Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

OT: Watching TdF in Ithaca area

Posted by CU at Stanford 
OT: Watching TdF in Ithaca area
Posted by: CU at Stanford (---.dsl.sntc01.pacbell.net)
Date: July 15, 2005 01:34AM

Hello friends,

I will be in the Ithaca area next week but staying at a cottage without cable TV. I want to watch the daily coverage of le Tour de France on OLN. Does anyone know where I can catch the show in Ithaca or Lansing???

Please ping me at ttseng@stanford.edu

Merci et au revoir, Tom

Re: OT: Watching TdF in Ithaca area
Posted by: thc55 (---.z208037254.nyc-ny.dsl.cnc.net)
Date: July 15, 2005 10:17AM

go to benchwarmers on the commons...lots of tvs....all sports

Posted by: mjh89 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: July 15, 2005 11:39AM

TdF might be the only event less exciting than Nascar, but to each, his own.

Posted by: cth95 (---.a-315.westelcom.com)
Date: July 15, 2005 12:23PM

IMHO, the Tour is far more exciting than NASCAR. First of all, the scenery is spectacular whether you are interested in the sport or not. On the surface, it is admittedly boring, but if you watch a few stages and listen to the commentary, the combination of strategy, strength, and endurance is pretty fascinating. This is particularly true of the mountains. It is amazing, for example, to watch Armstrong's Discovery team (and US Postal in previous years) drive the pace of the main body of riders so fast that none of the other teams can make a move on him. As the climbs steepen, individuals from his team will crank on the pedals with Armstrong safely and efficiently drafting behind as more and more rivals fall by the wayside because they can't keep up. After one of Lance's teammates does this for a while, he will peel off and ride easy for the rest of the stage while another teammate takes over. OTOH, if no one that Lance is worried about has broken away from the main pack, he will let his team just hold a steady pace to conserve energy for another day.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: July 15, 2005 01:58PM

All impressive and interesting to hear, but that doesn't necessarily make interesting to watch for hours on end... to each, his own is probably still fair ;)

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: July 15, 2005 09:25PM

Speaking of which, England and Australia take to the cricket pitch next week to begin the battle for the Ashes. :-P

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: July 16, 2005 11:11AM

[Q]mjh89 Wrote:

TdF might be the only event less exciting than Nascar, but to each, his own.[/q]

It's going to get a lot less exciting for me next year...

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: July 16, 2005 12:55PM

[Q]atb9 Wrote:

mjh89 Wrote:

TdF might be the only event less exciting than Nascar, but to each, his own.[/Q]
It's going to get a lot less exciting for me next year...[/q]

I think some would argue that it will be a lot more exciting next year. I think things are more exciting when there is actually competition for who will win.

Date: July 17, 2005 11:01AM

[Q]Jacob '06 Wrote:

I think some would argue that it will be a lot more exciting next year. I think things are more exciting when there is actually competition for who will win.[/q]

And I would call those 'some' un-American communists and I hope they enjoy their 'football'! Don't Mess with Texas! ;-) :-P :-D

Posted by: min (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: July 17, 2005 11:12AM

no worries... plenty of good american cyclists (hincapie, landis, hamilton, etc) left to cheer for next year's tour.

will hincapie win today?

yes! good day for team discovery.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2005 11:25AM by min.

Date: July 17, 2005 02:29PM

[Q]min Wrote:

no worries... plenty of good american cyclists (hincapie, landis, hamilton, etc) left to cheer for next year's tour.

will hincapie win today?

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 07/17/05 11:25AM by min.[/q]

Americans have done well before Lance. The difference is that Lance is a "Michael Jordan" and he beat cancer. You can't top that.

I'm not a cycling purist and I haven't been a lifelong, diehard cycling fan. I ride a mountain bike for fun. And, I think, like most Americans now following the Tour, I started watching the Tour religiously, instead of following it on Sportscenter or sports websites, because of Lance. That's going to change next year. Sorry. :-) Definitely an amazing sport but one that I have difficulty relating to unless I have a personal story to latch on to.

Posted by: nyc94 (66.147.178.---)
Date: July 17, 2005 02:32PM

[Q]min Wrote:
[/q]

Anyone else constantly think of the Simpsons episode where Martin and Nelson are Team Discovery Channel?

Posted by: Robb (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: July 17, 2005 04:51PM

I'm definitely hooked on the Tour - have been for ~5 years now, so I do have to tip my hat to Lance getting me into it. However, I absolutely cannot wait for next year - we've had the same storyline for the last 4 years, with all the teams trying to attack Postal/Discovery and them just fending off the challenges - a cycling world with a single superpower. The field is going to be wide open next year, with Basso, Ullrich, and many others finally feeling that they have their shot. It will be interesting if Discovery can hold the team together, or if some of their better riders switch to teams they feel will be stronger.

Screw Texas. :)

Posted by: kaelistus (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: July 18, 2005 09:59AM

Ditto here. I'm getting withdrawal symptoms for the rest day today!

As for the non-believers... Your loss. The amount of strategy and tactics involved in this race makes oh so very exciting.

Posted by: CUlater 89 (64.244.223.---)
Date: July 18, 2005 10:04AM

I got hooked on it just as Greg Lemond rose to prominence, when, despite being the better rider at the time, he helped Hinault win his then-record-tying fifth Tour. It was great to see when Hinault returned the favor and rode to support Lemond. Then the hunting accident and the remarkable recovery, followed by two more Tour wins in a row, with a legendary finish in the final time trial when he made up about 90 seconds on the great Laurent Fignon, on the Champs-Elysees.

When Lemond called it quits, there were other Americans, most prominently Andy Hampsten, who were thought to have the ability to win Tours. But they either didn't have strong enough teams or weren't the team leaders, so many American viewers lost interest. But there were still great stories and great riders, before Lance ascended. I'm sure there will be this time.

For example, Jan Ullrich, chided by some for being an underachiever -- if Lance had not done what he has done, might Ullrich have won most of the past six Tours and be considered one of the all-time greats?

Also, Team CSC and Team T-Mobile are so deep and strong -- can they keep their teams together one more year and push their leaders to the top of the podium?

And of course there are some strong Americans including Landis, Leipheimer and Julich (if he can find a team to let him be the leader), in addition to Hincapie (it's not clear whether he will be the leader of Discovery next year) and some of the youngsters. I fear they will all suffer in comparison to Lance, but there should still be some compelling stories and stages for any fan of competition.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: July 18, 2005 10:31AM

[Q]kaelistus Wrote:As for the non-believers... Your loss. The amount of strategy and tactics involved in this race makes oh so very exciting.
[/q]

To each their own; as I've said, I'm looking forward to the first England-Australia cricket match starting Thursday.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: nshapiro (---.amer.csc.com)
Date: July 18, 2005 11:31AM

Will this epic battle be a full 5 day test match that will probably end in a draw?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login