Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

CU-UW pre-game

Posted by trainbow 
CU-UW pre-game
Posted by: trainbow (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 25, 2006 09:55PM

Any thoughts about how the two teams match up?

LGR!

Re: CU-UW pre-game
Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 25, 2006 09:58PM

Very closely?

Sorry....too drained after today to offer anything of more substance at the moment.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.0.127.207.adsl.snet.net)
Date: March 25, 2006 09:59PM

Seems to me that this will be the first game of the season we're not expected to win! Hopefully this lack of pressure will give us an added boost!

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.0.127.199.adsl.snet.net)
Date: March 25, 2006 10:01PM

Since their debacle at Mankato, Wisconsin has allowed 6 goal... in seven games. Four of those were to NoDak in the WCHA Semis.

When they get a lead they lock it down and wait for a mistake to capitalize in transition.

Sound familiar yet? Oh yeah... they have a hobey finalist in net.

2 goals could very well win.

Posted by: TCHL8842 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 25, 2006 10:17PM

From the Post Game thread.

Now onto Wisconsin. From what I heard Wisconsin plays a similar style of play to us. Wisconsin plays the trap, and waits for errand passes and capitilizes on the other teams mistakes. Wisconsin will be a hard team to comeback on, so I think scoring first is critical for our success tomorrow. I knew Wisconsin gets better recruits, but I don't know how long they have been playing this defensive system. If it is the first year, we should be able to break down the trap by long passes. Besides this I don't know much about the Badgers, except Elliot is supoosedly an exceptional goalie.

Very similar team to us, but with supposedly better players. Defensive stylesm, Us-Left Wing Lock, Wisco (Trap) similar to the Devils if you watch them play. Trap is effective unless you are patient. Dump and chase will be our best option in this game. I dont know much about there D-men, but I doubt they match up size-wise with our forwards. This is where I think we will win the game. If we dump and win the battle in the corners, we should tire out there Dmen and hopefully open up opportunities in the 3rd period. I am predicting the first team to 2 will win it.

Posted by: Leebob (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 25, 2006 11:38PM

Just curious.... does Wisconsin usually play on Olympic or NHL ice?

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2006 11:40PM

Leebob
"Almost" Olympic (200x97)/

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 25, 2006 11:40PM

Leebob

[www.uscho.com]

Posted by: cth95 (---.a-315.westelcom.com)
Date: March 25, 2006 11:42PM

During UND-HC postgame, UND announcers said Wisconsin will have to step up their game if they are going to beat a tough Cornell team and get two WCHA teams in FF.
I appreciate their respect and hope that it is deserved.

Posted by: cth95 (---.a-315.westelcom.com)
Date: March 26, 2006 12:04AM

(From CC post game in case some people done looking there)

Congratulations to our band and fans. You may have been few, but you were loud enough for my friends and I to cheer along- Hey Bâby in the 1st, rounds of Davy, Sieve, it's all your fault cheers, cowbell, Alma Mater, Gary Glitter in the middle of the 3rd (commercial and announcers so couldn't hear at beginning of the 3rd).

Keep up the good work. You will have to all be at the top of your game to compete with the numerous Bucky fans.

Be proud, Be loud!! LGR!!!!!!

Posted by: trainbow (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 26, 2006 07:20AM

It's not quite dawn in Badgerland at the moment, so perhaps that's why the only online mention of Cornell's win in the Madison press I could find was a brief aside in an article about UW winning in Round 1.
The big behind-the-scenes story was that the Badgers benefited from the Minnesota loss: a team meeting Friday night right after UW watched the UMinn defeat made the point -- it could happen to us, too.
Even the Colorado press is rather silent about Cornell. From what I gather from the Denver and Colorado Springs online press, CC lost the game by not living up to their potential and getting very fatigued as the game progressed.
The only notable exception to the silence was a quote (on USCHO I believe) from the CC coach saying that Wisconsin may have trouble breaking out of their zone because Cornell plays so well against the boards.
Here's hoping the Madison press has a whole lot more to say about Cornell this evening.

Posted by: Townie (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2006 09:31AM

I think our conditioning will play a big part in this one. This is setting up to be similar to Albany, where we played our hearts out in the semi, were a little fatigued for the final, and our opponent had a relatively easy time of it in their semi.

It's tough to wear the other guy down when you're a little worn yourself. This is where leadership, heart and determination can make the difference.

LGR!!

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 26, 2006 11:21AM

trainbow
It's not quite dawn in Badgerland at the moment, so perhaps that's why the only online mention of Cornell's win in the Madison press I could find was a brief aside in an article about UW winning in Round 1.
The big behind-the-scenes story was that the Badgers benefited from the Minnesota loss: a team meeting Friday night right after UW watched the UMinn defeat made the point -- it could happen to us, too.
Even the Colorado press is rather silent about Cornell. From what I gather from the Denver and Colorado Springs online press, CC lost the game by not living up to their potential and getting very fatigued as the game progressed.
The only notable exception to the silence was a quote (on USCHO I believe) from the CC coach saying that Wisconsin may have trouble breaking out of their zone because Cornell plays so well against the boards.
Here's hoping the Madison press has a whole lot more to say about Cornell this evening.

Uh oh! Where's RichS! He must go to the national news media immediately and tell them that there is bias going on in the local sporting press! For if seeing things from your perspective is a crime on a team's forum, it is certainly a national emergency in the local press!

Please, Rich S, save our country!

rolleyes

Posted by: redGrinch (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 26, 2006 11:44AM

trainbow
Perhaps the Badgerland press should go interview Mazzoleni (Harvard's former coach), who now coaches the Green Bay Gamblers, for how hard it is to beat Cornell.

Posted by: dbilmes (---.0.127.207.adsl.snet.net)
Date: March 26, 2006 12:07PM

trainbow

Here's the actual quote, as reported this morning in the Green Bay newspaper:

Colorado College coach Scott Owens, who was 0-3-1 against the Badgers as a Western Collegiate Hockey Association rival, predicts a "great game."

"They are actually somewhat similar teams," Owens said. "(Cornell is) physical. They are very good along the boards. Cornell is one of the best teams I've seen along the boards. I think (UW) could have a little bit of trouble there with breaking the puck out against them. However, they are pretty big and thick themselves. I think it will be a great game."

Posted by: dford'94 (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 26, 2006 12:55PM

It is always amazing to me the conditioning edge that Cornell has. It goes back to Coach and the type of players that he recruits...hard workers, selfless players who understand their roles completely. That being said, Bucky is a bigger, more talented version of Cornell. Better talent playing essentially the same system. This is a game that could very well come down to coaching and conditioning, areas where we always seem to have the edge. I have always beleived that big games are won by depth, third and fourth lines and fifth and sixth defensemen. Usually our guys play regular shifts and the other teams short shift or double shift their best talent. I think we have a great chance tonight, maybe better than last year. I just wish the game was anywhere but in Wisconsin....

Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 26, 2006 01:00PM

dford'94
That being said, Bucky is a bigger

I think if anything, we actually have the edge in size.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: March 26, 2006 01:09PM

dford'94
our guys play regular shifts and the other teams short shift or double shift their best talent. I think we have a great chance tonight, maybe better than last year. I just wish the game was anywhere but in Wisconsin....

This is especially true of the second game in two days.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2006 01:34PM

DeltaOne81

Uh oh! Where's RichS! He must go to the national news media immediately and tell them that there is bias going on in the local sporting press! For if seeing things from your perspective is a crime on a team's forum, it is certainly a national emergency in the local press!

[www.theonion.com]

Posted by: Mike K (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 26, 2006 01:40PM

Alright so here is what i see with wisconsin.

I look at things like they lost to st. lawerence and only beat the u.s 18 and under team 6-5 and actually was very fortunate to win that game considering they took their first lead with 40 seconds left. I look at that, and say hey, we have a good chance. But then I look at how they kicked the shit out of some really good teams and then think, we dont have much of a chance.

It should be a good game. Seniors last chance to make it back to the frozen four and win the national championship.

LGR!!!!! (Cornell Big red that is)

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2006 01:42PM

dford'94
I think we have a great chance tonight, maybe better than last year. I just wish the game was anywhere but in Wisconsin....
Agree on both counts. This year, at least, we're not playing on oversized ice.

Posted by: Oat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2006 01:57PM

Wisconsin is gonna have us for dinner tonight. There's absolutely nothing we can do except looking forward to next year help I'm gonna go drown my sorrows in alcohol

Posted by: redliner (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 26, 2006 02:02PM

is Cornell playing on the standard ice rink size of 200x85?

edit- spelling and clarification
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2006 02:13PM by redliner.

Date: March 26, 2006 02:05PM

Oat
Wisconsin is gonna have us for dinner tonight. There's absolutely nothing we can do except looking forward to next year help I'm gonna go drown my sorrows in alcohol

Reverse woofing doesn't count. If that's what you were going for.

There's no doubt that Wisconsin is the favorite today. KRACH has them at 67% odds. But if you look at that, it means we'd win 1 game in every 3 we play agains them, and there's no reason that that can't be today (and there's no reason that today can't be one of the other two either). We need to play our game, and it'll be an interesting match up to watch. LGR!

Date: March 26, 2006 02:10PM

redliner
is it the standard ice rink sise of 200x85?

Yes.

Posted by: nr53 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2006 04:23PM

Does anyone know if Wisconsin's top two (three?) forwards play on the same line or do they spread the wealth around more?

Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 26, 2006 04:26PM

nr53
Does anyone know if Wisconsin's top two (three?) forwards play on the same line or do they spread the wealth around more?

Yes they play on the same line Earl-Pavelski-Burrish, and account for 40% of Wisconsin's goals.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login