Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell's mediocre new opponents - good for hockey?

Posted by billhoward 
Cornell's mediocre new opponents - good for hockey?
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 26, 2006 09:07PM

Sheesh, we're playing a bunch of no-name, talent-lite schools (even if some of them might beat us this year or next). We need to be playing Michigan or Michigan State again for ratings points. However ... if you take the longer term view, our playing Robert Morris, Quinnipiac, RIT, Niagara, St. Bonaventure (um, maybe not), Sacred Heart is going to help build up the standing of CT shoreline / New York / PA / eastern Ohio teams.

Re: Cornell's mediocre new opponents - good for hockey?
Posted by: upperdeck (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 26, 2006 09:10PM

as young as this team is, i think its more important to build slow then worry about ratings pts.. if they dont finish top 2-3 in the league it doesnt matter anyway and if they do then it probably wont matter.. even in good yrs it often comes down to winning the playoff to make sure you get in..

Date: October 26, 2006 09:14PM

I was thinking philosophically about eastern hockey in general rather than how Cornell fares in particular this season. Noblesse oblige, perhaps. We should do all we can so that over the next decade, over our lifetimes, hockey played by schools within an hour of Lake Ontario or Lake Erie or Joe Namath's hometime will be the equals of the WCHA or CCA or the Beanpot region. It could happen.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: October 27, 2006 12:03PM

Yes! Coach Schafer should be forced to resign[/q] if he doesn't drag Red Berenson to grovel atthe Church of Lynah!!! Blah, blah, blah...

Edit: bah
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2006 02:50PM by KeithK.

Posted by: RichH (216.195.201.---)
Date: October 27, 2006 02:27PM

billhoward
Sheesh, we're playing a bunch of no-name, talent-lite schools (even if some of them might beat us this year or next). We need to be playing Michigan or Michigan State again for ratings points.

Weren't you around for this bitch session when the schedule came out in the spring bill? Look...wouldn't we love to load up our non-conference schedule with Minnesota, Wisconsin, Denver, and Michigan every year? It just doesn't work like that. Michigan may as well just make an 80-game schedule (with some speciall NCAA exemption "because they're Michigan";) if they played all the teams that wanted to play them.

The fact is that we're that Michigan-like team for the RMUs and RITs of the world. We usually get one Mich St., or OSU, or BU on the schedule each year, plus whatever we get from the FL tournament. This year we don't have that one "big 4" OOC weekend. Oh well. In FL, we have a shot at seeing a weekend to play games vs. UNH and Maine.

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: October 27, 2006 02:51PM

RichH
billhoward
Sheesh, we're playing a bunch of no-name, talent-lite schools (even if some of them might beat us this year or next). We need to be playing Michigan or Michigan State again for ratings points.

Weren't you around for this bitch session when the schedule came out in the spring bill? Look...wouldn't we love to load up our non-conference schedule with Minnesota, Wisconsin, Denver, and Michigan every year? It just doesn't work like that. Michigan may as well just make an 80-game schedule (with some speciall NCAA exemption "because they're Michigan";) if they played all the teams that wanted to play them.

The fact is that we're that Michigan-like team for the RMUs and RITs of the world. We usually get one Mich St., or OSU, or BU on the schedule each year, plus whatever we get from the FL tournament. This year we don't have that one "big 4" OOC weekend. Oh well. In FL, we have a shot at seeing a weekend to play games vs. UNH and Maine.

Seems to me though if we beat UNH we'd want to play WMU since we already have the CO-OP win vs HE and we'd want a CO-OP win against CCHA.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: Rita (---.agry.purdue.edu)
Date: October 27, 2006 03:15PM

French Rage
RichH
billhoward

Seems to me though if we beat UNH we'd want to play WMU since we already have the CO-OP win vs HE and we'd want a CO-OP win against CCHA.

I saw last Saturday night's Maine v. UND game and Maine looked very sharp, #11 Levelier (sp) in particular. Maine took both games at Grand Forks. If we play Maine in Florida would that give us our link to the WCHA. I know they revised some of the formulas for determining RPI this year, thus how would a win or a loss against Maine affect us?

I know it is early in the season, and may be irrelevant by the time March comes around, but I always have a hard time getting my head around all the formulas, common opponents etc that go into the final seedings. I just know watching that game I was very impressed with Maine, and got a bit scared thinking of our young D going up against their very poised forwards.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: October 27, 2006 03:21PM

French Rage
Worrying in October about the specific PWR implications of Christmas tournament games seems a little excessive...

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: October 27, 2006 03:52PM

KeithK
French Rage
Worrying in October about the specific PWR implications of Christmas tournament games seems a little excessive...

Believe me, I realize that, but it's still fun to do.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Date: October 27, 2006 08:15PM

I want to have it all: a home-and-home series with Michigan (in which we go 1-0-1) plus some local OOC weakling we wallop handily but that still makes them feel good and improves the caliber of Great Lakes (Eastern Region) hockey.

Given the two unexpected losses of the defensemen (I don't think McKee's loss was unexpected or unknown) and the graduation of Moulson and the slew of freshmen, it's probably good this is not the year we start out with a Michigan State or BU.

What I'd rather not do is load up our schedule with Minnesota at Minnesota in March one year, then Wisconisin in Wisconsin the next March.

Posted by: bandrews37 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 28, 2006 02:04AM

Yet somehow strangely totally within the realm of possibilty from this bunch of morons.....

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: October 28, 2006 02:47AM

billhoward
What I'd rather not do is load up our schedule with Minnesota at Minnesota in March one year, then Wisconisin in Wisconsin the next March.
Much better to load up our schedules with Wisconsin and minnesota every April.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: October 28, 2006 03:43AM

KeithK
billhoward
Much better to load up our schedules with Wisconsin and Holy Cross every April.

Fixed your post.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (128.153.201.---)
Date: October 28, 2006 07:54AM

bandrews37
Yet somehow strangely totally within the realm of possibilty from this bunch of morons.....

you really are showing your intelligence...

Posted by: CKinsland (---.dsl1.nor.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 28, 2006 09:44AM

Regarding our weak OOC schedule, and mirroring sentiments elsewhere in this thread[www.theithacajournal.com]:

Ithaca Journal (Schafer)
“You have a responsibility to the college game in general,” Schafer said. “You have a responsibility to play against the Robert Morris' and the RIT's. They need someone to play against to legitimitize their program. They are good opponents. You have to put a blend together.”

Edit: inattention to spelling (even with the spelling guide) fixed.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2006 12:55PM by CKinsland.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: October 28, 2006 11:35AM

CKinsland
Regarding our weak OOC schedule, and mirroring sentiments elsewhere in this thread[www.theithacajournal.com]:

Ithaca Journal (Shafer)
“You have a responsibility to the college game in general,” Schafer said. “You have a responsibility to play against the Robert Morris' and the RIT's. They need someone to play against to legitimitize their program. They are good opponents. You have to put a blend together.”
The Ithaca Journal needs to watch their apostrophes if they're going to get cited around these parts.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 28, 2006 12:19PM

Section A Banshee
CKinsland

Ithaca Journal (Shafer)
The Ithaca Journal needs to watch their apostrophes if they're going to get cited around these parts.

I was about to go apeshit about that very thing.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 28, 2006 12:40PM

CKinsland

Ithaca Journal (Shafer)
S-C-H-A-F-E-R.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 28, 2006 12:41PM

RichH
KeithK
billhoward

Fixed your post.
You know, if we're playing in April, I don't really care who it's against. drunk

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 28, 2006 12:44PM

Josh '99
RichH
KeithK
billhoward

Fixed your post.
You know, if we're winning in April, I don't really care who it's against. drunk

Fixed your post. :-D

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: October 28, 2006 01:45PM

CKinsland

Ithaca Journal (Shafer)
I'm sure Schafer would like to play fewer games against AH and CHA tteams. If he could load up the schedule with Michigans and North Dakotas I bet he would. While there is some value in "giving back to the game" and Schafer probably does think that to a degree, a quote like this strikes me as rationalization. He's got scheduling constraints, he lives with them and he makes the best of it.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 28, 2006 02:37PM

Will
Josh '99
RichH
KeithK
billhoward

Fixed your post.
You know, if we're winning in April, I don't really care who it's against. drunk

Fixed your post. :-D
I thought Cornell students/alums are also supposed to fix grammar errors. Shouldn't it be "whom"? innocent

Date: October 28, 2006 07:26PM

CKinsland

Ithaca Journal (Shafer)

Hey, go easy! It's a newspaper, not English majors. And Microsoft Word is more hopeless than us ink-stained wretches when it comes to placing apostrophes properly (or properly placing smart aopostrophes, as in Topher Scott '08).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login