Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Journal Article 04-15-06

Posted by CKinsland 
Journal Article 04-15-06
Posted by: CKinsland (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 15, 2006 08:59AM

Nice article in today's Ithaca Journal. They say the rink renovation is ahead of schedule (miracle of miracles...well, I'll be impressed if it finishes ahead of schedule, or even on schedule).

Well, poop, I can't find the link on the Journal website.

Schafer Quotes:

"That (Wisconsin) loss has hurt more...than any other game that I can remember in a long, long time. Two years in a row, the exact same situation, and I think it is so hard to get just to that point. To get to the quarterfinal, and an opportunity to win, it's extremely difficult. Two years in a row, so close. It's hard to get over it more than any other loss in our program. I was extremely proud of how hard our kids competed. They gave themselves an opportunity to win the game. We had our shot."

On player losses:

"Every year, you always say, 'how are your going to replace Daved LeNeveu? How are you going to replace Stephen Bâby? How can you replace Doug Murray?' You don't ever replace the personalities, but you have to replace the performance. We've been able to do that over the course of time. It all has to do with the seniors--Byron Bitz, Ryan O'Byrne, Mark McCutcheon, Danny Glover. All those guys coming into their prime. Byron Bitz was one of our best forwards down the stretch drive...And Mark McCutcheon had a breakout year. We expect them to grow, and the guys underneath them too. Raymond Sawada and Topher (Scott) and Sasha (Pokulok). All those guys to grow as players too."

Quote the journal:

"Shafer said he expects all the players on the roster to return..."

Shafer:

"It is always a concern, but in general conversations with everybody, everybody said they are ready to come back and ready to get better. I feel quite confident that those guys will be back. It is always a threat, obviously. But that is out of our control:

Shafer on scoring:

"Goals are always hard to come by. Last year, a lot of our power play was geared around (Moulson). You look down the road, you wonder if the power play will be more spread out, or if we will have one dominant goal scorer. Who knows. We have a lot of guys who are capable."

Shafer can't talk about individual recruits until deposits are in, but:

"We have a nice blend.. Some skill, size. We continue to follow the same pattern we have always followed. So when we play big, physical teams, we can compete, and when we play fast teams we can compete. You don't really want to corner yourself."

Games include Florida college classic vs. New Hampshire with W. Michigan and Maine in the other semifinal. Pair at home vs. Wayne St. Home vs Sacred Heart. 2 vs. Niagara, one at home, one TBD.

Shafer:

"It's not the strongest schedule. Seven (non-conference) games, it's just not going to happen. So we try to find a balance of traditionlly strong programs and home games. And the teams that are going to come in here are teams that will have success in their leagues (and those help in the Rating Percentage Index)."

They will start the season in Lynah if the concourse is complete even if construction continues on the locker rooms.

Journal: The student section, which is currently dividend into two parts, will likely be unified.

Shafer:

"That will bring even more atmosphere to the rink next year"

Re: Journal Article 04-15-06
Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 15, 2006 09:06AM

CKinsland
Pair at home vs. Wayne St. Home vs Sacred Heart. 2 vs. Niagara, one at home, one TBD.
uhoh

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: April 15, 2006 09:59AM

CKinsland
The student section, which is currently dividend into two parts, will likely be unified.

:-D :-D :-D :-D

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: April 15, 2006 12:10PM

CKinsland
Games include Florida college classic vs. New Hampshire with W. Michigan and Maine in the other semifinal. Pair at home vs. Wayne St. Home vs Sacred Heart. 2 vs. Niagara, one at home, one TBD.

Ugh.

You know, I can take the pair vs. Wayne State and another game against Sacred Heart (the second in three years). But we're playing another pair against Niagara, when we've theoretically already satisfied travel reciprocity?! Geez. 2007-08 with perhaps BU on the schedule can't get here soon enough.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 15, 2006 12:16PM

jmh30
CKinsland
Pair at home vs. Wayne St. Home vs Sacred Heart. 2 vs. Niagara, one at home, one TBD.
uhoh

< sigh >

Well at least we have Florida. UNH is a good one, and if the other is Maine, great (or even W. Michigan if they have a good year). And hopefully BU in the following years.

We've had a series of good home and homes the last few years - no powerhouses, although MSU maybe - plus W. Mich and OSU. Maine not that long ago, etc.

At least the ECAC has been stronger in the last few years. Hopefully that trend can continue - maybe Harvard can even get to a Beanpawt final rolleyes, Clarkson and SLU can keep improving, etc. That wouldn't hurt.

Still, its disappointing, they've set a very high bar for themselves in the win with that kind of strength of schedule.

Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: April 15, 2006 12:23PM

Will

Ugh.

You know, I can take the pair vs. Wayne State and another game against Sacred Heart (the second in three years). But we're playing another pair against Niagara, when we've theoretically already satisfied travel reciprocity?! Geez. 2007-08 with perhaps BU on the schedule can't get here soon enough.

The only reason I'm not too fond about playing Niagara is that they are due to steal one from us. They came very close last year when we had some of our worst defensive games of the season. Although they're not a powerhouse, they have a lot of offensive talent and with McKee gone they may smell blood in the water. Sacred Heart is much improved since we last saw them.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (205.232.74.---)
Date: April 15, 2006 12:40PM

This mickey mouse OOC schedule is getting ridiculous. I really hope the BU games happen in 07-08.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login