from eastern Pennsylvania or New Jersey, you do without local Cornell football games for a year, then the next year you've got both Penn and Princeton, then you do without. The year when Princeton was building its new stadium and had to play all away games (made up for the following year) would have been a good time to get the at-Penn and at-Princeton games in alternatiing years. Didn't happen.

Date: August 01, 2007 12:04PM

billhoward
If you're an alum from eastern Pennsylvania or New Jersey, you do without local Cornell football games for a year, then the next year you've got both Penn and Princeton, then you do without.
We have it here with Brown and Harvard in the same year. The other year we have Yale and Dartmouth, but those are longer trips from the Cape.

For awhile, the team always closed the season at Penn or Princeton, and opened at home against the other--eliminating the problem you're describing.

See you at Yale, Bill? Pepe's afterwards?

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: August 01, 2007 12:42PM

Al DeFlorio
For awhile, the team always closed the season at Penn or Princeton, and opened at home against the other--eliminating the problem you're describing.

I remember it being the other way around. My freshman year, the first Ivy game was at Penn, and the year before I got there, we'd closed the season with Penn at Schoelkopf (where the Quakers tore down the goalposts cuss). Then Junior year we closed the season at Franklin Field on Thanksgiving, and I think since then the last game of the season has always been against Penn.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2007 03:25PM by jtwcornell91.

Date: August 01, 2007 03:10PM

jtwcornell91
Al DeFlorio

I remember it being the other way around. My freshman year, the first Ivy game was at Penn, and the year before I got there, we'd closed the season with Penn at Schoelkopf (where the Quakers tore down the goalposts cuss). Then Junior year we closed the season at Franklin Field on Thanksgiving, and I think since then the last game of the season has always been against Penn.
Yes, but for awhile the schedule was done such that the last game of the year for Cornell and Dartmouth would be at either Penn or Princeton, for weather reasons. So on alternate years we'd close at Penn or Princeton and Dartmouth would close at the other. The problem with this was that it eliminated the traditional final game matchups (i.e., Cornell-Penn and Dartmouth-Princeton) for the four schools, so they reverted to the "old" way.

Of course, with global warming, late November weather in Hanover and Ithaca is no longer an issue...

[Edit: Checking the archives, it looks like 1964 was the first year we closed the season at Princeton while playing Penn in Ithaca to open the Ivy season--after many years of always closing AT Penn. From 1964 through 1975 we alternated closing games at Penn and Princeton. In 1975 and 1976 we closed at Penn twice in a row, then at Princeton in 1977, and then--strangely--alternated between closing with Princeton on the road and Penn at home (which made no sense to me, given the traditional closing game AT Penn for decades during the glory years of Ivy football). This went on through 1988 when the Ivy League went to the current Penn/at Penn rotation for our closing game.]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2007 03:37PM by Al DeFlorio.

Date: August 01, 2007 04:00PM

Al DeFlorio
billhoward
If you're an alum from eastern Pennsylvania or New Jersey, you do without local Cornell football games for a year, then the next year you've got both Penn and Princeton, then you do without.
We have it here with Brown and Harvard in the same year. The other year we have Yale and Dartmouth, but those are longer trips from the Cape.

See you at Yale, Bill? Pepe's afterwards?

Yale football (9/22), hockey? Whatever, whichever, both. Yes, we're on for Pepe's. [An outstandingly great pizza place in the Italian section of New Haven that Al introduced us to. Try the white pie with clams and bacon. Link: [www.pepespizzeria.com] (157 Wooster Street, New Haven, CT 203-865-5762)

This year the at-Princeton game is 10/27 and the at-Penn closer is three weeks later, 11/17. It was frigid there two years ago to end the season, but it's always nice when you blow out Penn in football.

Date: August 01, 2007 04:20PM

billhoward
Yale football (9/22), hockey? Whatever, whichever, both. Yes, we're on for Pepe's. [An outstandingly great pizza place in the Italian section of New Haven that Al introduced us to. Try the white pie with clams and bacon. Link: [www.pepespizzeria.com] (157 Wooster Street, New Haven, CT 203-865-5762)
September 22 for sure, and hockey November 9, as well. Need to work on tickets for the latter. The former will attract 60,000 empty seats.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 01, 2007 05:43PM

Al DeFlorio
billhoward
September 22 for sure, and hockey November 9, as well. Need to work on tickets for the latter. The former will attract 60,000 empty seats.
I'm on for Nov 9. I'm at a conference in Boston that week and the trip to Providence and New Haven is certainly shorter from Boston than Syracuse.

Date: August 01, 2007 08:07PM

Jim Hyla
Al DeFlorio
billhoward
I'm on for Nov 9. I'm at a conference in Boston that week and the trip to Providence and New Haven is certainly shorter from Boston than Syracuse.
That's great!

Rink Rat's $0.02
Posted by: sah67 (---.dynamic.amnh.org)
Date: August 03, 2007 12:30PM

Olshansky chimes in on the schedule at the bottom of this post

Also, in another entry, he mentions that the Knicks will be hosting the Bulls at MSG at 1PM on the day of the BU game, and goes on to suggest the possibility of less-than-optimal ice come game time...I hadn't thought about this.

Re: Rink Rat's $0.02
Date: August 03, 2007 01:10PM

sah67
Olshansky chimes in on the schedule at the bottom of this post

Also, in another entry, he mentions that the Knicks will be hosting the Bulls at MSG at 1PM on the day of the BU game, and goes on to suggest the possibility of less-than-optimal ice come game time...I hadn't thought about this.

I've heard a description of even worse: playing the day after the circus leaves town and the ice wasn't taken up. Some of the urine seeps through the plywood underlayment, infuses the ice, and it takes more than one or two Zamboni passes until the worst smell is once again the players' pads and pants.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: August 03, 2007 05:59PM

sah67
Ick, he's right. That's too bad.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: August 03, 2007 06:23PM

billhoward
I've heard a description of even worse: playing the day after the circus leaves town and the ice wasn't taken up. Some of the urine seeps through the plywood underlayment, infuses the ice, and it takes more than one or two Zamboni passes until the worst smell is once again the players' pads and pants.

That actually happens all year round, regardless of whether the circus has been in town. The urine is from the Ranger fans.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.caltech.edu)
Date: August 03, 2007 06:49PM

Trotsky
billhoward

That actually happens all year round, regardless of whether the circus has been in town. The urine is from the Ranger fans.

I'm sure the Islanders ice is pristine. Too bad no one actually goes to games to appreciate it.

Date: September 01, 2007 06:30PM

billhoward
Bill, we have weekend guests who were at the Pilot Pen tennis tournament held next to the Yale Bowl, and they report the exterior of the Bowl has been completely restored. Let's hope they've replaced at least those seats on the visitor's side near the 50-yard line to eliminate the recent bi-annual epidemic of butt splinters.

Three weeks and counting.

Posted by: Cornell95 (---.natick.army.mil)
Date: September 04, 2007 10:25AM

For those of you who have circled the game at Lynah East on 11/16...
Currently the Harvard website shows single game tickets going on sale October 3rd at 10am (but the web sales page shows 10/03 at 12:00AM, keep an eye on it if you want to be sure to call the moment they are available (seems like the date on the website changed a few years ago too, so you might want to double check in a few weeks)

[admin.xosn.com]

Posted by: jaybert (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 04, 2007 07:22PM

Cornell95
For those of you who have circled the game at Lynah East on 11/16...
Currently the Harvard website shows single game tickets going on sale October 3rd at 10am (but the web sales page shows 10/03 at 12:00AM, keep an eye on it if you want to be sure to call the moment they are available (seems like the date on the website changed a few years ago too, so you might want to double check in a few weeks)

[admin.xosn.com]

i wonder if they are even going to take web orders? They decided not to last year, which was a PITA since it said online they were going to sell online...

Thanks for the headsup. I remember 2 years ago they started selling online @ midnight...fortunately I checked elynah before going to bed that night :)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login