Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

[ot] hahvahd sucks but... fitzpatrick

Posted by jy3 
[ot] hahvahd sucks but... fitzpatrick
Posted by: jy3 (---.buff.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 27, 2005 10:11PM

hahvahd sucks but cant help but cheer for an ivy leaguer having success.
after hahvahd was undefeated last year...
ryan leads the rams to a win today
[www.nfl.com]
[www.nfl.com]
Position: QB
Height: 6-2
Weight: 221
Born: 11/24/1982
College: Harvard
NFL Experience: Rookie

congrats

Re: [ot] hahvahd sucks but... fitzpatrick
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 27, 2005 10:37PM

Fitzpatrick beat us essentially single-handedly last year in the game at Harvard. Helluva QB.

Posted by: HeafDog (---.hbo.com)
Date: November 28, 2005 11:07AM

I didn't watch the game, but he looked great on paper and in the NFL Primetime highlights. I'm with you guys -- good for him.

(On a side note, however, it was a bit unfair for Tom Jackson and Chris Berman to say that he's the smartest QB in the history of the Rams' organization. Just because athletes went to Harvard or Cornell or wherever doesn't necessarily make them smart. rolleyes )

Posted by: jaybert (---.citlabs.cornell.edu)
Date: November 28, 2005 11:21AM

well, he did score off the charts in the test they take at the rookie combine.....forget the name of it but they felt it was necessary to mention since he pretty much destroyed the test.

[Q]
Fitzpatrick has also drawn considerable attention for his perfect score of 50 on the Wonderlic test at the NFL Combine. In the more than 30 years of the NFL using the test, Fitzpatrick was just the second to register a perfect score. And he did so using just nine of the alloted 12 minutes.
[/Q]

so yes, by their test, he really is the smartest player ever to join the NFL :)

Posted by: jaybert (---.citlabs.cornell.edu)
Date: November 28, 2005 11:21AM

well, he did score off the charts in the test they take at the rookie combine.....forget the name of it but they felt it was necessary to mention since he pretty much destroyed the test.

[Q]Fitzpatrick has also drawn considerable attention for his perfect score of 50 on the Wonderlic test at the NFL Combine. In the more than 30 years of the NFL using the test, Fitzpatrick was just the second to register a perfect score. And he did so using just nine of the alloted 12 minutes.[/Q]

so yes, by their test, he really is the smartest player ever to join the NFL :)

Posted by: HeafDog (---.hbo.com)
Date: November 28, 2005 11:46AM

[Q]Jason L Wrote:

Fitzpatrick has also drawn considerable attention for his perfect score of 50 on the Wonderlic test at the NFL Combine. In the more than 30 years of the NFL using the test, Fitzpatrick was just the second to register a perfect score. And he did so using just nine of the alloted 12 minutes.
[/Q]
so yes, by their test, he really is the smartest player ever to join the NFL [/q]

Ah, yes, that's true. Forgot about that. Cool! :-D

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 28, 2005 12:17PM

[Q]HeafDog Wrote:

Jason L Wrote:

[/Q]
so yes, by their test, he really is the smartest player ever to join the NFL [/Q]
Ah, yes, that's true. Forgot about that. Cool![/q]
Well, if he's competing with graduates of University High in Florida, it should be no surprise. yark

[www.nytimes.com]

Posted by: jkahn (216.146.73.---)
Date: November 28, 2005 12:45PM

I've read in some places that the 50 is a rumor and that he actually scored a 38. However, a 38 is still considered an A+ at Harvard.
Checking on it, I found an article on a St. Louis Rams website quoting Fitzpatrick saying that he had a 38.
[www.clanram.com]

15 sample questions appear here:
[espn.go.com]

Posted by: kaelistus (---.mak.com)
Date: November 28, 2005 02:17PM

Well... Looking at the samples - I messed up the math on one of them so I got 14/15.
Extrapolating conservatively gives me ---> 46/50!

Wooo! I'm smarter than every current NFL player!!!
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2005 02:32PM by kaelistus.

Posted by: BCrespi (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 28, 2005 03:24PM

I'm pretty sure it also entails working the problems out under a pretty short time limit. Additionally, we've all taken tests that have had a major part in determining our future, say the SATs, LSATs, MCATs, etc. Now imagine you were taking these 50 simple questions under a time-limit with your career and millions of dollars at stake. Those questions might be a bit tougher.

Posted by: kaelistus (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 28, 2005 07:50PM

Well the time limit existed on the little sample test so that's out. I made sure to match the same time as the real test. (Hence, stupid math error)

In fact time is really the whole test. Most educated people I suspect can get every single one of these questions, but they have 14.4 seconds per question!

Anyway, I just realized that I meant my last comment to be tongue in cheek, but it didn't come out that way... This isn't an intelligence test. Its a test on how quickly you can process simple number/logic calculations and follow instructions. By default, engineers should do better than football players.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.rgv.res.rr.com)
Date: November 29, 2005 12:11AM

[Q]HeafDog Wrote:
On a side note, however, it was a bit unfair for Tom Jackson and Chris Berman to say that he's the smartest QB in the history of the Rams' organization.[/q]

Especially considering that Pat Haden was a Rhodes Scholar.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: heykb (131.249.12.---)
Date: November 29, 2005 08:58AM

[Q]HeafDog Wrote:

(On a side note, however, it was a bit unfair for Tom Jackson and Chris Berman to say that he's the smartest QB in the history of the Rams' organization... )[/q]

I feel the need to point out that Pat Haden was a Rhodes scholar. [oops, just noticed it's already been noted.] I went to high school with Pat for a year. He is pretty bright.

OTOH, it's entirely possible that Fitzpatrick is indeed the smartest QB in NFL history. I grew up a Rams fan and have fired them as my favorite team since their ownership has been nuts for a decade or so now. Maybe it's time to consider taking them back. ;-)

Karl
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2005 09:00AM by heykb.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.nrl.navy.mil)
Date: November 29, 2005 09:21AM

[Q]jkahn Wrote:

15 sample questions appear here:[/q]
Should any of those questions except number 11 take more than 3 to 5 seconds to solve?

Posted by: KeithK (192.91.147.---)
Date: November 29, 2005 12:14PM

[q]In fact time is really the whole test. Most educated people I suspect can get every single one of these questions, but they have 14.4 seconds per question![/q]Yes, the test is all about time. Playing pro football doesn't require you to be a genius. As complicated as they've become, NFL formations and plays are not rocket science. But you do need to be able to assess game situations quickly and make good decisions quickly based on the information you've gathered.

Posted by: jimmy (---.opac.cornell.edu)
Date: November 29, 2005 12:49PM

Just found this on ESPN.com. Mel Kiper Jr. has Kevin Boothe listed fourth among all the senior guards in the nation. Pretty impressive. I was just wondering when was the last time a Cornell student was drafted to the NFL. Anybody know?

Guards
1. Jason Spitz, Louisville
2. Rob Sims, Ohio St.
3. Max Jean-Gilles, Georgia
4. Kevin Boothe, Cornell
5. Davin Joseph, Oklahoma

And here's what Mel had to say about him

Offensive Line
Kevin Boothe, Cornell -- It doesn't look like there will be many, if any, blue-chip non-Division I-A players in the 2006 draft. One who has emerged comes from the Ivy League, and Boothe will be the first non-Division I-A player drafted. He's big (6-4, 327 pounds) and versatile, having played left tackle, right tackle and guard. He'll bring a lot of versatility when he comes into the NFL. He's got long arms and he's strong and technically sound, with decent foot work. Boothe really toys with the defensive ends he's playing against. If he does well in the postseason all-star games and at the combine workout, he certainly could be a second- or third-round draft choice. Boothe is the top non-Division I-A prospect in this draft.

Boothe is a three-time All-Ivy selection, including a two-time first-team pick. His tremendous size and quickness, along with a great understanding of the game, has put him on the NFL radar screen entering his final season. He made the transition from right guard to right tackle with ease last season and has since been shifted to left tackle. He was the only unanimous first-team Ancient Eight selection on the offensive line in 2004 and has been named a preseason All-American by the Sports Network and I-AA.org.

Posted by: RichH (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: November 29, 2005 01:18PM

[Q]jimmy Wrote:

Just found this on ESPN.com. Mel Kiper Jr. has Kevin Boothe listed fourth among all the senior guards in the nation. Pretty impressive. I was just wondering when was the last time a Cornell student was drafted to the NFL. Anybody know?[/q]

[www.nfl.com]

A Harvard Man Aces His First N.F.L. Test
Posted by: johnnieAg'99 (---.equityresources.com)
Date: November 29, 2005 01:55PM

Hard or not, 50 or 38, he supposedly had the highest Wonderlic score ever- although he may have tied Sucks' Pat McNally - but punters don't really count.

Nice to see some pub in the NYT too.

[www.nytimes.com]

RAnybody disagree with the answer for question 6??
Posted by: TimV (---.amc.edu)
Date: November 29, 2005 03:40PM

Seems to me all the shapes except #5 have at least 2 paralel (how do you spell that??)sides. # 5 has no sides paralel... nut

Re: RAnybody disagree with the answer for question 6??
Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.chem.cornell.edu)
Date: November 29, 2005 03:45PM

[Q]TimV Wrote:

Seems to me all the shapes except #5 have at least 2 paralel (how do you spell that??)sides. # 5 has no sides paralel... [/q]

That was actually my original thought when I first looked at that question.

Re: RAnybody disagree with the answer for question 6??
Posted by: Jacob 03 (---.carlsl01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: November 29, 2005 04:42PM

[Q]TimV Wrote:

Seems to me all the shapes except #5 have at least 2 paralel (how do you spell that??)sides. # 5 has no sides paralel... [/q]

I guess being able to interpret (grasp? guess? divine?) someone's intent despite inarticulate instruction would be a much more useful skill in professional football than any other for which Wonderlic probably tests.

Re: A Harvard Man Aces His First N.F.L. Test
Posted by: jy3 (---.buff.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 29, 2005 10:05PM

[Q]johnnieAg'99 Wrote:

Hard or not, 50 or 38, he supposedly had the highest Wonderlic score ever- although he may have tied Sucks' Pat McNally - but punters don't really count.

Nice to see some pub in the NYT too.

[/q]

ouch, that link doesnt work with firefox :)

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 29, 2005 10:44PM

[Q]RichH Wrote:

jimmy Wrote:

Just found this on ESPN.com. Mel Kiper Jr. has Kevin Boothe listed fourth among all the senior guards in the nation. Pretty impressive. I was just wondering when was the last time a Cornell student was drafted to the NFL. Anybody know?[/Q]
[/q]

This link goes further back. I'm not sure why NFL.com's website doesn't go past 1982. Marinaro is the only Cornellian to go higher than the 4th round; he was drafted 24th in the 2nd round (50th overall)in 1972, although tackle Frank Wydo was drafted 29th overall (4th pick in the 5th round) in 1947.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login