Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

OT: US-Finland Online Feed POSSIBLE SPOILERS

Posted by Trotsky 
OT: US-Finland Online Feed POSSIBLE SPOILERS
Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: February 22, 2006 10:22AM

Has anyone discovered an online audio feed? (Even just the normal 'cast of some Joe Shmoe station somehwere along the Westwood One network.)
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2006 11:31AM by Trotsky.

Re: OT: US-Finland 11:30 AM EST
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: February 22, 2006 10:35AM

Dunno about a feed, but you can follow the game via the chat at [internationalhockeygang.org]

SUI-SWE underway -- HOPP SCHWIIZ!!!

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: February 22, 2006 10:37AM

If it's "Schwiiz" (GER) why is it "Sui" (FR)? And what is it in Romansh? screwy

Posted by: Pete Godenschwager (---.chem.cornell.edu)
Date: February 22, 2006 10:50AM

[www.1460thefan.com] is on the Westwood One list of stations that are supposed to carry the game, I'm listening to it right now. The game isn't listed on the website's schedule, though. We'll see if they switch over.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2006 10:52AM by Pete Godenschwager.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: February 22, 2006 10:52AM

Trotsky
If it's "Schwiiz" (GER) why is it "Sui" (FR)? And what is it in Romansh? screwy

It's because the Olympics are Francophile by nature. Names for Switzerland:

German: Schweiz
Swiss German: Schwiiz
French: Suisse
Italian: Svizzera
Romansh: Svizzra
English: Switzerland
Latin (official name of country): Confoederatio Helvetica

Actually, the designated ISO 3166 abbreviation is CHE, not SUI, but it's much more common to see CH or SUI.

Posted by: cth95 (---.a-315.westelcom.com)
Date: February 22, 2006 11:06AM

"Schwiiz" or "Schwyz" is just from the Swiss-German dialect for "Switzerland". There is no written version of this language that I know of. When people write in Swiss-German I think they are basically writing phonetically. In German it is actually "Schweiz". "Suisse" is the French version. I assume "Suisse" is used in the Olympics because the two official international languages are French and English, like on our passports. In Romanch it is similar to the Italian "Svizzera" and is written "Svizra". How did you know about Romanch? That is a very obscure language, which seems to blend Italian and German.

I spent 6 months on an exchange program to Switzerland in '97, living with 6 different farm families for 3 weeks a piece. It is an absolutely beautiful country, and the people were great to me. I was able to learn German fairly quickly (both "high" German and a little of the Swiss version) which made long nights at bars and parties much more enjoyable and I had an amazing time. I still am good friends with a guy who is an avid hockey fan. He follows both the Swiss leagues and the NHL and I think has seen Knoepfli play. I just sent him an e-mail with "Hopp Schwiiz!!" as the subject line after the win over Canada.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: February 22, 2006 11:25AM

Are you going to put scores in this thread? If you are, you might want to tag the thread title as such in case anybody is recording this game to watch later.

Date: February 22, 2006 11:31AM

jmh30
Are you going to put scores in this thread? If you are, you might want to tag the thread title as such in case anybody is recording this game to watch later.

Good point. ALL: Please do not post scores on the thread as a favor to those recording the games.

I have put a spoiler alert in the thread title in case somebody is inconsiderate.

Date: February 22, 2006 11:33AM

Pete Godenschwager
http://www.1460thefan.com is on the Westwood One list of stations that are supposed to carry the game, I'm listening to it right now. The game isn't listed on the website's schedule, though. We'll see if they switch over.
They haven't switched over, and I now recall whey I hated Colin Cowherd so much when he did his mind-dumbingly boring schtick as a local yokel in Portland.

Posted by: RichH (---.cttel.net)
Date: February 22, 2006 11:36AM

cth95
How did you know about Romanch? That is a very obscure language, which seems to blend Italian and German.

Well, you know Greg...intelligentsia of the obscure. :-)

I just sent him an e-mail with "Hopp Schwiiz!!" as the subject line after the win over Canada.

I would've guessed this was JTW with another identity, but he didn't write this post in Swiss-German.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2006 11:38AM by RichH.

Date: February 22, 2006 11:37AM

Trotsky
Pete Godenschwager
http://www.1460thefan.com is on the Westwood One list of stations that are supposed to carry the game, I'm listening to it right now. The game isn't listed on the website's schedule, though. We'll see if they switch over.
They haven't switched over, and I now recall whey I hated Colin Cowherd so much when he did his mind-dumbingly boring schtick as a local yokel in Portland.

I still haven't warmed up to him, I liked Kornheiser a lot better in that spot.

Re: OT: US-Finland Online Feed POSSIBLE SPOILERS
Date: February 22, 2006 11:40AM

TK rocks.

Posted by: Rita (---.agry.purdue.edu)
Date: February 22, 2006 11:47AM

Pete Godenschwager
Trotsky
Pete Godenschwager

Ditto. Mr. Tony was awesome. I enjoyed waking up to him when living in OR. It was a very sad day when the local sports network decided to cater to the 18-22 frat boys (and not to geeky science post-docs) and replaced Mr. Tony with Jim Rome.

So www.1460thefan.com isn't carrying the game. Any other leads?? I have a feeling that Westwood One won't let their affliates carry the on line feed of the game. At least with the Chicago area station that have internet feeds, they do the "audio black out" with MLB, and Notre Dame games.

Bummer. :-(

Date: February 22, 2006 11:51AM

I tried a couple other stations that were on the list provided by Westwood One, and none of them have the game.

Date: February 22, 2006 11:53AM

I tried some last week for one of the pre-liminary games and had no luck. I mainly focused on those stations in Hockey-friendly areas. I do not have time try that today.

Date: February 22, 2006 11:54AM

Colin will say something interesting, but then to back it up he will just say it again about 15 times in about 4 different ways. If he made his points just once, his show would be about 15 minutes long. I definitely miss Kornheiser.

Date: February 22, 2006 11:56AM

Rita
Pete Godenschwager
Trotsky
Pete Godenschwager

Ditto. Mr. Tony was awesome. I enjoyed waking up to him when living in OR. It was a very sad day when the local sports network decided to cater to the 18-22 frat boys (and not to geeky science post-docs) and replaced Mr. Tony with Jim Rome.

So www.1460thefan.com isn't carrying the game. Any other leads?? I have a feeling that Westwood One won't let their affliates carry the on line feed of the game. At least with the Chicago area station that have internet feeds, they do the "audio black out" with MLB, and Notre Dame games.

Bummer. :-(

Started running through the other W1 stations and so far none of them are carrying it. Then again, I cou;dn't even find a WFAN online feed off their website, so I'm not the one to try.

Mr Tony's on the Mt. Rushmore of brilliant post-TV-dominance-niche radio personalities, along with Jean Shephard, Steve Sommers, and a player to be named later. Exposes the faddish Imus/Stern dumbassery for what it is.

Date: February 22, 2006 11:56AM

I just tried quite a few, but most do not have web feeds, and the couple I did find didn't work right so I couldn't hear them anyway.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: February 22, 2006 11:58AM

Trotsky
Mr Tony's on the Mt. Rushmore of brilliant post-TV-dominance-niche radio personalities, along with Jean Shephard, Steve Sommers, and a player to be named later. Exposes the faddish Imus/Stern dumbassery for what it is.
Imus rules. It's an absurd mischaracterization to group him with Stern.

Date: February 22, 2006 12:20PM

Trotsky

I hope doing Monday Night Football, does not cause Mr. Tony to fall from this lofty perch (ala Dennis Miller). Though I'm wondering, will Mr. Tony be able to stay awake for the whole game, especially those really bad games like the 42-0 Seahawk - Eagle game from early December?

Date: February 22, 2006 12:31PM

jmh30
Trotsky
Imus rules. It's an absurd mischaracterization to group him with Stern.

Stern is a talented showman with a very tired act. Imus is a talentless buffoon with industry connections. But yes, it is probably unfair to group them.

Date: February 22, 2006 12:42PM

Rita
Trotsky

I hope doing Monday Night Football, does not cause Mr. Tony to fall from this lofty perch (ala Dennis Miller). Though I'm wondering, will Mr. Tony be able to stay awake for the whole game, especially those really bad games like the 42-0 Seahawk - Eagle game from early December?

He's wondering, too. In fact, his entire schitck (although to some degree I think there's some truth to it) is that he assumes he'll fail within the first 6 shows and be booted.

He won't last more than two years. If Floritexazona didn't get Dennis Miller's hammer-to-the-forehead-pseudointellectual schtick, when they at least shared his politics, they sure as hell won't get TK's "cranky old Nassau County suburban naming-dropping Jewish do you know who I AM?! mench" persona. It's even more insular.

They're assuming that (1) PTI will translate TK's fame to MNF (it won't) and (2) TK will pull in a young-hipster audience (well younger and hipper than Al Michaels, anyway.... ;-)

Anybody who thinks John Stewart is funny cannot succeed in the MNF booth, given the Bud-and-Chevy demographics.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (12.42.45.---)
Date: February 22, 2006 01:03PM

A couple of points on Mr. Tony:

First, and most importantly, if you're still missing him, you can listen live from 9am - 1 pm (2 hour show that repeats from 11-1) at [www.wtem.com] I too lamented his leaving ESPN Radio, and am forever indebted to my cousin for pointing me to the webcast of his local show. Unfortunately, (although this was ditched from the ESPN radio feed long before he went off the air), there is no "web feed" of the commercial breaks, which was quite possibly the greatest part of the TK Show.

He's wondering, too. In fact, his entire schitck (although to some degree I think there's some truth to it) is that he assumes he'll fail within the first 6 shows and be booted.

That was (and always is) his schtick with PTI as well. Seems like he's done alright for himself there.

Finally, if we're getting into mischaracterizations for sake of comparison, I think Dennis Miller/Mr. Tony is as egregious as Imus/Stern.

And, as always boys and girls, if you’re out on your bikes tonight, do wear white...

Posted by: Jordan 04 (12.42.45.---)
Date: February 22, 2006 01:05PM

Started running through the other W1 stations and so far none of them are carrying it. Then again, I cou;dn't even find a WFAN online feed off their website, so I'm not the one to try.

If you do happen to find that WFAN online feed, you'll be the first person ever to do so, so you'll have to let us know. ;-)

OT: Sports Personalities
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: February 22, 2006 01:20PM

Give me Dan and Casey any day.

Date: February 22, 2006 01:38PM

Jordan 04
And, as always boys and girls, if you’re out on your bikes tonight, do wear white...

"I find him objectionable on almost every level...." ;-)

Date: February 22, 2006 01:50PM

Jordan 04
A couple of points on Mr. Tony:

First, and most importantly, if you're still missing him, you can listen live from 9am - 1 pm (2 hour show that repeats from 11-1) at [www.wtem.com] I too lamented his leaving ESPN Radio, and am forever indebted to my cousin for pointing me to the webcast of his local show. Unfortunately, (although this was ditched from the ESPN radio feed long before he went off the air), there is no "web feed" of the commercial breaks, which was quite possibly the greatest part of the TK Show.

That was (and always is) his schtick with PTI as well. Seems like he's done alright for himself there.

Finally, if we're getting into mischaracterizations for sake of comparison, I think Dennis Miller/Mr. Tony is as egregious as Imus/Stern.

I'm sorry, I did not mean to imply that Mr. Tony and Dennis Miller are in the same league talent-wise. *I* just have not heard much from/about Dennis Miller since his MNF gig. I think Miller has a news show on CNBC or one of those stations, but other than that he has dropped off my radar. Though I should admit I'm not that up on pop culture, movies etc.

I really hope that Mr. Tony does have a successful run on MNF. However, as I think Trotsky pointed out, Mr. Tony may not be all that funny to others not in the NY-DC corridor. Maybe during the blowouts he will get to do "old guy radio". :-}

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 22, 2006 02:02PM

I don't think Dennis Miller is very good at improv. If you see him on different talk shows within a short window of time you see that he recycles his jokes, even jokes from his stand up act. And during his short lived CNBC show he was at his best during the monologue (i.e. prepared segment) rather than during the panel discussion or interview segments. Some of his quips during MNF were quite funny but it just isn't his format. I wouldn't blame his demise on the audience.

Date: February 22, 2006 02:07PM

nyc94
I don't think Dennis Miller is very good at improv.

Has Miller been good at *anything* since Weekend Update? yark

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 22, 2006 03:33PM

Trotsky
nyc94

The cinematic genius of Bordello of Blood? uhoh

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: February 22, 2006 04:59PM

Trotsky
nyc94

I saw him in concert a few years ago and he was terrific. When able to follow his own script he was hilarious.

Date: February 22, 2006 05:12PM

KeithK
I saw him in concert a few years ago and he was terrific. When able to follow his own script he was hilarious.

I'll take your word on it. I've seen his TV specials. All his jokes are the same, so the first one's somewhat funny and then the next hundred become tedious to the point of driving spikes through your eyes (c.f., Drew Carrey and Al Franken). And the delivery... you'd think maybe he'd have learned a slightly new bit in the 300 years since he was with SNL.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2006 05:12PM by Trotsky.

Re: OT: Sports Personalities
Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 22, 2006 08:14PM

jtwcornell91
Give me Dan and Casey any day.
Fictional sportscasters are the best sportscasters?

Re: OT: Sports Personalities
Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: February 22, 2006 08:39PM

[q]Fictional sportscasters are the best sportscasters?[/q]One of my best TV football game watchin experiences was back in the 80s when NBC decided to show one game with no announcers. They just miked the field. Great way to watch a game. (I don't remember whether they used screen graphics or not.)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login