Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Weekend Not Yet a Sellout

Posted by ithacat 
Weekend Not Yet a Sellout
Posted by: ithacat (128.253.193.---)
Date: October 26, 2006 10:48AM

Tickets still available at the Ticket Office. Student season tickets are also still available, from what I heard.

Consective seats available at center ice -- and there's still people on a waiting list? Are these scattered comp seats?

LGR...

Re: Weekend Not Yet a Sellout
Posted by: billhoward (---.ziffdavis.com)
Date: October 26, 2006 11:10AM

Us alums are so impressed by the quality of the Web video and gametracker that there's simply no need anymore to drive to Ithaca and see the game in person.

Plus, no matter how old, the night before going back to Ithaca, we all have the same nightmare: Passing the traffic booth, campus security will run the car's license plate and we'll be stopped for a) unpaid tickets and b) a reminder there's still an American Government paper due.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (128.153.201.---)
Date: October 26, 2006 11:22AM

looks like the end is near...

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.ilr.cornell.edu)
Date: October 26, 2006 11:31AM

There were three or four games last season that they definitely didn't sell out but they reported that it did. Same with the year before.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: October 26, 2006 11:50AM

Tonight is a big night for Math prelims, so there'll be a lot of empty seats in the student section, regardless. I honestly don't know how to explain the fact that season tickets are still available, except that maybe the increase in price has driven some facetimer-types away.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.ilr.cornell.edu)
Date: October 26, 2006 11:53AM

ebilmes
I honestly don't know how to explain the fact that season tickets are still available, except that maybe the increase in price has driven some facetimer-types away.

By now, I think every single number has been taken off the waiting list. Making it so much easier to get numbers this year resulted in far less people actaully going through with the process of getting them. There were a lot more invalidated numbers this year than in the past.

Posted by: Beeeej (38.136.58.---)
Date: October 26, 2006 11:57AM

calgARI '07
There were three or four games last season that they definitely didn't sell out but they reported that it did. Same with the year before.

That didn't sell out, or that didn't fill the seats in the arena? There's a difference.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Drew042 (---.vet.cornell.edu)
Date: October 26, 2006 12:06PM

Of interest, ithacat is right in that the student ticket allotment did not sell out. While I was picking up tickets today and ran into one of the ticket office gurus they said that they still had reams of student tickets that were not sold. I was shocked and then tried to convince him that I was still a student...no such luck

Date: October 26, 2006 01:44PM

And there's still a waiting list for (full-priced) season tickets.doh

Perhaps, I should say it one more time...panic

Posted by: kaelistus (---.mak.com)
Date: October 26, 2006 02:30PM

Billhoward,

You know that happened to me.. I was told I had an unpaid parking ticket in Ithaca a whopping 5 years after I had graduated and moved away. At least I didn't have a government paper due....

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: October 26, 2006 04:58PM

Drew042
Of interest, ithacat is right in that the student ticket allotment did not sell out. While I was picking up tickets today and ran into one of the ticket office gurus they said that they still had reams of student tickets that were not sold. I was shocked and then tried to convince him that I was still a student...no such luck

OK, I'm totally lost....is there an allotment of student tickets for each game that are not season tickets or did the student season tickets not sell out???

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 26, 2006 06:56PM

When Ed Marinaro [football, class of '72] came back for a 10th or 15the reunon, he reportedly had unpaid tickets ... and an alum paid them for him. So legend has it. Actually, the Ithaca Journal may have noted it, too.

Posted by: Drew042 (---.vet.cornell.edu)
Date: October 27, 2006 09:17AM

The student season tickets did not sell out.

Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.tcsn.qwest.net)
Date: October 27, 2006 04:05PM

81-game soldout streak is dead. A damn shame.

Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: October 27, 2006 04:15PM

Ben Rocky 04

Yup. If you're going to schedule a non-conference game against a weak and unknown opponent on a weekday night and charge $18 for the tickets, expect to have tickets left.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: October 27, 2006 04:35PM

redhair34
Ben Rocky 04

Yup. If you're going to schedule a non-conference game against a weak and unknown opponent on a weekday night and charge $18 for the tickets, expect to have tickets left.
Or maybe we now know (based on this game and the fact that student season tickets didn't sell out) know that Lynah really didn't much need an expansion? It's a lot easier to sell $18 tickets when you know the place will be full.

Date: October 27, 2006 06:07PM

KeithK
redhair34
Ben Rocky 04

Or maybe we now know (based on this game and the fact that student season tickets didn't sell out) know that Lynah really didn't much need an expansion? It's a lot easier to sell $18 tickets when you know the place will be full.

There are still 400 people on the season ticket waiting list. I don't know what arcane methodology is being used in this process -- any guesses? I do know someone who called the ticket office on Thursday and asked to buy season seats and was told he had to go to the end of the list. And the place isn't sold out?

I don't think prices are the issue, at least not for non-student tickets.

Date: October 27, 2006 07:40PM

The fucking SA better get its shit together post-Tim Lim and get the undergrad tickets back to a resonable price.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2006 07:41PM by Ben Rocky 04.

Date: October 27, 2006 07:45PM

Ben Rocky 04
The fucking SA better get its shit together post-Tim Lim and get the undergrad tickets back to a resonable price.
I like the idea of student activity fees subsidizing student tickets to athletic events. Heck I was part of the crew that originally pushed the measure through for graduate students. But since when is it the Student Assembly's fault that ticket prices are "unreasonable"? Shouldn't you direct your ire towards Andy Noel and the Athletics Department staff who set ticket prices? (They'll ignore you, of course, but they're the ones at "fault".)

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: October 27, 2006 08:01PM

KeithK
Ben Rocky 04
I like the idea of student activity fees subsidizing student tickets to athletic events. Heck I was part of the crew that originally pushed the measure through for graduate students. But since when is it the Student Assembly's fault that ticket prices are "unreasonable"? Shouldn't you direct your ire towards Andy Noel and the Athletics Department staff who set ticket prices? (They'll ignore you, of course, but they're the ones at "fault".)

Considering how much the cost of Townie and Booster tickets has shot up, the AD seems like a good place to look for blame.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: October 27, 2006 09:47PM

The stupid freakin' SA dropped their subsidy for tickets, causing stupid freakin' Andy Noel to up the price for undergrad hockey tickets, and make all other athletic events have entrance fees for undergrads. I guess I'll just take any excuse to call the SA stupid, just as everyone on this forum (including me) will take any excuse to call Andy Noel stupid.

Cheap athletic events build a favorable impression of the school with the local community, and keep us alumni with the $$ (haha, sure I have $$) happy and giving. Andy Noel should realize this (or, on the day after the launch of the huge $$-raising program, someone from day hall should beat it into his thick skull) and fix the fucking problem. If wishes were horses....

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.mtholyoke.edu)
Date: October 27, 2006 11:46PM

Ben Rocky 04
The stupid freakin' SA dropped their subsidy for tickets, causing stupid freakin' Andy Noel to up the price for undergrad hockey tickets, and make all other athletic events have entrance fees for undergrads. I guess I'll just take any excuse to call the SA stupid, just as everyone on this forum (including me) will take any excuse to call Andy Noel stupid.

As I understood it, athletics didn't get their application in on time for an earlier deadline. Not that the SA doesn't share some blame, as I understand it they didn't *choose* to drop the subidy. Is that incorrect?

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: October 28, 2006 12:02AM

Athletics should set a cutoff date for students to pick up season tickets and then sell what remains to the general public/students as day-of-game seats. They'd make more money doing that anyway, and at least some townies who've been looking for seats can enjoy the games.

Posted by: bandrews37 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 28, 2006 02:02AM

Saturday's game is sold out. Blame not the incompetant AD, but the BS rules that require the department to hold aside X number of tickets for visiting schools, only to have them return X - 25 of the tickets they were alotted.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 28, 2006 02:23AM

bandrews37
Saturday's game is sold out. Blame not the incompetant AD, but the BS rules that require the department to hold aside X number of tickets for visiting schools, only to have them return X - 25 of the tickets they were alotted.
It's tough to blame those rules when the returned tickets get sold within a day for the vast majority of games.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: October 28, 2006 02:54AM

Ben Rocky 04
The stupid freakin' SA dropped their subsidy for tickets, causing stupid freakin' Andy Noel to up the price for undergrad hockey tickets, and make all other athletic events have entrance fees for undergrads.
Before the SA started putting up activity fee money hockey tickets were more expensive and other sports charged a fee. In this case the AD was just going back to the earlier system.

I don't disagree with you about sporting events have positive externalities. We're not talking about a pro sports team that really only cares about profit. But the AD is supposed to be relatively self-supporting so revenue has to be a priority. Replacing one student sourced revenue stream (the activty fee) with another (ticket prices) isn't that unreasonable.

I guess I'll just take any excuse to call the SA stupid, just as everyone on this forum (including me) will take any excuse to call Andy Noel stupid.
That I can agree with. The SA has pretty much always been a useless organization worthy of being called stupid.

Posted by: saff678 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: October 28, 2006 11:28AM

But I think it's important to note that for those of us who are used to the system where the SA subsidizes the sporting events, but isn't this year, we are paying the same student activities fee as last year, but not getting the same benefit. Sure, it's just part of the system that some clubs get money and some dont, and some clubs are better attended than others. But still, athletics is probably one of the best organizations for the SA to subsidize if they want to reach a large population of students.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: October 28, 2006 11:38AM

saff678
But I think it's important to note that for those of us who are used to the system where the SA subsidizes the sporting events, but isn't this year, we are paying the same student activities fee as last year, but not getting the same benefit. Sure, it's just part of the system that some clubs get money and some dont, and some clubs are better attended than others. But still, athletics is probably one of the best organizations for the SA to subsidize if they want to reach a large population of students.
Maybe this is wrongheaded of me, but something that really pissed me off when I had dealings with the SA and the SAFC was that Cornell Bhangra was always the organization that got the most funding. Not club sports, not the marching band or the pep band, not the student research organizations or outreach clubs that perform necessary services for the university... Bhangra. What?

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: October 28, 2006 11:40AM

Section A Banshee
Maybe this is wrongheaded of me, but something that really pissed me off when I had dealings with the SA and the SAFC was that Cornell Bhangra was always the organization that got the most funding. Not club sports, not the marching band or the pep band, not the student research organizations or outreach clubs that perform necessary services for the university... Bhangra. What?

I liked Bhangra, but...really? How odd.

Posted by: Omie (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 28, 2006 11:41AM

You should quit blaming the SA for ticket prices.
1. Athletics didn't turn in their application on time, period. The SA even tried to get them to turn it in at the beginning of the Fall to include them but Athletics slacked and gave their info post-student activy fee being set and being approved by the trustees.
2. I have many many friends who have gotten hockey tickets before and the reason they didn't this year is because of the price. $260 is way too much for many of us, and although some of us will look for that kind of money others can't period and that does not make them any less faithful just poor lynah faithful.
3. Sadly there is also a lot of people going around saying the team sucks this year, blah, blah. I correct them whenever I can but that is partly the reason why season tickets didn't sell out.
4. Going back to Athletics. It is on the red fiscally and took to the opportunity of them loosing byline funding (their own fault) to impose prices and increade student season ticket by 60%! Andy Noel's fiscal irresponsability is all their is to blame.
5. It is also wrong to say that students are seeing the benefit og the activity fee now that athletics is not byline funded because now or ridiculously large number of student organizations are getting more money (closer to what they ask to) from before when they would get alloted a money and then there was a percentage set to cut off of what was alloted because there was not enough money. The problem is not the activity fee raising is that there are way too many organizations a lot of them with overlapping interests.

PS I hate Tim Lim as much as anyone, but the ticket prices is not the SA's fault.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2006 11:45AM by Omie.

Date: October 28, 2006 11:50AM

I think bhangra kicks serious ass, and they preform at a lot of events off campus, and out of NYS even, that put our school's name in the limelight. I'm all about clubs getting money if they do useful things, from sports to politics to religious groups to performing arts. Now, the three poetry magazines with a circulation of 75...?

Date: October 28, 2006 11:56AM

Can't we just blame the SA? I don't care about logic, they're a bunch of pompous ass hole and that makes it much more fun.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 28, 2006 11:58AM

Ben Rocky 04
Can't we just blame the SA? I don't care about logic, they're a bunch of pompous ass hole and that makes it much more fun.

I think there's plenty of blame to dish out. Everyone gets a piece!

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 28, 2006 12:33PM

Ben Rocky 04
You're a pompous asshole, but you don't see us blaming you, do you? :-P

Date: October 28, 2006 01:41PM

Omie
2. I have many many friends who have gotten hockey tickets before and the reason they didn't this year is because of the price. $260 is way too much for many of us, and although some of us will look for that kind of money others can't period and that does not make them any less faithful just poor lynah faithful.
No offense intended, but it does mean you are somewhat less faithful. As Kyle has said many times before, if hockey tickets are a priority you would find a way to make up for the difference. Cut out some beers on the weekend or a movie or two, get a job, whatever. It's simple economics.

I'm not saying you're not a fan. Just don't kid yourself. It's not like tickets are $100 per game.

Date: October 28, 2006 01:51PM

Cornell Bhangra was always the organization that got the most funding.
What is Bhangra?

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: October 28, 2006 02:00PM

KeithK

What is Bhangra?

In a nutshell, Indian dance, with a lot of drums, loud music, and flashy costumes. It seemed very athletic, especially when people were on others' shoulders. Very cool to watch.

Posted by: Rich S (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 28, 2006 02:15PM

It's those "BS rules" you mention that allow you to buy tix to ECAC road games at Lynah.

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 28, 2006 02:16PM

bandrews37

That part's hard to get around, though that should usually apply to O seating.

Glad to hear the game's sold out -- let's hope it's not all those dastardly Tiger fans. thud

I just don't think Cornell's ticket prices are all that unreasonable, though they're starting to get close. Looking around they're the most expensive in the Ivy League, yet aren't too bad when compared to some of the other great programs in the country.

Yale 9-11
Princeton 9-12
Brown 10
Harvard 15-18
Denver 17-24
Cornell 18-21
Wisconsin 18-22 (18 gets you in the 3rd level)
BU 20
Michigan 22-28
North Dakota 22.50 (that seems pretty cheap for that building)
Minnesota 27 (that's for SRO)

Note: That was a real quick look so some of my numbers might be off. I couldn't find Dartmouth's prices on their website.

Student prices are another thing. Michigan fans are bitching about the same thing. Their student seats didn't sell out & there's talk that the only game that'll sell out this year will be Michigan State. Maybe Athletics priced student tickets out-of-market and, if so, they'll need to correct that for next year. Non-student tickets, of course, are another thing. As long as there's a waiting list, I'll just... bang

Date: October 28, 2006 02:17PM

Liz '05
KeithK

What is Bhangra?

In a nutshell, Indian dance, with a lot of drums, loud music, and flashy costumes. It seemed very athletic, especially when people were on others' shoulders. Very cool to watch.

How much are season tickets?

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 28, 2006 02:37PM

ithacat
Liz '05
KeithK

What is Bhangra?

How much are season tickets?

Three goats and a chicken. (I keed, I keed...)

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 28, 2006 02:40PM

Omie
3. Sadly there is also a lot of people going around saying the team sucks this year, blah, blah. I correct them whenever I can but that is partly the reason why season tickets didn't sell out.

Well good then. These are the people we don't want stealing tickets from legitimate fans who actually know what's going on and don't just say the team sucks because its the in-thing to do.

The ticket prices can help weed out some people who would do it just because it's cheap and don't want to make sacrifices, but then there are the fans who legitimately can't afford it, so it's only a partial help.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Cornell Bhangra
Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 28, 2006 03:04PM

[www.rso.cornell.edu]
It's a slow loader.

Date: October 28, 2006 03:30PM

Your economics argument is so black and white many students are here because of financial aid and already have jobs to help pay for tuition while reducing the debt they will come out of college. You can be a great fan but if you work already to finance you education and need time to keep your studies up in many occasions there just simply enough time to fit in another job.

Basically your argument amounts to you are only a good fan if you can afford it or are willing to sacrifice your studies, which simply seems like BS to me.

Posted by: scannon (205.232.75.---)
Date: October 28, 2006 03:48PM

It is also possible to be a good fan and not have season tickets. If someone is a fan but can't afford tickets no matter what they do then maybe they have to be a good fan who only attends some games. It kinda sucks but sometimes that's how it goes.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 28, 2006 04:55PM

ithacat
Yale 9-11
Princeton 9-12
Brown 10
Harvard 15-18
Denver 17-24
Cornell 18-21
Wisconsin 18-22 (18 gets you in the 3rd level)
BU 20
Michigan 22-28
North Dakota 22.50 (that seems pretty cheap for that building)
Minnesota 27 (that's for SRO)

I'd be interested in seeing that list compared with a list of how much each school spends on athletics, and on hockey specifically. (Then again, not so interested that I'm going to spend time on it ;) ). Of the schools you listed, Denver is the only one cheaper than Cornell which offers athletic scholarships, for instance. What I'm getting at is that if Wisconsin spends twice as much money as Cornell does, and charges the same, then that means Cornell's actually being relatively greedy, which nudges them closer to that line of unreasonableness.

Also, I think I've said it before, but I'll say it now just in case: Cornell is not a business! They shouldn't be held accountable to stockholders, they should be held accountable to their community. If they're hiking up ticket prices just so that Andy Noel can get a new car, or because the University won't give Athletics money because it feels each department needs to be self-sustaining, then I think that's wrong. They should be interested less in profit and more in providing a good experience. And for those who would argue pure economics, I'll fire back that pissing people off isn't a great way to get them donating money. Not that I'll ever strike it rich, but if I did, I'd definitely be thinking about this kind of bullshit if Cornell came asking me for my money.

Posted by: Robb (---.losaca.adelphia.net)
Date: October 28, 2006 06:00PM

ftyuv
What I'm getting at is that if Wisconsin spends twice as much money as Cornell does, and charges the same, then that means Cornell's actually being relatively greedy, which nudges them closer to that line of unreasonableness.

Don't forget that Wisco's rink holds almost 3x as many as ours (meaning that both their expenses AND revenues are higher), so they may actually turn a greater profit with the same ticket prices - so who's greedier?

Date: October 28, 2006 07:14PM

Omie
Your economics argument is so black and white many students are here because of financial aid and already have jobs to help pay for tuition while reducing the debt they will come out of college. You can be a great fan but if you work already to finance you education and need time to keep your studies up in many occasions there just simply enough time to fit in another job.

Basically your argument amounts to you are only a good fan if you can afford it or are willing to sacrifice your studies, which simply seems like BS to me.
I'm just saying that you've demonstrated through your choices that Cornell hockey isn't a priority. OK, I can accept that there are probably some people on campus that are stretched so thin that they can't afford hockey tickets even though they desperately want to go. I never met anyone of this sort, but I'm sure there are a few. These people probably weren't going when tickets cost $150 though either. It's really not that hard to find $100 extra over the course of a season if tickets are a priority. That's $5 per week, which is a few movies, a few sodas, a few beers sacrificed.

Don't read too much into this as a value judgement. I'm not saying that I'm better than you because I would've paid the extra money even if I had to skimp and save elsewhere. I'm just saying that as prices increase you find out how much of a priority attending Cornell hockey games is to each fan. Everyone has their limiting "price". I would love to go to more games but the $300/game price (counting airfare, etc.) is too high under most circumstances.

By the way, I was on financial aid at Cornell too. I had loans. If an extra $100 of loans is going to kill you after graduation then you need to change your major :-P. (OK, now I'm just being snarky.)

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 28, 2006 07:22PM

KeithK
Ben Rocky 04
The stupid freakin' SA dropped their subsidy for tickets, causing stupid freakin' Andy Noel to up the price for undergrad hockey tickets, and make all other athletic events have entrance fees for undergrads.
Before the SA started putting up activity fee money hockey tickets were more expensive and other sports charged a fee. In this case the AD was just going back to the earlier system.

I don't disagree with you about sporting events have positive externalities. We're not talking about a pro sports team that really only cares about profit. But the AD is supposed to be relatively self-supporting so revenue has to be a priority. Replacing one student sourced revenue stream (the activty fee) with another (ticket prices) isn't that unreasonable.

I guess I'll just take any excuse to call the SA stupid, just as everyone on this forum (including me) will take any excuse to call Andy Noel stupid.
That I can agree with. The SA has pretty much always been a useless organization worthy of being called stupid.

Here's something Cornellians of all decades can find agreement on: the usefulness of the SA (the Cornell one, not the German outfit) and its differently named predecessors vis a vis the athletics department. In general, there has been something of an arms-length mutual distaste of each for the other and if there's a way to screw the athletics department, student government will find a way. If the SA has done dumb things, the athletics department has done and said some dopey things, too (beyond failing to file on time). One former dean of athletics said of the SA or its predecessor, "It's unfair when your future is being determined by 18- and 19-year-olds." Referring of course to the SA kidz, not to Troy Davenport or Nathan Ford or Blake Gallagher or David LeNeveu or ...

Did Kafka write some of the script here: Season tickets are officially not available but there are hundreds of empty seats and beyond that some season ticket allotments haven't sold? The people who scripted this, thank goodness it's Lynah they're messing up, not the U.S. Congress or our supply to the troops in Iraq. Whether they should be in Iraq or not, I think they ought to have all the body armor and fragmentation grenades they ask for until we bring them home. "Sorry, Baker Company, you've used your allotment of TOW missiles as of the 25th, so you'll have to find a workaround until the 1st rolls around. Maybe we'll have some individual launchers available day of combat if you line up outside. Bring ID and no more than two per person."

Date: October 29, 2006 02:35AM

First problem with all of your argument is that you are making judgements on me LOL

Come meet me on Section D row 7 whistle

I think that the problem is that you are saying that if someone is not willing to dish out an extra $100 (which they need on the spot not over the year) he/she is not a fan. They are fans just fans that can't pay that amount.

Date: October 29, 2006 09:22AM

ftyuv
And for those who would argue pure economics, I'll fire back that pissing people off isn't a great way to get them donating money. Not that I'll ever strike it rich, but if I did, I'd definitely be thinking about this kind of bullshit if Cornell came asking me for my money.

This was really just throwing the noodles against the wall and seeing what sticks...not that I ever did that.

Maybe if/when you strick it rich you can take a different approach. Give them money and stipulate how it's to be used. Help underwrite ticket prices, if you want. You'd be awfully popular.

I believe Peyton Manning recently gave a million to UTenn & it can only be used to improve the football stadium's wow-factor. I imagine Steve Belkin could build Cornell an amazing new hockey arena if he wanted to do so.

Date: October 29, 2006 02:25PM

ithacat
ftyuv
And for those who would argue pure economics, I'll fire back that pissing people off isn't a great way to get them donating money. Not that I'll ever strike it rich, but if I did, I'd definitely be thinking about this kind of bullshit if Cornell came asking me for my money.

This was really just throwing the noodles against the wall and seeing what sticks...not that I ever did that.

Maybe if/when you strike it rich you can take a different approach. Give them money and stipulate how it's to be used. Help underwrite ticket prices, if you want. You'd be awfully popular.

Well, I'd be more likely to do that if the University hadn't pissed me off time and again. If it's true that money is the only thing the University listens to, then as far as I'm concerned, they're just a corporation. That's fine, but I've never donated money to Honda -- if Cornell wants my handouts, they're going to have to convince me they're more than a for-profit corp. As it stands, they haven't convinced me of that, so I feel no obligation to give them a dime more than the agreed-upon price for the agreed-upon services they provided.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 29, 2006 02:33PM

ftyuv
ithacat
ftyuv

Maybe if/when you strike it rich you can take a different approach. Give them money and stipulate how it's to be used. Help underwrite ticket prices, if you want. You'd be awfully popular.

Well, I'd be more likely to do that if the University hadn't pissed me off time and again. If it's true that money is the only thing the University listens to, then as far as I'm concerned, they're just a corporation. That's fine, but I've never donated money to Honda -- if Cornell wants my handouts, they're going to have to convince me they're more than a for-profit corp. As it stands, they haven't convinced me of that, so I feel no obligation to give them a dime more than the agreed-upon price for the agreed-upon services they provided.

I don't want to pick a fight but if the athletics department's choice of technology partner is the deciding factor in whether you make a contribution to an academic institution. . . well, maybe you need to rethink this. Make a gift and direct it to something better like the library or the college or department you received your degree from or financial aid.

Date: October 29, 2006 03:12PM

nyc94
ftyuv
ithacat

I don't want to pick a fight but if the athletics department's choice of technology partner is the deciding factor in whether you make a contribution to an academic institution. . . well, maybe you need to rethink this. Make a gift and direct it to something better like the library or the college or department you received your degree from or financial aid.

Well first, just to make it clear, this isn't about CSTV. My guess is that CSTV has Cornell by the balls, so I blame what I understand is a craptacular product on CSTV, not Cornell. My issue with CU Athletics is stupid stuff like "forgetting" to file for SAFC funds and therefore having to charge for other athletic events, or hiking up ticket prices so outrageously in one year. My issues with the University as a whole are broader, but can mostly be tied with the common theme of the administration not caring what its students, faculty or city members think.

As for donating to the library or other academic departments, with due respect to the few really good profs I had, I consider most of my academics at Cornell pretty much worthless. The most engaging and informative class I took in my college career was during a study abroad program. You could of course make the argument that if I'm displeased with the University, I should help make it better. At this point, though, I'm much more likely to help shore up my state's public university, so that future generations will be more likely to go there instead of Cornell or other private schools.

Anyway, to underscore what I meant to be my original argument: Cornell needs to decide whether it's a corporation or not. If it isn't, it shouldn't try to hike tickets prices up to whatever the market will bear. If it is, it shouldn't expect me to give it extra money.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 29, 2006 04:14PM

In the years the student activity fee subsidized athletic tickets did they hike the fee or did the student clubs get far less money?

Posted by: gatitita '05 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 29, 2006 04:30PM

join the band. or run around on the ice collecting newspaper.

Date: October 29, 2006 05:30PM

ftyuv

It's unfortunate you've had such a disappointing experience at Cornell. It sounds like you could have saved yourself a lot of money and exasperation if you had gone to one of NY's fine public schools (other than its land-grant).

As for Honda, their hockey team sucks and their diplomas are worthless (or so I'm told). ;-)

Date: October 29, 2006 05:32PM

Well, I'm a MA resident, but yeah...

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 29, 2006 05:53PM

ftyuv
Well, I'm a MA resident, but yeah...

Think of it this way. You could have gone to UMass-Lowell, who hasn't been to the NCAAs since 1996, or you could have gone to UMass-Amherst, who has never been to the NCAAs at all.

Say what you will about Cornell. At least we get to go to the big dance on a regular basis. :-D

Date: October 29, 2006 05:55PM

Maybe I'll donate my millions to UMass Boston, stipulating that they change their colors to red and white and spend at least 95% of my donation on hockey :D

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: October 29, 2006 11:14PM

Ben Rocky 04
I think bhangra kicks serious ass, and they preform at a lot of events off campus, and out of NYS even, that put our school's name in the limelight. ...?

That's interesting because when I was dealing with the SAFC they were reluctant to fund the band for anything that occurred off campus. The line was always that the money had to go to something the whole community could enjoy and the Cornell@Brown hockey game didn't count. Of course paying for Rugby Team C to travel to a club tournament is clearly enjoyable by the whole community. rolleyes

Date: October 30, 2006 11:38AM

I never said the SAFC made sense.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: October 30, 2006 12:24PM

Ben Rocky 04
I never said the SAFC made sense.

I would certainly never accuse someone of that.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: October 30, 2006 12:48PM

ithacat
I believe Peyton Manning recently gave a million to UTenn & it can only be used to improve the football stadium's wow-factor. I imagine Steve Belkin could build Cornell an amazing new hockey arena if he wanted to do so.
"wow-factor"?

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: October 31, 2006 11:44AM

KeithK
I'm just saying that you've demonstrated through your choices that Cornell hockey isn't a priority.
So obviously the biggest Ranger fan in New York is... JP Morgan!

Date: October 31, 2006 12:11PM

ugarte
KeithK
I'm just saying that you've demonstrated through your choices that Cornell hockey isn't a priority.
Oh, shut up!

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: October 31, 2006 01:01PM

KeithK
ugarte
KeithK
Oh, shut up!
That's exactly the sort of response I would expect from the mature people on this forum. rolleyes

(Happy Halloween!)

Date: October 31, 2006 11:09PM

Josh '99
ithacat
"wow-factor"?

You know, things that make a recruit's jaw drop and uncontrollably utter "wow...wow...wow..." This usually happens long before watching an actual game in the stadium, and often results in a recruit committing on the spot.

WwowW

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login