Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell 3 at 3 Union 2/9/07 postgame

Posted by billhoward 
Cornell 3 at 3 Union 2/9/07 postgame
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 09, 2007 09:42PM

Not an overpowering game for Cornell. Especially after the game seemed to be in hand starting the third period up 3-1. (Famous sports line: "Two goals is the most dangerous lead in hockey.";)

Cornell's guns silent the last 40 minutes of play, notwithstanding the disallowed goal at the start of the third. Union had the second half momentum.

Plus Carefoot got injured and we don't know how bad.

Scrivens did not sound poised (according to the Union announcers). Does the rotation start up again Saturday at RPI? And will Ned be in the stands?

Cornell outshot 34-25 . Sheesh!

I'm still unbeaten as a game thread starter but 2-0-1 is far less glorious than 2-0-0. Time to pass the baton.

Re: Cornell 3 at 3 Union 2/9/07 postgame
Posted by: redheadfanatic (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 09, 2007 09:47PM

If only that 4th goal hadn't been waved off.

Re: Cornell 3 at 3 Union 2/9/07 postgame - plagiarizing Ari?
Date: February 09, 2007 09:49PM

Union assistant coach in postgame show on Union in the OT: "We just couldn't get the bounce." Author, author!

Posted by: Larry72 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 09, 2007 09:52PM

Just watched the replay of the waived off goal. Union goalie just bumped the net. It was never off the peg. Unbelievably bad call!!!

Posted by: Dafatone (74.71.45.---)
Date: February 09, 2007 09:55PM

As far as I'm concerned, we won that game. If a goalie can stop play by kicking the net, then why not do that all the time? I'm sure it's not hard to make it look accidental if the goalie is moving from one side of the crease to the other.

Seminoff's been our best defenseman all year. Carefoot's been our best forward for the past few weeks. Without either of them, we're in trouble.

Date: February 09, 2007 10:03PM

Dafatone
As far as I'm concerned, we won that game. If a goalie can stop play by kicking the net, then why not do that all the time? I'm sure it's not hard to make it look accidental if the goalie is moving from one side of the crease to the other.

Seminoff's been our best defenseman all year. Carefoot's been our best forward for the past few weeks. Without either of them, we're in trouble.

And Schafer's been our best coach. Got some holes to fill.

Re: Cornell 3 at 3 Union 2/9/07 postgame - low thread count
Date: February 09, 2007 10:09PM

Turnaround victories, come-from-behinds, and if-only-x-we-woulda-won generate conversation. Disappointing games lead to really low post numbers. Bet this will be one of them. Not much to say about what appeared to be an uninspired game against a team we shoulda beat.

Re: Cornell 3 at 3 Union 2/9/07 postgame - disallowed goal on YouTube?
Date: February 09, 2007 10:13PM

If somebody recorded the game, it would be great to see the Cornell non goal as a video clip. Hey, wouldn't it be cool if the athletic department did that for us ... ? There's a song about that happening -- Zagar & Evans (1969): In the Year 2525.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 09, 2007 10:15PM

From the game thread
Trotsky
Dartmouth beats Quinnipiac. This is a big chance to pick up ground on the Skating Deer Ticks.
Not to pick on himtwak:-D, but I think we have to start forgetting about moving up in the top 4, and just try and get there. D'mouth is now ahead of us, H'vard is right behind, but we have a game on them. They play Yale-Brown next weekend, then us. That last weekend looking more and more difficult.

Posted by: cth95 (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: February 09, 2007 10:24PM

billhoward
And Schafer's been our best coach.

Good one, Bill. I needed the chuckle I got from your post after being down about the game.

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: February 09, 2007 10:34PM

What exactly happened to Mitch? All I got from the game thread was something about a Union player hitting him and the net being knocked over/off (which may or may not have been related to Mitch's injury).

On a side note, Mitch is now Cornell's leading goal scorer for 2006-7, at least according to this page: [www.uscho.com]

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.caltech.edu)
Date: February 09, 2007 10:36PM

Liz '05
What exactly happened to Mitch? All I got from the game thread was something about a Union player hitting him and the net being knocked over/off (which may or may not have been related to Mitch's injury).

On a side note, Mitch is now Cornell's leading goal scorer for 2006-7, at least according to this page: [www.uscho.com]

I believe he had a breakaway and a pretty much guaranteed goal and a guy came up from behind and just plowed him into the net.

Date: February 09, 2007 10:46PM

Larry72
Just watched the replay of the waived off goal. Union goalie just bumped the net. It was never off the peg. Unbelievably bad call!!!
I can't disagree more. I also watched the replay. He came over to cover up the back door, hit the post with his skate, as you should do, and the net raised up an inch or so and moved back an equivalent amount. Agree it never came off the posts but was dislodged. The last view, after the puck was in, still showed the net off the ice. If we had the rule, did it affect the play or the goal, the answer would be no, and it would be counted. But I believe our rule is, if the net is dislodged, then no goal.

Date: February 09, 2007 10:49PM

Well, does anybody think a Schafer team from earlier years, would so easily blow a 3rd period 3-1 lead. We looked terrible after we lost that goal, and were lucky to get 1 point.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.ashbva.adelphia.net)
Date: February 09, 2007 11:22PM

Oh, it could happen.

Posted by: Steve M (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 10, 2007 12:29AM

I guess this season is meeting the low expectations I had at the outset. Trotsky/Kepler had a USCHO poll at the beginning of the year on how far we would fall. I voted for something like "Borderline TUC/Slightly above 0.500 ECAC." That's exactly where we are and I'm not expecting any more. Yes I know the season isn't over and anything can happen, but the odds of this team making the NCAAs are slim.

I just hope this is truly a rebuilding year like 2004 and not a long term shift in power.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 10, 2007 01:27AM

I'll try not to step on what Ari will write about the game, but this was a loss.

Carefoot looked really bad as he left the ice, but he came back out to watch at least the 3rd period from along the glass. I'm sure he enjoyed the taunting he received from 2 Union students as they walked by him on their way to an early departure.

I'm not familiar with the process for reviewing goals using replay or whatever, but Murphy was very wishy-washy on his goal calling. Carefoot's was a clear goal--he scored and was cross-checked into the crossbar.

McLeod is not the answer on defense. Coyle owned him on the first goal, and McLeod ended up having to commit a penalty later on because he got beat again. I realize he's just filling in, but our D looks atrocious with Seminoff gone and Glover still playing timidly.

You take a 3-1 lead into the 3rd against a horrible hockey team and lose.

Where were the Faithful tonight? There were a hell of a lot more students/recent alums at Union last year.

Oh, and our band was penalized by Onion for daring to play Davy after lineups were announced. Their punishment? The band could not play between periods. Instead, they hummed My Old Cornell and other songs.

I'm glad I am far away from Schenectady.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 10, 2007 01:43AM

Oh, and it's always nice to chat with the locals. My friend and I are walking around the rink between periods, trying to find concessions, and we run into this group of kids, none of whom can be more than 9. We tell them we go to Cornell, etc., and the kids are genuinely curious about college. Then, one kid, clearly a local, comes up and informs us that he "wipes his ass" with Cornell. We walk away.

We had hard candy thrown at us by Union fans who didn't appreciate the fact that we cheered, and then of course I mentioned how Carefoot was taunted after returning to the rink. Nice place, Union.

Posted by: daredevilcu (---.riverside.clarkson.edu)
Date: February 10, 2007 03:43AM

Messa truly has the least classy fans I've ever encountered in college hockey. I haven't been everywhere, but they seem to not care at all about the sport, and simply do everything they can to offend and instigate opposing fans. Their arena director is also very unaccomodating, and while it's unfortunate that your band was treated badly, at least you can take some solace in knowing you aren't being singled out -- we were treated just as poorly.

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: February 10, 2007 04:38AM

2-0-1 Bill. You have noone to blame but yourself for the blemish on your perfect threadstarter record.

What was that remark in the game thread about Ari's 3-2 prediction coming true? smashfreak

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: February 10, 2007 04:43AM

Jim Hyla
Larry72
I can't disagree more. I also watched the replay. He came over to cover up the back door, hit the post with his skate, as you should do, and the net raised up an inch or so and moved back an equivalent amount. Agree it never came off the posts but was dislodged. The last view, after the puck was in, still showed the net off the ice. If we had the rule, did it affect the play or the goal, the answer would be no, and it would be counted. But I believe our rule is, if the net is dislodged, then no goal.

I'm pretty sure they changed the rule a couple of years ago so that if the defense dislodges the net, the offense can still score into the dislodged net.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: February 10, 2007 08:39AM

jtwcornell91
Jim Hyla
Larry72

I'm pretty sure they changed the rule a couple of years ago so that if the defense dislodges the net, the offense can still score into the dislodged net.
But then it has to be a goal.

Posted by: RichH (---.tvc-ip.com)
Date: February 10, 2007 10:45AM

ebilmes
Oh, and our band was penalized by Onion for daring to play Davy after lineups were announced. Their punishment? The band could not play between periods. Instead, they hummed My Old Cornell and other songs.

I asked some band members why they weren't playing between periods, and the real reason is that they were told they can't because of the TV booth, which was placed on temporary media tables at the top of the bleachers.

Personally, I think that's that's horseshit. If TV wants to cover an event, they should adapt to the atmosphere, not vice-versa. Even an atmosphere that's as Mickey-Mouse-high-school as Achilles. Especially when it's just a local cable outfit.

I screamed a bit at the TV booth from across the rink and started a modest "Let Them Play!" chant during the 2nd intermission.

Posted by: RichH (---.tvc-ip.com)
Date: February 10, 2007 11:06AM

Jim Hyla
Well, does anybody think a Schafer team from earlier years, would so easily blow a 3rd period 3-1 lead. We looked terrible after we lost that goal, and were lucky to get 1 point.

Just sloppy, sloppy play all around. We're carrying hockey sticks, not whisk brooms...I wish we'd show that. So many swipes at the puck that were near whiffs, and the turnover bug that has hit us in at least 2-3 other games was back.

For the first time in a long time, CU looked like it was playing scared with a lead during the 3rd period. Never mind the big dump truck of momentum that was backed up in the first minute of the 3rd for Union. Flub at the blue-line leading to a SH breakaway goal, followed immediately by a stabilizing goal being waved off...you could just see where this was going. The Union fans and team were just lifted. Problem is, where the past few CU teams would've aggresively said "NO!" at that point. This team seemed to turtle back and hope for the best. I'm actually surprised that we didn't lose in OT...that's exactly what I felt would happen. Frankly, the way we played in OT, we probably should've lost.

I neglected to complement Scrivens for his good game vs. St. Larry. He played confidently, stayed on his feet, and was overall very stable. It was his best looking game to date. There were a few moments at Union where the lunging moments came back, but he made a few good saves. The SHG to start the 3rd was weak...it was a weak shot that beat him, despite being a breakaway. To his credit, he did stop another breakaway later in the game. And the tying goal...we've seen this before. A sharp-angle shot that found his 5-hole off his pad as he dropped down. Once, I can forgive as a fluke...now it's clear he needs an adjustment to stop exposing that possibility.

The team needs to get the killer instinct back when we have a 3rd period lead. Playing scared won't even get us to Albany.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2007 11:09AM by RichH.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2007 11:10AM

Scrivens wasn't amazing, but he could have easily let in another two or three goals in the third period, given all the breakaways and good shots we let up.

And Nash needs to stop whiffing on pucks when he tries to take a shot.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.ashbva.adelphia.net)
Date: February 10, 2007 11:57AM

So are we assuming Davenport tonight, and a regular rotation for the rest of the season?

Posted by: Rita (---.wave.hicv.net)
Date: February 10, 2007 12:03PM

Trotsky
So are we assuming Davenport tonight, and a regular rotation for the rest of the season?

After the Colgate series we thought we would see a goalie rotation, but Scrivens got the next three starts. I just don't know.

Date: February 10, 2007 01:30PM

Roy 82
2-0-1 Bill. You have no one to blame but yourself for the blemish on your perfect threadstarter record. What was that remark in the game thread about Ari's 3-2 prediction coming true?

The Hound of the Baskervilles
"Put into plain words, the matter is this," said he [Holmes]. "In your opinion there is a diabolical agency which makes Dartmoor [but not London] an unsafe abode for a Baskerville--that is your opinion?"

"At least I might go the length of saying that there is some evidence that this may be so."

"Exactly. But surely, if your supernatural theory be correct, it could work the young man evil in London as easily as in Devonshire. A devil with merely local powers like a parish vestry would be too inconceivable a thing."

So eLynah's reach is greater than that of a local parish vestry, in the words of Conan Doyle. How about Ari's reach? He predicted we'd be 18-4-3 after this weekend. Do note the score stayed at 3-2 for at least 45 seconds after Ari's 3-2 ending-score prediction was noted.

Regardless, I'm taking the eLynah buyout package and will pursue other opportunities. What was Richard Nixon's exit line in 1960 (if only he'd kept his word?)?

Sorry. No Goal.
Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2007 01:42PM

Can't score into a dislodged net.

Rule 6 Section 18 c (12) If the goal cage has been moved or dislodged. The goal frame is considered to be displaced if any portion of the goal frame is not in its proper position (e.g., Frame must be completely flat on the ice surface, goal posts must be in proper place and affixed securely
in place with its pegs.).

Edited because link below didnt seem to work.

Check [www.achahockey.org]::
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2007 01:56PM by TimV.

Date: February 10, 2007 02:03PM

So what's to stop a goalie from "accidentally" knocking the goal off its posts when he's in trouble? If he's too obvious, it would be a delay of game, right?

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.caltech.edu)
Date: February 10, 2007 02:13PM

Dafatone
So what's to stop a goalie from "accidentally" knocking the goal off its posts when he's in trouble? If he's too obvious, it would be a delay of game, right?

And potentially a penalty shot, I believe. I don't think that ever really happens.

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 10, 2007 04:00PM

Just finished listening to the game and it sounded like a pretty typical Cornell game for 2006/2007. Special teams were really the difference again. Not only did momentum really swing on a shorthanded goal, but Cornell could not score on the PP again. They were handed a gift PP to finish the game and barely mustered a shot. I believe Jason spit out 50th on the PP and 54th on the PK before the game. yark

They are going to need to win the special teams battle in order to win games down the stretch. Last night was 1-1 and they end up tying.

This team also appears to be pretty fragile, in that one moment in the game can derail the team. A missed penalty shot, or a disallowed goal can turn Cornell into a shell of a hockey team.

At least they aren't as fragile as the Bruins were against Carolina (4 goals in the final 5 minutes of the 2nd, and a hat trick for Whitney in 1:40)

Posted by: ebilmes (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: February 10, 2007 04:25PM

oceanst41
Just finished listening to the game and it sounded like a pretty typical Cornell game for 2006/2007. Special teams were really the difference again. Not only did momentum really swing on a shorthanded goal, but Cornell could not score on the PP again. They were handed a gift PP to finish the game and barely mustered a shot. I believe Jason spit out 50th on the PP and 54th on the PK before the game. yark

They are going to need to win the special teams battle in order to win games down the stretch. Last night was 1-1 and they end up tying.

Main problem on the PP is puck movement. Nobody is making passes that put their teammates in a position to score. We do the same shit around the outside every time, and as defenders realize we have no down low options, they start to challenge and force turnovers, like the one last night that seemed to deflect off Milo's skate. The only shots we get are from way outside, and these usually deflect off the PKers right in front of the shooter.

Don't think anyone's mentioned this, but our breakout play is horrific. We wait so long to bring it out that the defense has plenty of time to get set up, and we turn the puck over around the red line, at best. Maybe 1 in 5 times, we actually manage to dump the puck in the opposite zone. May as well just ice it.

Date: February 10, 2007 04:27PM

Our PK looked very good last night, before we accuse the special teams of too much.

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 10, 2007 05:27PM

I was more pointing out special teams as a whole, not one unit or the other.

I assume this goes for most teams, but if you are losing the special teams goal differential you lose the game. With Cornell's inability to score on the PP it makes every goal given up on the PK that much more important.

I checked back and Cornell has only lost one game (Brown) and tied another (@Clarkson) in which they won the special teams goal differential and won only 3 games in which they lost it (all were in a row to start the ECAC regular season @Brown, @Yale, Harvard), tying another (RPI).

Either way they have to go out an find a way to beat RPI tonight.

Edit: Assuming other teams stayed about the same after last night our PP stays about 50 and the 0-6 rockets our PK up to about 50th as we reach the 80% success rate
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2007 05:37PM by oceanst41.

Posted by: KP '06 (24.59.79.---)
Date: February 11, 2007 12:58PM

ebilmes

For which we got in trouble a second time.

And don't get me started on the DJ pumping music through the rink while we had an injured player down. Union doesn't deserve D-I sports.

Posted by: ftyuv (12.148.252.---)
Date: February 12, 2007 01:28PM

Jacob '06
Dafatone

And potentially a penalty shot, I believe. I don't think that ever really happens.

Happened this year (well, season) at a SLUt/BU game: [www.ecachockeyleague.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login