Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Dartmouth @ Cornell -Post Game Comments 11/11/06

Posted by Rita 
Dartmouth @ Cornell -Post Game Comments 11/11/06
Posted by: Rita (---.ind.choiceone.net)
Date: November 11, 2006 09:35PM

A very exciting last minute, but unfortunately too little too late. However, I do like that this team is not giving up and is skating it out to the final whistle. It is good to see that we can get late game goals, now if only we can get those goals to be "insurance goals"....

Re: Dartmouth @ Cornell -Post Game Comments 11/11/06
Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 11, 2006 09:51PM

Played better than last night but still not generating anywhere near as much as offense as they should. Didn't give up a 5-on-5 goal the whole weekend which is a good thing. Guys have to be crashing the net and playing with the same level of urgency the whole game as they did in the final minute. No traffic, no goals and that was the story offensively tonight for Cornell. Bitz isn't playing anywhere close to the level he needs to be at. Thought Seminoff and Taylor Davenport were both very good again. Milo had his best game with Cornell. Liked Gallagher as well. Sawada not playing physical enough. Story of the game is Cornell not getting a shot on their 5-on-3 in the first period and Dartmouth scoring on their's. That's the ball game right there.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: November 11, 2006 09:52PM

Our play seemed a lot like our play last night against Sucks. I didn't think we played a bad first period, but it was our worst period score-wise. The second period was pretty bad; we were lucky Dartmouth didn't score. I think we would have won if we had capitalized on the penalty shot. It's a different game if you go into the second intermission down 2-1, not 2-0.

I was puzzled why Schafer kept Davenport on the bench when we were down 3-0 with a minute left. He would have been considered a genius if we ended up tying, but we ran out of time.

Dartmouth was a better team, IMO. Bigger, and more D-oriented. Our small freshman forwards (Gallagher, Milo, Romano) just got suffocated on the rushes.

Davenport, again, was solid. He kept us in the game again; we just couldn't get the offense going. We definitely had chances, just nothing went in.

We didn't deserve to win either game this weekend, but I'll take the lucky win over Sucks last night. At least volleyball won...

Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: November 11, 2006 09:55PM

ebilmes
I was puzzled why Schafer kept Davenport on the bench when we were down 3-0 with a minute left. He would have been considered a genius if we ended up tying, but we ran out of time.

Because he doesn't give up.

Posted by: scannon (205.232.75.---)
Date: November 11, 2006 09:58PM

I was really impressed by Dartmouth, they seemed very solid and didn't make too many mistakes.

At the end Devine started to try to fake out the crowd doing remote controll goalie and about a minute later let in two goals. Overall I thought he played extremely well though; both games this weekend Dartmouth has been outshot by a long way but still won.

I also thought we played well and fought all the way it just didn't quite fall our way.:-(

Posted by: RazzBaronZ (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 11, 2006 10:15PM

I thought we were very lazy tonight. Many times, I saw a puck I expected our guys to be able to get to, and they never did. Either Dartmouth is ridiculously fast, or we just didn't want it.

Our power plays were extremely frustrating, with little movement and lots of slapshots from far out.

The game would have been ridiculous had we at least tied it, but we definitely did not deserve to win tonight.

Posted by: fullofgas (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 11, 2006 10:19PM

I disagree. I thought we played much better tonite but didn't get the breaks. I think Harvard looked like the better team last night and we looked like the better team tonite.
Our passing was much better tonight and Davenport was very good for the most part. He won't strike fear in the hearts of teams like a Lenevue but he is solid.
Special teams needs a little work.
And a moral victory was won by putting in the two late goals. Much to build on there, methinks.

Posted by: dre1614 (---.lv.lv.cox.net)
Date: November 11, 2006 10:19PM

Can anyone give me their thoughts on Romano so far this season? I've seen him a couple times with the NY Bobcats.

Does his speed, and acceleration stick out like it did with NY? and what type of career do you expect him to have with Cornell.

appreciate it

Posted by: Omie (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 11, 2006 10:25PM

The main problem with our team is that our power play is pathetic. We have converted only 13% of the time this season and we went 0/14 this weekend! I think our offense was there tonight but we were stopped by a very good D and outstanding goalie. Troy played really well the 2nd and 3rd periods but had 5 saves in 7 shots on the 1st which is what put us in the 2-0 hole for most of the game.

Our team looked much better tonight than last night but we need to improve our special teams. Right now we are ranked 55 of 59 in combined special teams.

Overall good weekend. LGR!!!

PS. Who's going to Q?
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2006 10:27PM by Omie.

Posted by: las224 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 11, 2006 10:28PM

LOVED Devine trying to fake out the remote control goalie. Too bad he didn't do that earlier, or we might have gotten 3 instead of 2. On another cheering note, my sign was taken away apparently because the Dartmouth coaches complained. When the players came out for the third period I saw a lot of them sitting on the bench reading it, so hopefully that got to them a bit too. We need to come up with some new ways to harass the visiting teams, as they seem to be working pretty well.

Overall, I just wish Cornell would play a bit more aggressively. Spend a little less time setting up the shot, and a lot more time shooting whenever there's an opening. I got the impression that coach had told the guys to do a certain play, so they did that play regardless of any opening that might come up sooner, or Dartmouth Ds blocking that play (Lovejoy was pretty impressive whenever our guys were coming down the side of the ice with the puck). Also, there were a bunch of shots that I think could have been goals if there had just been less hesitation. The guy next to me was joking about our guys holding the puck while the net was open and waiting to shoot until Devine was in place, but honestly, that's what it looked like sometimes.

I want to add that this is all VERY very critical and nitpicky. I thought while we didn't play our best tonight, we were up against a pretty tough team. Devine was pretty solid in the net until the end (I heard some people referring to him as a stone wall), and Dartmouth was just all over the place in blocking and harassing our guys. However, I think this game really showed our young team. We took a lot of penalties (half of which were REALLY poor refereeing), and there was a lot of sloppiness. To be expected, but hopefully we can really learn from this and improve. Let's go Red!

Posted by: fullofgas (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 11, 2006 10:31PM

What did your sign say?

Posted by: las224 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 11, 2006 10:33PM

fullofgas
What did your sign say?

"Put your Johnson in your Dartmouth and SWALLOW!!!"
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2006 10:33PM by las224.

Posted by: jks32 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 11, 2006 10:40PM

any news on Taylor Davenport? i guess its too early to ask, but towards the end of the game i saw him collide with a dartmouth player and slide into the boards near our bench. he came off the ice immediately after that and i thought he looked like he hurt an ankle. i didnt see him for the rest of the game, but it was almost over at that point.

Date: November 11, 2006 10:53PM

jks32
any news on Taylor Davenport? i guess its too early to ask, but towards the end of the game i saw him collide with a dartmouth player and slide into the boards near our bench. he came off the ice immediately after that and i thought he looked like he hurt an ankle. i didnt see him for the rest of the game, but it was almost over at that point.

Hopefully he's fine because he has been one of team's best players the last four games.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 11, 2006 11:06PM

las224

Wow. You should consider yourself lucky you weren't expelled on the spot. :-D

Posted by: scannon (205.232.75.---)
Date: November 12, 2006 12:38AM

I saw that; I giggledburnout

Date: November 12, 2006 12:47AM

dre1614
Can anyone give me their thoughts on Romano so far this season? I've seen him a couple times with the NY Bobcats.

Does his speed, and acceleration stick out like it did with NY? and what type of career do you expect him to have with Cornell.

appreciate it

Yes, as Ari's mentioned in a column, his speed and fancy moves definitely energize the Faithful when he's on the ice. However, there've been some times in which he's tried to go coast-to-coast himself, or make a move around a defender and just gotten stripped of the puck. It's clear he has potential; it's just going to take him some time to adjust to the much tougher D he's facing this year.

Posted by: Townie (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 12, 2006 08:34AM

fullofgas
I disagree.
Special teams needs a little work.

They need more than a little work. IIRC, all goals against this weekend were on our PK, most of them being back-door hangers. And, we scored no PP goals. The good news is we're not relying on PP goals to win games, and Schaf should be able to improve PK and PP play.

Dartmouth played solid D in all 3 zones (didn't trap much), blocked many of our shots, and enjoyed a solid performance from Devine.

Davenport kept us in both games. He's solid.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 12, 2006 10:58AM

Considering how we were generally concerned about defense/goaltending heading into the season, the fact that we are angst is focused upon the offense is probably a good thing.

The power play is the big issue right now, but I'm confident Coach will get it straightened out.

I don't think we could be any happier with Davenport right how. He looks rock-solid. Scrivens must be pretty good for the competition to have been deemed a toss-up heading into the opener (assuming that is in fact the case).

The league seems more balanced than ever right now. A real case of "on any given night" type of results the first two weeks. Still, it's inexplicable that Clarkson loses to Princeton at home after losing to the Q; and, what the hell is wrong with Colgate?

Posted by: WillR (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: November 12, 2006 02:19PM

las224
fullofgas
What did your sign say?

My question is why did Dartmouth keep the sign? Did they want proof that this evil sign could no longer torment them from afar or did the coach think there were some good ideas in it to work on during practice?

Posted by: las224 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: November 12, 2006 03:43PM

ebilmes
dre1614

appreciate it

Yes, as Ari's mentioned in a column, his speed and fancy moves definitely energize the Faithful when he's on the ice. However, there've been some times in which he's tried to go coast-to-coast himself, or make a move around a defender and just gotten stripped of the puck. It's clear he has potential; it's just going to take him some time to adjust to the much tougher D he's facing this year.

My impression was that it's less about him adjusting to the tougher D and more about playing with the team, and learning to pass when there's an opening. He seemed to keep wanting to do it all on his own, and then getting the puck taken as a result.

Posted by: nr53 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 12, 2006 07:00PM

las224
ebilmes
dre1614

appreciate it

My impression was that it's less about him adjusting to the tougher D and more about playing with the team, and learning to pass when there's an opening. He seemed to keep wanting to do it all on his own, and then getting the puck taken as a result.

Thats my opinion as well. It could be that he's used to being the go-to guy on a team and having to do a lot of things himself as Moulson probably felt a few times. Its very exciting to watch, but it must frustrate his linemates quite a bit.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (12.156.198.---)
Date: November 12, 2006 08:22PM

redhair34
ebilmes

Because he doesn't give up.
Absolutely, but I expect it also had something to do with telling the team that they better not ever give up.

I've been extremely happy with the team this year. If anyone doubts us, all you have to do is to look at what we and the press were saying before the season began. Unfortunately too many expect perfection all the time. At this game, as I was coming out of the bathroom after the second period, a "fan" (townie not student) said well they have 20 minutes to redeam themselves.

Are you kidding me? Here we have upperclassmen loaded Colgate and Harvard and where are they. Certainly they are not running away with the title. We are doing extremely well, considering how young we are.

As others have mentioned, our defense is good and offense is fun to watch. We have never had great PP, so I don't expect it now, better yes, great ,no. I do expect our PK to get better.

All cosidered, remember how many underclassmen we are playing, and think about how good we could be with experience.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 12, 2006 08:33PM

Jim Hyla
As others have mentioned, our defense is good and offense is fun to watch. We have never had great PP, so I don't expect it now, better yes, great ,no. I do expect our PK to get better.

Actually, we had the best PP and PK in the country in 2004-2005 [www.uscho.com] , when the current seniors were sophomores. It's not totally unreasonable to think that Cornell should be capable of getting back to the top of that listing again this year.

Posted by: mhand06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 12, 2006 09:08PM

to bad we didnt win

Posted by: Rita (---.ind.choiceone.net)
Date: November 12, 2006 09:12PM

I think that the first half of the season will be rough with the PK and PP until they figure out which group of guys work well together. Even if they figure something out in the next 2 weeks or so, it will get "rusty" during the exam break and then take another few games to scrape the rust off.

I am pleased with our even strength play. During the offseason we were not too optimistic about the D and goalie situation. Troy Davenport and the D are holding their own 5 v 5. Let's hope that the PK woes can be cured soon. You would think that with all the penalties called to date that the players should be getting a feel of who needs to be covering which areas/players and the communication needed to have a successful PK unit. Of the two, the PK should be an easier fix than the PP.

With the influx of new and young talent up front, it may take longer for the PP to find that chemistry.

At this point in the season to be 5-1 with 2 solid road wins and a come from behind win with ~5 minutes left is very good.

Date: November 12, 2006 09:29PM

Rita
At this point in the season to be 5-1 with 2 solid road wins and a come from behind win with ~5 minutes left is very good.

Against Sucks, no less! I agree with everyone who says we are doing a lot better than expected. It's still early in the season, and our teams have really started to play well after Winter Break the past couple years, so I am very pleased with where we are so far.

Posted by: plrd78 (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 12, 2006 10:20PM

About Romano, a few of us who play in locally think he is special, Sometimes he holds the puck to much because instead of his teamates getting open, they watch him. Overall he produces and has not caused any goals for the enemy. Another thing Ari has never laced up a pair of skates...His comments are a joke...There is back up to wahta he says about some of the Freshman..

Posted by: plrd78 (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 12, 2006 10:37PM

He is fast, probably the fastest player on the team. Great hands too....Just has to learn to know when to shooooott..End to end rush's are fun to see but 5 /10 times he gets through, the other times he is lossing the puck or gets stopped, he will learn 6 games in are we being to hard...The Devils like him right.... But at least someone is taking control. Dump and Chase is out the new guys are making a statement..Scott, Barlow and Romano play real fancy, something new for our team, First time we have wittnessd this type of play ever..Its fun to watch

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 12, 2006 11:58PM

Just finished watching this one. Figures Cornell plays lousy and wins Friday while coming out strong and taking the play to DC on Saturday and lose. They were looking great until that first PP for Dartmouth and then it just seemed like they were derailed. There was a large shot discrepancy, but it was more typical of Cornell the past few years where a lot of them weren't from "high percentage" areas.

For this team to be 5-1 at this point is great. It is important to keep the perspective that they weren't "supposed" to finish higher than 4th in the conference. So anything more should be gravy.

As far as the special teams go, I feel like you can teach that stuff over the course of a season. 5 on 5 play is harder to teach obviously, so it's not a terrible thing that the team has the PP/PK to work on in practice.

Posted by: A-ron (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 13, 2006 02:32AM

I felt that the loss was almost made up for when the Dartmouth fans held up their "D" flag upside down after the second goal. Following the "upside down" chant I heard someone yell out "your Ivy standing has been revoked!" Oh wait, that was me. The improperly held flag was akin to the improperly ordered "U" "N" and "H" letters at the frozen four (at least I think that was the frozen four...losses to UNH in the NCAAs seem to happen more and more frequently).

By the way, who was on the power play in the second period who got the puck with the entire right half of the net open and sat there with it for a good two seconds before realizing he had no shot and had to pass it back to the blue line? That happened way too frequently on the power play and we need to just let those rip. (I think it was about midway through the second period and it would have been one of our guys who plays the right side)

Date: November 13, 2006 09:23AM

A-ron
The improperly held flag was akin to the improperly ordered "U" "N" and "H" letters at the frozen four (at least I think that was the frozen four...losses to UNH in the NCAAs seem to happen more and more frequently).

I believe this was the round of 8 in Worcester in 2002.

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: November 13, 2006 01:27PM

Isn't an upside-down D still a D?

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Date: November 13, 2006 02:05PM

French Rage
Isn't an upside-down D still a D?

"Upside-down! Upside-down! Upside-down!" makes for a better cheer than "Rotated 180 degrees! Rotated 180 degrees! Rotated 180 degrees!"

Date: November 13, 2006 02:14PM

plrd78
Another thing Ari has never laced up a pair of skates...His comments are a joke...There is back up to wahta he says about some of the Freshman..

Neither has Ken Hitchcock or Jay Feaster. Also, I played hockey for five or six years. Thanks for comin'out buddy.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: November 13, 2006 04:21PM

scoop85
Considering how we were generally concerned about defense/goaltending heading into the season, the fact that we are angst is focused upon the offense is probably a good thing.

The power play is the big issue right now, but I'm confident Coach will get it straightened out.

I don't think we could be any happier with Davenport right how. He looks rock-solid.

Yep, he really looked good against Harvard -- he certainly kept Cornell in that game. Against Dartmouth, he was fine when tested. And it isn't as if you can hold an ENG against him. :-P

The pp needs to be much more aggressive. But we've seen this whenever a staff is rotating guys through trying to find the right combination. One thing someone close to the program pointed out over the weekend is that Greening has a heavy shot which is wasted when he's planted out in front. Also, I'm not sure he has the quick hands you need to scoop in the garbage. This is a place where Cornell is clearly hurt by not having the usual quota of immovable behemoths. Short of fidning Shane Hynes and putting him back out there, I'm not really sure what Mike can do about it.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: November 13, 2006 04:25PM

ebilmes
Rita

Against Sucks, no less! I agree with everyone who says we are doing a lot better than expected. It's still early in the season, and our teams have really started to play well after Winter Break the past couple years, so I am very pleased with where we are so far.

The Saturday performance was, IMHO, a great sign. They put everything out on the ice Friday and could have mailed it in. Instead, they fought a tough game, got zero breaks through the first 59 minutes, and still came within a goal, a missed penalty shot, and a eyelash of tying a very good Dartmouth team.

Underclass-dominated teams tend to struggle early. 5-1 sho' aint struggling. This coming weekend looks like the ridiculous (Princeton) and the sublime (Q). A 2-point weekend or better positions the Red very well in conference.

And, perhaps least important but still... this group is fun to watch! popcorn

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.caltech.edu)
Date: November 13, 2006 04:28PM

Its kind of tricky b/c Topher seems to be the best person on the team at picking up the garbage goals in front of the net, but hes too small to be the screen man on the pp. He also seems to have well established his role as the set-up man in the corner. We need to distrubute the puck among the guys down low a lot more, and try and string more than one pass in a row without pausing.

Posted by: redhair34 (---.public.cornell.edu)
Date: November 13, 2006 04:31PM

Trotsky
This is a place where Cornell is clearly hurt by not having the usual quota of immovable behemoths. Short of fidning Shane Hynes and putting him back out there, I'm not really sure what Mike can do about it.

I think Sawada has performed very well in this role on the "second" unit. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Mugford in front for the first unit. He's probably the toughest most fearless guy on the team, which means he'd be willing to take all kinds of punishment in front of the net to set up screens, and IMO he has pretty decent (read: underrated) hands. But, perhaps he's not all that skilled at deflecting/redirecting or coach doesn't want to wear him out (already on the pk and the line that sees the most 5x5 time).

Posted by: A-ron (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 13, 2006 07:54PM

I knew something seemed wrong about "upside-down" and it didn't hit me until you just mentioned it...

Now if only I could go down to Florida this year to cheer for UHN...

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: November 13, 2006 10:50PM

It seems the general consensus is that the team played well on Saturday but couldn't get any breaks. Am I the only one who disagrees?

Sure they outshot DC, but it's not like the Green were playing particularly well. The second half of the game was sloppy on all sides. Devine made a couple of good saves to hold the lead, but it's not as if he stood on his head.

I came away thinking Cornell was spent after Friday, Dartmouth was beatable and both teams played sloppy hockey.

The three Red players who impresed me most were Nash, Krueger, and Scott. They play Nash made on the two on one was amazing.

Date: November 13, 2006 11:11PM

Chris '03
It seems the general consensus is that the team played well on Saturday but couldn't get any breaks. Am I the only one who disagrees?

Sure they outshot DC, but it's not like the Green were playing particularly well. The second half of the game was sloppy on all sides. Devine made a couple of good saves to hold the lead, but it's not as if he stood on his head.

I came away thinking Cornell was spent after Friday, Dartmouth was beatable and both teams played sloppy hockey.

The three Red players who impresed me most were Nash, Krueger, and Scott. They play Nash made on the two on one was amazing.

Agree in that they didn't play as well as many seem to think. They got shots but the good chances were about even. Biggest issue for me is that they didn't play with enough urgency in the offensive zone and there wasn't enough crashing the net and paying the price. When they finally did play that way, they scored two goals in 23 seconds.

Additionally, they didn't set the tone physically which is a necessity on home ice particularly against a bigger team in Dartmouth.

Nash has struggled badly on the defensive side of things and has been decent offensively. His skating and quickness need a lot of work as he was getting caught way too much. Krueger has improved but has not seen the ice a whole lot. Scott was possibly their best player this weekend.

Posted by: RazzBaronZ (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: November 13, 2006 11:50PM

I agree with you, Chris '03. Look up towards the top.

We didn't deserve to win on Saturday.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: November 14, 2006 09:13AM

las224
LOVED Devine trying to fake out the remote control goalie. Too bad he didn't do that earlier, or we might have gotten 3 instead of 2. On another cheering note, my sign was taken away apparently because the Dartmouth coaches complained.

That's brilliant. Maybe if Gaudet is so concerned about sportsmanship, he should try teaching his players to salute their OWN fans after a big win on the road, instead of taunting the other team's. cuss

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Trotsky (---.ashbva.adelphia.net)
Date: November 14, 2006 09:39AM

redhair34
Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Mugford in front for the first unit. He's probably the toughest most fearless guy on the team, which means he'd be willing to take all kinds of punishment in front of the net to set up screens
Worth a shot. He certainly does not suffer abuse gladly -- people might be kinda afraid to muscle him out. starwars

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: November 14, 2006 12:16PM

Chris '03

Agreed in general, except that Devine made two great glove saves right in front of us (including on the penalty shot) and I think he deserves some credit for that.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: November 14, 2006 01:01PM

jtwcornell91
That's brilliant. Maybe if Gaudet is so concerned about sportsmanship, he should try teaching his players to salute their OWN fans after a big win on the road, instead of taunting the other team's.
Considering that we (fans) make a point of taunting our opponents we really shouldn't get too upset if they taunt us back. Maybe you should hold the players to a higher standard, but then these kids are college students too. Yes it sucks when another team has the chance to taunt us, but just remember that if they're bothering to taunt the fans then the fans have succeeded in getting into their heads.

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.uml.edu)
Date: November 14, 2006 01:04PM

Without that chance for players to taunt back with a lead we would never have had that wonderful experience with Boucher :-D

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.ilr.cornell.edu)
Date: November 14, 2006 01:09PM

Remember that time Dartmouth lost 10-1 in the ECACHL semifinals?

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.uml.edu)
Date: November 14, 2006 01:14PM

calgARI '07
Remember that time Dartmouth lost 10-1 in the ECACHL semifinals?

So no moral victory for DC for outshooting Sucks I guess

I almost felt bad for them, but then I realized I was being ridiculus and should just enjoy the moment. popcorn

Posted by: Jim Hyla (12.156.198.---)
Date: November 14, 2006 02:24PM

KeithK
jtwcornell91
That's brilliant. Maybe if Gaudet is so concerned about sportsmanship, he should try teaching his players to salute their OWN fans after a big win on the road, instead of taunting the other team's.
Considering that we (fans) make a point of taunting our opponents we really shouldn't get too upset if they taunt us back. Maybe you should hold the players to a higher standard, but then these kids are college students too. Yes it sucks when another team has the chance to taunt us, but just remember that if they're bothering to taunt the fans then the fans have succeeded in getting into their heads.
Maybe yes, but there is a time and place for everything. Taunting after you have won is usually considered poor form, whether you are a fan or a player. I certainly don't mind opponent fans taunting us back during a game. Heavens, that's part of the reason for doing it in the first place. But once the game is over, all negativity toward one another should cease.

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: November 14, 2006 02:46PM

Jim Hyla
But once the game is over, all negativity toward one another should cease.
I don't know, Jim. I think there is a reasonable post-game gloating period. It shouldn't include, say, needling on the handshake line or jumping on the other team's logo at center ice but an ironic salute to the crowd that has been riding you all game seems appropriate (if not ideal) to me.

Posted by: nr53 (---.citlabs.cornell.edu)
Date: November 14, 2006 02:50PM

ugarte
Jim Hyla
But once the game is over, all negativity toward one another should cease.
I don't know, Jim. I think there is a reasonable post-game gloating period. It shouldn't include, say, needling on the handshake line or jumping on the other team's logo at center ice but an ironic salute to the crowd that has been riding you all game seems appropriate (if not ideal) to me.

I thought it was a slight moral victory, second only to the guy who got tossed flipping us all off as he went into the locker room.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.cmbrmaks.akamai.com)
Date: November 14, 2006 03:11PM

ugarte
I think there is a reasonable post-game gloating period. It shouldn't include, say, needling on the handshake line or jumping on the other team's logo at center ice but an ironic salute to the crowd that has been riding you all game seems appropriate (if not ideal) to me.
I agree. "Which team is the winning team?" comes to mind. I'm man enough to take it when Cornell loses, because I want to be able to dish it out when Cornell wins without being a hypocrite.

Kyle
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2006 03:13PM by krose.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.cmbrmaks.akamai.com)
Date: November 14, 2006 03:12PM

nr53
I thought it was a slight moral victory, second only to the guy who got tossed flipping us all off as he went into the locker room.
Sorry, I must have missed this all the way out in Dryden... I mean, section G. What happened?

Kyle

Posted by: RichH (216.195.201.---)
Date: November 14, 2006 03:44PM

calgARI '07
Nash has struggled badly on the defensive side of things and has been decent offensively. His skating and quickness need a lot of work as he was getting caught way too much. Krueger has improved but has not seen the ice a whole lot. Scott was possibly their best player this weekend.

I've actually agreed with most of your player assessments this season, Ari, but I've got to disagree with your opinion of Nash. His on-ice presence is very striking to me, and I've rarely seen him make a mistake. His positioning and control are both outstanding. In fact, in trying to come up with reasons of why I'm so excited about him, all I can spew is a list of what sound like cliched adjectives: smooth, calm, composed, balanced, deliberate, and confident. His passes are crisp and strong, and he's got tremendous hands...the puck just sticks to his tape. I would normally peg a player like him as the perfect stay-at-home d-man, but he jumps into the play very well, and when he does he doesn't leave his linemate out to dry. He's a very smart 2-way defenseman, who doesn't need speed to be effective. Obviously, he's still a freshman and there are some mistakes and things he needs to improve on (shies away from the body checks), but so far, he's a very strong player to have on the blueline. I can see a pairing with Davenport or Seminoff to be very successful.

Two plays in particular stand out from Saturday night...the 2-on-1 defense that Chris '03 referenced. He sprawled perfectly to take away the pass, and when the shooter adjusted to step around to get to the slot, Nash swung his arm along the ice and poked the puck to the corner. The 2nd thing I remember was when he was carrying the puck through the neutral zone while the forwards were on a change. He weaved through 3 defenders and came right into the o-zone without getting touched.

And that's where I'll make this comparison. He's a very similar player to the '04-'05 version of Pokulok.

I've seen the last 4 games in person, and my favorite players to watch right now are Nash and Scott. Topher is just playing incredible hockey so far.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: November 14, 2006 03:49PM

ugarte
I think there is a reasonable post-game gloating period. It shouldn't include, say, needling on the handshake line or jumping on the other team's logo at center ice but an ironic salute to the crowd that has been riding you all game seems appropriate (if not ideal) to me.

I think it's inappropriate for two reasons:
1) Standards of behavior are different for players and fans.
2) It's an insult to your own fans who travelled to see you (e.g., the guy with the upside-down D) not to salute them instead.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: November 14, 2006 04:13PM

jtwcornell91

Even if were to accept this (which ... not really; they might be easier to discipline but that has nothing to do with whether they should be subject to more discipline), that doesn't mean that the players have to be as pure as Caesar's wife.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 14, 2006 06:13PM

Gotta go with Rich on this one. Robb can testify, I was telling him during Hahvahd warmups that after Brown & Yale (though esp. Yale), I thought Nash was one of the most natural looking skaters out there, freshman or no, and I expect he'll only get better. He works awfully hard, too.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Robb (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: November 14, 2006 06:19PM

Sing it, Brotha'! I testify!

(I also thought Nash looked great, without even considering that they were his 5th and 6th games. The sweep poke-check on the 2-on-1 defense that RichH referred to was fabulous.)

Date: November 14, 2006 06:29PM

I think I agree more with Ari than I do with Rich here. Nash looked out of position to me at certain points. I don't think he's an awful player in the least, but I do think he needs some work in some areas.

Posted by: Rich S (12.162.111.---)
Date: November 14, 2006 07:52PM

ugarte
jtwcornell91

Even if were to accept this (which ... not really; they might be easier to discipline but that has nothing to do with whether they should be subject to more discipline), that doesn't mean that the players have to be as pure as Caesar's wife.

Not that pure but they should exhibit good sportmanship before, during, and after the game.

That's what is expected. If they do anything less, well...they've just sunk to the level of Terrell Owens...or many NBA players. Ugh!

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 14, 2006 08:27PM

Rich S
Not that pure but they should exhibit good sportmanship before, during, and after the game.

Good point. Anyone think we should send Arthur in to the visiting locker room to read his "sportsmanship" announcement that he's forced to read to the fans? The fans aren't babies, just as the players aren't, and I'm upset that we're treated as such.

Fire Andy.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 14, 2006 09:23PM

Nash has been out of position occasionally, and caught flat-footed as guys go by him. But he's made some very good plays when he gets positioned right, and handles the puck very, very well for a large defenseman. A comparison to Pokulok isn't all that off, though I'm not sure he's at that level yet.

Date: November 14, 2006 10:53PM

Dafatone
Nash has been out of position occasionally, and caught flat-footed as guys go by him. But he's made some very good plays when he gets positioned right, and handles the puck very, very well for a large defenseman. A comparison to Pokulok isn't all that off, though I'm not sure he's at that level yet.

His skating reminds me the most of Pokulok, it looks effortless in the way that always annoyed me because it never seemed like Pokulok was even trying when he skated around.

Date: November 14, 2006 11:00PM

krose
nr53
Sorry, I must have missed this all the way out in Dryden... I mean, section G. What happened?

Kyle

Looking it up, it must have been Mike Hartwick (#10), but he definitely had a going away present for the fans after he was escorted off the ice after he and Bitz got a bit annoyed at eachother.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login