Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Rationalization for a wounded fanbase

Posted by RichH 
Rationalization for a wounded fanbase
Posted by: RichH (216.195.201.---)
Date: March 16, 2007 12:00PM

Forcast for Albany, NY: Snow...heavy at times. Low 26F. Winds NE at 15 to 25 mph. Snow accumulating 10 to 15 inches.

National Weather Service
A HEAVY SNOW WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR THE LAKE GEORGE
SARATOGA REGION...GREATER CAPITAL DISTRICT...EASTERN
CATSKILLS...NORTHERN TACONICS...NORTHERN BERKSHIRES AND SOUTHERN
VERMONT...FROM 10 AM THIS MORNING TO 2 PM EDT SATURDAY.

SNOW WILL BEGIN ACROSS THIS REGION LATE THIS MORNING OR EARLY
THIS AFTERNOON. IT WILL BECOME HEAVY AT TIMES AND CONTINUE
THROUGH SATURDAY MORNING. BY THE TIME THE SNOW TAPERS OFF ON
SATURDAY...TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS WILL RANGE BETWEEN 8 AND 20
INCHES FOR MOST OF THIS AREA...BUT 12 TO 24 INCHES IS EXPECTED
ACROSS MUCH OF THE EASTERN CATSKILLS...NORTHERN
BERKSHIRES...BENNINGTON AND EASTERN WINDHAM COUNTIES...WITH 15 TO
30 INCHES EXPECTED ACROSS WESTERN WINDHAM COUNTY.

[rationalization mode]Boy am *I* sure glad we don't have to risk life and limb tonight. Wooo! Yeah. Good luck, Deertick fans! I can save on gas, hotel, and food $$! Go have a nice, local St. Patrick's Day! [/rationalization]

*sigh*

Anyone else remember that year of the ice-storm going up to Lake Placid? I'm pretty sure it was 1997. I was in grad school in Rochester, and could afford to take off the night before as soon as it became clear that that system was bearing down. A friend of mine in Ithaca drove us up that night and we got into Saranac Lake at around 3 am after being pulled over in every town from Watertown north because he had a tail-light out and they had nothing to do. We were accused of stealing by the Saranac Lake police because we had a large Cornell flag in the back seat. While my friend got a sobriety test because he was sarcastic and tired of being pulled over, I chatted with the partner of the cop...turns out he hunted with my hosts in Saranac.

Another friend of mine wound up flipping his car on the way up the next day trying to fight through the ice and snow.

Safe travels to our friends and enemies who are making the trip to the TUC today.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2007 12:11PM by RichH.

Re: Rationalization for a wounded fanbase
Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 16, 2007 12:12PM

Yep, 1997 had pretty bad weather for the Placid trip. I remember heading up the interstate north of Albany when a car a few hundred yards ahead of us did a 360 and then skidded off the road. Moments later we pulled off the highway and Julei asked Age to drive...

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 16, 2007 12:13PM

I found myself thinking that same rationalization 10 minutes ago too.smashfreak

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 16, 2007 12:16PM

I had bronichitis that year. I'm still glad I went -- this rationalization isn't working for me. worry

Date: March 16, 2007 12:19PM

Trotsky
I had bronichitis that year. I'm still glad I went -- this rationalization isn't working for me. worry
As someone who dearly misses 10 inch snow storms I wish I had a reason to be in Albany this weekend. (Not that I had tickets mind you, but still...)

Posted by: RichH (216.195.201.---)
Date: March 16, 2007 12:25PM

Trotsky

Yeah, me neither. I thought I'd at least try.

:-/

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: March 16, 2007 12:28PM

RichH
Trotsky

Yeah, me neither. I thought I'd at least try.

I've decided that it works for me. Thanks, Rich!

Posted by: ebilmes (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 16, 2007 01:12PM

There are enough student Faithful that still have to make trips in the area today in the snowstorm.

I'd rather be going through 10" of snow on the way to Albany than through 10" on the way home...

Posted by: Dpperk29 (128.153.201.---)
Date: March 16, 2007 01:29PM

ebilmes
There are enough student Faithful that still have to make trips in the area today in the snowstorm.

I'd rather be going through 10" of snow on the way to Albany than through 10" on the way home...

and that is why I am going to albany...

Posted by: redice (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 16, 2007 01:29PM

From Albany: As I always say, if a winter storm is predicted before a hockey game, that just means that I have to leave a little earlier. And that's exactly what I did today. I outraced the storm all the way from the southern tier of NY to Albany. The storm was so close to "catching" me that, every time I made a pit stop, the roads worsened. Have a great weekend gang. I'm still going to enjoy the red-less ECACHL tournament! Next year, we're going to win it!!!

Posted by: Killer (---.fidelity.com)
Date: March 16, 2007 01:42PM

Me neither. We could have gone yesterday and spent the day in that vacation capital of upstate NY. Oh hell, if the team was gonna be there, so were we. And we don't even have a lax game to follow this weekend. Kinda sucks, eh?

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 16, 2007 01:56PM

Dpperk29
ebilmes

Isn't this a bit much? We know your team is there and we're not, but are you going because of the snowstorm?screwy

Date: March 16, 2007 02:30PM

redice
I outraced the storm all the way from the southern tier of NY to Albany. The storm was so close to "catching" me that, every time I made a pit stop, the roads worsened.
You're racing a storm on a several hour road trip and you made multiple pit stops?

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: March 16, 2007 02:39PM

KeithK
redice
I outraced the storm all the way from the southern tier of NY to Albany. The storm was so close to "catching" me that, every time I made a pit stop, the roads worsened.
You're racing a storm on a several hour road trip and you made multiple pit stops?
Amateur. rolleyes :-}

Date: March 16, 2007 02:46PM

RichH
Anyone else remember that year of the ice-storm going up to Lake Placid? I'm pretty sure it was 1997.
Definitely 1997. The driver I caught a ride from took the "safer" southern route (via Albany instead of via Watertown) and still spun out into a median somewhere around Albany. I know of at least two other people who also got into accidents on the way up to Placid via the northern route.

Of course, beating Hobey Cherrypicker made it all better.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 16, 2007 02:52PM

Josh '99
KeithK
redice

Too much coffee?!?

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: March 16, 2007 03:59PM

KeithK
Trotsky
As someone who dearly misses 10 inch snow storms I wish I had a reason to be in Albany this weekend. (Not that I had tickets mind you, but still...)

You forget that you could walk up and get tickets, then go anywhere in the rink with very little "Excuse me, but I was hoping to stand with my friends. Would you mind trading these seats for this block of tickets several rows lower?"

I miss 10 inch snowstorms too, but I must admit I'm enjoying the beach weather in Florida this week and am not at all envious of my brother, who's trying to fly out of NYC today.

Date: March 16, 2007 04:07PM

Liz '05
KeithK
Trotsky

You forget that you could walk up and get tickets, then go anywhere in the rink with very little "Excuse me, but I was hoping to stand with my friends. Would you mind trading these seats for this block of tickets several rows lower?"

I miss 10 inch snowstorms too, but I must admit I'm enjoying the beach weather in Florida this week and am not at all envious of my brother, who's trying to fly out of NYC today.
The lack of airline tickets from California would be much more of a hinderance than the game tickets, no doubt.

Posted by: min (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: March 16, 2007 05:27PM

marty
Josh '99
KeithK
redice

Too much coffee?!?

Hey, not everyone can get those NASA diapers! nut :-)

Posted by: Roy 82 (---.SRI.COM)
Date: March 16, 2007 09:26PM

I am going to the theater and then to dinner. I couldn't had done this if I had to watch hockey. Good food. Good people. I am looking forward to a wonderful evening. How lucky. drunk

.....who am I kidding.....I would give it all up in a second to be watching Cornell in the final or semis. It's not fair. I am not ready to let go yet. Isn't there some way we can still make the NCAAs? What iF all of the other teams get sick? That was a bad call. What if we had won in OT the first night?......bang

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 16, 2007 09:28PM

I won't listen to the National Weather Service until it learns to use capital letters correctly.

Posted by: mttgrmm (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 16, 2007 09:35PM

THERE IS A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR UPSTATE NEW YORK!!!

Posted by: ebilmes (---.37.9.135.adsl.snet.net)
Date: March 17, 2007 12:18AM

The normal 4.5 hour drive home turned into 8 hours with the weather tonight.

I guess I should be rooting for Q now that I'm back in Connecticut. They're actually getting some press in the local papers, with the stories focusing on how Q, SHU, and UConn were all participating in conference tournaments this weekend.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.alb.choiceone.net)
Date: March 17, 2007 12:38AM

Jim Hyla
Dpperk29
ebilmes

Isn't this a bit much? We know your team is there and we're not, but are you going because of the snowstorm?screwy

even albany in a snowstorm without my team would be better than home... have you ever been to dryden? (I know you probably have, I am not insulting you)

Posted by: cth95 (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: March 17, 2007 12:58AM

I'm teaching skiing at Sugarbush tomorrow and then skiing all day Sunday with a friend of mind. At least now I will be able to enjoy all of this snow without feeling guilty, although I probably would have skied somewhere Saturday before going to the game Saturday night like I did in '02 in Lake Placid.

As for the ice storm, '97 may have had bad weather, but the historic ice storm was in '98 (I think February). I had just returned from an exchange program in Switzerland and was doing presentations around CT.

I actually was visiting a friend in Binghamton during the ice storm. We bought a bunch of groceries and drove up through Watertown to my mother's in Potsdam. We kept driving across downed wires while switching streets in Watertown whenever we saw police and other emergency vehicles. We figured they would turn us around if they saw us. Fortunately, we were early enough that they hadn't really organized yet.

All of the trees in the patches of "forest" along Rte 11 looked like someone had hacked off their tops with a giant lawn mower. We also drove along one stretch near Canton where there wasn't a telephone pole standing for over a mile. The ice in Potsdam was so thick we ice-skated on the high school football field on top of about 6" of snow and never broke through.

If you drive through the Adirondacks you can still see the damage where the birch trees all lost their tops. A perfect place to see this is on Rte 73 along Cascade Lake just east of the Ski Jumps in Lake Placid. This elevation of about 2000' really seemed to get hammered.

Posted by: redice (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 17, 2007 12:59AM

marty
Josh '99
KeithK
redice

Too much coffee?!?

Yep, that's the problem.:-)

Posted by: amerks127 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: March 17, 2007 02:17AM

sorry to hear that.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2007 12:55PM by amerks127.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 17, 2007 02:19AM

cth95
As for the ice storm, '97 may have had bad weather, but the historic ice storm was in '98 (I think February).

If you drive through the Adirondacks you can still see the damage where the birch trees all lost their tops. A perfect place to see this is on Rte 73 along Cascade Lake just east of the Ski Jumps in Lake Placid. This elevation of about 2000' really seemed to get hammered.

Yep. And I believe the both the Clarkson and St. Lawrence teams did some outstanding community service in volunteering for those who were really put out in that '98 ice storm in the North Country. The affected area was from the North Country all the way up to Montreal.

There was a very severe ice storm in my hometown that affected a narrow swath of western NY from Rochester to the PA border in 1991. Even today, there's still a lot of tree damage visible along I-390. My memories included going out to the flood-control areas to listen to the trees snapping all around us. I had neighbors who lost power for over 2 weeks, and we were warned not to even step outside in the middle of town due to power lines coming down. It was eerily beautiful, however.

[www.geocities.com]

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 17, 2007 09:07AM

redice
marty
Josh '99
KeithK
redice

Too much coffee?!?

Yep, that's the problem.:-)

At least it wasn't too much drunk

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: March 17, 2007 11:05AM

mttgrmm

WHEN WILL SCHAFFER WAKE UP TO THE SITUATION??!!!?

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (129.2.170.---)
Date: March 17, 2007 12:00PM

Dpperk29
Jim Hyla
Dpperk29
ebilmes

even albany in a snowstorm without my team would be better than home... have you ever been to dryden? (I know you probably have, I am not insulting you)

At least you aren't from Varna! Ha. Oh shit, I just zing-ed myself.

Posted by: Rita (---.agry.purdue.edu)
Date: March 17, 2007 12:05PM

Ben Rocky 04
Dpperk29
Jim Hyla
Dpperk29
ebilmes

At least you aren't from Varna! Ha. Oh shit, I just zing-ed myself.

Ah, Varna. I lived in this dive of an apartment for 6 years. However, it was dog-friendly and right across from the Ag fields and Fall Creek. One of the scary things was that the parents of a grad student in our department went to Cornell and lived in the same apartment and not much had changed in the 20+ years since they had lived in it. But hey, the rent was cheap and heat and electricity was included!

Re: Rationalization ... really bad weather
Date: March 17, 2007 01:33PM

Sorry, but I'm still not over what shitty weather we dealt with going to the game @ Colgate on January 24, 2004. Bad weather on the way up, Colgate sold out of tickets and we had to help fake with sharpies the hand markings to get more CU fans into Starr, we played down many CU skaters from injuries, Colgate students threw pizza at us, and Silverthorn was out from fighting at Lynah the previous night. Ben Wallace scored our only goal despite a broken hand (or 2?) and Downs skated the whole game I think, yet we lost 2-1. By the time we drove back, it was slush 3 inches thick covered in snow everywhere. It tooks like 3 hours, and I know some other undergrads ended up wrecked. That was hell.

Okay, I'm done venting now. My PTSD still kicks in every now and again, clearly.

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 17, 2007 01:43PM

Ben Rocky 04
Sorry, but I'm still not over what shitty weather we dealt with going to the game @ Colgate on January 24, 2004.

Ahh, we were lucky enough to reserve tickets ahead of time, however the near 3 hour ride there made us miss nearly all of the first two periods and all of the scoring. So I managed to only experience the pizza, insults and dildo delay of game. Strange enough we had a desire to have pizza for dinner before making the return trip to Ithaca. Only drove off the road once, but in my defense I was following the tire tracks of the car that had blazed that trail before me. drive

Date: March 17, 2007 02:03PM

oceanst41
Ben Rocky 04
Sorry, but I'm still not over what shitty weather we dealt with going to the game @ Colgate on January 24, 2004.

Ahh, we were lucky enough to reserve tickets ahead of time, however the near 3 hour ride there made us miss nearly all of the first two periods and all of the scoring. So I managed to only experience the pizza, insults and dildo delay of game. Strange enough we had a desire to have pizza for dinner before making the return trip to Ithaca. Only drove off the road once, but in my defense I was following the tire tracks of the car that had blazed that trail before me. drive

How could I have fogotten about the dildo?!? innocent

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 17, 2007 02:08PM

Ben Rocky 04

I nominate this sentence to be the official motto of the eLynah Forum community.

Posted by: sah67 (---.clarityconnect.net)
Date: March 17, 2007 02:11PM

Ben Rocky 04

...that's what she said.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 17, 2007 03:10PM

RichH
Ben Rocky 04

I nominate this sentence to be the official motto of the eLynah Forum community.
And leave the "r" out, too.

Date: March 17, 2007 03:45PM

How do I always bring this shit down on my self?

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 17, 2007 04:03PM

jtwcornell91
mttgrmm

I BLAME THE FRESHMEN!

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 17, 2007 07:45PM

Ben Rocky 04
I will also accept fo'gotten.

Posted by: Townie (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 18, 2007 10:25AM

French Rage
jtwcornell91
mttgrmm

I BLAME THE FRESHMEN!

I think it's Romano's selfishness wih the puck....

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 18, 2007 11:38AM

Townie
French Rage
jtwcornell91
mttgrmm

I BLAME THE FRESHMEN!

I think it's Romano's selfishness with the puck....
WHY ARE YOU WHISPERING?!?

Posted by: sah67 (---.sub-75-196-254.myvzw.com)
Date: March 18, 2007 12:03PM

Trotsky
Townie
French Rage
jtwcornell91
mttgrmm

I BLAME THE FRESHMEN!

KNOW NO LIMITS LITTLE SNOWFLAKES! CRUSH THE LITTLE RED!

But really, on a serious note, if Schafer never manages to get it through that thick head of his that he has to change his mindset to accomodate the new offensive talent of the team...,

it will never stop snowing in Ithaca and summer will be a thing of the past!

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 18, 2007 12:50PM

Section A Banshee
Ben Rocky 04
I will also accept fo'gotten.
I also would have accepted "myself."

Date: March 19, 2007 11:16AM

French Rage
jtwcornell91
mttgrmm

I BLAME THE FRESHMEN!
We need to score MOOOOOOOORE GOOOOOOOALS!!!!

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.cmbrmaks.akamai.com)
Date: March 19, 2007 11:23AM

Josh '99
French Rage
jtwcornell91
mttgrmm

I BLAME THE FRESHMEN!
SHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!

Date: March 19, 2007 11:24AM

Ben Rocky 04
oceanst41
Ben Rocky 04

I guess when a person has had as much experience with dildos (dildoes?) as you have, they all start to blend together in the memory.

:-D
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2007 11:25AM by Josh '99.

Date: March 19, 2007 11:26AM

krose
Josh '99
French Rage
jtwcornell91
mttgrmm

I BLAME THE FRESHMEN!
HEY HEY, DROP THE PUCK! HEY HEY, DROP THE PUCK!

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 19, 2007 11:58AM

Josh '99
krose
Josh '99
French Rage
jtwcornell91
mttgrmm

I BLAME THE FRESHMEN!

Typical rolleyes

Date: March 19, 2007 12:24PM

Josh '99
Ben Rocky 04
I guess when a person has had as much experience with dildos (dildoes?) as you have, they all start to blend together in the memory.:-D

They do all kind of just blend together into one giant dildo.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: March 19, 2007 12:29PM

IIRC, on the way up that year you also witnessed, from behind, my near-death when the yutz in front of me decided to avail himself of the passing lane after I'd already started to pass him.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: March 19, 2007 12:40PM

Trotsky
Townie
French Rage
jtwcornell91
mttgrmm

I BLAME THE FRESHMEN!

We showed up for today's document review gig at 9:45, ready to work - and after a half hour of training on Ringtail, some pretty slow and primitive privilege log software, we were told to wait until we had our usernames and passwords sent to the supervisors. That was more than two hours ago; they still haven't arrived. So now, I'm sitting here giggling madly while people look at me funny.

Not that this is such an unusual thing; I just usually don't get paid so handsomely for it.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: March 19, 2007 04:15PM

Josh '99
krose
Josh '99
French Rage
jtwcornell91
mttgrmm

I BLAME THE FRESHMEN!

RED LINE ... IDIOT! RED LINE ... IDIOT!

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: March 19, 2007 04:36PM

DeltaOne81
Josh '99
krose
Josh '99
French Rage
jtwcornell91
mttgrmm

I BLAME THE FRESHMEN!

Typical rolleyes
[insert jerk/typical loop here]

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: March 19, 2007 05:48PM

Trotsky
DeltaOne81
Josh '99
krose
Josh '99
French Rage
jtwcornell91
mttgrmm

I BLAME THE FRESHMEN!

Typical rolleyes
I think everyone needs to calm down.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 19, 2007 06:19PM

ugarte
Trotsky
DeltaOne81
Josh '99
krose
Josh '99
French Rage
jtwcornell91
mttgrmm

I BLAME THE FRESHMEN!

Typical rolleyes

Jerk.

Date: March 19, 2007 07:29PM

DeltaOne81
ugarte
Trotsky
DeltaOne81
Josh '99
krose
Josh '99
French Rage
jtwcornell91
mttgrmm

I BLAME THE FRESHMEN!

Typical rolleyes

Jerk.

To quote Baron von Wortzenberger: Hey fun boys, get a room.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2007 07:30PM by Ben Rocky 04.

Date: March 20, 2007 04:44PM

Ben Rocky 04
DeltaOne81
ugarte
Trotsky
DeltaOne81
Josh '99
krose
Josh '99
French Rage
jtwcornell91
mttgrmm

I BLAME THE FRESHMEN!

Typical rolleyes

Jerk.

To quote Baron von Wortzenberger: Hey fun boys, get a room.
We did. You're in it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login