Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Too damn many student athletes wearing skates

Posted by billhoward 
Too damn many student athletes wearing skates
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 30, 2007 05:33PM

Elsewhere on the forum (see Other Sports), there's grousing (he didn't get in) and cheers (Cornell's standards remain high) when a basketball prospect was denied admission. Like it's gonna make a difference: We'll win the Ivy hoops title one of these years and be a 15 seed that gets blown out instead of 16 seed that gets pummeled.

Maybe we've got the opposite problem at Lynah: Too many of the hockey players are attending class regularly and getting good grades. Sheesh, this never would have happened in my day. The nerve. And it's not just a couple guys, it's half the freaking team is smart.

cornellbigred.com
10 Men's Hockey Players Named To ECACHL All-Academic Team. McCutcheon's third career honor highlights Cornellians on team. Senior Mitch Carefoot was one of 10 players named to the ECACHL All-Academic Team

March 29, 2007
ITHACA, N.Y. - The ECAC Hockey League released the annual All-Academic Teams on Thursday, with 10 Cornell men's hockey players among the 147 players honored by the league. Players are eligible for recognition on the All-Academic team if they carry a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.00 or have a grade point average of 3.00 or better over the last three semesters.

Senior forward Mark McCutcheon leads the 10 Cornellians on the team, earning the third award of his career at Cornell. McCutcheon, an applied economics and management major, is one of 13 players league-wide to be a three-time honoree.

Joining McCutcheon on the All-Academic team are fellow seniors Mitch Carefoot (biological sciences), Matt Hedge (applied economics and management) and Evan Salmela (applied economics and management). All four members of Cornell's junior class were named to the team, with Chris Fontas (applied economics and management), Doug Krantz (hotel management), Raymond Sawada (human biology) and Topher Scott (sociology) each earning their first honors.

Rounding out the honorees for the Big Red are sophomore Dan DiLeo (sociology) and freshman Colin Greening (economics).

Cornell finished the 2006-07 season with a 14-13-4 overall record and was fourth in the ECAC Hockey League. The Big Red earned a bye into the quarterfinals of the league tournament for the fifth consecutive season, the only school across the league to do so.
-- [cornellbigred.cstv.com]

Re: Too damn many student athletes wearing skates
Posted by: ithacat (128.253.193.---)
Date: March 30, 2007 05:43PM

Here's the list:

RPI        22
Brown      20
Harvard    14
Quinnipiac 14
Princeton  13
SLU        13
Union      12
Cornell    10
Colgate     8
Dartmouth   8
Yale        7
Clarkson    6

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: March 30, 2007 05:53PM

How can a Brown student have above a 3.0? Aren't they pass/fail?

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: March 30, 2007 05:56PM

ithacat
Here's the list:

RPI        22
Brown      20
Harvard    14
Quinnipiac 14
Princeton  13
SLU        13
Union      12
Cornell    10
Colgate     8
Dartmouth   8
Yale        7
Clarkson    6
Looks like Cornell benefits from not having too many players trying to get on the list.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 30, 2007 05:59PM

RPI has 22 players on the list? I want to be impressed at the academic commitment of the Engineer players/coaches. But with 22 of 26 qualifying with 3.0 GPA or better I just can't help but suspect something is going on. Man, I'm cynical.

Brown has 20 of 27, but it's common knowledge that Brown grades are bullshit.

Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 30, 2007 06:02PM

KeithK
RPI has 22 players on the list? I want to be impressed at the academic commitment of the Engineer players/coaches.

IIRC, they had about that many on the list last year.

Date: March 30, 2007 06:22PM

French Rage
How can a Brown student have above a 3.0? Aren't they pass/fail?
Nope: [www.brown.edu]

Grade Option

In most courses a student may, in consultation with the advisor, elect to be graded on a basis of either Satisfactory/No Credit or A,B,C/No Credit. ...

No Credit

No Credit is given when courses are not satisfactorily completed. Neither the notation No Credit nor the description of the course in which it is given are entered on the transcript.
The bullshit factor comes from the italicized sentence (emph. added). A brown student can fail classes and it'll never show up on his record.

Posted by: mtmack25 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 30, 2007 06:35PM

As a former AEM major, I will say that the players who are AEM majors are more likely to carry a 3.0 or better, and they should be. As a TA I had contact with many players and I can say that they were very intelligent and capable students. Actually, they were some of the best students to have in class. I think Schafer really rides them about school work.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 30, 2007 06:40PM

KeithK
RPI has 22 players on the list? I want to be impressed at the academic commitment of the Engineer players/coaches. But with 22 of 26 qualifying with 3.0 GPA or better I just can't help but suspect something is going on. Man, I'm cynical.

It would be helpful to know what the average GPA is at the respective schools. Also, to know what the average GPA is for the student's college and major.

Date: March 30, 2007 07:07PM

Swampy
KeithK

It would be helpful to know what the average GPA is at the respective schools. Also, to know what the average GPA is for the student's college and major.
Yep.

Most of the RPI players are Management majors. Only a small handful of the Engineers are really engineers (and even fewer if you don't count "Industrial and Management Engineering";). I do see two "real" engineers, one math major and one bio major on their all-academic list. Since I feel like dropping the cynicism for a bit I will take it for granted that the RPI Management major is not basket weaving and be pleased that the RPI (non-)Engineers are keeping up the ECAC's tradition of academic excellence. :-)

Posted by: jkahn (---.73.146.216.biz.sta.networkgci.net)
Date: March 30, 2007 07:33PM

billhoward
Too many of the hockey players are attending class regularly and getting good grades. Sheesh, this never would have happened in my day.
I've got to defend the guys from my era here. We can start with Ken Dryden, who reportedly was in the 3.6-3.7 range as a History majory, and this was when 2.90 to 4.30 represented the top quartile according to the info that went to grad schools with my transcript. And while we on the subject of goalies, Ned's other team starred Butch Hilliard in goal, arguably the best lacrosse goalie ever, an Engineering Physics major with a 3.9. Butch was my dorm counselor second semester of my freshman year. There were plenty of other hockey players on those '69 and '70 teams who did well academically too. John Hughes got an MBA and JD, Brian Cornell went on to run Cooper & Lybrand's Boston office, Ed Ambis (as I hear in the ads during the games) is a dentist and there are plently of successful others. Bob Zimmerman, who was a freshman in '69-'70 and played only briefly as a sophomore, ranked #1 in the Ag school at some point. I remember seeing him reading Gulliver's Travels during a varsity game at Lynah his freshman year and kidding him about it afterward.

Re: Too damn many student athletes wearing skates - surely I jest
Date: March 30, 2007 08:35PM

jkahn
billhoward
Too many of the hockey players are attending class regularly and getting good grades. Sheesh, this never would have happened in my day.
I've got to defend the guys from my era here. We can start with Ken Dryden, who reportedly was in the 3.6-3.7 range as a History majory, and this was when 2.90 to 4.30 represented the top quartile according to the info that went to grad schools with my transcript. And while we on the subject of goalies, Ned's other team starred Butch Hilliard in goal, arguably the best lacrosse goalie ever, an Engineering Physics major with a 3.9. Butch was my dorm counselor second semester of my freshman year. There were plenty of other hockey players on those '69 and '70 teams who did well academically too. John Hughes got an MBA and JD, Brian Cornell went on to run Cooper & Lybrand's Boston office, Ed Ambis (as I hear in the ads during the games) is a dentist and there are plently of successful others. Bob Zimmerman, who was a freshman in '69-'70 and played only briefly as a sophomore, ranked #1 in the Ag school at some point. I remember seeing him reading Gulliver's Travels during a varsity game at Lynah his freshman year and kidding him about it afterward.
Next, Mister Class of '70, you're going to say nobody rolled a doob in your four years on the hill, either. The thread was actually meant tongue in cheek but I hate using emoticons and figure, what the heck, some people will read it seriously, but okay ...

Let me rephrase and clarify the initial post with all seriousness and jealousy: It is humbling, was humbling, and probably will be humbling, to see other males at Cornell who can propel a hockey puck at 100 mph (or get a glove on same), carry a full course load, and date better looking women weekly than I probably even talked to in my four years. Then on top of it, half of them are carrying a GPA well above 3.0 and in a couple cases did things I never dreamed of, like get into Yale Med. Or go to law school and then have a daughter who wins a gold medal.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2007 08:44PM by billhoward.

Re: Too damn many student athletes wearing skates - surely I jest
Posted by: jkahn (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 30, 2007 09:14PM

Bill- I'm just reacting to your "never would have happened in my day" comment. I'm proud as hell of what the recent guys have done both on and off the ice.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 30, 2007 10:05PM

KeithK

Actually, RPI has 22 of 24 eligible players on that list. Of the 26 on the roster, one left in midseason, and one, Bill Neubert, played too little to be eligible. This is the most ever because I don't think that Freshmen used to make the list.

Grade inflation has gone amok.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 30, 2007 10:35PM

KeithK
Swampy
KeithK

Yep.

Most of the RPI players are Management majors. Only a small handful of the Engineers are really engineers (and even fewer if you don't count "Industrial and Management Engineering";). I do see two "real" engineers, one math major and one bio major on their all-academic list. Since I feel like dropping the cynicism for a bit I will take it for granted that the RPI Management major is not basket weaving and be pleased that the RPI (non-)Engineers are keeping up the ECAC's tradition of academic excellence. :-)

Dan Peace* Jr. Electrical Engineering
Ryan Swanson* Sr. Chemical Engineering

Note Dan is the son of Dave Peace '75 (who was a regular on the dean's list at CU) and his sister just graduated from Cornell and is headed to U of Michigan Law School.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 31, 2007 02:02AM

Here is the entire ECAC list: [www.rpiathletics.com].

Also, the women's list: [www.rpiathletics.com].

Re: Too damn many student athletes ... where's RichS?
Date: March 31, 2007 08:27AM

Your post sullies the honor of the Golden Knights, suggesting by statistics that their student-athletes are less of the former than latter. Where's Rich in all this? If's he away on vacation, does have a guest host/poster the way Letterman does?

I'm just waiting for Rich to post ("Dave Taylor, phi beta kappa, NHL, friend to small animals, yada-yada and goalie Bruce Bullock probably had a higher GPA than Dryden more yada-yada";) ... while Ugarte is lurking with the verbal equivalent of a foam two-by-four nicely shaped to whap upside Rich's posterior nanoseconds after the post clears.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login