Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Maine UMD game thread

Posted by Mike K 
Maine UMD game thread
Posted by: Mike K (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 27, 2005 08:04PM

can somebody keep me posted, i cant seem to get the audio for some reason.

Re: Maine UMD game thread
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 27, 2005 08:11PM

Mike K
can somebody keep me posted, i cant seem to get the audio for some reason.
1-0 Maine after one. Goal scored after 13 seconds. Shots 18-4 for UMD.

Posted by: Will (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 27, 2005 08:42PM

Apparently UMD has taken over the game and is now leading 3-1.

Posted by: A-19 (---.echryh01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 27, 2005 08:42PM

accprding to uscho, it's umd 3 maine 1, not sure if it's pd 2 or 3

Date: December 27, 2005 08:49PM

Shots now 31-13, UMD. 3 min to go in 2nd.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.0.124.85.adsl.snet.net)
Date: December 27, 2005 08:54PM

Come March, which team is better for Cornell to see tomorrow?

If it's UMD and Cornell wins, we'll be sitting here as they play Wisconsin, NoDak, CC, and Minnesota down the stretch praying they pull the RPI over .500. If Cornell loses, we'll be hoping they stay below .500. A CU win over UMD also helps in common opponent comparisons. It'll be Cornell's only WCHA direct connection (providing a cop comparison against that whole conference) and one of only a few secondary ones (Brown played UMD, Harvard at NoDak coming up, SLU at WI in October, and a few others).

On the other hand, playing Maine provides the chance of a quality win bonus if Cornell can win and Maine can stay in the RPI t-10. It would also provide some common opponent help against HEA, which is a weaker conference than the WCHA.

Is there really any way to tell which team is the "better" opponent statistically without knowing how both will do down the stretch? It seems they both have considerable upsides if Cornell beats them. Either way a win helps and a loss can cost some valuable comparisons come selection time.

Obviously this question will be moot unless Maine wakes up, but any thoughts?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: December 27, 2005 09:39PM

Why is Maine tanking? Do they have significant losses to the WJC?

Posted by: A-19 (---.echryh01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 27, 2005 09:48PM

4-1 (eng) final in estero. it's umd v cornell tomorrow for the championship.

Date: December 27, 2005 10:14PM

Trotsky
Why is Maine tanking? Do they have significant losses to the WJC?
According to a post on USCHO, Matt Niskanen, a freshman defenseman, is playing for the USA Jrs.

Edit: Oops. Sorry. Niskanen plays for UMD. Guess that makes us even tomorrow night in terms of WJC "losses."
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2005 10:22PM by Al DeFlorio.

Posted by: Doug '08 (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 27, 2005 10:15PM

Hmmm, I wonder if their offensive is always this potent? I had been assuming all the way it would be us and Maine in the finals, although I must say UMD's domination over Maine was impressive, outshooting Maine by a 2-1 margin!

I like our chances of beating them better, however I must say I was really hoping for a shot at a quality ranked opponent in Maine. Although who knows, maybe that win will spark something. They have already beaten Minnesota, CC, and now Maine, so I hope our boys don't underestimate them because they are obviously very capable of pulling the upset.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.patmedia.net)
Date: December 27, 2005 10:21PM

If we win, it'd probably have been better for us to play UMD. That way we'd have a lot of 1-0 comparisons in the COP category against WCHA clubs. Of course, if we lose, the reverse is true.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.0.127.228.adsl.snet.net)
Date: December 27, 2005 11:58PM

DeltaOne81
If we win, it'd probably have been better for us to play UMD. That way we'd have a lot of 1-0 comparisons in the COP category against WCHA clubs. Of course, if we lose, the reverse is true.

That's what I thought too, but as it turns out Cornell amazingly already has at least one common opponent with every WCHA team. For example, losing to Union has losing Cornell the COP with CC (a team that could very well be battling Cornell for seeding down the line). CC is 1-0 (an early win over UC) and Cornell is 0-1. Tomorrow CC will become 2-1 (with two more left with UMD and split the first series) and Cornell can try to get back to 1-1. Losing tomorrow would cost Cornell that COP comparison for good (unless CC somehow gets swept by UMD and Cornell draws and beats Union in the playoffs). Sadly, it's these little things that can make or break whether Cornell gets in the tourney and where it gets seeded.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.patmedia.net)
Date: December 28, 2005 11:32AM

Chris '03
DeltaOne81

That's what I thought too, but as it turns out Cornell amazingly already has at least one common opponent with every WCHA team. For example, losing to Union has losing Cornell the COP with CC (a team that could very well be battling Cornell for seeding down the line). CC is 1-0 (an early win over UC) and Cornell is 0-1. Tomorrow CC will become 2-1 (with two more left with UMD and split the first series) and Cornell can try to get back to 1-1. Losing tomorrow would cost Cornell that COP comparison for good (unless CC somehow gets swept by UMD and Cornell draws and beats Union in the playoffs). Sadly, it's these little things that can make or break whether Cornell gets in the tourney and where it gets seeded.

One note on the CC thing - we still play Union away, so a win toight and then would make us 2-1 in the COP with CC. Nonethless, that's interesting and I didn't notice.

My general point still stands, but not as strongly. Playing UMD will have a larger effect on our COP comparisons, since we're likely to have only 3 or 4 games, if that, with each... as opposed to HE where there's a lot more interaction. Of course, if we don't win, that's a bad thing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login