Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

NYC viewing?

Posted by John Annese '97 
NYC viewing?
Posted by: John Annese '97 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2006 12:10PM

Any plans to watch in NYC this weekend?

Re: NYC viewing?
Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 13, 2006 02:48PM

Good luck to anyone trying to watch in a sports bar with all the hoops games on.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 13, 2006 03:06PM

The Riviera has always been willing to give up one of the 10 or so small screens behind the bar.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 13, 2006 03:13PM

billhoward
Good luck to anyone trying to watch in a sports bar with all the hoops games on.

This is the permaproblem with the ECACs running square against the round of 32. At least with all of NYC to choose from, you are bound to find one restaurant bar owned by a Hotelie who will have nothing else on. :-}

Posted by: matth (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2006 12:19AM

HELL YEAH! I was just about to start a post asking the same thing. The problem is that Friday is St. Pat's day, and every bar is going to be mobbed. The game doesnt start until 8:00, so hopefully all of the under age kids from Jersey and LI will be on their way back home by then

I am going to call a few places and see if they can accomodate - possibly the Hairy Monk on 25th and 3rd.

Stay tuned, I will post back with some suggestions. In the meantime, if anyone else has a suggestion please email me.

GO BIG RED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.walngs01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 14, 2006 08:21AM

Not that I'll be able to go, but you might want to give Ship of Fools a call. There have been gatherings there in the past, and the owners are great people. They may not be able to show the game due to the aforementioned BBall, or they may require a minimum party to put it on, but they've been pretty flexible in the past.

Posted by: Jerseygirl (209.191.246.---)
Date: March 14, 2006 10:06AM

Goddammit, are there any NYC places that will be showing the game that *aren't* Red Sox bars? Anyone with an apartment and a big screen? I'll bring the beer...

Date: March 14, 2006 10:45AM

Jerseygirl
Goddammit, are there any NYC places that will be showing the game that *aren't* Red Sox bars? Anyone with an apartment and a big screen? I'll bring the beer...

Does it really matter during the offseason? :-) I'd be more concerned about being crushed by closet Duke basketball fans.

Date: March 14, 2006 11:39AM

Yes. We're giving money to establishments in New York City that facilitate, nay, encourage, Red Sox fandom. Some people do not have a problem with that, but I do. And yes, I also know that looks ridiculous typed out.

Posted by: dsr11 (12.144.26.---)
Date: March 14, 2006 11:44AM

What's wrong with the Red Sox? And Jersey (ok, there is a LOT wrong with Jersey). I guess I'm just doubly screwed, I'm a Sox fan LIVING in New Jersey (it's only temporary, thankfully!).

I fully encourage supporting Red Sox bars in NYC, I'm tired of watching games in NYC with a bunch of drunken, idiotic Yankees fans.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2006 11:44AM by dsr11.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 14, 2006 11:55AM

dsr11
What's wrong with the Red Sox? And Jersey (ok, there is a LOT wrong with Jersey). I guess I'm just doubly screwed, I'm a Sox fan LIVING in New Jersey (it's only temporary, thankfully!).

I fully encourage supporting Red Sox bars in NYC, I'm tired of watching games in NYC with a bunch of drunken, idiotic Yankees fans.
What's wrong with the Red Sox? It's farkin' NEW YORK! Anyone wearing a Red Sox cap or other apparel in the city should be given 30 seconds to prove that he is not a resident of NYC before being summarily flogged. The non-residents get a 30 second head start.

Date: March 14, 2006 11:55AM

Red Sox fans are just as bad, you just don't notice when they're rooting for your team. I can appreciate the primitiveness of Yankees fans because while we may cheer for the same team, they're also hooting at my chest while standing in the beer line. Ugh. Overly tanned cretins in tank tops.

The last time I was in the Riviera (not of my own volition), I couldn't help but crack a smile as the Orioles beat the Sox in late innings. Some girl, who was rather husky and would have put up a good fight if it had come down to it, took exception to my joy and was content to make eye contact with me and mouth off from across the room, yet actively avoided even looking at me as she walked by my table on the way to the ladies' room. Being on a first date, I certainly wasn't looking to get into it with someone, but come on, you can't respect that.

I like Jersey, though.

Date: March 14, 2006 11:57AM

Let's not even mention all the bandwagon fans in the city who smugly donned the scarlet B after the 2004 debacle.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 14, 2006 12:02PM

Jerseygirl
Yes. We're giving money to establishments in New York City that facilitate, nay, encourage, Red Sox fandom. Some people do not have a problem with that, but I do. And yes, I also know that looks ridiculous typed out.

Yes it does :-P I hate the Yankees about as much as anyone, but this isn't a religion or politics even. I'm not going to go buying Yankees paraphenalia to give my money to Georgie boy (even if it would be to burn the stuff), but "giving money to establishments that facilitate, nay, encourage" is a phrase that should end with terrorism, or dictatorships, or *maybe* politics... but not sports.

Date: March 14, 2006 12:07PM

The Riviera has always accomodated me and on weekdays they have half price drinks before 7 PM. Not so useful this year with the 8 PM game but I plan to ge there for the end of the first game and a few cheep beers. I had a fun time watching the 2004 Harvard-Maine NCAA game next to four Maine alums. As they grew more depressed I kept their spirits up with tales of Harvard's inability to play 60 minutes of hockey.

Who goes to the Riv on a date? nut

Posted by: Beeeej (38.136.58.---)
Date: March 14, 2006 12:18PM

Jerseygirl
Let's not even mention all the bandwagon fans in the city who smugly donned the scarlet B after the 2004 debacle.

You really want to put down "bandwagon fans" in the same breath as defending the Yankees...?

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Nathan Chicowdy 92 (66.28.239.---)
Date: March 14, 2006 12:44PM

What network / station is showing Friday's game?

Posted by: mk345 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: March 14, 2006 12:55PM

You can subscribe online for a sports package to see playoff games. I think it's 6.95/game, maybe there is a discount for a batch. On TV, it will be most likely CSTV who will air the games.

Just wondering, those people who are planning to get together for Cornell games viewing, when did/will you graduate?

Posted by: RichH (---.cttel.net)
Date: March 14, 2006 01:04PM

Beeeej
Jerseygirl

You really want to put down "bandwagon fans" in the same breath as defending the Yankees...?

To steer this tired topic to a different direction, may I remind you that Cornell hockey fans are generally seen around the league to be as annoying as typical Sox/Yanks fans. People either love us or hate us, there's no middle ground.

Good. :-D

Date: March 14, 2006 01:05PM

Re: Delta- yeah, I know. I was being deliberately hyperbolic. I mean, I really do feel that way, but I generally agree with your usage issue, if I were reading that as someone being completely serious (which I don't think I ever am on these fora). I show my opposition to ideas, paradigms, governments, laws, and yes, sports teams etc. by withholding my insignificant amount of money.

Re: nyc94- a cop who wants to see if the crazy chick he chatted up in the bar the prior weekend was really as much of a Yankees fanatic as she claimed.

Re: Beeeej- As someone who's been a Yankees fan as long as she's known what a baseball is, I have no moral dilemma calling out bandwagon Red Sox fans.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: March 14, 2006 01:05PM

RichH
People either love us or hate us, there's no middle ground.
Except at Princeton, where the last semblance of a pulse was reported in the 60s.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 14, 2006 01:10PM

CowbellGuy
RichH
Except at Princeton, where the last semblance of a pulse was reported in the 60s.
Not entirely. I have fond memories of sending some older Princeton fans scurrying away because our group was too vocal and energetic in our cheering.

Posted by: RichH (---.cttel.net)
Date: March 14, 2006 01:10PM

CowbellGuy
RichH

That also explains how up they are with the playoff terminology. After I read the headline, I immediately began waiting for the 4 horsemen:

[www.dailyprincetonian.com]

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Posted by: Jacob 03 (---.carlsl01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 14, 2006 05:23PM

DeltaOne81
...but "giving money to establishments that facilitate, nay, encourage" is a phrase that should end with terrorism, or dictatorships, or *maybe* politics... but not sports.

I refuse to give money to establishments that facilitate or encourage cockfighting. And that's the sport of kings.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 14, 2006 05:27PM

Jacob 03
DeltaOne81
...but "giving money to establishments that facilitate, nay, encourage" is a phrase that should end with terrorism, or dictatorships, or *maybe* politics... but not sports.

I refuse to give money to establishments that facilitate or encourage cockfighting. And that's the sport of kings.

Horse racing is the sport of kings. Cockfighting is the sport of queens. Get it? Queens?

Posted by: Rich S (12.162.105.---)
Date: March 14, 2006 05:36PM

Trotsky
[

Horse racing is the sport of kings. Cockfighting is the sport of queens. Get it? Queens?

Interesting but...

Aqueduct and Belmont are both in....Queens.

Get it ? :-D

Posted by: ftyuv (---.c3-0.43d-ubr13.qens-43d.ny.cable.rcn.com)
Date: March 17, 2006 10:45PM

Sorry for the bump, but... did any viewing parties end up happening? I just got into the city, and there's a good chance I'll be free tomorrow evening. I'd love to sit down at some bar with some fellow Cornellians to watch the game.

I'm a proud Masshole, so Red Sox-friendly bars are okay by me ;)

LGR!

Posted by: moskcraig (---.new-york-06rh15-16rt.ny.dial-access.att.net)
Date: March 18, 2006 04:37AM

Let's get as many Faithful at Ship of Fools 82nd and 2nd) as possible. Who's in? Who can get there early, say 7:15, to make sure we're set up with at least one well-placed TV? (Not me, only gametime arrival possible). Anybody want to volunteer to call the bar in the afternoon to set things up? We may have to agree to buy a minimum of $25 of drinks, etc. per Faithful. Good negotiators and ILRees, please step up. LGR!

Date: March 18, 2006 11:56AM

Yikes, the idea of a minimum drink cover doesn't appeal to me -- I'm just a lowly undergrad trying to save money. Anyway if other people plan to be there and there's not a high cover (including minimum drinks), I'll be there. I'd rather not be the one to set something up, though, cause I suck at negotiations (in case we'd need to).

Date: March 18, 2006 12:00PM

There are only two 8 PM NCAA basketball games tonight so getting a television should be less of a problem.

Posted by: Greenberg '97 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 18, 2006 02:45PM

Rich S
Trotsky
[

Interesting but...

Aqueduct and Belmont are both in....Queens.

Get it ? :-D

For the record, Belmont is in Elmont, Long Island. But your point is well-taken.

Posted by: Greenberg '97 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 18, 2006 02:47PM

Is ship of fools confirmed for tonight? Otherwise, what channel is it on if I want to persuade my own local sports bar?

Date: March 18, 2006 03:58PM

I just called them, and they said they'll be showing it. So I'll be there. LGR!

Posted by: matt (---.ny5030.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 18, 2006 06:00PM

any idea whether theyll let in under 21s? Im also a lowly undergrad with no place to watch the red win tonight...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login