Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Hahvahd vs. BC

Posted by JohnnyB 
Hahvahd vs. BC
Posted by: JohnnyB (---)
Date: December 09, 2002 11:26AM

Any of you guys heading out to the game? I'll be checking it out. Kinda sad, been in Boston for four years and still haven't managed to get to a BC home game. Getting tickets is not easy. So, might as well see them at Lynah East. Now, the question is, do I wear my Cornell hat which has 'Harvard Sucks' embroidered on the back even though that may be who we support (quietly, of course)?

-john

Re: Hahvahd vs. BC
Posted by: RedAR (128.103.171.---)
Date: December 09, 2002 12:17PM

I just got my ticket this morning (from the Harvard ticket office).

I'm thinking if I would don my Cornell garb, or just walk in as a regular joe schmoe.

Date: December 09, 2002 12:21PM

I wouldn't do full Cornell garb, no need. I'll wear the hat just because it is appropriate for Lynah East. I'm thinking Grendel's Den may be a great place to hit before the game. I believe that would qualify as happy hour, good cheap food. We're sitting in section 1.

-J

Posted by: Melissa'01 (---)
Date: December 09, 2002 12:43PM

Yeah! I'd wear it. You can think that Harvard sucks and still cheer for them. Go ECAC!

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---)
Date: December 09, 2002 02:27PM

I would go in full Cornell regalia and cheer for Harvard. Make your presence known. B-]

Posted by: asshole 04 (---)
Date: December 09, 2002 03:27PM

speaking of Hahvahd...our next meeting should be fantastic for those who have tickets. Speaking of that...does anyone know that there is a Ticket Exchange Forum on the left of this page, second link from the top. There's some poor bastard(me) that desperately is looking for 1 or 2 Harvard Away game tickets...his pleas are rather pathetic, but he would seriously do anything to go to that game.

Thanks,
ass

Posted by: The Turkeybone (---)
Date: December 09, 2002 03:44PM

I suggest you learn a musical instrument :-P

Date: December 09, 2002 04:57PM

well...
if you change your handle from asshole to something a bit more appropriate (yeah, call me an old fart)
and are willing to pay face value for the tickets,

then I may be able to help you out.

I have a few extra tickets that I've been holding onto for friends. I can't guarantee it right now, but it seems as if I'll end up with a few left-overs.

anyway...

Posted by: gtsully (---)
Date: December 09, 2002 07:18PM

Wait, so there're still tickets left? I love it how Harvard pretends that they don't have a rivalry with us, but they do have one with BU and BC... and the Cornell game sells out in September while BC tickets are available two days before the game. Of course, it was probably mostly Cornell fans who bought the tickets, so basically, I have no point...

Posted by: pat (---)
Date: December 09, 2002 08:09PM

But John, you'd also be wearing an SC Bern scarf and singing in German. :-P (Knoepfli, schiess ein Moore?)

Date: December 09, 2002 08:13PM

"Auf's jetzt, Knöpfli, schiess ein Tor ... schiess ein Tor ... schiess ein To-o-or!"

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---)
Date: December 09, 2002 08:58PM

Now, now John... those don't count, remember? Just ask Hansen. :-D

Posted by: Matthew Miller (---)
Date: December 10, 2002 12:15PM

as requested...I've changed my name and am more than willing to pay face value for the tickets that you have. Keep me posted. You can reach me the easiest at the following e-mail address: mjm96@cornell.edu

-Matt

Date: December 10, 2002 01:46PM

crodge2k, his friend anne (not the anne who posts on this board), and I will be heading over the Bright (Lynah East) to cheer on an ECAC team against a HE team.

Grendel's Den sounds pretty good. Not positive (depending on schedule, I will let you know), but I think we (crodge2k, friend, and I) may join you for some grub.

I'm leaning toward donning more than just a cap that says "Cornell Hockey" to distinguish myself from the hahvahd "fans," but...

Date: December 10, 2002 02:22PM

I'll keep you informed. Although, I have to say, I understand Beth Chagrasulis' position in the "Polls" thread.:-P

If I don't contact you by mid to late January, can you post a reminder?

Posted by: Matthew Miller (---)
Date: December 10, 2002 02:28PM

will do...

Date: December 10, 2002 02:36PM

I'll be there with Lisa McGill. I, at least, will be wearing a Cornell Hockey hat with Harvard Sucks embroidered on the back. We'll be getting to Grendel's around 6 and would welcome any company. You may also find us wearing #17 (her) and #21 (me) if we decide to bust out the full outfits. If you don't make into Grendels we'll be in section 1 row 3.

-J

Posted by: crodger1 (198.105.0.---)
Date: December 10, 2002 02:41PM

[Q]-Matt

Given the name change (glad to see it), everybody wave and then say the following in unison: "See ya, a**hole, you goon."

LGR!

Date: December 10, 2002 02:47PM

Uh-oh... multiple sets of twins.

I also have a #17 (set of twins number 1?), AnneDVM #29 (set of twins number 2).

Our tix are standing room only... they only had single seats left, so I asked for standing room tix (the 877-GO-HARVARD-SUCKS guy didn't think to suggest them so I prompted him). They are 1/2 price :)

LGC?!

Posted by: ugarte (63.94.240.---)
Date: December 10, 2002 05:04PM

[Q] LGC?![/Q]

Let's not lose our head's here, crodge2k. Maybe we should settle for "Screw BU! BC too!" And throw in "Harvard Sucks!" when they are comfortably ahead . . . or desperately behind.

Date: December 10, 2002 05:29PM

I was counting on "BU Rejects" as a cheer given the enjoyable reaction to the "BC Rejects" cheer against BU. I'm mostly planning to just root against BC.

At the Harvard@BU game RedAR was quite clear that we were cheering for the ECAC. The old-timer BU fan sitting next to us couldn't understand how I could support Harvard at all (notice I said I)... he suggested that he would rather die than support BC in any non-conference games. But if the Harvard and Cornell coaches exchanged notes on the BU game for the good of the league, then for the good of the league "Go Harvard *cou.sucks.gh*". uhoh

Don't worry, my heart's in the right place. LGR!

Date: December 10, 2002 05:31PM

Yeah, but crodge, you almost accused me of being a turn-jersey when I said I'd be rooting for Harvard (for the good of the ECAC and Cornell, of course)

Date: December 10, 2002 05:51PM

Yeah... I don't have to worry that since I have no affiliation with Ha+rva+rd. I believe alma mater is defined (by the American Heritage Dictionary 4th edition, because I don't have access to the OED) as "The school, college, or university that one has attended." (I sure hope that's the case -- a narrow definition restricting it only to undergraduate study would mean that Cornell isn't my alma mater, though Cornell did play my "other" alma mater in hockey back in the 1900-01 season.)

Harvard isn't my alma mater, CrimsonAR ;-) . (Let the flaming begin -- the gloves are off).

Besides, the good people on the forum made it clear before the BU game what was in Cornell's best interest, and I know that is all that you and I really care about. Without the good folks here on the eLF I might have been headed for a life of crime, or worse. But the eLF has turned my life around and made me a somewhat productive member of society.

LGR!

Date: December 10, 2002 06:36PM

Alright, you guys, you definitely have to stop by Grendels. i want to witness this debate in person. I will be rooting for Harvard, as much as it pains me deep in my heart to say that. The ECAC has done quite well recently in the interleague play and I definitely want to see that continue. So, for an evening, we put our many differences (bastards didn't accept me into grad school....), shake hands (Harvard will always suck), and be supportive of a fellow Ivy League team (and JR, where ever you are, you are still a sieve!). Hope to see you guys tomorrow night.

-J

Posted by: Ben Doyle 03 (---)
Date: December 10, 2002 06:44PM

please. . .try and refrain from referring the Crimson by their real name, try to refer to them as;-) Harvard(sUcKs)!;-)

~thanks

Supporting Harvard?
Posted by: Keith K (---)
Date: December 10, 2002 07:03PM

When the ECAC gets to back to being on par with HE in performance and respect, when we don't much need to worry about other ECAC non-conf results dragging our RPI down, when the EZAC label is finally exorcised, then I'll gladly root for Harvard to have an 0-31-0 season.

Since I don't expect this to happen anytime soon, I'll have to settle for a 7-24-0 season from the Cantabs.

Date: December 10, 2002 08:17PM

You don't have to be so careful. John Harvard wasn't actually Voldemort, as hard as that may be to believe.

Posted by: Ben Doyle 03 (---)
Date: December 10, 2002 08:28PM

Very nice Harry Potter reference:-))

Posted by: RedAR (---)
Date: December 11, 2002 01:35AM

I'll be there. I just have to get to the ticket office well before the game to settle ticket issues for the Lynah East games coming up, as well as pick up my tickets for the BC game.

C'mon John (Beaber), where the jersey. We may be small in number, but we can at least be something of a contingent.

Date: December 11, 2002 09:49AM

The jersey is with me. It will be on for the game :) Tonight's gonna feel wrong, but be fun anyways.

Posted by: Tom Pasniewski 98 (---)
Date: December 11, 2002 10:34AM

Well then you should be easy to spot. Plus as at the Hahvahd-BU game, it's a lot of fun to watch the fans around you confused by who you're rooting for and should be even more fun in Harvard (sucks) own building. I'll come find you.

Posted by: Evan '02 (---)
Date: December 11, 2002 07:57PM

1 - 1 midway through the second. WHRB broadcasters make Adam look really good.

Date: December 11, 2002 07:59PM

Now 2 -1 BC on the PP. Still in second

Posted by: littleredfan (---)
Date: December 11, 2002 08:14PM

Evan, whats up with that man? Adam Wodon IS really good...he doesn't need the existence of crappy amateur Harvard broadcasters to make him look good! You best apologize....

Date: December 11, 2002 08:21PM

2-2 end of the second.
Good point. Adam does such a great job that he makes the WHRB kids look like junior high students.

Posted by: Section A (---)
Date: December 11, 2002 08:56PM

that game over yet?

Date: December 11, 2002 09:03PM

In OT

Date: December 11, 2002 09:13PM

2-2 Final

Posted by: gwm3 (---)
Date: December 11, 2002 09:37PM

I suppose that's a good result. A little more respect for the conference without Harvard actually picking up a win ;-)

Posted by: Greg Berge (---)
Date: December 12, 2002 03:40AM

Are "games v. common opponents" still a selection criterion? It's very nice to be picking up wins against teams that BC isn't beating.

Date: December 12, 2002 07:43AM

Greg wrote:

Are "games v. common opponents" still a selection criterion?
Yes. The Championships Handbook wasn't out yet the last time I checked, but the USCHO article indicated that there are now four criteria:

1. RPI (now back to 25/50/25)
2. Head-to-head
3. Record vs other TUCs (RPI>=.500 or AQ)
4. Record vs common opponents

Ratings Fallout
Date: December 12, 2002 09:20AM

Tying a higher-rated team boosted Harvard's KRACH and moved them from #10 to #8. It also moves them up a notch in the PWR because it gives them the PWC over Mass-Amherst. Part of that is what you'd expect, that BC now becomes a common opponent for the pair and UMA already lost to them. But another effect is that because Harvard's winning percentage goes down with the tie, Brown's opponents' winning percentage also goes down, which lowers Brown's RPI enough to make them not a TUC, which improves Harvard's record against TUCs and turns that criterion from a UMass win to a tie. The Crimson would still win the comparison over the Minutemen if they'd beaten rather than tied BC, but it would be closer (2-1 rather than 2-0).

Re: Ratings Fallout
Date: December 12, 2002 09:45AM

That analysis, while intricate and compelling, is ridiculous in December. (But thanks. The statistical obsessives let the slackers keep slacking.)

Posted by: Josh '99 (207.10.33.---)
Date: December 12, 2002 09:54AM

I think somebody was bored this morning. :-P

Thank God I went to Cornell
Date: December 12, 2002 09:59AM

So, seven Red fans were in attendance last night to my knowledge. The crowd was supposedly a sell-out and was about 50/50 Harvard/BC fans. The place was so damn quiet. Occassionally a small group would start chanting Let's go Harvard but beyond the occassion goal scored, you could have heard a pin drop. If we had chanted BU rejects it would have been heard around the rink! It was a decent game, much more even than the shots on goal would indicate. BC had a lot of shots go over the net. Still sad that we bought tickets two days before the game to a hocket game in Boston pitting two Boston teams against each other....

-J

RedAR or Crodge2k, drop me a note about the hockey if the offer is still good.

Posted by: Adam '01 (205.217.105.---)
Date: December 12, 2002 10:07AM

Did the seven of you at least yell "RED!" during the national anthem? Always good to plant the seed in the back of Harvard's mind that we're everywhere, they can't escape us, and we're soon to be decending in full force upon their humble home.

Date: December 12, 2002 10:29AM

Alas, we were too busy drinking and didn't arrive in time for the anthem....

Posted by: crodger1 (---)
Date: December 12, 2002 10:31AM

*cough* facetimers *cough*.

Posted by: chag (---)
Date: December 12, 2002 10:41AM

Did the seven of you at least yell "RED!" during the national anthem?

I'm afraid to do this Sunday at Maine v. Harvard.
Because I'll be outnumbered by several thousand fans?
NO.....because I fear the Maine fans, unable to distinguish that 'red' and 'crimson' are actually two different colors , will assume we are Harvard fans.
It says CORNELL on my sweatshirt you are thinking?
The Maine fans will just think this is a new brand of beer, since most of their sweatshirts are donning some such advertising.

OK, so I'm home from school on a SNOW day and have too much time on my hands.......;-)

Posted by: RedAR (---)
Date: December 12, 2002 11:34AM

crodge2k, first you call me "CrimsonAR." Now, a facetimer?? Man, you're asking for it!!!;-)

On a side note, I thought it was pretty funny how some BC fan's stopped by to talk with us, assuming that we were rooting for them. One BC guy said, "Man, you guys must REALLY hate Harvard." Of course we do, but when we told him that we actually were pulling for Harvard, they looked a bit confused (but then again, so were we, kind of).

Posted by: Will (---)
Date: December 12, 2002 02:27PM

I can just imagine the looks on your faces as you said that. Nevertheless, just know that it was all for the best of the ECAC and Cornell. Harvard winning is best for Cornell...does...not...compute! *head explodes* :-P

Posted by: marty (---)
Date: December 12, 2002 06:36PM

And now we're gonna do a number called swingin' the alphabet.

B A Bay
B E Bee
B I Bicky bye
B O Bo
Bicky bye boe
B U Boo
Bicky bye boe boo

Posted by: bigred apple (---)
Date: December 13, 2002 12:05AM

I think someone took the tonic out of your g&t.

Posted by: nyc94 (---)
Date: December 13, 2002 12:47PM

-
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2012 02:29PM by nyc94.

Posted by: Erica (---)
Date: December 13, 2002 01:24PM

They started selling them in October. They are long gone, I believe

Date: December 13, 2002 01:46PM

I was in charge of that event multiple times in the late '90s and every year Harvard's ticket office pulled something different. One year they were very slow in producing the tickets and in telling us how many we would get (We generally asked for 200). We didn't advertise until December because we didn't have the tickets. Anyway, yes, I know the event sells out quickly. It didn't stop people from calling me at 9 AM on the day of the game - more annoying on a Saturday than a Friday. :)

Posted by: Tom Pasniewski 98 (---)
Date: December 13, 2002 02:33PM

My spokeswoman, Erica, is correct Bill. This is my fourth game in a row at Lynah East running the event. Working with Harvard has become easier and we've been able to increase the number of tickets we buy every time until this game (projected increase in Crimson season ticket sales, um, right) and haven't had problems with delivery. Still we'll never be able to meet the demand that comes from members and others and we have been sold out for several weeks. We started earlier this year because we sensed the demand would be that much greater seeing as how the team ended up last year. The day of the game phone calls of desperation have just started earlier this year. So until Harvard breaks ground on a new 6,000 seat arena like their neighbors across town, this is the way it's going to be.

Date: December 13, 2002 03:56PM

How many seats did they give you this year? One of the years they (reluctantly) gave us 200 seats we were practically the only people there. The most full I ever saw the Bright Center was in December 1992 when we really sucked - we didn't even make the ECAC tournament that year - and we lost the game 6-1.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login