Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

[Slightly OT] Chance for Cornell to get More Press

Posted by Matt Janiga 
[Slightly OT] Chance for Cornell to get More Press
Posted by: Matt Janiga (---.onenetusa.net)
Date: May 17, 2006 04:56PM

Doonesbury is deciding where Alex should head to College by online poll... and sadly, Cornell is trailing.

[cgi.doonesbury.com]

And to add injury to insult, RIP is winning.

I know there is a Doonesbury thread running in the other section of the forum, but this wasn't prominently featured. Plus, if Alex attends Cornell, this guy will likely visit to get a feel for the campus, and that could mean more press for Cornell Hockey (hence the "slightly" off topic tag). Hence, important enough for it's own topic.

We have more living alumni than almost any school other than Michigan. Come on people -- we can beat these other schools if we put some effort in and spread the word.

I'm leaving for China in a few days, and won't have access to read all of the loving replies. Feel free to flame away. Just vote before you do.

Hockey-flavored hugs and kisses,
Matt Janiga

Re: [Slightly OT] Chance for Cornell to get More Press
Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: May 17, 2006 05:25PM

wow there has been some serious vote-stuffing since I voted...from the other schools:-/

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 17, 2006 05:46PM

It'll be hard to live down the Wolfowitz rap. worry

Posted by: pfibiger (66.77.101.---)
Date: May 17, 2006 07:07PM

ok, so clearly people wrote software to vote for both MIT and RPI. I've written some in hopes of catching us up, but they've got quite a head start :)

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 17, 2006 07:58PM

[www.news.cornell.edu]

Posted by: ebilmes (---.37.9.185.adsl.snet.net)
Date: May 17, 2006 08:09PM

Cornell has a significant lead in the "no college degree" demographic.

Posted by: nr53 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 17, 2006 09:22PM

Why is it that our little blurb sounds so pathetic compared to RIP and MIT? Gahh! One comic strip shouldn't bother me as much as this :-P

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 17, 2006 10:43PM

ebilmes
Cornell has a significant lead in the "no college degree" demographic.

Well, not anymore. Also, the poll page is loading MUCH more slowly now than it was earlier in the day. In fact, it's not loading at all. Me thinks the site is being bombarded by a script war between Troy and Cambridge, since they don't have anything important to work on at those campuses. ;-)

Posted by: pfibiger (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: May 17, 2006 10:48PM

I had gotten us from 3% up to 16, but the combination of mine and the scripts from MIT and RPI was just destroying the box. I gave up, but clearly others hadn't. Looks like at least some of the round-robin boxes are completely down.

Posted by: French Rage (---.washdc.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: May 18, 2006 09:32AM

Well, maybe he'll like that we cheat slightly less...

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: ugarte (---.z065105093.nyc-ny.dsl.cnc.net)
Date: May 18, 2006 04:40PM

French Rage
Well, maybe he'll like that we cheat slightly less...
Or maybe Alex will go to the school with the engineers best able to swamp the system.

Posted by: Tom14850 (---.softwaredimensions.com)
Date: May 18, 2006 05:03PM

[Q]We have more living alumni than almost any school other than Michigan. Come on people -- we can beat these other schools if we put some effort in and spread the word.[/Q]

We have more living alumni that any almost any other school???? that sounds crazy to me. Is this true? Surely the big state schools and big ten schools, etc. must have far more living alumni than us... or they lag behind us only by virtue of growing more recently than Cornell, in which case we will soon be overtaken by many, many schools.

Posted by: Bryan '06 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: May 18, 2006 08:26PM

Tom14850
[Q]We have more living alumni than almost any school other than Michigan. Come on people -- we can beat these other schools if we put some effort in and spread the word.[/Q]

We have more living alumni that any almost any other school???? that sounds crazy to me. Is this true? Surely the big state schools and big ten schools, etc. must have far more living alumni than us... or they lag behind us only by virtue of growing more recently than Cornell, in which case we will soon be overtaken by many, many schools.

I beleive he meant we have more living alumni than any school on the Doonsebury list than all of the other schools, save Michigan.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2006 08:26PM by Bryan '06.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: May 22, 2006 03:15PM

Tom14850

It's that we live longer. Those hills were great cardio.

Posted by: Rich S (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 22, 2006 11:03PM

But they must have been hard on the knee joints. I'd think you guys would have orthopedic problems. :-D

Posted by: dbilmes (---.37.17.236.adsl.snet.net)
Date: May 28, 2006 12:19PM

Rich S
But they must have been hard on the knee joints. I'd think you guys would have orthopedic problems. :-D

That's true. I've had arthroscopic surgery on both of my knees. Of course playing tennis 7 days a week when I was younger might have had something to do with that as well!

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 29, 2006 12:16AM

The answer is MIT.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 29, 2006 02:08PM

A terrific response to the voting:

[www.doonesbury.com]

[Q]However, students and alums managed to post many passionate, articulate, humorous, and convincing posts on our Blowback page, all making the case that Alex should head to Ithaca. In acknowledgement of this impressive and moving effort, the Doonesbury Town Hall is pleased to award Cornell the Doonesbury Straw Poll Congeniality Award.[/Q]

sigh.

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: May 29, 2006 05:07PM

So this Miss Congeniality award means Alex can hate MIT and transfer here in time for her second semester, right?

Yeah, I didn't think so. Oh, well.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login