Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Maine v. Harvard

Posted by chag 
Maine v. Harvard
Posted by: chag (---)
Date: December 10, 2002 04:46PM

Chris Moberg and I will be at the Harvard v. Maine game this Sunday since we only live 20 miles from Portland. Anything your inquiring minds want to know ?

Re: Maine v. Harvard
Posted by: Mike Hedrick 01 (---)
Date: December 10, 2002 11:14PM

Well, as a Ranger fan, I'm always interested in a Dominic Moore report.

I guess you're the official scouts for Estero, too! ;-)

Posted by: Will (128.253.12.---)
Date: December 11, 2002 07:07PM

I want to know why they're playing in Portland as opposed to the usual home location for Maine (whose name slips my mind right now and I'm too lazy to go look it up myself).

Posted by: jeh25 (---)
Date: December 11, 2002 07:10PM

a) Orono

b) Cornell played Maine at Portland over break 2? years ago as well. Wasn't that the game where McMeekin or McNiven? had the GWG that neither the ref or goal judge saw?

Posted by: Greg Berge (---)
Date: December 11, 2002 09:06PM

Wrong f*%@in' Portland... :-(

Posted by: CowbellGuy (---)
Date: December 12, 2002 09:24AM

a.1) Their rink is named Alfond

b) Yep. McNiven.

Date: December 12, 2002 09:30AM

UMaine plays one game at the Portland Civic Center every year (where our local AHL team, the Portland Pirates play)... almost as an exhibition for their Southern Maine fans. Orono is a hike from here (I can get to Boston quicker), and Alfond Arena is almost as hard as Lynah to get tickets to. I think they figured if they play Ivy teams they are assured an 'easy' win. Cornell really surprised them in our game about 3 years ago when we tied, and yes....I do remember something about a controversial goal, but I think we had about 25 RED fans in a sea of Blue and White at that game, and home town refs to be sure.

I am surrounded by UMaine alumni where I work, so I can't begin to tell you how much I hope we win in Florida. help

Posted by: Alfonse D'Amato (---)
Date: December 12, 2002 09:37AM

Their rink is named Alfond

Would'nt it be funny if their rink was named "Alfonse"? HAH HAH AHAHAH HAHA HA. Aaaah, don't mind me, I've been drunk since "the Schumer incident."

Posted by: Will (---)
Date: December 12, 2002 09:45AM

Ah, thank you Beth! I'll be sure to tell my girlfriend that, since she inquired. She's a current Cornell student from the great state of Maine who is also consequently a UMaine fan. Naturally, after a year or two here in sunny Ithaca, she has also become a Big Red fan, but she seems to have trouble choosing between the two. Actually, in reality, I think she leans towards UMaine...grr...you don't know how many "Howard vs. LeNeveu" conversations I've had with her. Luckily (or perhaps unluckily), we won't know for sure, at least not after Estero, since neither of them will be there.

Date: December 12, 2002 10:00AM

Ah, I have NO TROUBLE choosing MY favorite hockey team. One look into my classroom with the Cornell poster and banner and my RED sweatshirt at all our high school games (where the colors are blue and gold) or my son's hs hockey games (where their colors are Green and White) and the Cornell logo on my Biology class web site........ I was a Cornell fan since having season tickets 1976-80. As an Aggie, Maine would have been my safety school, I suppose...except I was accepted to Cornell early decision so never had to consider it, thankfully.

Posted by: cquinn (---)
Date: December 12, 2002 11:25AM

Hey, I grew up in Maine, too, but there is no question where my allegiance lies. Tell her to take a close look at her Cornell bursar bills whenever she gets the urge to sing the Stein Song.

Posted by: nshapiro (146.145.226.---)
Date: December 12, 2002 02:49PM

Now I could understand "rooting" for Harvard(sucks) against BC, because we don't play BC, but against Maine, there is one good reason to root for Maine.

1 - We play Maine next and I don't want their ranking diminished. I know that ranking doesn't mean anything, but I would like to beat them at their peak.

and

2 - I don't want Harvard(sucks) to win the Belt.

Sorry, two reasons to root for Main.

1 - We play Maine next and I don't want their ranking diminished.

and

3 - Harvard sucks!

Sorry, three reasons to root for Main.

1 - We play Maine next and I don't want their ranking diminished.

3 - Harvard sucks!

and

4 - Nobody expects Cornell to root for Harvard(sucks).

Hey Age, how about a script that inserts (sucks) after Harvard?
I know that this could lead to some Harvard(sucks)(sucks) events if the person actually types "Harvard(sucks)", but then i could type "Harvard(swallows)"

Posted by: Josh '99 (207.10.33.---)
Date: December 12, 2002 03:40PM

Our weapon is surprise! That's all, JUST surprise. nut

Posted by: kaelistus (---)
Date: December 12, 2002 03:56PM

I LOVE the idea of a Harvard (sucks) script... and Harvard (sucks) (sucks) is easily avoided by checking if there is a (sucks) already in there...

Felix

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---)
Date: December 12, 2002 04:02PM

There is a slight RPI advantage in Harvard beating Maine, since we play the Crimson at least twice and Maine only once. Also, there's the whole ECAC dignity thing. I say root for a tie; that way Maine keeps the belt, but the ECAC makes a statement.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---)
Date: December 12, 2002 04:27PM

Yeah, JTW beat me to it. Only one thing I'll add. If Hahvahd(sucks) were to beat (or tie) Maine, then that's an extra common opponents loss for them. So it really does help us. Besides, if Hahvahd(sucks) takes the belt, there's a good chance it'll wind up in the ECAC for a while, assuming Hahvahd(sucks) (you're right, we do need a script :-) ) can get through their own holiday tourney (No. Mich may be a challenge), or at least only lose to Colgate in it, and ssuming they don't loose it in the Beanpot.

Of course, should we not take the belt from Maine twitch ... ya know, like should we tie or win in a shootout or something :-P ... then who knows when we'll have another shot.

So I'll be routing for a tie, secondly a Havahd(sucks) win.

-Fred

Posted by: Ben Doyle 03 (---)
Date: December 12, 2002 04:31PM

and just in case you missed it. . .Harvard(sUcKs):-D

Posted by: zg88 (---)
Date: December 13, 2002 10:59AM

Any script that adds "(sucks)" to Hahvahd should ALSO correct any misspellings of Hahvahd (such as "Harvard", which I'm seeing FAR too often on this forum...). :-D

Posted by: nshapiro (146.145.226.---)
Date: December 13, 2002 01:05PM

Sorry Zg, but my dictionary lists 3 acceptable variations on the spelling:

Hahvahd, Ha+va+rd, and Harvard(sucks).

I am sure that various combinations - Ha+va+rd(sucks), Hahvahd(sucks), Ha+hva+hd, and the preferred trifecta Ha+hva+hd(sucks) are also acceptable.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---)
Date: December 13, 2002 06:07PM

Don't forget Ha+rva+r , since you can't get a D at that place.

Date: December 15, 2002 02:12PM

1-0 Maine early in the first... that was quick

Posted by: Section A (---)
Date: December 15, 2002 02:31PM

2-0 Maine now

Date: December 15, 2002 02:33PM

2-0 Maine, goal Kariya (they just have a factory for them over there, don't they?)

Hahvahd w/ a good PP, but no score - 6min left in the first

looking more like the belt's gonna be in Estero

Posted by: atb9 (---)
Date: December 15, 2002 02:35PM

5 on 3 for Maine, Shields scores...nasty after they hit the post...3-0 Maine with 1:28 left on 5 on 4

Yikes. Their powerplay sounds awesome. 5 forwards on the ice? Let's hope some of their guys become academically ineligible before Estero. ;-)

Date: December 15, 2002 02:44PM

End of the first period, 3-0 Maine. It could easily be 5-0 if G-M didn't make some sick sounding saves on the 5 on 4, and on Kariya short hand. Harvard picked up another penalty to end the period as Maine goes on their 5th powerplay. Yikes! "One of the best periods Maine has played this year."

Posted by: Mike Hedrick 01 (---)
Date: December 15, 2002 03:09PM

Well, we do have the nice Red uniforms. :-)

Date: December 15, 2002 03:24PM

4-1 maine (the 1 came first)

Date: December 15, 2002 03:37PM

End of second, still 4-1. Maine gave up a stupid roughing penalty right after they scored to make it 4-1 but killed it off by controlling the puck for a good portion of the penalty. It seemed like momentum was shifting to Harvard but Maine stood the pressure well. SOG are fairly even and high, something like 31-29 through 2. Harvard starts the third on the power play.

Posted by: Big Ben 03 (---)
Date: December 15, 2002 03:51PM

If the SOG are that high, then what does that say about maine's defense? Clearly hahvahd(sucks) isn't having trouble getting into maine's zone, they just can't solve the goalie. That strikes me as somewhat of a weakness for maine. IMHO, if they're allowing hahvahd(sucks) to spend half their time in their zone, I think that bodes well for Cornell in that we tend to capitalize better when given the shots on goal.

(I am *SO* not woofing here! Just harmless analysis!)

Date: December 15, 2002 03:55PM

Dom Moore makes it 4-2, 14:37 left in the third. A comeback?

Date: December 15, 2002 03:57PM

Harvard just missed a wrap around that went right across the goal line...a fight breaks out with 13:30 left in the third. Matching penalties--Dom Moore takes a seat in the box. Good job by Maine, I suppose, as the game is getting even more exciting.

Date: December 15, 2002 04:19PM

Maine wins 4-2 after Harvard hits the post a bunch of times in the final few minutes. Another fight breaks out, this time between Lawson and Welch with 8 seconds left in the game. Only roughing penalties...

Howard finished with 30+ saves and leaves for Nationals. A lot of saves but he was beaten on many occasions only to be bailed out by the iron.

Well, Maine is now unbeaten in 14 straight. Should be a good one between Maine and Cornell!

Date: December 15, 2002 04:30PM

So Maine beat Hahvahd 4-2, and we beat Hahvahd 5-2... so that means we'll beat Maine by 1, right?:-D

Date: December 15, 2002 05:53PM

Chris and I just got home from the game. It was actually closer than the 4-2 score would indicate. Maine scored that quick goal within the first minute that shook up the Hahvahd boys a little I think. The refs were definitely home town boys, though, as the first couple power plays Maine had were on pretty lame calls. I think if it had not been so lopsided in that regard Hahvahd could have stayed a little more in the game.

They (H) came out in the 2nd period really playing hard and floor checking and getting some more opportunities, and as you all have mentioned.....the SOG were pretty even from then through the end of the game. It was not that Howard was impenetrable, however. Hahvahd shot right at him most of the time. Dov made a few good saves when he wasn't on his ass. It got pretty hairy when Maine was already playing 5 on 3 and then one Hahvahd player loses his stick, then Dov G-M loses HIS....what are the chances Maine wouldn't score then ?

Maine had a scare when they played IONA the other night and didn't exactly beat them soundly. The Maine coach said after that game that they would "not be able to play that way against Harvard". The sold-out (8,700) crowd was of course primarily for UMaine and the poor excuse Hahvahd fans could barely cheer even when they scored.

Listening to the Maine Pep band and watching Bananas, the Black Bear mascot do his strip tease between periods was painful, but I endured it to be able to bring you this report. :) I almost had to leave when they played the Chicken Dance , though. Following on the heels of the Beer Barrel Polka I thought I was at a Polish Wedding.

BUT, Maine definitely doesn't capitalize all that well on all their opportunities. They choked a few times on breakaways, and they got their long telegraphed cross-ice passes picked off at least twice.

Kariya (the youngest and LAST of them, I think?) skates in little lightning fast steps . Colin Shields scored 2 of their goals, including the first quick one, and the one when they were up 5 on 3. He assisted on another, I believe. Kariya got the second and Francis Nault the last.

Hahvahd looked the best when there were matching penalties and it was 4 v. 4. The open ice worked to their advantage. Maine does a good job getting the puck across in front of the net and there always seems to be someone there and ready. The refs let them camp out in the crease a couple times, which was probably pissing off Dov just a tad. It was pissing us off, anyway.

Well, that's about it. If you would like a more testosterone filled and less girl-y report maybe Chris will have time to write later. Ask away and he can answer your questions in the proper hockey lingo.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---)
Date: December 15, 2002 06:03PM

[q]I almost had to leave when they played the Chicken Dance , though.[/q]

The Ran-gers Suck! :-D

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---)
Date: December 15, 2002 06:09PM

Maybe Chris can tell us more about "floor checking?";-)

Date: December 15, 2002 06:13PM

DeFLOORio, DeFORio.....almost the same. :-P

Posted by: cmoberg (---)
Date: December 15, 2002 07:00PM

From my point of view, all floor checking aside.... I dont know if it was a Hockey East bias, or a Maine home ice bias, but there was sure a bias in the officiating. Harvard was called time and time again for things that Maine was allowed to commit and go free on. The third period was called much more evenly.

I feel Maine was the faster team. They were able to control the Harvard breakouts and that cut the Harvard speed advantage. Also of note, was when Maine played a man down they sent both forwards into the Harvard zone to harass that breakout. That was pretty effective, Harvard was not able to generate consistent power play pressure. They also played man on man aggresive defense whereas Harvard played more of a box zone. Maine seemed to be everywhere.

Neither team played a bruising style. The Cornell fore check should be effective on Maine. Maine has a pretty breakout where they send a wing steaking down the ice and do a blue line to blue line cross ice pass. They did this 2 or 3 times. This was more effective early on when it caught Harvard by surprise. So Cornell should watch for it early.

I do not feel that Maine dominated Harvard, and the score does not show the closeness of the game. Had the first garbage goal not gone in and the weak point shot (that last goal). Harvards goals were both strong and well executed as were the other two Maine goals. Dov played well in streaks but not well throughtout the entire game. I dont know what the book on Howard is but Havard shot their first 20 shots low. He made seemingly easy stick and kick saves. The post did save Howard a number of times.

Not a cakewalk for Maine, so Hahvahd and the ECAC can feel good about the performance. (imho, of course)

Posted by: Josh '99 (---)
Date: December 15, 2002 10:22PM

Chris Moberg wrote:

Neither team played a bruising style. The Cornell fore check should be effective on Maine. Maine has a pretty breakout where they send a wing steaking down the ice and do a blue line to blue line cross ice pass. They did this 2 or 3 times. This was more effective early on when it caught Harvard by surprise. So Cornell should watch for it early.
Western Michigan ran some plays like this (if I'm visualizing what you're saying correctly) fairly effectively, though as far as I can recall no WMU goals directly resulted. If Maine does it more effectively than WMU and Cornell isn't on the lookout for it, we could see some breakaways generated, with a Maine wing getting in behind the CU defense.

Posted by: littleredfan (---)
Date: December 15, 2002 11:05PM

And in other action, Princeton loses 5-2 to Nottingham of England. I hope Coach Quesnelle rights that ship quickly. Being the doormat of the ECAC/Ivy this year is one thing; being the doormat of the world is another uhoh

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---)
Date: December 15, 2002 11:58PM

Musta been jet lag.:-/

Posted by: Will (---)
Date: December 16, 2002 09:35AM

Princeton this year is an embarrassment to American college hockey. The Brits probably think they can have their way with us now. Bloody hell.

Posted by: Josh '99 (207.10.33.---)
Date: December 16, 2002 11:26AM

One of the guys who got revenge on Volonnino wrote:

Princeton this year is an embarrassment to American college hockey...
And American college hockey su... wait, no, that's not right. nut

Posted by: littleredfan (---)
Date: December 21, 2002 12:13PM

Princeton goes on to lose ALL of their games on the England tour. You know, it sure would've been nice for them to at least rack up some kind of wins (even if only exhibition ones) to make them optimistic as they look to salvage the season. Losing to a foreign country not in North America nor on the mainland of Europe just stinks.

But they WILL make the ECAC playoffs! Wouldn't it be just great if they somehow went on a tear and won the whole thing nut

Date: December 21, 2002 12:17PM

Um, no :-P

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login