Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Harvard Sucks

Posted by Josh '99 
Harvard Sucks
Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: November 08, 2005 11:29AM

banana

Re: Harvard Sucks
Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (---.unwired-grad.wm.edu)
Date: November 08, 2005 11:30AM

Yes they do!

I'll see your banana, and raise you bananabanana

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.rgv.res.rr.com)
Date: November 08, 2005 12:12PM

Someone should make a dancing red banana with a HARVARD SUCKS sign.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: BCrespi (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 08, 2005 12:45PM

If anybody cares, Harvard sucks even further as the Cornell University Rugby Football Club beat Harvard at our new pitch this weekend to advance to the final 4 of the Northeast regional.

LGR

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: November 08, 2005 12:56PM

Further evidence of Harvard's suckitude is always welcome.

Dartmouth swallows.

Posted by: redhair34 (---.public.cornell.edu)
Date: November 08, 2005 01:15PM

Posted by: Killer (---.fidelity.com)
Date: November 08, 2005 01:57PM

As a former rugger, albeit only while in grad school, I care. Thanks for the update.

Posted by: XXX (---.fas.harvard.edu)
Date: November 08, 2005 02:40PM

Students from Harvard could care less about Harvard/ Cornell hockey...Dartmouth and Yale are much bigger rivals. Can anyone provide insight as to why this is a one sided rivalry? Is there a history?

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: November 08, 2005 02:43PM

[Q]XXX Wrote:

Students from Harvard could care less about Harvard/ Cornell hockey...Dartmouth and Yale are much bigger rivals. Can anyone provide insight as to why this is a one sided rivalry? Is there a history? [/q]

There's certainly a history, though I'll leave it to others to explain that. I can understand the Yale rivalry, what with The Game and all. But Dartmouth? Why?

Posted by: Killer (---.fidelity.com)
Date: November 08, 2005 02:48PM

[Q]XXX Wrote:

Students from Harvard could care less about Harvard/ Cornell hockey...Dartmouth and Yale are much bigger rivals. Can anyone provide insight as to why this is a one sided rivalry? Is there a history? [/q]

So then why so few students at the recent Dartmouth game? I was there. They weren't.

Posted by: jbeaber1998 (---.MCB.Berkeley.EDU)
Date: November 08, 2005 03:33PM

Recent years Harvard has seemed to care a bit. When I first lived in Boston in fall of 98, Lynah east would be almost entirely Cornell. When I left Boston in 2004, it was much closer to 50/50. Their fans were coming out for that game, not many others from what I saw. I thnk they care now, if only because the atmosphere there for that game is actually fun!

Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: November 08, 2005 03:37PM

[Q]redhair34 Wrote:

[/q]

Hmm, so for signs, do I go with "YACEY'S MOM HAS GOT IT GOING ON" or "SWALLOW SWALLOWS"?

Date: November 08, 2005 03:38PM

[Q]jbeaber1998 Wrote:

Recent years Harvard has seemed to care a bit. When I first lived in Boston in fall of 98, Lynah east would be almost entirely Cornell. When I left Boston in 2004, it was much closer to 50/50. Their fans were coming out for that game, not many others from what I saw. I thnk they care now, if only because the atmosphere there for that game is actually fun![/q]

Wouldn't you want a chance to see the team that loses in the first round of the NCAAs every year?

Re: Harvard Sucks - there but for the grace ...
Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 08, 2005 03:41PM

Harvard fans probably cross themselves whenever Cornell skates on the ice, or shows up in force in Boston. Our being there reminds them of that darkest Cantabridgean fear, that a computer error wrongly sent out the thick envelope from Harvard Admissions, and through some kind of Groundhog Day mixup they'll live their college years over again but in Ithaca, or Providence, or Middlebury ... and they'll have to earn those A's.

Cornell alums don't have that fear. Only that nightmare when we come back on campus that we still have due that last required paper for graduation.

Date: November 08, 2005 04:02PM

[Q]XXX Wrote:

Yale, yes. Dartmouth? In what, Divison I-AA Drinking?

Nothing compares to football among the Harvard community, but hockey is second, with Cornell and the Beanpot the main source of what little energy the students can manage after an entire day saving the world one joint at a time in the Square.

Posted by: RichH (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: November 08, 2005 04:10PM

[Q]XXX Wrote:

Snarky comments aside, this is a fair question. (Although if you could care less, that implies that you do care some...sorry...pet peeve)

Frankly, there's little argument to infiltrate the all-encompassing grandness of the Harvard-Yale rivalry. I can't say from first-hand experience, but it's a hunch that it exists in some form in all aspects of campus life. From centuries old New England academic superiority that no doubt crosses over to the legendary gridiron rivalry. (Personally, Army-Navy and Harvard-Yale are my 2 favorite football rivalries). As much as it burns Princetonians, who so desperately want to be included, Harvard-Yale is about as great and storied a rivalry as one could hope for.

When only considering Men's Ice Hockey, however, it's been a 2 horse race for the better part of 40 years now. A back-of-the-envelope tabulation of Ivy League hockey championships since the formal organization of the Ivy League in 1956-57:

Harvard	   19
Cornell    18
Yale        6
Brown       5
Dartmouth   5
Princeton   1
Penn        0
Columbia    What Me Worry?

Source: [ivyleaguesports.com]

As you can see, it's obvious there are 2 dominant programs. Two heavyweights butting heads for that long...there's going to be a lot of hate. On the Cornell campus, hockey is the marquee sport. Not so in Cambridge. The result? A so-called (for the fans) one-sided rivalry.

That said, CU teams, fans, and Canadian recruiting practices have often succeeded in giving sports writers from the Crimson fits. Besides the now infamous Volonnino article, this has been going on for decades. Credit to Scersk '97 for his research this past spring:

fans, Lynah
[www.thecrimson.com]

Attendance, 9300
[www.thecrimson.com]

One of First griping on Canada
[www.thecrimson.com]

Harvard being outcheered
[www.thecrimson.com]

Sour Grapes on our National Title
[www.thecrimson.com]

reference to frats and ag school, Harvard gets own canadian goalie
[www.thecrimson.com]

Love Story, Cornell and Dartmouth win
[www.thecrimson.com]
[www.thecrimson.com]
[www.thecrimson.com]

NCAA against Canadians
[www.thecrimson.com]

Lumping Clarkson with Cornell and Canadians
[www.thecrimson.com]

The McGuinn Crimson Cup and ineligibility
[www.thecrimson.com]

Undefeated team not invincible, typicality of "we're number one" chants
at Watson
[www.thecrimson.com]

1970 team crushes harvard at Lynah
[www.thecrimson.com]

Harkness leaves
[www.thecrimson.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2005 04:24PM by RichH.

Posted by: daredevilcu (---.graham.clarkson.edu)
Date: November 08, 2005 04:13PM

Nice on the Yacey's Mom one, but I'm pretty sure he graduated. They're starting Sean Samuel now, I think.

Date: November 08, 2005 04:20PM

[Q]daredevilcu Wrote:

Nice on the Yacey's Mom one, but I'm pretty sure he graduated. They're starting Sean Samuel now, I think.[/q]

Dammit! I'm getting too old.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (206.254.3.---)
Date: November 08, 2005 04:53PM

[Q]RichH Wrote:

XXX Wrote:

Students from Harvard could care less about Harvard/ Cornell hockey...Dartmouth and Yale are much bigger rivals. Can anyone provide insight as to why this is a one sided rivalry? Is there a history? [/Q]
Snarky comments aside, this is a fair question. (Although if you could care less, that implies that you do care some...sorry...pet peeve)
[/q]

I was going to say something more along the lines of "let's point at the Cantab's poor language skills and laugh." laugh

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: A-19 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 08, 2005 05:18PM

i think the reason you're seeing more harvard "fans" at lynah east has been due to harvard's ticket policies these past years. (remember- the 6page package, not selling to visiting teams, etc). this year may return to the cornell trend due to that online glitch, in which i suspect that most of the seats they hoped to sell to townies went to elynah people who saw the link online.

yeah, i was really looking forward to yacey's mom but realized he had graduated as well. we'll start a separate thread for signs/cheers

-mike

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 08, 2005 05:20PM

So you're thinking of a sign, "Dov, You're Gone, We Miss You, and You Still ... "?

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: November 08, 2005 05:38PM

[Q]A-19 Wrote:

i think the reason you're seeing more harvard "fans" at lynah east has been due to harvard's ticket policies these past years. (remember- the 6page package, not selling to visiting teams, etc). this year may return to the cornell trend due to that online glitch, in which i suspect that most of the seats they hoped to sell to townies went to elynah people who saw the link online.
[/q]

The ticket package two years ago was one thing, but what did they do last year that made it more like 50/50? Not saying nothing was done, but I'm wondering what the strategy was.

I agree, we have a larger chance this year to bring it more back Cornell's way than in the recent past, due to 'the glitch'.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: November 08, 2005 07:42PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

Cornell alums don't have that fear. Only that nightmare when we come back on campus that we still have due that last required paper for graduation. [/q]

You have that nightmare, too? scared I thought I was the only one. whistle

Posted by: Rich S (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 10, 2005 09:31AM

Oh Bill, that's priceless...in a self-serving sort of way, of course...:-D

But today, I'm wondering how anyone could say "Harvard sucks"?

Just last night, one of your favorite Cantabs, Dominic Moore, scored a Gretzky-like goal from behind the goal line with three secs left in regulation to tie it up for the Rangers against Florida.

Today, I "love" Harvard...in a self-serving sort of way as a Rangers fan. :-}

Posted by: Jordan 04 (12.42.45.---)
Date: November 10, 2005 09:42AM

[Q]Rich S Wrote:

Oh Bill, that's priceless...in a self-serving sort of way, of course...

But today, I'm wondering how anyone could say "Harvard sucks"?

Just last night, one of your favorite Cantabs, Dominic Moore, scored a Gretzky-like goal from behind the goal line with three secs left in regulation to tie it up for the Rangers against Florida.

Today, I "love" Harvard...in a self-serving sort of way as a Rangers fan. [/q]

Actually, he scored a DMoore-on like goal. See Hahvahd @ Cornell, February 1, 2002.

Posted by: ugarte (---.cisco.com)
Date: November 10, 2005 03:45PM

[Q]RichH Wrote:(Although if you could care less, that implies that you do care some...sorry...pet peeve)[/q]That's funny. My pet peeve is people getting exercised about the intentional, sarcastic use of an expression to mean its exact opposite. ("Literally," "fat chance," "I love you," etc.) It has a long tradition as idiomatic English. I'd be shocked if it didn't happen the same way in other languages.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.harris.com)
Date: November 10, 2005 03:48PM

"Was that irony?"
"I don't even know anymore."

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: November 10, 2005 04:52PM

[q]That's funny. My pet peeve is people getting exercised about the intentional, sarcastic use of an expression to mean its exact opposite. ("Literally," "fat chance," "I love you," etc.) It has a long tradition as idiomatic English. I'd be shocked if it didn't happen the same way in other languages.[/q]Some people may use it sarcastically, but I suspect the majority just use it ignorantly. So I'm with Rich here. :-P

Posted by: ugarte (---.cisco.com)
Date: November 10, 2005 05:15PM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:

That's funny. My pet peeve is people getting exercised about the intentional, sarcastic use of an expression to mean its exact opposite. ("Literally," "fat chance," "I love you," etc.) It has a long tradition as idiomatic English. I'd be shocked if it didn't happen the same way in other languages.[/Q]
Some people may use it sarcastically, but I suspect the majority just use it ignorantly. So I'm with Rich here. [/q]Whether it is sarcastic or ignorant is somewhat besides the point. (Though I would argue that more people use the expressions sarcastically than you do.)

It is idiomatic; nobody is confused about the speaker's meaning. Slate had a column about the use of "literally" a few weeks ago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2005 05:16PM by ugarte.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: November 10, 2005 05:53PM

Regardless of whether it's idiomatic and has a history of usage, I still think it's a stupid usage. Just my not so humble opinion, of course.

Re: D Moore
Date: November 10, 2005 10:40PM

Moore had two more for the Rangers tonight. Did these two remind you of any of his goals while at Harvard?

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 10, 2005 11:20PM

[Q]Rich S Wrote:

Moore had two more for the Rangers tonight. Did these two remind you of any of his goals while at Harvard? [/q]

Life's too short to waste time watching Ranger games.

Date: November 10, 2005 11:47PM

[Q]Jordan 04 Wrote:
Life's too short to waste time watching Ranger games.[/q]

That explains Kevin Weekes.

Posted by: Free11Skier (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 10, 2005 11:49PM

The nuances of the English language aside, Harvard sucks!

MAE '08

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.37.18.110.adsl.snet.net)
Date: November 10, 2005 11:54PM

Intesting note, and rare show of respect for the rivalry, from wednesday's Crimson:
[q]
And for all the fan hype leading up to Friday’s Cornell game—it is, after all, The Game for Harvard hockey—Saturday’s contest against Colgate should not be lost in the shuffle. [/q]
[www.thecrimson.com]

Also, a bit off topic, the crimson ran a column blasting one of the sun's columns.
[www.thecrimson.com]

I'll be first in line to criticize the Sun most of the time, but it seems like the piece in the Crimson was a little much.
[q]In a column published in the Cornell Daily Sun, staff writer Tim Kuhls broached an interesting topic of Ivy debate—athletic scholarships—and proceeded to make himself look like an idiot.[/q]

Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.hyatsv01.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 11, 2005 12:42AM

Article in Wednesday's Crimson refers to the Cornell-Hahvard game in Lynah East as 'The Game' of Hahvard hockey. Perhaps some of them care?

[www.thecrimson.com]

Posted by: RichH (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 11, 2005 01:48AM

[Q]ugarte Wrote:

It is idiomatic; nobody is confused about the speaker's meaning. Slate had a column about the use of "literally" a few weeks ago.[/q]

I believe Steve Rushin had an article (Air & Space?) in SI a year or two ago about the misuse of the word "literally" in sports reporting/broadcasting. Not prepared to do a search for it right now, however. It was quite funny.

Posted by: RichH (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 11, 2005 02:04AM

[Q]ugarte Wrote:

RichH Wrote:(Although if you could care less, that implies that you do care some...sorry...pet peeve)[/Q]
That's funny. My pet peeve is people getting exercised about the intentional, sarcastic use of an expression to mean its exact opposite. ("Literally," "fat chance," "I love you," etc.) It has a long tradition as idiomatic English. I'd be shocked if it didn't happen the same way in other languages.[/q]

I'm very confident that the initial use here wasn't intentional (nor was its use ironic, sarcastic, or funny). It's a very commonly misused idiom. It should be "Harvard students couldn't care less."
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2005 02:05AM by RichH.

Posted by: Robb (---.losaca.adelphia.net)
Date: November 11, 2005 02:40AM

[Q]Chris '03 Wrote:

I'll be first in line to criticize the Sun most of the time, but it seems like the piece in the Crimson was a little much.
In a column published in the Cornell Daily Sun, staff writer Tim Kuhls broached an interesting topic of Ivy debate—athletic scholarships—and proceeded to make himself look like an idiot.[/Q]
[/q]
Mein Gott. I didn't go back to re-read the Sun article, but the Crimson article that it spawned is borderline unreadable. My favorite gem:

[Q]There are myriad angles from which to attack this ponderous dilemma.[/Q]

Keep in mind that at this point he hadn't even mentioned that there was a dilemma, much less that it was a "ponderous" one. What the heck is a ponderous dilemma, anyway?

Ah well, at least I'll now know a ponderous article about athletic scholarships when I see one...

Date: November 11, 2005 04:24AM

or Devils games so far this year!

ever hear of ESPN's Sport Center? :-D

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 11, 2005 08:18AM

[Q]Robb Wrote:

Mein Gott. I didn't go back to re-read the Sun article, but the Crimson article that it spawned is borderline unreadable. My favorite gem:

There are myriad angles from which to attack this ponderous dilemma.[/Q]
Keep in mind that at this point he hadn't even mentioned that there was a dilemma, much less that it was a "ponderous" one. What the heck is a ponderous dilemma, anyway?

Ah well, at least I'll now know a ponderous article about athletic scholarships when I see one...[/q]

"Ponderous dilemma" is a phrase one uses when trying to look a lot more intelligent than one actually is in all likelihood.

Put it another way: O-ver-rate-d *clap clap clapclapclap*. :-D

Posted by: redhair34 (---.student.harvard.edu)
Date: November 11, 2005 03:35PM

Harvard Sucks.

It had to be said from a Sucks IP address...:-D

banana banana banana

Posted by: jy3 (---.bflony.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 11, 2005 06:01PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

Cornell alums don't have that fear. Only that nightmare when we come back on campus that we still have due that last required paper for graduation. [/q]

lol, so u have this recurrent nightmare as well?!

just to make sure everyone understands hahvahd sucks
drunk

"Sucks" sucks
Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 11, 2005 06:18PM

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: February 13, 2006 05:24PM

Bump. Harvard still sucks.

Posted by: ebilmes (69.37.78.---)
Date: February 13, 2006 05:26PM

banana banana

And the dancing bananas still agree.

Posted by: jy3 (---.bflony.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 14, 2006 11:20AM

my wife wanted me to add for her, harvard still sucks

Posted by: Beeeej (38.136.58.---)
Date: February 14, 2006 03:00PM

Four days!!!

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Rob NH (24.147.117.---)
Date: February 15, 2006 12:34AM

Beeeej
Four days!!!
AND THEY STILL SUCK! :-) :-P

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: February 15, 2006 08:55AM

Three days.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 15, 2006 08:59AM

Trotsky
Three days.
And sucks still sucks.

Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 15, 2006 09:13PM

sucks! dribble

Posted by: Beeeej (38.136.58.---)
Date: February 16, 2006 12:18PM

TWO DAYS!!! rock

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: nr53 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2006 04:05PM

Bump... less than 90 minutes :-D

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login