Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

OLÉ!

Posted by LaJollaRed 
OLÉ!
Posted by: LaJollaRed (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 28, 2006 07:15PM

Hi there. I know it's April, and there's plenty of time before the new season starts, but I thought I'd start a New Cheers Thread...

I love all the current ones and don't think we should get rid of a single one. I just thought we should bulk up the arsenal a bit before October.

So, do you all have any ideas for things that you wish you could hear at Lynah, sung in unison by four thousand passionate fans? Think: Premiere League Soccer Matches...That's what I think we're on the brink of as far as Rabid-Fan-Participation.

Here are some possible ideas. PLEASE add more:

1) Some sort of Power-play chant. This year, a few times, while on the PP, section A got in the habit of chanting SCORE! SCORE! SCORE! (slowly, about one per second) while pointing to the opposing net. I liked this.

2) One of my favorite parts of the NHL playoffs is watching Montreal games in which the entire crowd is singing Ole-ole when they're a goal or two up. I LOVE this and think it sounds amazingly cool. Any ideas for something similar that would work at Lynah? Is there a song like that everyone knows and will recognize that DOESN'T remind us of Brazilian soccer? I'd be 100% happy with OLE-OLE...Perhaps it could be our prelude to WARM UP THE BUS?

3) At my high school, when the water polo team was down a goal some of us in the crowd would sing WE SHALL OVERCOME...Sung a bit faster than normal with two good claps between the repetitions of "deep in my heart."

4) Player specific songs? Perhaps ones that don't need the band's help? HEY BÅBY (Hey Ray-Ray) is fantastic. Does anyone have any ideas for other ones?

5)We MUST resuscitate the UNDERDOG / UNDERHILL song. LEARN THE LYRICS, people. How fantastic that ALL of our recent goalies have had names that lend themselves to the 3-sylable requirement of that song!! UNDERHILL, LENEVEAU, DAVE MCKEE, LOU CHABOT (almost), DILEO, DAVENPORT

6) Once at a water polo game we sang all four stanzas of the national anthem...It was incredible. Persons nervous / concerned about the line "In God Is Our Trust" could say "In Mike Is Our Trust" (Schafer)...And so as to not confuse / offend anyone else, we could sing OUR BIG RED BANNER (instead of Star-spangled banner) for the last 3 verses. The lyrics REALLY lend themselves to sporting events if you think about them. Especially if we're playing a team that's of a better ranking...I KNOW we've discussed altering the nation's anthem before (spanish?!), but I still contend that there's nothing more patriotic than enjoying yourself while singing it. Otherwise it might as well be a druid chant.

There should never be a moment of silence in that rink ever again. Let's GO RED!

Re: OLÉ!
Date: April 28, 2006 07:35PM

On the shore, dimly seen through the mists of the deep,
Where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes,
What is that which the breeze, o'er the towering steep,
As it fitfully blows, now conceals, now discloses?
Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam,
In full glory reflected now shines on the stream:
Tis the star-spangled banner! O long may it wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore
That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion
A home and a country should leave us no more?
Their blood has washed out their foul footsteps' pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave:
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave

Oh! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved homes and the war's desolation!
Blest with victory and peace, may the Heaven-rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause, it is just,
And this be our motto: “In God is our trust.”
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: April 28, 2006 07:44PM

LaJollaRed
There should never be a moment of silence in that rink ever again. Let's GO RED!

You might want to be silent when a player gets injured, no matter which team he plays for.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: April 28, 2006 07:48PM

The fourth verse is very much my favorite in a song that I love. At least when it's not being butchered by some stupid pop singer at a sporting event.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: April 28, 2006 07:49PM

Will
LaJollaRed

You might want to be silent when a player gets injured, no matter which team he plays for.
SCRAPE HIM OFF... well, maybe not.

Date: April 28, 2006 07:52PM

Way to burst my bubble, Will. I'm sure you were the coolest kid in middle school.

You know what I mean...I love this team and I love hockey night in Ithaca. We can make it even better.

Date: April 28, 2006 08:19PM

Okay, now for some real responses...

LaJollaRed
1) Some sort of Power-play chant. This year, a few times, while on the PP, section A got in the habit of chanting SCORE! SCORE! SCORE! (slowly, about one per second) while pointing to the opposing net. I liked this.

I definitely like the idea of chanting during the PP. I'm not too in love with "SCORE! SCORE! SCORE!" though, since it seems too much like the idiots who keep shouting "SHOOT!" during the PP (admittedly, I've been one of those idiots once or twice). The simple LGR is still pretty good for this, in my opinion; it just needs to be sustained while Cornell is on the offensive.

2) One of my favorite parts of the NHL playoffs is watching Montreal games in which the entire crowd is singing Ole-ole when they're a goal or two up. I LOVE this and think it sounds amazingly cool. Any ideas for something similar that would work at Lynah? Is there a song like that everyone knows and will recognize that DOESN'T remind us of Brazilian soccer? I'd be 100% happy with OLE-OLE...Perhaps it could be our prelude to WARM UP THE BUS?

I don't relish the idea of a cheer that's specifically for a one- or two-goal lead, since it seems overly hubristic. Maybe a specific cheer for having a huge lead would be in order, though I suppose we already have a few cheers that fit the bill. (Also, given that we rarely ever see Cornell dominating with a huge lead anymore, it might be futile to even contemplate this.)

3) At my high school, when the water polo team was down a goal some of us in the crowd would sing WE SHALL OVERCOME...Sung a bit faster than normal with two good claps between the repetitions of "deep in my heart."

I like the idea of a specific cheer for when our team is down (that isn't TEAM-NAME sucks over and over and over again). I'm kinda mixed about "We shall overcome", though.

4) Player specific songs? Perhaps ones that don't need the band's help? HEY BÅBY (Hey Ray-Ray) is fantastic. Does anyone have any ideas for other ones?

I've half-heartedly been putting forth "Ballroom Blitz" to honor Byron Bitz for a while now. Someone else on ELF wrote some lyrics a few years back for this. I guess all we need is a band arrangement of the song.

5)We MUST resuscitate the UNDERDOG / UNDERHILL song. LEARN THE LYRICS, people. How fantastic that ALL of our recent goalies have had names that lend themselves to the 3-sylable requirement of that song!! UNDERHILL, LENEVEAU, DAVE MCKEE, LOU CHABOT (almost), DILEO, DAVENPORT

I'm all for an "Underdog" resuscitation.

Um, but...DiLeo? The guy who has yet to dress for a game, let alone play in one? You're joking, right?

6) Once at a water polo game we sang all four stanzas of the national anthem...It was incredible. Persons nervous / concerned about the line "In God Is Our Trust" could say "In Mike Is Our Trust" (Schafer)...And so as to not confuse / offend anyone else, we could sing OUR BIG RED BANNER (instead of Star-spangled banner) for the last 3 verses. The lyrics REALLY lend themselves to sporting events if you think about them. Especially if we're playing a team that's of a better ranking...I KNOW we've discussed altering the nation's anthem before (spanish?!), but I still contend that there's nothing more patriotic than enjoying yourself while singing it. Otherwise it might as well be a druid chant.

I'd like to see it in action first before I make a judgement on this.

All in all, some interesting suggestions, LaJollaRed.

Date: April 28, 2006 08:25PM

Thanks, bud.

Dileo hasn't played, true, but his name does have three sylables.

Posted by: Rita (---.resnet.purdue.edu)
Date: April 28, 2006 08:34PM

LaJollaRed
Hi there. I know it's April, and there's plenty of time before the new season starts, but I thought I'd start a New Cheers Thread...

I love all the current ones and don't think we should get rid of a single one. I just thought we should bulk up the arsenal a bit before October.

So, do you all have any ideas for things that you wish you could hear at Lynah, sung in unison by four thousand passionate fans? Think: Premiere League Soccer Matches...That's what I think we're on the brink of as far as Rabid-Fan-Participation.

To the "HEY BÅBY" song, how about:
Hey Barlow
We wanna know
If you'll score a goal

It is a fun melody, but I do not want to put any undo pressure on Evan Barlow.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 28, 2006 09:13PM

DiLeo did dress for a home game, fairly late in the season, when Chabot did not dress. (Just feel a little like picking nits, since there seems to be nothing I can do to keep my plum Section C seats.)
Andy W.

Date: April 28, 2006 09:24PM

andyw2100
DiLeo did dress for a home game, fairly late in the season, when Chabot did not dress. (Just feel a little like picking nits, since there seems to be nothing I can do to keep my plum Section C seats.)
Andy W.

You're right. I forgot that he dressed for the home game against St. Lawrence. Nevertheless, my "hasn't played yet" point stands.

Date: April 28, 2006 09:26PM

Rita
Hey Barlow
We wanna know
If you'll score a goal

I always thought it would be funny to substitute "Topher" for "Bâby" in the original song (that is, the Lynah version). Because, y'know, the little guy killing someone seems really funny to me. :-D

Posted by: Rita (---.agry.purdue.edu)
Date: April 28, 2006 10:24PM

Will
Rita
Hey Barlow
We wanna know
If you'll score a goal

I always thought it would be funny to substitute "Topher" for "Bâby" in the original song (that is, the Lynah version). Because, y'know, the little guy killing someone seems really funny to me. :-D

Well, Topher does have this knack, at least according to certain on-ice officials, of taking down Badgers. ;-)

We could do the "Topher version" when we need a bit hit, and the "Barlow verison" when we need a goal. :-)

Posted by: montague (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: April 29, 2006 01:06AM

Like Will, I'm not sure if I agree with the "SCORE! SCORE! SCORE!" cheer on the powerplay; it really isn't very creative or inspiring.

The "Ole-Ole" cheer is good suggestion. If we could get the whole Lynah crowd singing, the result would just be unbelievable. BU does this on the PK, so that fact could make some people hesitant about ever considering it. However, given that the "Kill, Red, Kill " cheer has seen only moderate success and our lack of range is increasingly apparent, I think that "Ole-Ole" could really find a place in the arsenal. It certainly would be a crowd pleaser for those fans who aren't as intense as we are.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: April 29, 2006 01:20AM

montague
Like Will, I'm not sure if I agree with the "SCORE! SCORE! SCORE!" cheer on the powerplay; it really isn't very creative or inspiring.

It's also way too close to yelling "SHOOT!" during the power play for my tastes.

montague
The "Ole-Ole" cheer is good suggestion. If we could get the whole Lynah crowd singing, the result would just be unbelievable. BU does this on the PK, so that fact could make some people hesitant about ever considering it. However, given that the "Kill, Red, Kill " cheer has seen only moderate success and our lack of range is increasingly apparent, I think that "Ole-Ole" could really find a place in the arsenal. It certainly would be a crowd pleaser for those fans who aren't as intense as we are.

I don't think it's very creative, and other than its use by Montreal and BU, it has nothing to do with hockey. I'd really prefer we use something we came up with on our own - e.g., the "Kill, Red, Kill," which I think started to catch on well and will likely continue to get better.

As for the overall concept, LJR, I really appreciate your enthusiasm, but one of the things I've always liked the most about the Faithful is the way the cheers and songs develop organically. There's no reason that people here shouldn't be trying to help come up with new stuff, but I really don't like the idea of new stuff for the sake of new stuff.

An example: The pep band's bullfight song used to end with the Faithful yelling "Olé!" That evolved into "Auger!" because one or two people started it, and it caught on - not because someone said, "Hey, we've got a player named Auger, let's try to come up with a song that it would make sense to yell 'Olé' after and then use 'Auger' instead." The Bâby song may have been a little more deliberate, but it at least had the benefit of 98% of people knowing the original song - this is not true of, say, "Ballroom Blitz."

I don't really have my thoughts organized right now, and as I said I don't want to discourage your enthusiasm. But if you find you're actually hoping to get the Faithful on board with each of your plans, you may end up discouraged anyway. :-)

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: montague (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: April 29, 2006 01:39AM

Yeah, I pretty much agree with everything you've said there Beeeej. While we do have other cheers that are unrelated to hockey, your point about cheers being added organically is well taken. Let's hope "Kill, Red, Kill" enjoys even more success this year, along with any others that we may spontaneously come up with.

For anyone who hasn't heard it, BU's "Ole-Ole" cheer is incredibly memorable and very appropriate for the PK. That's just my separate opinion. We probably shouldn't copy them.

Posted by: A-ron (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 29, 2006 02:46PM

At Albany I saw a few Cornell fans doing the soccer clap for Topher. I have no idea how to possibly type the clap cadence but I'll try: clap-clap, clap-clap-clap, clap-clap-clap-clap, "TO-PHER!" At soccer games you put your hands in the air in a "prayin' to god" sorta motion while saying the name of the parson/team you're cheering for. I've done this in the Sam's Army section at US soccer games and it looks pretty damn cool. They have lots of variations of clapping and cheering poorly explained here: [www.sams-army.com]

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 29, 2006 07:09PM

Will

I've half-heartedly been putting forth "Ballroom Blitz" to honor Byron Bitz for a while now. Someone else on ELF wrote some lyrics a few years back for this. I guess all we need is a band arrangement of the song.
We do have an arrangement of it, actually, but it kinda sucks. (Hi Shorts!)

Posted by: WillR (209.2.89.---)
Date: April 29, 2006 10:28PM

I know this is not "new" but for Clarkson I think the Addams family song modified to fit the incestuous Clarkson family would work. If more than a soul knew the words someone here came up with it would work very well for Clarkson.

I think it was something to the effect of:

Your uncle is your bother
Sister is your mother
You all do one another
The Clarkson family.

I came up with a second verse at one point, though it eludes me right now. That aside, the reaction was positive and people readily got into the da-da-da-da clap-clap Dadada clapclap before heading into the second verse.

At the very least the refrain has wings, and thinking up another 2nd verse shouldn't be too hard.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: April 30, 2006 06:15AM

montague

Many years ago, Hobart lax fans used to singsong "Goal time!" when they went on the man up. I always liked that.

Posted by: Hillel Hoffmann (---.usb.temple.edu)
Date: May 02, 2006 09:12AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
montague

Many years ago, Hobart lax fans used to singsong "Goal time!" when they went on the man up. I always liked that.

I remember that. It was pretty intimidating. They really had the cadence down right. Nice and slow, in a teasing tone, the way you'd chant a goalie's name in hockey.

Posted by: HeafDog (---.hbo.com)
Date: May 04, 2006 06:43PM

A-ron
At Albany I saw a few Cornell fans doing the soccer clap for Topher. I have no idea how to possibly type the clap cadence but I'll try: clap-clap, clap-clap-clap, clap-clap-clap-clap, "TO-PHER!" At soccer games you put your hands in the air in a "prayin' to god" sorta motion while saying the name of the parson/team you're cheering for. I've done this in the Sam's Army section at US soccer games and it looks pretty damn cool. They have lots of variations of clapping and cheering poorly explained here: [www.sams-army.com]

*ahem* I'll take the credit for that one. It's nice and simple. And you have the cadence described correctly. Everyone already knows how that cadence goes, so please give it a shot next season -- I can't do it myself, since I'm no longer on campus. I really think it could catch on pretty easily. And it would be fitting whenever Topher takes the ice and we're otherwise not cheering anything at the moment.

Also, I believe it was Dustbin321 that suggested a great Sawada song to the tune of Guantanamera. That's in an old thread, from this past season sometime. The words were:

One Ray Sawada...
There's only one Ray Sawada...
One Ray Sa-WA-DAAAAA...
There's only one Ray Sawada...

It's absolutely beautiful. I can't wait until I hear that reverberating through the rafters of our barn or those other teams.

Lastly, I can't help but speak up on "Kill, Red, Kill"... I am really against that chant because it's a simple chant of three syllables, just like LGR. So, it sounds just like LGR, which we ALREADY chant incessantly during a game. We end up looking like UNH clones, like we can't muster any chants other than those consisting of three syllables.

However, seeing as how people seem to be so enamored of it, I'd like to at least suggest a modification: when we're on the PK, chant "HOOO-ooooohhhh" when the puck is in our defensive zone. When we clear it, we can revert back to the "Kill, Red, Kill"... But as soon as it's back in the zone, we go back to exhorting the Red to clear it with "HOOO-ooooohhhh". It's the same doorbell tune as "<school> sucks", but not necessarily the same tempo. All Yanks/Bosox rivalry threadjacking aside, they chant the same thing in the Yankee Stadium bleachers in the middle of their cowbell cheer. It sounds pretty good.

Date: May 04, 2006 09:30PM

HeafDog
Lastly, I can't help but speak up on "Kill, Red, Kill"... I am really against that chant because it's a simple chant of three syllables, just like LGR. So, it sounds just like LGR, which we ALREADY chant incessantly during a game. We end up looking like UNH clones, like we can't muster any chants other than those consisting of three syllables.

It's still better than the constant repetition of "{SCHOOL} sucks".

Posted by: HeafDog (---.hbo.com)
Date: May 05, 2006 02:38PM

Will
HeafDog

It's still better than the constant repetition of "{SCHOOL} sucks".

I won't argue with you on that...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login