Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Attendance

Posted by KeithK 
Attendance
Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 31, 2006 06:35PM

There's a thread over at USCHO discussing attendance figures and it got me to thinking. Cornell is the lone school in the nation with exactly 100% attendance for the season (compared to capcity). Some are higher due to quirks like Quinnipiac playing games at Ingalls and the Hartford Civic Center and many are obviously lower. My question is this: do we actually believe that there are exactly 3836 tickets sold to every Cornell hockey game? Does every ticket that gets returned from opposing teams get sold day of game? What about player-comps, are those always the same number and are they counted as sold?

The exactness of the number just makes we wonder whether the ticket office just doesn't bother counting attendance anymroe. Everyone knows that Lynah is sold out, so why not just report the sold out figure automatically?

Hardly a big deal either way. Just idle thoughts on a Friday afternoon, trying not to think about having no goalies with NCAA experience next year. (Well, Davenport did have all of 9 minutes played...)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2006 06:54PM by KeithK.

Re: Attendence
Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: March 31, 2006 06:40PM

I think it's safe to assume there are at least 3836 people in the stands per game. Yes, I realize that isn't your question. ;-)

As long as the opposing team brings its unsold tickets to the game, either via mail or bus, I wouldn't find it in the least surprising that every ticket is sold.

Then again, I wouldn't find it in the least surprising if some enterprising young Art & Architecture student was ginning out counterfeit tickets, on identical stock and with correct perforation.

Re: Attendance
Posted by: ftyuv (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 01, 2006 12:22AM

Games that go on during break don't look sold out. Other than that, considering that there's always people outside Lynah trying to buy spare tickets, I'd guess the 100% figure is pretty much on.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: April 01, 2006 12:44AM

ftyuv
Games that go on during break don't look sold out. Other than that, considering that there's always people outside Lynah trying to buy spare tickets, I'd guess the 100% figure is pretty much on.
But the break games are listed as sellouts. the attendance stats show perfect attendance for the season (tickets sold anyway).

Posted by: ftyuv (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 01, 2006 12:58AM

KeithK
ftyuv
But the break games are listed as sellouts. the attendance stats show perfect attendance for the season (tickets sold anyway).

Actually, now that I think about it, doesn't Athletics sell extra game-day tickets for those games, assuming most students won't show up? If that's the case, we could get one of those weird situations where you sell more tickets than you have.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 01, 2006 02:15AM

The "attendance" is tickets sold. They sell every ticket for every game b/c pretty much the whole rink is season tickets. The few hundred tickets that aren't season tickets they can sell pretty easily.

Posted by: Townie (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 01, 2006 07:17AM

Jacob '06
The "attendance" is tickets sold. They sell every ticket for every game b/c pretty much the whole rink is season tickets. The few hundred tickets that aren't season tickets they can sell pretty easily.

Except for required visiting team seating and athletics' inventory, Lynah is all sold out season tickets. Playoffs are another issue as not all season ticket holders purchase playoff tickets (Clarkson folks in sections H/J).

There are also unticketed "guests" standing on the concourses and at the west end. Of course, there were many more standing comps before the fire drill incident this season.

And let's not ignore the students who exploit the magic marker attendance control protocol. I tend to be one who gives the benefit of the doubt in the absence of complete facts, but even my pre-teen children figured out how to defeat this one. Someone isn't paying attention.

Posted by: CKinsland (---.dsl1.nor.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 01, 2006 09:51AM

Well, I've snuck somebody into a game twice. Both times I had given away my husband's season ticket because he was supposed to be out of town, and he came back early. So, defeating the little-dot-of-color is ridiculously easy (even for the two games where they asked for the ticket stub and the color dot).

That said, it would be nice if people would make sure their tickets got used if they can't use them. It is sort of sad to see all those empty seats around the breaks.

I can understand not wanting to go to the bother of selling them. As a townie, I know lots of people who will be in town and don't have tickets, so I never have trouble finding a taker for my tickets if my husband (or, rarely, both of us) can't attend. I can accept that students may have a harder time with this since most of their peers are also out of town.

I heard rumors for a while that athletics was encouraging people to turn in their unused break tickets to give to youth hockey associations. Did I dream this, or was it a thing?

Perhaps some quasi-official way to surrender unused tickets would be a good idea. There are probably about a zillion legal issues that I am totally unaware of, but it would be nice not to leave those empty seats at "sold out" games.

CK

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: April 01, 2006 10:08AM

CKinsland
I heard rumors for a while that athletics was encouraging people to turn in their unused break tickets to give to youth hockey associations. Did I dream this, or was it a thing?

Yes, I recall that taking place.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 01, 2006 11:12AM

Will
CKinsland

Yes, I recall that taking place.

Yeah, I did it when it was an option (I think twice, maybe more?), except the one time I came up in the middle of winter break for the pair of games. Not sure why they stopped.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login