Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

"Fora set-up" poll

Posted by Al DeFlorio 
"Fora set-up" poll
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 19, 2006 06:04PM

It's not an option in the poll, but my vote would be for (1) hockey; (2) tickets; and, (3) other Cornell sports. Personally, I have little interest in discussing topics like John Spencer on eLynah, but if there's enough "other" demand, then make (4) other miscellaneous.

I don't think there's enough interest here in any other single Cornell sport to justify its own forum--especially in the sport's off-season--but there probably is sufficient interest among lacrosse, football, and, for a few of us at least, wrestling, to justify an inclusive forum for "other sports." Such a forum would also provide a place for the occasional thread on some of the sports that receive infrequent mention here at times when there is something noteworthy to be reported or discussed.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2006 06:09PM by Al DeFlorio.

Re: "Fora set-up" poll
Posted by: cth95 (---.a-315.westelcom.com)
Date: January 19, 2006 06:06PM

I like that break down and agree with you about the "other" column. I don't look to this forum for non-Cornell or non-hockey information.

Posted by: Facetimer (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 19, 2006 08:51PM

Please use the "John Spencer is Dead" Forum to discuss OT topics.

<--------------

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 21, 2006 07:47AM

Putting other sports in a separate message list would be fine if it generates crtical mass. It might. If not, I don't have a problem with the football and lacrosse threads right here, especially since they're in the off season for the most part.

There should either be a John Malkovich Is Stuck Betwween Floors list for esoteric, non-sports, non-Cornell discussions, or it just shouldn't get posted, and if it does, it should be moved out of the main list. And no, there's nothing wrong with a sysop also being arbiter and editor of taste - democracies with no rules and no policing don't stay free and open for long.

Yes, there should be a separate ticket forum.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 21, 2006 10:59AM

billhoward
And no, there's nothing wrong with a sysop also being arbiter and editor of taste - democracies with no rules and no policing don't stay free and open for long.

I get the feeling that Age doesn't want to have to police ELF a lot, save for extreme situations. And he probably doesn't trust any of us to do it either.

Date: January 21, 2006 11:21AM

It's a most charitable thing he has done making eLynah available - sheesh, I almost typed evailable - and it's understandable to want to limit your time invested beyond what's currently sunk. We'll see what happens during lax season, if the Other Sports list gets used for lax or if it stays on the main forum.

Date: January 21, 2006 05:16PM

I like the new set up. Admittedly, it is because of my own somewhat obsessiveness, but I like to have all of the hockey threads read and marked off. When other threads are included I may not really feel like reading some of them, but it bugs me to leave them marked as unread. When they are in other fora it doesn't bother me to not read them right away.

I know, certainly not much of an argument to put against everyone else's reasons.

P.S. Maybe we need a separate "Rich S." forum for those on here to argue with him when his and your productive interactions break down into trading insults. :-D
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2006 05:22PM by cth95.

Posted by: Roy 82 (---.SRI.COM)
Date: January 21, 2006 09:49PM

I don't mind the once in a while or timely OT-marked post on other Cornell Sports or hockey in general. I might not even know that we had a kickass wrestling squad if it were not posted here.

If we must live with another forum for other Cornell Sports (sigh) then let's make sure it is for Cornell sports. Right now they are discussing the Rose Bowl and non-Cornell college football all mixed in with Cornell Sports.

I would humbly suggest that the "Other Sports" forum be a "Other Cornell Sports or Hockey" forum. Otherwise it is just as irrelevant as John Spencer. There are plenty of places for that.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2006 12:42AM by Roy 82.

Date: January 21, 2006 09:58PM

Roy 82
If we must live with another forum for other Cornell Sports (sigh) then let's make sure it is for Cornell sports. Right now they are discussing the Rose Bowl and non-Conrell college football all mixed in with Cornell Sports.

I would humbly suggest that the "Other Sports" forum be a "Other Cornell Sports or Hockey" forum

Good point. I was inferring that the new forum was for this, but it is not clear and may not be.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 21, 2006 10:00PM

Roy 82
I would humbly suggest that the "Other Sports" forum be a "Other Cornell Sports or Hockey" forum. Otherwise it is just as irrelevant as John Spencer. There are plenty of places for that.
That was my suggestion in the thread-opener. I also don't object to having other Cornell sports discussed in the main forum--with the obligatory OT notation. I agree that the Rose Bowl is of about as little relevance here as John Spencer.

Date: January 21, 2006 10:01PM

Once there's a separate not-Cornell-hockey sports forum, there's the danger you're already seeing, that it goes all over the place. When the OT posts were on the main hockey forum, there's some self-restraint because you needed to not go too far overboard.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 21, 2006 11:21PM

Gee, what's with the thread nazi's all of a sudden... Oh no! They're discussing the wrong OT sports on the wrong OT sports forum! We must put an end to this!

I definitely agree with Bill, that by putting the OT forums, its encouraging OT posting. Rather than the very rare OT post here, they're now a regular feature elsewhere. Plus its leading to all this anal retentiveness about what goes where.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: January 21, 2006 11:27PM

DeltaOne81
Gee, what's with the thread nazi's all of a sudden... Oh no! They're discussing the wrong OT sports on the wrong OT sports forum! We must put an end to this!

Godwin's Law notwithstanding, I think you're taking the meta-discussion too personally. Multiple fora is a new structure for us, so it's natural to sort of feel around everyone's take for how the division should work, to work out what the consensus is.

Posted by: PinkyGen (---.DATANET.NYU.EDU)
Date: January 21, 2006 11:28PM

It didn't really seem to me that we needed an OT. Unlike many other forums, its rare threads get bumped to the second page until they are truly dead. (The one exception is the ticket thread, which by all means should have its own forum).

At least bring Cornell Sports back on to the main page. I like just seeing the score, even without opening the thread.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 22, 2006 12:25AM

jtwcornell91
DeltaOne81
thread nazi

Godwin's Law notwithstanding,

It was more a Seinfeld reference... is there a Jerry's Law? :-P

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login