Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Season ahead

Posted by 87 
Season ahead
Posted by: 87 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 24, 2006 04:26PM

I think the freshmen are going to take cornell back to the frozen four maybe not this year but within the time they are at cornell,what do you think.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2006 05:55PM by 87.

Re: Season ahead
Posted by: Beeeej (38.136.58.---)
Date: October 24, 2006 04:38PM

I think I'd like to see us play a few games before I form an opinion. But overall, based on Schafer's tenure thus far and the raw talent he's got on the team right now, it would not surprise me if we do well enough to get back to the Frozen Four sometime in the next four seasons. I don't think that's a stretch of the imagination at all.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: October 24, 2006 05:31PM

I hope Schafer starts Davenport in goal he looks like a skilled goalie,Skrivens looks uncomfortible in net,I heard he was hurt much of last season he must not have got his legs back,on offence I think we are much faster and as Sawada proved they are willing to dish out hits and block shots ,in transition they seem to be alot faster,defensive (the best def is a good off)and we have schafer.What we were lacking last year is finaly here!!

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: October 24, 2006 07:17PM

What we were lacking last year is finaly here!!

We just gotta hope what we had last year isnt lacking this year. Hopefully Schafer can continue to do his thing.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: Omie (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 24, 2006 09:47PM

I dunno about the goalies from the red-white and the game vs York it is really hard to form an opinion. I like Scrivens more although he does give nervous breakdowns when he separates from the net.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 24, 2006 10:14PM

Omie
I dunno about the goalies from the red-white and the game vs York it is really hard to form an opinion. I like Scrivens more although he does give nervous breakdowns when he separates from the net.

I could be mistaken by I think it was Eddy Skazyk in 93 and 94 who would be off in the corner looking for loose pucks while the entire opposing team was in the offensive zone.

Date: October 25, 2006 07:30AM

Davenport has not even let up a goal agianst not in red white or york let him play.

Posted by: Beeeej (38.136.58.---)
Date: October 25, 2006 09:05AM

That's what, about a whopping 45 or 50 minutes of shutout hockey for Davenport? Spanning a scrimmage against his own team, including walk-ons - and an exhibition game against a bunch of scrubs not good enough for major juniors? I wouldn't go laminating Scrivens's name on the end of the bench just yet.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: BCrespi (209.191.175.---)
Date: October 25, 2006 12:12PM

I hope Schafer starts Davenport in goal he looks like a skilled goalie,Skrivens looks uncomfortible in net,I heard he was hurt much of last season he must not have got his legs back,on offence I think we are much faster and as Sawada proved they are willing to dish out hits and block shots ,in transition they seem to be alot faster,defensive (the best def is a good off)and we have schafer.What we were lacking last year is finaly here!!

87, please use a period, I'm incredibly out of breath, just sitting here at my desk!

Posted by: pfm10 (---.pg.com)
Date: October 25, 2006 12:50PM

BCrespi

87, please use a period, I'm incredibly out of breath, just sitting here at my desk!

How would just one period have made that any less exhausting?

Posted by: ebilmes (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: October 25, 2006 01:01PM

I think the consensus going into the season was that Davenport would start. Scrivens is only a freshman and has time to develop. Like Beeej said, we haven't seen enough to tell how good Davenport is, but I'd rather have had him not give up a goal at this point than have gotten killed in Red/White and against York.

Posted by: RichH (216.195.201.---)
Date: October 25, 2006 04:09PM

ebilmes
I think the consensus going into the season was that Davenport would start. Scrivens is only a freshman and has time to develop. Like Beeej said, we haven't seen enough to tell how good Davenport is, but I'd rather have had him not give up a goal at this point than have gotten killed in Red/White and against York.

Just my gut feelings:

Davenport enters the season as the clear #1. I think that coach will give Scrivens (or Dileo?) a start vs. a weak opponent (RMU, RIT, WSU) to see what he has. If that performance is up to snuff, I'm guessing we could see a lopsided platoon, where the #2 gets every 3rd game or so, depedning on the opponent and game importance...just to keep Davenport fresher.

Of course, you never know...Davenport could pull a McKee and have 5 shutouts by Thanksgiving, grabbing 100% of the playing time through the winter. Or pull a Todd Marr and break something early.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: October 25, 2006 05:07PM

I wouldn't mind seeing Scrivens (or DiLeo) get some time, but Schafer has stated in the past that he always puts his best players out for every game, and I've never seen him stray from that philosophy. Whichever goalie he feels is the best is likely to start every game, and that, I imagine, is based on what he sees in practice. So short of an injury or some drastic change in practice performance, I suspect whomever starts tomorrow will be in there for the duration.

Posted by: Omie (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 25, 2006 06:20PM

I agree, but I don't think that will be determined by tomorrow prolly the next 2-3 weeks though (in time for Sucks and Dartmouth).

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: October 25, 2006 06:28PM

CowbellGuy
I wouldn't mind seeing Scrivens (or DiLeo) get some time, but Schafer has stated in the past that he always puts his best players out for every game, and I've never seen him stray from that philosophy. Whichever goalie he feels is the best is likely to start every game, and that, I imagine, is based on what he sees in practice. So short of an injury or some drastic change in practice performance, I suspect whomever starts tomorrow will be in there for the duration.
Except that Schafer has gone with goalie rotations in a number of previous seasons, at least until february. If Davenport and Scrivens are playing at somewhat similar levels I'd expect to see both get playing time in the first half. Having not seen any on ice action I can't make a good guess.

Personally I'd rather see both guys play early and get some game experience. That would give better protection against injury down the road. (Well, my first choice is to have one goalie run off 37 shutouts but I'm trying to be realistic.)

Date: October 25, 2006 08:57PM

SO how about the freshmen,Greening looks like a star.He reminds me alot of sawada.I think will see him contribute both offensively and defensively.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: October 25, 2006 10:23PM

SO how about the freshmen,Greening looks like a star.He reminds me alot of sawada.I think will see him contribute both offensively and defensively.

Are you only basing this on Red/White and York, or have you seen him play other times? Just a little to early to predict future stars, IMO.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: October 26, 2006 01:39AM

ebilmes

Are you only basing this on Red/White and York, or have you seen him play other times? Just a little to early to predict future stars, IMO.

Two words: Jiri Kloboucek

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: October 26, 2006 04:52AM

I remember jiri what was that 91-92.Greening was on the top of the list in the nation for incoming freshman (Impact players).One look is all I need to agree. He will be great.

Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: October 26, 2006 12:29PM

I don't think anybody has mentioned it yet, but today's edition of the Ithaca Journal www.theithacajournal.com has a number of articles previewing the upcoming season.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.public.cornell.edu)
Date: October 26, 2006 01:06PM

redhair34
I don't think anybody has mentioned it yet, but today's edition of the Ithaca Journal www.theithacajournal.com has a number of articles previewing the upcoming season.

I also wrote a two-part season preview. Age said it would be up today.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login