Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell 4 @ Yale 2 post-game thread (11/4)

Posted by billhoward 
Cornell 4 @ Yale 2 post-game thread (11/4)
Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 05, 2005 01:17AM

Sloppy game won by the better team with the better fans and better band.

This had to have been a record-setting peformance for penalty minutes even if Kevin Pettit '71 was nowhere near the building. The officiating may have been inconsistent, but it was a rugged game. Rugged especially on Yale's part. (Box score says 45 penalties, 188 minutes, a Cornell record, meaning I believe a record for Cornell for PIM total for both teams.) From my Cornell bias, I'd say Cornell was not blameless, but Yale was the tougher/rougher/cruder team even if Cornell got 89 PIM to Yale's 79.
[Edit: However many, it was a lot even before the final shootout at OK Corral. USCHO box says 89 Cornell + 79 Yale penalty minutes which as Beeeej notes would be more like 168 minutes. Cornell game story says "a total of 45 infractions for a Cornell school-record 188 minutes" Yale game story (they must believe it ungentlemanly to note penalty minutes) cites no total, only, "Yale continued to apply the pressure despite the two-goal deficit and things got testy around the Cornell net. With 46.8 seconds left, a McKee save, followed by Bulldogs crashing the crease, set the players off and numerous altercations broke out. It took 10 minutes for the officials to straighten things out." Inside College Hockey [www.collegehockeystats.net] also says 89 + 79 and lists all the penalties in the expanded box. Pokoluk is DQ'd for Brown game; Carefoot, Mugord, and Bitz got 10 minute misconducts that expired with the game's end.]

Cornell got balanced scoring: even strength, man short, power play, empty net. Moulson continues to get great chances whether he scores or not. He almost had one on a backhander at an impossible angle.

The second power play unit did not impress ... until Mugford got the puck in the corner to Pegoraro, who took forever looking for an open man. Too long, I thought, he's gonna get smothered, and then a second later he flicked it to Sawada just outside the faceoff circle and Sawada rammed home a laser. That made it 3-2 and it was to be the winning goal.

Yale's PK was very good especially early on. They came out and harassed the Cornell point men. Cornell was 1x9 on PP (Yale 1x11), but it's not that bad a % because a bunch ran only 30 seconds before the other team got whistled off, too. The bulk of penalties came at the end when after one save Yale piled on top of McKee, Cornell took exception to Yale smothering the goalie, and tempers flared. The only thing missing from this being an NHL caliber brawl was that nobody took repeated full swings.

Yale's bench extends over the blue line at the end Cornell defends in the second period and they have a nice play of hanging a player right at the blue line waiting for a long home run pass. It's especially effective in the second where it's hard to tell if he's on the ice or one more white and blue uniform on the bench. We almost got caught a couple times.

Mckee and the defense didn't look solid at the beginning but he had his A-game by the third period. There was a momentary heart-stoppage when Yale tied the score at 3-apiece, but actually it was just an overly enthusiastic Yale goal judge who thought the puck was going in, and play continued on. McKee was sensational late on, and is worth every penny he would be getting if this was a scholarhship school.

There were a couple minutes in the third when it felt Yale might actually tie the game and hold on through overtime. Tim Taylor is a good fundamentals coach and he can surprise a better team a couple times a year (just not in the playoffs, when Yale's song isn't Boola, Boola but One and Done). Both teams had 29 shots on goal. That seems unbelievable, Yale matching Cornell in SOG.

It's too bad for the Cornell assistant coaches that the penalty-fest was on their watch (Schafer got a one game suspension after MSU, served at Yale, although people said they spotted him in the building, just not near the bench) because some people may think it was them who let the players get out of hand. Cornell got riled by Yale a couple times and retaliated, but Cornell also took a couple unnecessary penalties.

After Michigan State and now this, Cornell may get an unfair rep as a good squad. As opposed to big, tough, not backing down from any other team ... and yes, also making some early season mistakes.

All that discussion about the best way to get Yale tickets? There were a couple hundred free seats throughout the game. You could have just showed up and bought tickets at Ingalls.

No matter how (un)crowded, it's bloody noisy in there. The architecture is naturally noisy, and lacks the sound insulation provided at Lynah by all those championship banners.

There were a lot of big players on both sides and some of the checks were awesome. Bitz and soembody else gargantuan rammed each other into the boards right where a Cornell fan a couple feet away had propped his covered but vulnerable Coke cup on the dasherboard ledge. It sent the cup flying without anyone getting too badly soaked.

If you sat up close, you got to see Cornell's pants weren't just worn, they are close to decrepit. Doesn't affect the quality of hockey any, but if this were the NBA, David Stern would probably have issued an in-the-arena dress code edict.

It's a good thing we split with Michigan State last week. If we'd lost both games, this would have been career win No. 200 for Mike Schafer.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2005 08:23AM by billhoward.

Re: Cornell 4 @ Yale @ post-game thread (11/4)
Posted by: Beeeej (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 05, 2005 03:44AM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:
(Box score says 45 penalties, 188 minutes, a Cornell record, meaning I believe a record for Cornell for PIM total for both teams.)[/q]

Hardly. First of all, 89+79=168 PIM total for last night, not 188. Second, we once had 185 handed out on one stoppage of play, a league record 217 total for the game. See also "Shtrom, Leeor."

[www.tbrw.info]

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2005 04:00AM by Beeeej.

Posted by: KenSt (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 05, 2005 07:17AM

1100 at Meehan at night. Never could understand the total student/community apathy.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 05, 2005 08:14AM

Interesting to note that from late in the second period until the end of the game Scott seemed to be skating with Bitz and Moulson while Sawada skated with the Pegoraro line, even while even-strength. Could be that with so much time skating power plays (where Scott always skates with Moulson and Bitz and Sawada is on the second unit with Pegs) and shorthanded they didn't want to "mix up" the lines during seemingly rare five-on-five play. Or maybe they were just experimenting with different linemates.

Re: Cornell 4 @ Yale 2 post-game thread (11/4)
Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.gunnery.org)
Date: November 05, 2005 08:34AM

Not a good game for Cornell. The defense was really bad again with the exception of Pokuluk who I thought played really well. I'm not sure I've seen a Schafer team get physically beaten the way Yale beat Cornell last night. The game played perfectly for Yale, with no flow and they finished every check. I thought Cornell was going to lose going into the third period. Happy they found a way to win. Tonight is going to be tough going against a Brown team that was embarrassed in their own place last night. No Pokuluk and Chris Abbott possibly out as well.

Date: November 05, 2005 09:17AM

[Q]Al DeFlorio Wrote: Interesting to note that from late in the second period until the end of the game Scott seemed to be skating with Bitz and Moulson while Sawada skated with the Pegoraro line, even while even-strength. Could be that with so much time skating power plays (where Scott always skates with Moulson and Bitz and Sawada is on the second unit with Pegs) and shorthanded they didn't want to "mix up" the lines during seemingly rare five-on-five play. Or maybe they were just experimenting with different linemates.[/q]That would be a better and more logical explanation than that the assistant coaches, even with this many years experience, saw the game slipping from Cornell's control and started tinkering. Yale played a solid game with good penalty kill and aggressive checking (to put it mildly), and Cornell had some incredible chances not go in, such as Bitz's (?) shot at a yawning open net in the first period where the net, what a coincidence, came dislodged. Had Cornell tied or lost, there'd be a lot of second-guessing. Cornell beat Vermont 2-1 at Lynah last year with Schafer suspended one game for criticizing ECACHL officiating. Funny, I thought you were supposed to be rewarded for performing a needed public service.

Posted by: Mike Hedrick 01 (---.arlngt01.va.comcast.net)
Date: November 05, 2005 10:42AM

Ian Burt did a heck of a job in that scrap, considering Leorr started it, both by skating down the ice and throwing the first puch. For a while it looked like they were just going to scrap and then Leorr just lost it.

I had a great view, as I sat in the first row of G that year.

Posted by: Mike Hedrick 01 (---.arlngt01.va.comcast.net)
Date: November 05, 2005 10:44AM

Heh, that should have read "looked like they were just going to chat" before Leorr started throwing punches.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 05, 2005 10:54AM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

such as Bitz's (?) shot at a yawning open net in the first period where the net, what a coincidence, came dislodged. [/q]

Just a note, the net coming dislodged was inconsequential. Yes, Bitz did have a shot at a wide-open net, but the Yale defensemen got his stick in front of the shot at the very last moment, and the shot deflected up into the netting behind the goal.

Posted by: Bio '04 (---.cas.psu.edu)
Date: November 05, 2005 11:11AM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

After Michigan State and now this, Cornell may get an unfair rep as a good squad.

[/Q]

good squad or goon squad? :-)

Otherwise, thanks for that thorough recap!

Posted by: Trigger (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 05, 2005 11:15AM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:
No Pokuluk and Chris Abbott possibly out as well.

I know why Pokulok isn't in, but did Chris Abbott get hurt? And while I'm on the subject, how did Carefoot look? I know he got a goal and a game misconduct, so he must not have been hurting too bad, but I thought he was going to miss these two games with his charley horse.

Posted by: JimHyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 05, 2005 11:25AM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:
After Michigan State and now this, Cornell may get an unfair rep as a good(my emphasis) squad. As opposed to big, tough, not backing down from any other team ...
Edited 2 times. Last edit at 11/05/05 08:23AM by billhoward.[/q]Bill, I'll take that rep :-D
Maybe one more edit laugh

Posted by: jibjab (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: November 05, 2005 11:37AM

[Q]Mike Hedrick 01 Wrote:

Heh, that should have read "looked like they were just going to chat" before Leorr started throwing punches.[/q]

I talked to Ian Burt at the afterglow that weekend, and he basically said that they were just chatting for a while while watching the others go at it. Then Leeor, who I guess was getting antsy, said "Hey, you wanna go?" or something similar. Burt, good-naturedly: "I don't know, you could probably kick my a**." Leeor: "Only one way to find out..." And then the punches started flying.

Pretty amusing.

Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: November 05, 2005 12:24PM

A few questions for those who were there...

1) Did we have trouble clearing the zone on the pk? listening from the radio it sounded like Yale had little trouble setting up their pp and keeping it our zone...if so was it their good puck possession or our inability to win battles along the boards and pressure their passing lanes?

2) How did Mugford look on the PP?

3) Did we have the same problem protecting the crease last night that seemed to haunt us at Lynah last weekend?

4) and 5) What was the best and worst part(s) of our game?

Thanks!

Posted by: jas27 (66.9.198.---)
Date: November 05, 2005 01:05PM

Just some observations from the game for those folks who were only able to catch it on audio

1.) PK wasn't terrible and McCutcheoun seems to have solidified a nice niche roll in PK. He was buzzing.
2.) Yale was winning the loose pucks for most of the first half and looked hungrier. Granted the penalites didn't help with the flow.
3.) Mugford, for all I've read about his akward skating, was the hardest working player out there - with apologies to Sawada. Both players created opportunities by outworking the Yale defensemen on the forecheck.
4.) Cornell passing from the breakout into the neutral zone was a problem. I couldn't tell if it was the forwards getting ahead of the play, or the D not hitting the pass, but once that first pass breaks down - your stuffed.
5.) Yale's goalie (Garnter) is going to cost them a game sometime this year with his overzealous desire to handle the puck.
6.) The refs need to continue to call obstruction/hooking/interference, just not when it's a hard hit. There were calls on both teams for solid finishing checks (with a little bite). The agenda was evident.
7.) If the linesmen had jumped in earlier when a Yale player was on top of McKee, the whole mess at the end could have been prevented. The most ammusing aspect of the whole scrum was during the cooling off period: O'Byrne had Boucher with one hand on his collar, real nonchalantly. Every time Boucher made a move to skate in any direction, O'Byrne would reign him back in like a dog trainer and a new puppy. O'Byrne slipped a couple of quality facewashes in there for good measure.
8.) Fun & loud rink. Did anybody else find the the Yale band's dancing girl to be rather obnoxious? I wanted to toss her an instrument and point out that her bandmates were currently getting upstaged.

Posted by: dbilmes (---.37.117.26.adsl.snet.net)
Date: November 05, 2005 01:11PM

1) Yes, we definitely did. I think it was the second goal that happened right after we returned to full strength. We'd had the puck on our stick and couldn't clear the zone a few seconds earlier. Yale regained possession, and boom.

2) Mugford was good. I didn't notice him too much, though.

3) I thought we were doing OK with that, but I didn't have a good view of all the action in the third period. It was further out where we were having problems. We weren't doing a great job of picking up the Yalies as they were coming into the zone. They got some great looks simply because there was no one on them.

4) The best part, not that there are many candidates, was McKee's third-period goaltending. I thought it was going to be tied for certain, especially the one time that the red light went on briefly, then turned off. We did have some great offensive setups, especially with Topher, but that was to be expected against a team like Yale.

5) The worst part was our inability to get setup with the second powerplay unit. It took a lot of pressure off of Yale when they saw that once the first line was on the bench because they knew they would be able to clear with relative ease.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 05, 2005 01:19PM

I'll give it a shot....

[Q]
1) Did we have trouble clearing the zone on the pk? listening from the radio it sounded like Yale had little trouble setting up their pp and keeping it our zone...if so was it their good puck possession or our inability to win battles along the boards and pressure their passing lanes?[/q]

I definitely didn't sense any great trouble on the PK. 10/11 on the kill, and I don't think it was just luck or all David McKee. There were definitely times where Yale had pressure and time to set-up, but I didn't think it was any more than you'd expect from a power play unit.

[q]2) How did Mugford look on the PP?[/q]

I can't attest to Mugford individually, but the 2nd unit continues to appear clueless out there. Yes, they got the game-winning goal, (on a very nice feed from Pegs to Sawada), but other than that whenever they were out there they looked futile. Horrible spacing, couldn't handle an aggressive Yale kill. It's frustrating when half our PP time during the night feels useless.

[q]3) Did we have the same problem protecting the crease last night that seemed to haunt us at Lynah last weekend?[/q]

It definitely seemed like there were some issues in the 1st and 3rd periods, although I was at the opposite end so I can't detail. The 2nd period seemed fine -- I don't recall McKee having to make any difficult saves in the 2nd.

[q]4) and 5) What was the best and worst part(s) of our game?[/q]

Best: First 10 minutes. A lot of folks keep saying we were fortunate Yale didn't win...we got some lucky bounces at hte end, etc. Well, I could easily counter by saying Yale was lucky it wasn't 3-0 after the first 10 minutes. Obviously we were aided by a string of PP's, but we were definitely taking advantage, we were moving in the offesive zone, creating chances, throwing pucks at the net, and really making Gartner earn it in the first 10 minutes.

Worst: Breaking out of our own zone and gaining the red line when players named Pokulok, Bitz, or Moulson aren't involved.

Thanks![/q]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2005 01:21PM by Jordan 04.

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: November 05, 2005 01:39PM

Looking at the collegehockeystats box score...[www.collegehockeystats.net]

Evan Barlow got a 10 min misconduct at 17:29 of the second period. I thought this meant that he was out for the rest of the game, but apparently not, as he also served "17" of Sasha Pokulok's 19 minutes at 19:14 of the third period.

Is this because of the exceptional circumstances at the end of the game? Or did Barlow not really leave the game?

Posted by: RichH (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: November 05, 2005 01:46PM

[Q]Liz '05 Wrote:

Looking at the collegehockeystats box score...

Evan Barlow got a 10 min misconduct at 17:29 of the second period. I thought this meant that he was out for the rest of the game, but apparently not, as he also served "17" of Sasha Pokulok's 19 minutes at 19:14 of the third period.

Is this because of the exceptional circumstances at the end of the game? Or did Barlow not really leave the game?[/q]

A "10-minute misconduct" means you can't play for a 10-minute period and can re-enter the game after serving. Your team doesn't skate a man down without a minor or a major penalty.

A "10-minute game misconduct" means you are ineligible to play for the rest of the game. For penalty minute calculations, it counts as 10 PIM.

A "10-minute game disqualification" means you are ineligible to play for the rest of the game, and in the NCAA you are suspended for at least the next game (depending on your prior DQs). For penalty minute calculations, it counts as 10 PIMs.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2005 01:47PM by RichH.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 05, 2005 01:47PM

[Q]dbilmes Wrote:

...I think it was the second goal that happened right after we returned to full strength. We'd had the puck on our stick and couldn't clear the zone a few seconds earlier. Yale regained possession, and boom.
[/q]

Exactly. It was agonizing watching us fumble the puck around with several good opportunities to get it cleared. It was one of those situations where you watched it unfold while saying to yourself "this is gonna end up with something bad happening."

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: November 05, 2005 02:19PM

[Q]RichH Wrote:
A "10-minute misconduct" means you can't play for a 10-minute period and can re-enter the game after serving. Your team doesn't skate a man down without a minor or a major penalty.

A "10-minute game misconduct" means you are ineligible to play for the rest of the game. For penalty minute calculations, it counts as 10 PIM.

A "10-minute game disqualification" means you are ineligible to play for the rest of the game, and in the NCAA you are suspended for at least the next game (depending on your prior DQs). For penalty minute calculations, it counts as 10 PIMs.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 11/05/05 01:47PM by RichH.[/q]

Ahh...thanks, Rich. I guess I didn't realize there was both a misconduct and game misconduct. (Though, thanks to this forum, I'm well aware of the difference between the latter two.)

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: November 05, 2005 02:21PM

[Q]Al DeFlorio Wrote:It was one of those situations where you watched it unfold while saying to yourself "this is gonna end up with something bad happening."[/q]
Isn't that true of any trip to New Haven?

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.adsl.snet.net)
Date: November 05, 2005 03:11PM

[Q]RichH Wrote:

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 11/05/05 01:47PM by RichH.[/Q][/q]

These are usually just announced as "game misconduct" and "game DQ", right? Or is this something else? Can't say I remember hearing the phrase "10 minute game" on the PA system over the years.

And yes, after they sent Sasha to the locker room, Barlow did indeed go the the box for the remaining 46.8 seconds to serve Sasha's time.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: November 05, 2005 03:22PM

The collegehockeystats.met box score says the referee was Chip McDonald. a name I don't recognize. Is he new or am I just being forgetful?

Posted by: ben03 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: November 05, 2005 03:40PM

as richH said above, IIRC you'll hear it announced as one of the following (although i'll defer to mr timekeeper for verification):

(a) 10 minute misconduct (player sits for 10 minutes): announced as 10 minute misconduct

(b) 10 minute misconduct + minor penalty (player sits for 12 minutes): announced 10 minute misconduct and minor

(c) 10 minute game disqualification + major penalty (fighting, boarding, charging, etc ...) announced Game DQ and major penalty. in this case the offending player must leave ice and a teammate serves the 5 minute penalty. as was the case last night.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2005 03:42PM by ben03.

Posted by: billhoward (---.ziffdavis.com)
Date: November 05, 2005 05:32PM

[Q]KeithK Wrote: The collegehockeystats.met box score says the referee was Chip McDonald. a name I don't recognize. Is he new or am I just being forgetful?[/q]Think "More than 11 billion minutes served."

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 06, 2005 05:54AM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:
If you sat up close, you got to see Cornell's pants weren't just worn, they are close to decrepit. Doesn't affect the quality of hockey any, but if this were the NBA, David Stern would probably have issued an in-the-arena dress code edict. [/q]
I happen to know that the new uniform pants came in last week, but were colored Colgate maroon. A mixed-up delivery between us and either them or Union or Harvard or however many other maroon pants-wearing teams is suspected. I think I would prefer decrepit pants to crimson pants.

Date: November 06, 2005 08:48AM

Even the existing pants tend a bit more toward maroon than pure red, it seemed, although red plus a year (ten years?) of wear and tear would cause the color shift as well. I'd call it dark red.

How many years does Cornell get out of its hockey pants?

Posted by: Robb (---.losaca.adelphia.net)
Date: November 06, 2005 09:00AM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:
How many years does Cornell get out of its hockey pants? [/q]
<insert obligitory joke about getting someone out of their pants>

:-D

Posted by: Battleship (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 06, 2005 02:36PM

How did Pokoluk do in his fight. I saw a couple of pics, but it was hard to tell from them. Thanks. bttlship@aol.com

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.37.144.71.adsl.snet.net)
Date: November 06, 2005 02:44PM

[Q]Battleship Wrote:

How did Pokoluk do in his fight. I saw a couple of pics, but it was hard to tell from them. Thanks. bttlship@aol.com[/q]

I think "fight" is a liberal use of the term. He danced around with a Yale skater who dropped his gloves. At some point I think they were one of the pairs that ended up on the ice.

I liked how when 6 yale skaters got into it with the 5 cornell skaters, four players from each side were given penalties. The officiating all night was a joke both ways. Welcome to the ECAC, Chip McDonald. Seems like you've been training hard at Noeth University. rolleyes

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.adsl.snet.net)
Date: November 06, 2005 03:30PM

[Q]Chris '03 Wrote:
I liked how when 6 yale skaters got into it with the 5 cornell skaters, four players from each side were given penalties. The officiating all night was a joke both ways. Welcome to the ECAC, Chip McDonald. Seems like you've been training hard at Noeth University. [/q]

To be fair, McKee saw the uneven numbers and got into it pretty good himself for a bit. Really coming out of a situation like that, especially with a 2 goal game and 47 seconds left, with even penalties is the about the only fair way to do it.

Don't get me wrong, Chip was awful, but I can't blame him for that. He easily coulda given 6 fighting majors (& associated DQs) each way, on one coulda gone to McKee. So be happy with the result ;-)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2005 07:33AM by DeltaOne81.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: November 07, 2005 02:28AM

[Q]Chris '03 Wrote:

Welcome to the ECAC, Chip McDonald. Seems like you've been training hard at Noeth University. [/q]

Or the University of Dell.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.harris.com)
Date: November 07, 2005 10:21AM

For old schoolers, L'Ecole Belanger.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 07, 2005 01:26PM

Shegos-Hansen Institute of Technology? :-}

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login