Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell/BU Thanksgiving (11/24) Ticket Info

Posted by grizzdan24 
Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Cornell/BU Thanksgiving (11/24) Ticket Info
Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 09, 2007 06:50AM

KeithK
nyc94
Cactus12
Yeah, that's an unfortunate aspect of having the game at a venue like the Garden. People who make their livings reselling tickets put up prices that would be "appropriate" for the Rangers games rather than college hockey. They don't know/care about the event and will just take the loss when no one buys and let the tickets go to waste.

<insert Kyle's position on the efficiency of free markets>
Clearly it's inefficient here because of lack of correct information about college hockey market.

But... but... I thought the freemarket solved all problems ever! ;)

Seriously though, this discussion makes me wonder how much of this 'near sellout' is actually scalpers. What's the chance we get there and there are under 10,000 people actually in the building (still impressive or a college hockey game, but meaning half of the tickets that the actual fans couldn't get were bought up by people looking for a profit). Okay, it probably won''t be that much, but it'll be interesting to see.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: November 10, 2007 10:51AM

KeithK
nyc94
Cactus12
Yeah, that's an unfortunate aspect of having the game at a venue like the Garden. People who make their livings reselling tickets put up prices that would be "appropriate" for the Rangers games rather than college hockey. They don't know/care about the event and will just take the loss when no one buys and let the tickets go to waste.

Clearly it's inefficient here because of lack of correct information about college hockey market.
No, it's inefficient because (a) as the Cambridge Capital debate demonstrated, "efficiency" only has meaning in markets devoid of non-monetary capital (no MSG) and (b) what we have here is speculation and rational risk-taking in which the transaction costs of learning about the college hockey market outweigh the benefits.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 10, 2007 12:17PM

Swampy
KeithK
nyc94
Cactus12

No, it's inefficient because (a) as the Cambridge Capital debate demonstrated, "efficiency" only has meaning in markets devoid of non-monetary capital (no MSG) and (b) what we have here is speculation and rational risk-taking in which the transaction costs of learning about the college hockey market outweigh the benefits.
No, it's efficient. QED.

Posted by: dto (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 11, 2007 09:34AM

Now, back on topic... I just went to Ticketmaster and they don't have any seats available, even a single seat. I can't imagine the game is sold out, although I have heard that they've opened up the blue seats.

Although red is one of my least favorite colors, I was planning on going down to MSG to support college hockey ... or head up to Potsdam for the SCSU weekend. I guess ticketmaster is making the choice for me.

Re: Cornell/BU Thanksgiving (11/24) - alumni class seating
Posted by: Chris '03 (137.99.117.---)
Date: November 12, 2007 10:16AM

DeltaOne81
Chris '03
Oat
I have heard nothing from the Class of 2006. I'm pretty upset right now.

I really don't see what all the fuss is about. It's not like MSG holds 2k people and will sell out today.

My thoughts exactly. This is MSG, people. 18K+ capacity. You'll be able to get good tickets walkup on November 24th, no doubt.

Sadly, I agreed with you... and now I have no tickets. doh I'm still a little dubious about how many tickets have been sold, though. We'll see.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.itt.com)
Date: November 12, 2007 10:26AM

Chris '03
DeltaOne81
Chris '03
Oat
I have heard nothing from the Class of 2006. I'm pretty upset right now.

I really don't see what all the fuss is about. It's not like MSG holds 2k people and will sell out today.

My thoughts exactly. This is MSG, people. 18K+ capacity. You'll be able to get good tickets walkup on November 24th, no doubt.

Sadly, I agreed with you... and now I have no tickets. doh I'm still a little dubious about how many tickets have been sold, though. We'll see.

Heh. I'm still shocked, although seeing how it was turning out I did buy tickets via Cornell a few weeks ago. You may try calling the ticket office, they didn't seem to have problems getting more tickets a couple weeks back.

I was never planning on doing walkup, I just thought it would be a viable option. If this place really is 'sold out', then half of it is scalpers and the event will be empty. Its either that or a ton of tickets are being held back. It'll be interested to see.

Posted by: Chris '03 (137.99.117.---)
Date: November 12, 2007 10:48AM

DeltaOne81

Heh. I'm still shocked, although seeing how it was turning out I did buy tickets via Cornell a few weeks ago. You may try calling the ticket office, they didn't seem to have problems getting more tickets a couple weeks back.

I was never planning on doing walkup, I just thought it would be a viable option. If this place really is 'sold out', then half of it is scalpers and the event will be empty. Its either that or a ton of tickets are being held back. It'll be interested to see.

I was hesitant to pull the trigger last week on 400 levels thinking there'd be plenty to go around. CU Ticket Office now has a wait list and is hoping MSG releases more seats this week. Time will tell. I'm thinking more seats show up somewhere besides stubhub though. Maybe I'll swing by agganis friday and see what they've got...

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: November 12, 2007 10:58AM

My guess is that the walkup will still be kind of cheap - especially if you aren't committed to warm-ups or even the anthem.

By the way, is this being treated like a road game w/r/t throwing newspapers? I'd say yes. (Not that I have the kind of arm that can get a paper ball to the ice from the 400s.)

Posted by: Law09 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: November 12, 2007 11:47AM

I just picked up my Dartmouth tickets from the athletics office and in passing they mentioned that they have some "VIP" tickets for the game for $40ish. I already have my tickets, so I didn't get any other info. If you need tickets still, you might call though.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: November 12, 2007 12:18PM

ugarte
By the way, is this being treated like a road game w/r/t throwing newspapers? I'd say yes. (Not that I have the kind of arm that can get a paper ball to the ice from the 400s.)

I don't think there's any question about it; everywhere but Lynah, whether it's technically a "home" game for Cornell or not, you do not throw the newspapers on the ice.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: ebilmes (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 12, 2007 12:43PM

There have been some tickets popping up on Facebook recently, FYI.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: November 12, 2007 03:15PM

Beeeej
ugarte

I don't think there's any question about it; everywhere but Lynah, whether it's technically a "home" game for Cornell or not, you do not throw the newspapers on the ice.

Yes, the standard procedure away from Lynah is to throw the crumpled up papers at each other/the band.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: A-ron (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 13, 2007 01:41AM

jtwcornell91
Beeeej
ugarte

Yes, the standard procedure away from Lynah is to throw the crumpled up papers at each other/the band.

I've found that every newspaper thrown at my father and successfully batted down by him results in his strength increasing by plus 2 hit points.

Posted by: bigggreddd77 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 13, 2007 10:50PM

Score! Gotta love craigslist! Section 116, Row C.

Can someone confirm for me that 116 is a Cornell fan section and that Cornell will be attacking that goal twice during the game? Anyone?

Re: Cornell/BU Thanksgiving (OT)
Posted by: redheadfanatic (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 14, 2007 08:58PM

this is kind of off topic, but what is the best and cheapest way to get from Ithaca to MSG without driving myself?

I just found out today that I have 2 tickets to the game, but neither me or the person that I am going with can drive.

thanks

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 14, 2007 08:59PM

redheadfanatic
this is kind of off topic, but what is the best and cheapest way to get from Ithaca to MSG without driving myself?

I just found out today that I have 2 tickets to the game, but neither me or the person that I am going with can drive.

thanks

Shortline bus to the Port Authority.

Then just walk the 8 blocks or take the subway one stop to MSG.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 14, 2007 10:59PM

Jordan 04
redheadfanatic

thanks

Shortline bus to the Port Authority.

Then just walk the 8 blocks or take the subway one stop to MSG.
I haven't lived in Ithaca for like 7 years now, but I can still hear in my head the radio commercial saying "The shortest distance between two points isn't a straight line, it's a Short Line!"

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: November 14, 2007 11:10PM

Josh '99
I haven't lived in Ithaca for like 7 years now, but I can still hear in my head the radio commercial saying "The shortest distance between two points isn't a straight line, it's a Short Line!"
For me it's "What a difference in this generation" (or something like that) from the local TV spot.

Date: November 15, 2007 11:08AM

Josh '99

< shutter >

Shortline is (was?) awful. I took it to/from home freshman year. And its the primary reason I had my car up there every year thereafter.

That said, its your best way. And the NYC routes are typically direct, I think, which is a lot less hassle (but don't take my word for it).

Its still what I'd do, if I were you.

P.S. Ithaca really needs a train station.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2007 11:30AM by DeltaOne81.

Date: November 15, 2007 11:11AM

redheadfanatic

Have someone drive you.

In all seriousness, doesn't Cornell still have a rideshare board at Willard Straight? A posting there for the BU game will probably turn up someone who wants to split the gas/tolls.

Posted by: RichH (216.195.201.---)
Date: November 15, 2007 11:25AM

DeltaOne81
< shutter >

Shortline is (was?) awful. I took it to/from home freshman year. And its the primary reason I had my car up there every year thereafter.

If quality/skeeziness is your concern, and you can afford a little more, there's another option these days:

[www.c2cbus.com]

"Luxury" bus and 4.5 hours to the Cornell Club of NYC. Pricey? Sure, but it's cheaper/faster than amtrak or flying.

I know redheadfanatic said "cheapest way" so this is more in response to Fred. Another option is to split a rental car. I just did a quick search on Travelocity, and I see rentals from Avis starting at $39 a day. A pick-up Saturday morning and drop off Sunday afternoon totals $97. Split that 2-3 ways (also accounting for gas and tolls) and you're in the $50-80 range per person.

I would list them thusly in order of expense:

1. Carpool/rideshare
2. Split a car rental
3. Shortline
4. Campus2Campus bus
5. Train from Syracuse
6. Fly

Edit: fixed who was quoted and added rental info.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2007 11:39AM by RichH.

Date: November 15, 2007 11:36AM

RichH
DeltaOne81
< shutter >

If quality/skeeziness is your concern, and you can afford a little more, there's another option these days:

I know redheadfanatic said "cheapest way" so this is more in response to Josh. I would list them thusly in order of expense:

1. Carpool/rideshare
2. Shortline
3. Campus2Campus bus
4. Train from Syracuse
5. Fly

Actually, I think it was a response to me, but I screwed up the earlier quote formatting.

My issue with Shortline wasn't skeeziness, but it was:
1) drivers were assholes, um, "Harvard students". They'd make you wait 2 minutes to answer any questions you had, if they'd answer at all
and
2) I had a lot of questions because the routes listed online that looked like one continuous bus actually often required 2 or 3 changes (this wasn't true (at the time) for NYC lines, but was true for me trying to get towards Ct)

I hope its better.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: November 15, 2007 12:29PM

RichH
DeltaOne81
< shutter >

[www.c2cbus.com]

"Luxury" bus and 4.5 hours to the Cornell Club of NYC. Pricey? Sure, but it's cheaper/faster than amtrak or flying.
Whoa, that's an expensive bus ride. I guess they've gotta pay for that Keurig coffee brewer somehow, though.

Posted by: nr53 (---.cisco.com)
Date: November 15, 2007 12:57PM

RichH
I know redheadfanatic said "cheapest way" so this is more in response to Fred. Another option is to split a rental car. I just did a quick search on Travelocity, and I see rentals from Avis starting at $39 a day. A pick-up Saturday morning and drop off Sunday afternoon totals $97. Split that 2-3 ways (also accounting for gas and tolls) and you're in the $50-80 range per person.

I would list them thusly in order of expense:

1. Carpool/rideshare
2. Split a car rental
3. Shortline
4. Campus2Campus bus
5. Train from Syracuse
6. Fly

I'm going to guess that the person looking for a ride is under the age of 25. In that case, they would probably also be charged an extra fee for being young (those crazy kids with their loud music and fast cars... oh wait that includes me...). If it's anything like the fee I had to pay this summer, it'll probably run ~$20 a day extra. Also, if they're going to be driving in NYC for the first time, insurance might not be a bad idea. So all in all I would say that car rentals are a bit more expensive per person and might drop down that list a bit.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (155.72.24.---)
Date: November 15, 2007 12:58PM

DeltaOne81
Josh '99

< shutter >

That said, its your best way. And the NYC routes are typically direct, I think, which is a lot less hassle (but don't take my word for it).

Its still what I'd do, if I were you.

P.S. Ithaca really needs a train station.

Don't know where home was for you, but for NYC-ITH, it was a breeze. During holiday time buses almost always ran direct, without stopping in Binghamton or Monticello for drop offs. In 4 years and probably ~20-25 trips I never once had to switch buses for a trip to or from the Pot Authority. Like all buses, you have the occasional sketchy clientele, but short of knowing somebody with a car, it is IMO by far the best combination of easy/convenient/cheap for getting to and from the city.

(Splitting a rental may is a good option as well, but those under 25 often have to deal with ridiculous fees. You also then have to park in the city, which for some could be reason enough to take the bus.)

Date: November 15, 2007 01:18PM

Jordan 04
Don't know where home was for you, but for NYC-ITH, it was a breeze...

Home was Ct. I went to Newburgh, NY where my parents would meet me. I typically had to change in Monticello and Middletown (and sometimes Binghamton).

Which doesn't make much sense because the online schedules show Ithaca --> NYC (via Binghamton) and Binghamton --> Newburgh as two routes, but, in reality, Binghamton was the only place I didn't always have to change. It was weird :)

And for all that I got a 5-6 hour bus ride and then another 1.5 hours in my parent's car, for a trip that should only take a bit over 4 hours if driven myself.

Posted by: dto (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 15, 2007 02:43PM

I live in Newburgh. If you got that far, you should've just taken the train out of Salisbury Mills to the PATH right to downstairs at MSG. No parking problems. **]

I'm still looking around for tickets. I guess I might have to go up to Clarkson/SCSU or the RPI holiday tourney.

Date: November 15, 2007 03:51PM

dto
I live in Newburgh. If you got that far, you should've just taken the train out of Salisbury Mills to the PATH right to downstairs at MSG. No parking problems. **]

I'm still looking around for tickets. I guess I might have to go up to Clarkson/SCSU or the RPI holiday tourney.
Nitpick: The PATH doesn't go to MSG.

Date: November 15, 2007 06:25PM

Josh '99
dto

That is really nitpicking. [maps.google.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2007 06:30PM by ugarte.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: November 15, 2007 07:30PM

ugarte
Josh '99
dto

That is really nitpicking. [maps.google.com]
But it's a whole, long block in the big, scary city! Or more since you enter the Garden at 32nd St.

Posted by: CKinsland (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 16, 2007 07:37PM

Josh '99
Whoa, that's an expensive bus ride. I guess they've gotta pay for that Keurig coffee brewer somehow, though.

I actually just got off the darn thing a few hours ago. Compared to other buses it is really nice. Nice, comfortable seats (that recline way back and have pop-up footrests). Very clean. Free snacks, sodas, coffee. Internet (direct hook up and WiFi) the whole way, with power outlets for each seat. XM radio available for each seat. A mini-conference table, etc. etc. I have to say, for a bus ride, it was excellent. No extra stops...just Cornell to Cornell (well, 3 Ithaca locations and 2 NYC possibilities).

I've ridden Shortline, and it was okay, but this was much nicer.

CK

Posted by: Winnabago (---.c3-0.sbo-ubr1.sbo.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: November 17, 2007 01:56PM

Something is very wrong with this event. No tickets left through official channels, yet none available secondhand (except for a few choice Stubhub listings). I'd imagine there is a massive block still left to be released on day of or sooner. New York craigslist shows about 15 people looking, maybe one selling.

What is a fan to do even the scalpers don't have any?

Posted by: grizzdan24 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 17, 2007 02:11PM

Winnabago
What is a fan to do even the scalpers don't have any?
Sounds like the scalpers and fans had the exact same thought: "There is no way this game will come close to selling out."

Posted by: Cactus12 (---.med.nyu.edu)
Date: November 17, 2007 02:35PM

yeah, I've spoken to some people familiar with ticket resale- they said scalpers wouldn't have bought up these tickets, seems like it will be a packed house after all

Date: November 20, 2007 11:34AM

Cornell is now saying the game is actually, genuinely sold out, all 18,200 seats.

[cornellbigred.com]

So it just remains to be seen whether the arena will be full, or the sidewalk in front of it full of annoyed scalpers. I'm hoping for the former.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.cmbrmaks.akamai.com)
Date: November 20, 2007 11:42AM

Beeeej
I'm hoping for the former.
I'm kinda hoping for the latter: a sidewalk full of annoyed scalpers would be amusing schadenfraude for the $70 @Harvard tickets I bought 3 years ago. barf

Kyle

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.dhcp.psdn.ca.charter.com)
Date: November 20, 2007 11:44AM

I'm curious if companies that have corporate season tickets for the Knicks and Rangers got to keep their seats for this event. If that is the case, I wonder how many of those will actually fill up.

Posted by: mttgrmm (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: November 20, 2007 12:51PM

from what i've heard, they do. not 100% certain, but i'm pretty sure they do keep their boxes.

Date: November 20, 2007 03:13PM

krose
Beeeej
I'm hoping for the former.
I'm kinda hoping for the latter: a sidewalk full of annoyed scalpers would be amusing schadenfraude for the $70 @Harvard tickets I bought 3 years ago. barf

Kyle

Annoyed scalpers would be the way to go, so long as there are at least 10K+ for the actual game. That way its actually a very good showing, with a bunch of annoyed scalpers (and cheap tickets for various last minute fans) to boot.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (155.72.24.---)
Date: November 20, 2007 03:18PM

I can't imagine there's going to be thousands of scalped tickets going to waste on the street.

Scalpers usually aren't dumb. They know which events will make them money and which ones won't, and must know that street demand for college hockey is not going to bring in the big dollars.

I would be surprised, and disappointed, to see thousands of empty seats.

Posted by: Molly (---.partners.org)
Date: November 21, 2007 08:38AM

According to the jumbotron during last night's BU-Harvard game, there are still tickets for Saturday's game available through the BU athletic office.

Whether or not the jumbotron lies, I don't know. :-P

Posted by: redice (---.154.222.179.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: November 21, 2007 09:17AM

From today's Ithaca Journal:

Jack Parker: “We will officially be the home team, but we will not be the home team as far as the fans are concerned.”

I hope he's correct! This has all the earmarks of being one of the most exciting Cornell Hockey games that I've attended since Ned & the boys took over the old Boston Gahden. I can't wait!!

Date: November 21, 2007 10:44AM

"The Cornell Club-New York has a limited number of tickets in a MSG luxury suite.

Tickets are $75 each and include the cost of the ticket only. Please contact Kerry Strassel for availability at 212.692.1381 or k.strassel@cornellclubnyc.com."

- Steve Worona

Posted by: jaybert (---.dllstx.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 21, 2007 11:12AM

damn, sounds like a pretty good deal. I paid $60/ticket from ticketmaster for my section 60 tickets...oh well

Date: November 21, 2007 11:12AM

redice
From today's Ithaca Journal:

Jack Parker: “We will officially be the home team, but we will not be the home team as far as the fans are concerned.”

I hope he's correct! This has all the earmarks of being one of the most exciting Cornell Hockey games that I've attended since Ned & the boys took over the old Boston Gahden. I can't wait!!

About 6 months ago, people on this forum postulated that the then upcoming lacrosse game in Baltimore could be the largest crowd a Cornell athletics team has played for in recent history. (See this thread.) This is going to be up there for indoor sports. HSBC arena holds 18,690, so given a sellout for both, the 2003 Frozen Four would win. The important thing about this game, however, is the percentage of the crowd that will be CU fans. Only a small slice of the Buffalo crowd were actual Cornell fans (as opposed to interested upstate-NY supporters). No, it won't be Wisconsin-in-2006 or Minnesota-in-2002, but I am getting chills about what I hope will be the loudest "Let's Go Red" chant in my experience. It'll definitely be the most Red and White I've seen. Wait...they wear Scarlet, not Red. Scarlet is off-Red.

I think I remember a 4-team college hockey tournament in the late-90s that had to be moved from MSG to the Hartford Civic Center due to lack of interest. A little research later:

[www.uscho.com]

[Q]The doubleheader, the first of what Fanter promises to be a number of cooperative ventures with Hockey East, was originally slated for Madison Square Garden. However, slow ticket sales there prompted a move to Hartford.

“New York City is just not a college sports town,” Fanter said. “Something could work there, but not this.”

Sales in Hartford weren’t great either, and a 5 p.m. start time on a Monday night before Christmas between Maine and Colgate had much fewer than 3,000 people there. RPI and New Hampshire played the late game. [/Q]

What vision for the old ECAC administration: "I know! Christmas Eve!" This BU-Cornell event just makes a lot more sense.
Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2007 11:30AM by RichH.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.public.uconn.edu)
Date: November 21, 2007 11:40AM

RichH

Sales in Hartford weren’t great either, and a 5 p.m. start time on a Monday night before Christmas between Maine and Colgate had much fewer than 3,000 people there. RPI and New Hampshire played the late game. [/Q]

What vision for the old ECAC administration: "I know! Christmas Eve!" This BU-Cornell event just makes a lot more sense.

To be fair the Monday night before Christmas in 1998 was the 21st. Wodon's column just ran on Christmas Eve.

Date: November 21, 2007 11:57AM

Chris '03
To be fair the Monday night before Christmas in 1998 was the 21st. Wodon's column just ran on Christmas Eve.

Ah, my mistake.

Posted by: BCrespi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 21, 2007 12:13PM

RichH
No, it won't be Wisconsin-in-2006 or Minnesota-in-2002, but I am getting chills about what I hope will be the loudest "Let's Go Red" chant in my experience.

Couldn't agree more, though I'll say I'm more excited for the "RED" in the anthem than anything else.

Date: November 21, 2007 12:36PM

RichH
[Q]“New York City is just not a college sports town,” Fanter said. “Something could work there, but not this.”[/Q]
New York does just fine with the Big East basketball tournament. The problem isn't that New York can't ever get behind college sports, the problem is that there's no local rooting interest in college hockey. Saturday's game gets around that by picking schools with HUGE alumni bases and scheduling it on a weekend when lots of students will be home and alumni will be able to make travel plans.

I guess my point is, saying "New York City is just not a college sports town" was Fanter making the easy excuse for a poor scheduling decision.

Posted by: dargason (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 21, 2007 12:43PM

The jumbotron does lie, just went to the BU ticket office, nothing left for public or students. Does anyone know if MSG would release any day-of-game? I was thinking of stopping by when they open on saturday.

Date: November 21, 2007 01:08PM

Josh '99
RichH
[Q]“New York City is just not a college sports town,” Fanter said. “Something could work there, but not this.”[/Q]
New York does just fine with the Big East basketball tournament. The problem isn't that New York can't ever get behind college sports, the problem is that there's no local rooting interest in college hockey. Saturday's game gets around that by picking schools with HUGE alumni bases and scheduling it on a weekend when lots of students will be home and alumni will be able to make travel plans.
New York is kind of a shitty college sports town. There is no Division I-A college football to speak of. When St. John's isn't good, MSG only sells out because Big East teams like Syracuse and Connecticut travel well and fill MSG. I don't think that all of the games at Alumni Hall - a great place to watch a game - always sell out these days.

Have you been to The Big East tournament? It doesn't prove that NYC is a college sports town; it proves that Storrs, Syracuse, Pittsburgh and Washington DC are good college sports towns. I used to go to the ECAC Holiday Festival every year over Christmas. St. John's played almost every year, as did some of the best teams in the country. I never had to buy my tickets in advance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2007 01:09PM by ugarte.

Date: November 21, 2007 01:43PM

ugarte
New York is kind of a shitty college sports town. There is no Division I-A college football to speak of.

Well, it did sort of embrace Rutgers during their run last season...I seem to remember them turning the Empire State Building's lights to match Rutgers's colors at some point.

But I agree with your first statement. Even LA, which is probably the US city that cares about sports the least, gets up for big college events with USC and UCLA. NYU (Go Violets!?) and Columbia don't really cut it on the national sports radar. But you know what? I'm perfectly *fine* with NYC not being a big college sports town...in fact, I prefer it. It's a great pro sports town. No need for NY tabloid hype to get people not associated with the school to care superfically about and corrupt monetarily a school based on athletics. NYU, Columbia, Yeshiva, Fordham, etc. are all great a being what they're supposed to be: educational institutions. Not jock factories who exploit the system for bucks and publicity. I wouldn't want it any other way. [/soapbox]

Here's a theory just bouncing around my head: Americans tend to gravitate towards schools with their state name as a source of local/regional pride. New York State (SUNY) really doesn't have that one BIG sports name. In fact, the SUNY label is rather poisonous...which is why Albany, Buffalo, and Binghamton have all done name changes to drop the SUNY, and why the "SUNY Ithaca" chant is supposed to be derisive.

Going around the map, here's a list of states where the "<state name> University" "University of <state name>" or "<state name> State University" doesn't have (what I consider) a major football/basketball/hockey team (I'll parenthetically put the team that I think most average folks in the state lean towards):

New York (Syracuse U.)
Rhode Island (Providence College)
New Jersey (Rutgers...I know it's a state school but nobody calls it "New Jersey State";)
South Dakota (?)
Montana (?)
Wyoming (?)
Idaho (Boise State)

good god, is it Saturday yet??
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2007 01:54PM by RichH.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 21, 2007 01:53PM

BCrespi
RichH
No, it won't be Wisconsin-in-2006 or Minnesota-in-2002, but I am getting chills about what I hope will be the loudest "Let's Go Red" chant in my experience.

Couldn't agree more, though I'll say I'm more excited for the "RED" in the anthem than anything else.

Well, don't get too disappointed if it's not overwhelming cheering. Remember, 90% of the "fans" probably haven't been to a game in years, maybe some never. Some of them may be old enough to get annoyed with a loud Red during the National Anthem, if so, so be it. But I don't expect it will even be as loud as a good Lynah night. A couple of thousand screamers can get lost amongst 15,000 sitters.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

Date: November 21, 2007 01:56PM

Jim Hyla
BCrespi
RichH

Well, don't get too disappointed if it's not overwhelming cheering. Remember, 90% of the "fans" probably haven't been to a game in years, maybe some never. Some of them may be old enough to get annoyed with a loud Red during the National Anthem, if so, so be it. But I don't expect it will even be as loud as a good Lynah night. A couple of thousand screamers can get lost amongst 15,000 sitters.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

Yep, that thought crossed my mind also. Well, hopefully, the geriatric "facetimers" can find enough energy to rattle their jewelry or dig out that fur coat that got splattered with red paint from PETA protesters a few years back. ;-)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2007 01:57PM by RichH.

Date: November 21, 2007 01:57PM

RichH
ugarte
New York is kind of a shitty college sports town. There is no Division I-A college football to speak of.

Well, it did sort of embrace Rutgers during their run last season...
Sort of ... but not really. That was bandwagon behavior. "During their run" means a lot more in that sentence than "Rutgers." The same thing happens every time Manhattan puts together a decent basketball team, but the truth is the city doesn't care about Manhattan basketball any more than country cares about women's curling if we can't make a plausible claim to be a medal contender.

Going around the map, here's a list of states where the "<state name> University" "University of <state name>" or "<state name> State University" doesn't have (what I consider) a major football/basketball/hockey team (I'll parenthetically put the team that I think most average folks in the state lean towards):

New York (Syracuse U.)
Rhode Island (Providence College)
New Jersey (Rutgers...I know it's a state school but nobody calls it "New Jersey State";)
South Dakota (?)
Montana (?)
Wyoming (?)
Idaho (Boise State)

Wyoming has a legit D-I basketball program (certainly as successful as anything Alaska does in hockey), Idaho has real in-state support (though Boise State has certainly been a lot better of late) and I think you are underrating Rhode Island's in-state support.

Rutgers is such a strange bird. Rutgers used to be private but, so New Jersey didn't have to create a legitimate state university system from scratch, the state bought it. I'll never understand why they didn't change the name (unless it was a condition of sale).

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 21, 2007 07:30PM

ugarte
Rutgers is such a strange bird. Rutgers used to be private but, so New Jersey didn't have to create a legitimate state university system from scratch, the state bought it.
Very similar to what happened with Lowell Tech a decade ago, when Massachusetts bought it and reduced it to UML.

Edit: two decades. God, I am older than dirt. cry
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2007 07:31PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Rita (---.agry.purdue.edu)
Date: November 21, 2007 08:42PM

Trotsky
ugarte
Rutgers is such a strange bird. Rutgers used to be private but, so New Jersey didn't have to create a legitimate state university system from scratch, the state bought it.
Very similar to what happened with Lowell Tech a decade ago, when Massachusetts bought it and reduced it to UML.

It's okay... as long as you are not covered with dirt. ;-)

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2007 10:29PM by Rita.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 21, 2007 10:15PM

Trotsky

So, what does that make Al and me. No, don't answer that.

Happy Thanksgiving from my household as well.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 22, 2007 07:31AM

Jim Hyla
Trotsky

So, what does that make Al and me.
Methu...? Never mind.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: November 22, 2007 02:40PM

Beeeej
"The Cornell Club-New York has a limited number of tickets in a MSG luxury suite.

Tickets are $75 each and include the cost of the ticket only. Please contact Kerry Strassel for availability at 212.692.1381 or k.strassel@cornellclubnyc.com."

So what does that mean, cash bar? drunk

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

MSG Marketing (or lack thereof)
Posted by: sah67 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 22, 2007 04:18PM

Not that it matters now with the supposed sell-out, but has anyone else noticed that the game is two days away, and yet MSG's homepage has absolutely no mention of the game or any related advertisements? It's not even on the "featured schedule" of upcoming events. Clearly the 1/18 Rascal Flatts concert is a much bigger deal. Even clicking on the "Sporting events" sub-menu brings up absolutely no references at all to the game.

But really, regardless of how well the event has sold, it just seems like there's a whole lot of "we don't really give a crap" coming from the MSG higher-ups.

[www.thegarden.com]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2007 04:29PM by sah67.

Posted by: Rich S (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 22, 2007 07:32PM

Beeeej
Cornell is now saying the game is actually, genuinely sold out, all 18,200 seats.

[cornellbigred.com]

So it just remains to be seen whether the arena will be full, or the sidewalk in front of it full of annoyed scalpers. I'm hoping for the former.

Capacity at MSG for hoops is 18,200. For hockey, it's 17,500.

I've been told that additional tickets will be available the day of the game. Not sure if that will be the case but I'm hoping so.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 22, 2007 08:40PM

Rich S
Beeeej

[cornellbigred.com]

I've been told that additional tickets will be available the day of the game. Not sure if that will be the case but I'm hoping so.

Don't use bold unless you know what you're talking about.

Seating Capacity

For basketball events in the Arena, the seating capacity is 19,763 and for hockey events in the Arena, the seating capacity is 18,200. For all other events, seating capacity changes depending on the set-up of the event. For events in the Theater, the seating capacity is 5,600.
[www.thegarden.com]

Date: November 22, 2007 09:37PM

Chris '03
Rich S
Beeeej

[cornellbigred.com]

Don't use bold unless you know what you're talking about.

Seating Capacity

For basketball events in the Arena, the seating capacity is 19,763 and for hockey events in the Arena, the seating capacity is 18,200. For all other events, seating capacity changes depending on the set-up of the event. For events in the Theater, the seating capacity is 5,600.
[www.thegarden.com]

Plus, it's not like I was guessing or speaking from memory - I got the number from the article to which I linked. Granted, it was Cornell's article, not MSG's... I'd have been perfectly happy to have accidentally been wrong. But it sounds like I wasn't.

- Steve Worona

Re: MSG Marketing (or lack thereof)
Posted by: Josh '99 (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 22, 2007 10:15PM

The lack of promotion on the web is odd, especially since it doesn't cost MSG anything to put it on their website, but I've definitely heard it advertised on the radio during a Rangers game once or twice.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.ny5030.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 22, 2007 10:28PM

Josh '99
The lack of promotion on the web is odd, especially since it doesn't cost MSG anything to put it on their website, but I've definitely heard it advertised on the radio during a Rangers game once or twice.

There have been television commercials as well.

Date: November 23, 2007 01:11AM

That's not it, really.

The game, including the marketing, etc is a production ofthe two schools, not of MSG so they are not responsible for marketing efforts. They're basically just selling tickets.

That said, there was a link on the Rangers website for several weeks to Ticketmaster plus many in-game ads on their radio broadcasts for the game.

Who paid for the radio spots, I don't know but in any case, I think it's inaccurate to say that MSG doesn't care. It's in their best interests to see the game sell out if for no other reason than concession sales.

Plus a full house would bode well for a potential future Frozen Four bid.

Posted by: Cactus12 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 23, 2007 01:24AM

For a while it was an almost guaranteed ad during every commercial break on Rangers hockey radio (heard at least 10 times during games on a few separate occasions)

Ithaca Journal article 11/23
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 23, 2007 11:02AM

Nice piece in today's Journal giving insight into genesis of the scheduling of the game:

[theithacajournal.com]

Re: 2003 game at MSG?
Date: November 23, 2007 11:42AM

I did not realize there was a college game played at MSG in 2003 as mentioned in the Ithaca Journal story. I had thought the last college game there was in '76 or '77.

Who were the participants?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: November 23, 2007 11:58AM

From here:

March 1, 2003 - Quinnipiac University defeats the University of
Connecticut 4-3 in the first college hockey game played at Madison
Square Garden since 1977

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 23, 2007 12:07PM

Trotsky
From here:

Square Garden since 1977

I did not realize there was a college game played at MSG in 1977. Who were the participants? Just kidding. :-)

Posted by: RichH (76.28.11.---)
Date: November 23, 2007 12:13PM

Trotsky
From here:

Square Garden since 1977

[www.uscho.com]
MAAC Game
Saturday, March 1, 2003 at Madison Square Garden (Att: 2115)

The game recap: [www.uscho.com]

[Q]Saturday marked the first Division I hockey game at Madison Square Garden since 1977, when Boston University beat St. Lawrence in a holiday tournament.

The game came off as such a success that there are already talks in place of another Quinnipiac-UConn game in New York City, and possibly a yearly game at MSG.[/Q]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2007 12:16PM by RichH.

Date: November 23, 2007 03:13PM

Thanks, I had forgotten about that.

Posted by: jaybert (---.dllstx.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 23, 2007 07:31PM

anyone understand how the lower level seats work? On the seating chart at www.thegarden.com, the odd # section (59 for example) is in front of the even # section (60). Is that because they cant fit both side by side? Or is because 59 really is in front of 60?

LGR! Flight to NY from Dallas leaves in ~13 hrs...

Posted by: szlezak (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 23, 2007 09:40PM

ANyone know a good reasonable place to park near MSG? has anyone used the prepaid parking they sell on ticketmaster ($30?)

Posted by: jeff '84 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 23, 2007 09:47PM

Just found this....

[www.iconparking.com]

See bottom link for coupon (gotta hand in that ticket though....)

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.dsl2.mon.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 24, 2007 03:36PM

Thanks for posting the coupon.

Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login