Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Harvard

Posted by MNetravali 
Harvard
Posted by: MNetravali (216.170.107.---)
Date: September 20, 2005 09:55PM

... sucks and so does Ted Donato. Does anyone disagree?
I look forward to sweeping them this year.

Re: Harvard
Posted by: French Rage (---.washdc.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: September 20, 2005 10:07PM

So, other than CSTV, has anything else indicated the game in 5:30 and not 7:00?

Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: September 20, 2005 10:11PM

Harvard's schedule says 5:30

[gocrimson.collegesports.com]

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 20, 2005 10:27PM

[Q]11/04/05 Quinnipiac Hartford, Conn. (Hartford Civic Center) 7:00 PM[/Q]

Anyone else feel like getting 10,000 Cornell fans to boo Hahvahd? ;) If it wasn't the same night at Cornell @ Yale... they know what they're doing, darn.

Posted by: MNetravali (216.170.107.---)
Date: September 20, 2005 10:34PM

I would if I could. I'm just happy they're televising our game against them.
Let it rain fish!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.public.uconn.edu)
Date: September 21, 2005 12:15PM

Cornell's atheltics site now says it's 5:30 to make it a doubleheader with Cornell/Penn hoops (also on CSTV). Hockey at 5:30, basketball at 8:30.

[cornellbigred.collegesports.com]

At least someone finally got a clue and realized that scheduling home hockey and basketball simulataneously is a losing propostition (for basketball). Naturally harvard hockey is the undercard.... Of course I've always been told that the ECAC(hl) mandates 7pm game times now so basketball would have to switch times to make doubleheaders. I guess that's the power of a tv contract with a "national" network.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.bc.yu.edu)
Date: September 21, 2005 02:06PM

I think the ECACHL "mandates" 7pm gametimes as opposed to later gametimes, e.g. the old 7:30pm Friday, 7pm Saturday scheme (or was that vice versa)?

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Pace (---.opac.cornell.edu)
Date: September 21, 2005 02:37PM

Oh I'm going. I'll be damned if I don't take the opportunity to boo Sucks at Lynah East during my senior year.

Posted by: redGrinch (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 21, 2005 11:42PM

Ummm, w/o offending all the Penn hoops fans out there, wouldn't it have been smarter for CSTV from a ratings standpoint to move the Cornell/Harvard game to 8 and televise the Cornell/Penn hoops game at 530pm? How can CSTV not want to see Lynah at its best (or worst depending on your perspective) in primetime? And from a Cornell standpoint, it's not like the Lynah fans will stream into the b-ball game after Harvard (the reverse is much more likely). PLUS, it's senior night AND it's Harvard.... it just seems wrong for it to be at 530pm.

And re: the ECACHL rules, wasn't the Clarkson/Cornell game pushed back to an 8pm start last year for CSTV friday night hockey?

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 22, 2005 12:06AM

[Q]redGrinch Wrote:

Ummm, w/o offending all the Penn hoops fans out there, wouldn't it have been smarter for CSTV from a ratings standpoint to move the Cornell/Harvard game to 8 and televise the Cornell/Penn hoops game at 530pm? How can CSTV not want to see Lynah at its best (or worst depending on your perspective) in primetime? And from a Cornell standpoint, it's not like the Lynah fans will stream into the b-ball game after Harvard (the reverse is much more likely). PLUS, it's senior night AND it's Harvard.... it just seems wrong for it to be at 530pm.

And re: the ECACHL rules, wasn't the Clarkson/Cornell game pushed back to an 8pm start last year for CSTV friday night hockey?[/q]

You're a Cornell fan and a hockey fan. Obviously Harvard/Cornell is the bigger draw for you. But if you think about CSTV's general audience, you'll realize that biggers ratings for the prime time slot is exactly why they'd put the basketball game on instead of the hockey game.

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: September 22, 2005 07:41AM

[Q]redGrinch Wrote:
And from a Cornell standpoint, it's not like the Lynah fans will stream into the b-ball game after Harvard (the reverse is much more likely). [/q]

Actually, there was a point two years ago (?) when Lynah fans/pep band DID stream into the bball (v. Princeton?) game. We're getting there for the hockey game, not the bball. Once we're there, we may as well stay for another game, but I'm really unlikely to get there anywhere near on time for the bball game if it's beforehand.

Posted by: ajec1 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: September 22, 2005 08:00AM

[Q]Jordan 04 Wrote:

redGrinch Wrote:

And re: the ECACHL rules, wasn't the Clarkson/Cornell game pushed back to an 8pm start last year for CSTV friday night hockey?[/Q]
You're a Cornell fan and a hockey fan. Obviously Harvard/Cornell is the bigger draw for you. But if you think about CSTV's general audience, you'll realize that biggers ratings for the prime time slot is exactly why they'd put the basketball game on instead of the hockey game.
[/q]

I don't know if I buy that ratings bit... it is either you put a good hockey game with two good squads on, or you put a mediocre basketball game between two below-mid major quality teams (Penn was so bad in the Tourney last year it was hilarious). I would find it hard to believe that Ivy basketball (what seems to equate to a three point shooting contest) would be half the draw of hockey, but then again, I come from a place that televises every hockey game and only a few basketball games (with a much better basketball squad to boot).

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.rgv.res.rr.com)
Date: September 22, 2005 08:49AM

[Q]Liz '05 Wrote:

redGrinch Wrote:
And from a Cornell standpoint, it's not like the Lynah fans will stream into the b-ball game after Harvard (the reverse is much more likely). [/Q]
Actually, there was a point two years ago (?) when Lynah fans/pep band DID stream into the bball (v. Princeton?) game. We're getting there for the hockey game, not the bball. Once we're there, we may as well stay for another game, but I'm really unlikely to get there anywhere near on time for the bball game if it's beforehand.[/q]

So under normal circumstances, this might work, except that it's Senior Night and most of us won't leave Lynah until long after the hockey game ends.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: September 22, 2005 11:45AM

[Q]I don't know if I buy that ratings bit... it is either you put a good hockey game with two good squads on, or you put a mediocre basketball game between two below-mid major quality teams (Penn was so bad in the Tourney last year it was hilarious). I would find it hard to believe that Ivy basketball (what seems to equate to a three point shooting contest) would be half the draw of hockey, but then again, I come from a place that televises every hockey game and only a few basketball games (with a much better basketball squad to boot).[/q]Think about how many college basketball games ESPN carries. They'll have numerous BumF--- U vs. Nowhere State games scheduled at all hours, particularly late in the season. Yet they don't carry any college hockey until April. I think this is pretty good anecdotal evidence that in the mind of sports network executives, and probably the average American sports fan, ANY college basketball > college hockey.

Misguided souls....

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.public.uconn.edu)
Date: September 22, 2005 12:33PM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:

Liz '05 Wrote:

redGrinch Wrote:
And from a Cornell standpoint, it's not like the Lynah fans will stream into the b-ball game after Harvard (the reverse is much more likely). [/Q]
Actually, there was a point two years ago (?) when Lynah fans/pep band DID stream into the bball (v. Princeton?) game. We're getting there for the hockey game, not the bball. Once we're there, we may as well stay for another game, but I'm really unlikely to get there anywhere near on time for the bball game if it's beforehand.[/Q]
So under normal circumstances, this might work, except that it's Senior Night and most of us won't leave Lynah until long after the hockey game ends.[/q]

I'd say even senior night most people are out of Lynah 45 min to an hour after the game ends which is when the basketball game starts.

The main factor in whether people will actually go from hockey over to basketball is probably going to be whether the game means a damn thing. If cornell is out of it by then, it will be a trickle. If it's the de facto ivy title game, newman will "fill up".

I'd be more concerned about people showing up on time for the hockey game. While it will surely (well with the state of the CU ticket office maybe not) be printed as 5:30 on the ticket, people are invariably stupid.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (206.254.3.---)
Date: September 22, 2005 01:15PM

[Q]Chris '03 Wrote:

I'd say even senior night most people are out of Lynah 45 min to an hour after the game ends which is when the basketball game starts.

The main factor in whether people will actually go from hockey over to basketball is probably going to be whether the game means a damn thing. If cornell is out of it by then, it will be a trickle. If it's the de facto ivy title game, newman will "fill up". [/q]

If Cornell really wants people to go to the basketball game after the hockey game, all they have to do is sell beer. Maybe let Dunbar's set up a concession stand.
:-D

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 22, 2005 01:51PM

[Q]Liz '05 Wrote:

redGrinch Wrote:
Actually, there was a point two years ago (?) when Lynah fans/pep band DID stream into the bball (v. Princeton?) game. We're getting there for the hockey game, not the bball. Once we're there, we may as well stay for another game, but I'm really unlikely to get there anywhere near on time for the bball game if it's beforehand.[/q]
And, for what it's worth, the pep band got screamed at by some random basketball fan for daring to stream in late. Future pep band managers of the world, split bands are a necessary evil.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 22, 2005 07:18PM

[Q]MNetravali Wrote:
... sucks and so does Ted Donato. Does anyone disagree?[/q]I wholeheartedly agree. Harvard SUCKS.

Posted by: jy3 (---.buff.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 22, 2005 07:48PM

quite excited that the game will be on cstv. this is why we got dtv this year ;)
oh and hahvahd sucks

Posted by: Anne 85 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: September 24, 2005 12:09PM

It's a miracle. The tickets for the Feb 18 game vs. Harvard do indeed give a game time of 5:30, as does the schedule that comes with the set of season tickets.

But, it's still going to be mighty strange heading for the rink before 5:00 on a Saturday. And I don't like having Harvard as the last home game of the regular season. Having to deal with the fish smell on Senior Night is less than ideal.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login