Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Milo

Posted by WillCMJr 
Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Milo
Posted by: WillCMJr (---.bing.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 21, 2007 12:49PM

The defections topic is getting stale. So how does this affect the team?

Ari said in the preseason that he was a potential 100pt scorer. He ended up the lowest scoring of all the forwards who played more than half the games. My personal opinion is that he was underachieving, undersized, and he allegiance was divided. With that said, there's also plenty of forward talent, with more on it's way. He just wasn't worth the roster spot.

What do you think?

Re: Milo
Posted by: DILLIGAF (---.metrocast.net)
Date: April 21, 2007 02:11PM

since the defections post is moving here, this is posted in both.The only bad thing he did was play baseball!

To dismiss a solid 2 way player like this for playing a sport in his off season is moronic by schafer. But maybe in Schafer's eyes playing baseball is a lot worse than rape.

Posted by: The Rancor (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: April 21, 2007 02:14PM

DILLIGAF
But maybe in Schafer's eyes playing baseball is a lot worse than rape.

uh...wow

Posted by: Dpperk29 (128.153.201.---)
Date: April 21, 2007 02:18PM

maybe he did something that we don't know about, and will never know about.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 21, 2007 02:21PM

DILLIGAF
since the defections post is moving here, this is posted in both.The only bad thing he did was play baseball!

To dismiss a solid 2 way player like this for playing a sport in his off season is moronic by schafer. But maybe in Schafer's eyes playing baseball is a lot worse than rape.
I don't think we have any idea what happenned and to speculate like this is ridiculous. crazyMaybe it was Milo's idea? Who knows?

Posted by: Rita (---.agry.purdue.edu)
Date: April 21, 2007 02:27PM

Dpperk29
maybe he did something that we don't know about, and will never know about.

Or maybe it was by mutual agreement. Whatever the reasons are for his leaving the team, neither Milo nor the hockey program is under any obligation to inform the public about those reasons.

We should be careful in our speculations such that reputation of Cornell and its students are not damaged by unsubstantiated claims.

Date: April 21, 2007 03:46PM

well it couldn't be academic or discipline related or he would be ineligible for the baseball team.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: April 21, 2007 08:38PM

DILLIGAF

Just curious: how do you know any of this? Are you an insider in the hockey program?

Re: Milo - keep speculating
Posted by: billhoward (12.178.208.---)
Date: April 21, 2007 11:28PM

... and fans are under no obligation to stop speculating about what happened to a promsing player. If he is in fact gone for sure from the hockey team, quite possibly:

- he wasn't as good as his previous year's point totals suggested
- Milo and Schafer had a personality clash resolved in the coach's favor
- Milo decided he liked baseball more

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 22, 2007 01:18AM

DILLIGAF
well it couldn't be academic or discipline related or he would be ineligible for the baseball team.
It certainly could be he just changed his mind about playing both sports. Maybe he just decided he liked baseball better. It worked out OK for Tom Glavine.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 22, 2007 02:02AM

Josh '99
DILLIGAF
It certainly could be he just changed his mind about playing both sports. Maybe he just decided he liked baseball better. It worked out OK for Tom Glavine.

And Kirk McCaskill, but UVM sucks. ;-)

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 22, 2007 11:58AM

DILLIGAF
well it couldn't be ... discipline related or he would be ineligible for the baseball team.
This isn't necessarily true. If there was insubordination or other team-related discipline, the baseball coach would have no obligation to back up Schafer's punishment. Obviously I have no insider knowledge at all as to the reasons for the split.

And the seemingly gratuitous implication that there was a rape (by Milo? a teammate? a past player? student-athletes generally? who the hell knows) or that the coaching staff doesn't care is pretty gross.

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: April 22, 2007 10:47PM

Listen, people, there's a group that it's acceptable to make false accusations against, and they're called Clarkson players.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: sah67 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: April 22, 2007 10:58PM

French Rage
Listen, people, there's a group that it's acceptable to make false accusations against, and they're called Clarkson players.

Nickerson ran over my dog...P/M me for details.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 22, 2007 11:33PM

sah67
French Rage

Nickerson ran over my dog...P/M me for details.

I almost ran into Nickerson the other day...

... so I backed up and tried again.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: April 23, 2007 06:29PM

French Rage

And a proper place for it:
Redemption Center

Posted by: Drew (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 23, 2007 10:43PM

marty
French Rage

Redemption Center
No worries Marty, Cornell fans speak more shit about their own players than I ever would, even as a rival.
Cheers!
Drew
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2007 09:59AM by Drew.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: April 24, 2007 08:01AM

Drew
marty
French Rage

Redemption Center
No worries Marty, Cornell fans speak more shit about their own players than I ever would as a rival.
Cheers!
Drew

He's got a point. wtf

Date: April 24, 2007 12:26PM

The rape issue in no way involved Milo, it was prior to his arrival, but the involved student athletes were not disciplined and are still playing.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: April 24, 2007 12:45PM

Unsubstantiated criminal claims about unnamed people from an anonymous source. We're a real message board at last.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: April 24, 2007 01:36PM

Rita
We should be careful in our speculations such that reputation of Cornell and its students are not damaged by unsubstantiated claims.
Not to mention that there's an online forum for this: USCHO.

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: April 24, 2007 02:30PM

RatushnyFan
Rita

Our rapists will make us a perrenial powerhouse!

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: April 24, 2007 03:24PM

French Rage
RatushnyFan
Rita

"I'll take 'the rapists' for twenty" wins per season.

Date: April 24, 2007 03:33PM

Josh '99
French Rage
RatushnyFan
Rita

"I'll take 'the rapists' for twenty" wins per season.

"I was both an analyst and a therapist. I was the first anal-rapist."

Posted by: evilnaturedrobot (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 24, 2007 04:44PM

"It wasn't really the pronounciation that bothered me."
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2007 04:53PM by evilnaturedrobot.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 24, 2007 09:21PM

Guess he knows hot to hit: [cornellbigred.cstv.com]

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 19, 2007 11:30AM

[cornellbigred.cstv.com]

Posted by: johnny923 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 22, 2007 04:56AM

Just a thought on this Milo off the team situation...any chance that he really would have liked to play both but Schafer saw that he is a really good baseball player and kicked him off the hockey team so that he had to focus on the sport he (may) have a career in? Even though he is pretty short to play baseball. Just a thought

Posted by: Townie (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 22, 2007 08:44AM

johnny923
Just a thought on this Milo off the team situation...any chance that he really would have liked to play both but Schafer saw that he is a really good baseball player and kicked him off the hockey team so that he had to focus on the sport he (may) have a career in? Even though he is pretty short to play baseball. Just a thought

Possible...but doubtful. More liklely Milo (his parents?) thought it better to preserve his body for any baseball career.

It's also very possible that he just didn't fit in personality-wise. Like Mike Stachurski a few years back, a tough, hard-nosed d-man who just couldn't blend with the team culture and personalities.

At least that's what he told me.....

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: May 22, 2007 12:18PM

johnny923
Seems extremely unlikely. Why would Schafer take it upon himself to decide that a player (that he recruited) is better suited for another sport and then force him to go play it? The only way that makes sense to me is if the kid really can't play hockey but no one is accusing Milo of being a bad hockey player.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 22, 2007 12:55PM

Townie

It's also very possible that he just didn't fit in personality-wise. Like Mike Stachurski a few years back, a tough, hard-nosed d-man who just couldn't blend with the team culture and personalities.

Although the personality thing is true, Stachurski flat out just wasn't good enough. For some reason, the coaches brought him in after never seeing him play.

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: May 22, 2007 03:00PM

calgARI '07
Townie

Although the personality thing is true, Stachurski flat out just wasn't good enough. For some reason, the coaches brought him in after never seeing him play.
Did he transfer somewhere else to play or settle for the academic life at Cornell?

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 22, 2007 04:06PM

ugarte
Did he transfer somewhere else to play or settle for the academic life at Cornell?

Stayed at Cornell, played club hockey, and will be graduating this weekend I think.

Posted by: sah67 (---.clarityconnect.net)
Date: May 22, 2007 04:43PM

calgARI '07
ugarte

Stayed at Cornell, played club hockey, and will be graduating this weekend I think.

He also was the head coach of the women's club team this year, so I'm not sure how actively he was playing on the men's club team.

Date: May 22, 2007 07:06PM

sah67
calgARI '07
ugarte

He also was the head coach of the women's club team this year, so I'm not sure how actively he was playing on the men's club team.

Last I spoke to him (several years ago), the men's club was doing well and in contention for a title or championship of some sort.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.nrl.navy.mil)
Date: June 04, 2007 02:19PM

Justin Milo is playing in a 4-on-4 league this summer. [www.mn4on4hockey.com] It's a strange mix of pros and amateurs.

Posted by: ithacat (128.253.193.---)
Date: June 22, 2007 01:52PM

Milo has been added to Lincoln's protected roster, according to USHR.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 22, 2007 10:03PM

ithacat
Milo has been added to Lincoln's protected roster, according to USHR.
What does that mean?

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: June 22, 2007 10:30PM

A Lincoln message board had mentioned that he was at camp getting ready for the tournament he's playing in up in Minnesota. Seems odd that they would use a roster spot if there wasn't a chance he might return to the USHL. Maybe he's just keeping his options open in case he truly can't return to the team.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: June 23, 2007 01:48AM

ithacat
A Lincoln message board had mentioned that he was at camp getting ready for the tournament he's playing in up in Minnesota. Seems odd that they would use a roster spot if there wasn't a chance he might return to the USHL. Maybe he's just keeping his options open in case he truly can't return to the team.

What would this do to his baseball career?

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.direcpc.com)
Date: June 24, 2007 04:59PM

Milo will also be playing in an International Jewish Tournament in Israel this summer. Other members of Team USA include Dov Grumet-Morris and Nathan Davis. Also, David Adler is on the roster. Dylan Reese was supposed to play but he had to drop out. The GM's of Team USA are Dave Taylor and Neil Smith.

Date: June 25, 2007 05:44AM

ursusminor
Justin Milo is playing in a 4-on-4 league this summer. [www.mn4on4hockey.com] It's a strange mix of pros and amateurs.

He didn't play in either of the first two league games last week. [www.mn4on4hockey.com] It is possible that he played but didn't score a goal or have an assist, but rather unlikely considering the high scores. (The team with the three RPI players scored 32 goals in 2 games.)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2007 05:49AM by ursusminor.

Posted by: The Rancor (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: June 25, 2007 09:26AM

calgARI '07
Milo will also be playing in an International Jewish Tournament in Israel this summer. Other members of Team USA include Dov Grumet-Morris and Nathan Davis. Also, David Adler is on the roster. Dylan Reese was supposed to play but he had to drop out. The GM's of Team USA are Dave Taylor and Neil Smith.

that wasn't part of my birthright trip!

Date: July 03, 2007 07:10AM

USHL teams had to cut their rostrs to 25 by July 1st. Milo is one of the 25 protected by the Stars. Rosters are finalized at 23 by the end of September.

[www.ushl.com]

Date: July 26, 2007 11:39AM

calgARI '07

Dov scored a goal [www.jpost.com] rolleyes Recent RPI grad Oren Eizenman was named best forward.

Posted by: cth95 (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: July 26, 2007 09:45PM

ursusminor
calgARI '07

Dov scored a goal [www.jpost.com] rolleyes Recent RPI grad Oren Eizenman was named best forward.

That's pretty weird that it mentions the goal so casually. I would think there would have been a lot more said about a goal scored by a netminder. Particularly since it was such a close game.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 26, 2007 10:37PM

I read somewhere that Hyphen was playing forward in the game.

Posted by: wewantmore (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 26, 2007 10:40PM

I bet the catholic tourney would be much better hockey.banana

Date: July 26, 2007 10:41PM

wewantmore

Although the Jewish hockey fan tournament would be bigger.

Date: July 27, 2007 04:17AM

wewantmore

Does the Vatican have a rink? :-D

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: July 27, 2007 11:15AM

ursusminor
I read somewhere that Hyphen was playing forward in the game.
That's good strategy by the coach, since Hyphen is a shitty goalie.

Date: July 27, 2007 02:38PM

It has a rink, the Pope and the preists don't play though, they lend a hand (if you know what I mean) with the youth instructional program.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: August 03, 2007 06:06AM

DILLIGAF
It has a rink, the Pope and the preists don't play though, they lend a hand (if you know what I mean) with the youth instructional program.

Actually I heard that they save a ton on refrigeration, since they can all skate on water.

Posted by: BCrespi (209.191.175.---)
Date: August 03, 2007 10:21AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
DILLIGAF

Actually I heard that they save a ton on refrigeration, since they can all skate on water.

Actually, The Great One is the only Catholic All-Stars player to ever skate on water. Man that guy was good...

Date: August 15, 2007 09:52PM

Wow, I didn't see this one coming...

Former Lincoln player Justin Milo will play baseball at Vermont this year, after considering a return to the Stars. Kyle Follmer has also been considering college options, but appears headed back to Lincoln for another season.

[journalstar.com]

Makes me think Milo isn't done playing college hockey.

Posted by: evilnaturedrobot (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 15, 2007 10:35PM

Well, he's certainyl keeping his options open. He's goign to a school with a strong hockey program, should he decide to lace the skates up a year from now (he would have to sit out a year of hockey because he transfered, right?)

Date: August 16, 2007 09:34AM

ithacat
Former Lincoln player Justin Milo will play baseball at Vermont this year
Vermont is a Division I program. Won't Milo have to sit a year to transfer?

There is nothing on the Vermont website about Milo's arrival.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.orl.fdn.com)
Date: August 16, 2007 09:49AM

So is four balls an elephant walk?

Posted by: BCrespi (209.191.175.---)
Date: August 16, 2007 10:08AM

evilnaturedrobot
Well, he's certainyl keeping his options open. He's goign to a school with a strong hockey program, should he decide to lace the skates up a year from now (he would have to sit out a year of hockey because he transfered, right?)

I would assume he has to sit a year of baseball too, no?

Date: August 16, 2007 11:44AM

I'm pretty sure that the only sports that require a year long sit are football, basketball and hockey. Thus, he could play baseball this year and then lace up his skates and play both sports next year.

Date: August 16, 2007 12:02PM

evilnaturedrobot
I'm pretty sure that the only sports that require a year long sit are football, basketball and hockey. Thus, he could play baseball this year and then lace up his skates and play both sports next year.
Spot on. Glad to see you've stopped drinking (today).

Date: August 16, 2007 12:56PM

Talk about moving up in leagues. From the EZAC to Hockey East. This is a great move for Milo.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: August 16, 2007 01:24PM

DILLIGAF
Talk about moving up in leagues. From the EZAC to Hockey East. This is a great move for Milo.
But then, I didn't know that Hockey East had a baseball team.blush

Date: August 16, 2007 01:52PM

Jim Hyla
DILLIGAF
But then, I didn't know that Hockey East had a baseball team.blush
Neither does the ECAC (as far as Cornell is concerned). In baseball he is going from the Ivy League to America East.

Date: August 16, 2007 02:22PM

He obvioulsy didn't leave to play baseball. He left to play baseball and hockey.

The Cornell baseball coach can't be real happy with Mike for screwing Milo over and driving him away. How often do you lose a Freshman All American because of another coach at your school?

Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.111.251.50.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: August 16, 2007 03:57PM

DILLIGAF
whine whine whine, coach schafer sucks, whine whine whine

broken record
*clap clap clapclapclap*
broken record
*clap clap clapclapclap*

sorry, i couldn't resist feeding the troll. they're just so darn cute sometimes.

Date: August 16, 2007 04:07PM

ugarte
evilnaturedrobot
Spot on. Glad to see you've stopped drinking (today).

well, the sun's still out.

Date: August 16, 2007 05:40PM

DILLIGAF
He obvioulsy didn't leave to play baseball. He left to play baseball and hockey.

The Cornell baseball coach can't be real happy with Mike for screwing Milo over and driving him away. How often do you lose a Freshman All American because of another coach at your school?

Or perhaps the hockey coach can't be real happy with Milo for being a jerk and screwing with the team. But I guess I don't know which of these suppositions is true.

But I do know that YYLLYGAD...FO...L...HTR...DLTDHYOTWO...&...FYVM!

Date: August 16, 2007 07:10PM

DILLIGAF

Mmhmm, Schafer should have treated Milo differently at a detriment to his team to help our amazing baseball team. Got it.

Date: August 16, 2007 10:29PM

to be fair, every indication is that when Milo commited to Cornell he was told that he could play both sports ( I seem to recall that this being mentioned somtime in the 05-o6 year.) If it is true that Schafer changed his mind half way through the year, and there is no evidence of this aside from Dilligaf's highly suspect word, then it's a poor job on Mike's part. It would be completely unfair to Milo to tell him that he could play both sports and then boot him off the team for doing exactly that.

But again, the assumption has been made that Baseball is the reason for Milo's departure and I've yet to hear any comfirmation of this from a reliable source.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: August 17, 2007 08:00AM

evilnaturedrobot
to be fair, every indication is that when Milo commited to Cornell he was told that he could play both sports ( I seem to recall that this being mentioned somtime in the 05-o6 year.) If it is true that Schafer changed his mind half way through the year, and there is no evidence of this aside from Dilligaf's highly suspect word, then it's a poor job on Mike's part. It would be completely unfair to Milo to tell him that he could play both sports and then boot him off the team for doing exactly that.

But again, the assumption has been made that Baseball is the reason for Milo's departure and I've yet to hear any comfirmation of this from a reliable source.

Additionally, this alleged behavior on Shafer's part makes little sense. Talented athletes often play multiple sports. Didn't MJ play baseball and basketball at North Carolina? To have a one-sport policy would eliminate some of the more gifted athletes. Does anyone know of another player who played two sports under Mike?

Of course, if playing the two sports caused serious conflict, that would be another story. To my mind, there's a big difference between a coach saying, "No, you cannot play baseball and still be on this team" and one saying, "No, you cannot miss the ECAC playoffs to go to that Florida baseball tournament and remain on this team."

Posted by: margolism (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 17, 2007 08:39AM

Milo removed from the 2008 Cornell baseball team roster.

Date: August 17, 2007 08:59AM

Swampy
Does anyone know of another player who played two sports under Mike?

Damian Rocke. :-D twak

Date: August 17, 2007 09:55AM

Swampy
Didn't MJ play baseball and basketball at North Carolina?
No.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: August 17, 2007 11:02AM

ugarte
Swampy
No.
What part of Jordan's minor league "career" led you to think he'd played baseball since little league?

Date: August 17, 2007 01:04PM

KeithK
What part of Jordan's minor league "career" led you to think he'd played baseball since little league?[/quote

That is just mean!

Posted by: Robb (---.gradacc.ox.ac.uk)
Date: August 17, 2007 02:27PM

Swampy
Totally random, but I once heard an inspirational speaker (Albert Long) who lettered in 4 sports at UNC: Track, Baseball, Basketball, and Football. Of course, he graduated in 1955, but that's still pretty crazy.

Date: August 17, 2007 02:58PM

DILLIGAF
KeithK
What part of Jordan's minor league "career" led you to think he'd played baseball since little league?

That is just mean!

The guy couldn't score from second on a double. Sometimes the truth hurts...

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: August 18, 2007 01:12PM

Well, Harry Orr did play hockey and lacrosse under Harkness. The results weren't too shabby.

Maybe the solution would have been for Mike to take over coaching baseball in addition to hockey.

Posted by: cth95 (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: August 19, 2007 09:52PM

I teach skiing part-time with a guy named Joe Bartlett who is in the UNH hall of fame for lettering in three sports. Of course, part of the reason he is in the hall of fame is because he was the last athlete to do this at UNH and it was in the 70's. He played with Dick Umile when hockey first became a varsity sport there. I think he played football and baseball, too, but I can't remember which other sports for sure.

Knowing him, I can see how Joe had the talent to do this. He didn't learn skiing until he was in his 40's, yet he is very good. He also perenially vies for the club championship at a couple of local courses.

Date: August 20, 2007 08:27AM

Swampy
Maybe the solution would have been for Mike to take over coaching baseball in addition to hockey.

Sure if the result wanted was a high level of dysfunction and under-achievement Mike is definitely the answer.

Date: August 20, 2007 01:56PM

dysfunction and under-achievement being defined as: multiple conferance championships, several NCAA appearances, and generally being the most successful ECAC team over the last 7 years?

Date: August 20, 2007 03:55PM

evilnaturedrobot
dysfunction and under-achievement being defined as: multiple conferance championships, several NCAA appearances, and generally being the most successful ECAC team over the last 7 years?
To be fair, with the talent he has had, Schafer should have an 2 NCAA titles, a Stanley Cup and the Congressional Medal of Freedom.

Date: August 20, 2007 04:48PM

Presidential Medal of Freedom. :-P

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: August 20, 2007 07:00PM

evilnaturedrobot

Looked it up to help you out:

dysfunction and under-achievement: n.pl. 1. DILLIGAF. (See also, Hahvahd in the NCAA tournament.)

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: August 21, 2007 10:00PM

DILLIGAF
Swampy

Sure if the result wanted was a high level of dysfunction and under-achievement Mike is definitely the answer.

Just because Mike turned you down when you asked him to the prom is no reason for such nastiness. We've been through this before with transgendered nuns, no less. Your problems can be handled with some long talks

The Answer

or if you are the underachiever that I believe you can try some of these

Get Happy

Sorry but I can't help with specific "Happy" recommendations.

UVm Release on Milo
Posted by: Chris '03 (---.public.uconn.edu)
Date: August 22, 2007 02:26PM

UVm Elephant Walk Dept.
Sophomore Justin Milo (Eden Prairie, Minn.) has announced his decision to transfer to the University of Vermont from Cornell and will play baseball and men’s hockey for the Catamounts. Milo (pronounced MY-low) will have three seasons of eligibility remaining for baseball beginning with the 2008 season. He also will have three years of eligibility remaining for hockey starting with 2008-09 season after sitting out the 2007-08 season per NCAA rules.
[www.uvm.edu]

Re: UVm Release on Milo
Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.111.251.50.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: August 22, 2007 03:26PM

Chris '03
UVm Elephant Walk Dept.
Sophomore Justin Milo (Eden Prairie, Minn.) has announced his decision to transfer to the University of Vermont from Cornell and will play baseball and men’s hockey for the Catamounts. Milo (pronounced MY-low) will have three seasons of eligibility remaining for baseball beginning with the 2008 season. He also will have three years of eligibility remaining for hockey starting with 2008-09 season after sitting out the 2007-08 season per NCAA rules.
[www.uvm.edu]

Off he goes, like sheep to the slaughter.... errr...elephant walk.

Date: August 22, 2007 04:21PM

Ben Rocky '04
Chris '03
UVm Elephant Walk Dept.
[www.uvm.edu]

So he gets three whole seasons to finish 5th in Hockey East?

Posted by: RichH (216.195.201.---)
Date: August 23, 2007 10:28AM

French Rage
Ben Rocky '04
Chris '03
UVm Elephant Walk Dept.
[www.uvm.edu]

So he gets three whole seasons to finish 5th in Hockey East?

Well, look...I wish him luck and will root for his continued (individual) success. He obviously knows what he wants to do, has demonstrated skill at these things, and wasn't afforded the opportunity to be able to continue to do so at Cornell. Good for him for seeking out a place that he can persue all of his goals.

IIRC, Kirk McCaskill was an All-American hockey player at UVM, and then went on for a lengthy Major League Baseball career.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2007 10:30AM by RichH.

Posted by: bothman (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: August 24, 2007 09:19PM

Maybe Justin just didn't like donuts....burnout

Posted by: ebilmes (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 25, 2007 02:37PM

Milo's sticks are still in the locker room...

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.dhcp.psdn.ca.charter.com)
Date: August 25, 2007 02:38PM

ebilmes
Milo's sticks are still in the locker room...

Well the school buys the sticks, so that isn't very surprising.

Date: August 25, 2007 08:00PM

5th in Hockey East will generally get you to the NCAAs and have you ranked in the top 20 in the country.

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 26, 2007 12:20AM

DILLIGAF
5th in Hockey East will generally get you to the NCAAs and have you ranked in the top 20 in the country.

If by "generally" you mean it only happened last year and never before (of course, it only makes sense to go back to 2003), then yes. Meanwhile, Cornell has done that 4 of the last 6 years. So yeah, I can see how being 5th in Hockey East is so much better than here.

(And of course if you read the USCHO forums the only reason Hockey East got 5 teams last year was the vast eastern conspiracy.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 26, 2007 02:38PM

Hey, remember the last time Vermont was in the NCAA? It was TEN YEARS AGO. The most notable thing they've done since Martin St. Louis and Eric Perrin and Tim Thomas left was to have a season canceled for hazing. So let's not go making assumptions about them just yet.

Posted by: cquinn (12.129.98.---)
Date: September 04, 2007 09:15AM

Article in today's Burlington Free Press about the Milo transfer.

[www.burlingtonfreepress.com]

Posted by: ebilmes (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 04, 2007 04:40PM

Justin Milo makes one thing clear: He says he harbors no ill will toward Cornell University and Big Red hockey coach Mike Schafer.

"Cornell is a great place, but it kind of didn't work out on the hockey standpoint," said Milo...

Schafer stated, "He's a great kid. I can say he's a really good hockey player but from my standing, things didn't work out at Cornell. We hope they do work out at Vermont."

On the surface, it seems a lot more amicable than the Romano departure. Then again, if you kick a kid off the team, how disappointed can you be when he transfers?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2007 04:50PM by ebilmes.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: September 04, 2007 05:43PM

ebilmes
On the surface, it seems a lot more amicable than the Romano departure. Then again, if you kick a kid off the team, how disappointed can you be when he transfers?
The article implies Schafer helped sell Sneddon on Milo. That might be journalistic poetic license, or it might mean Schafer and Milo had an unbridgable difference on baseball, but Mike still liked the kid well enough to help him move on.

The only question in my mind is, if this was all about being a two-sport athlete, why wasn't it resolved prior to his admission? It sounds pretty cut and dried to me. "Coach, if I come here, can I still play baseball?" "No." "OK, then, thanks but I'll take a different route." Pretty straightforward.

Date: September 04, 2007 05:59PM

Trotsky
The only question in my mind is, if this was all about being a two-sport athlete, why wasn't it resolved prior to his admission? It sounds pretty cut and dried to me. "Coach, if I come here, can I still play baseball?" "No." "OK, then, thanks but I'll take a different route." Pretty straightforward.

Everything I've heard (from reliable sources) indicates it was about him not fitting in with the team from a personality standpoint.

Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login