Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Men's Hockey Fundraising Shortfall

Posted by Beeeej 
Men's Hockey Fundraising Shortfall
Posted by: Beeeej (---.ny5030.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 20, 2005 03:19PM

I was surprised to open this month's "Spirit!" newsletter for supporters of Cornell athletics and read that Men's Ice Hockey is among the several sports at Cornell that have yet to reach this fiscal year's (7/04-6/05) fundraising goal, and will fall short of balancing its budget if it doesn't meet that goal. I dropped a note to an old friend and learned that it would only take another $8,823 by June 30.

I hope you'll pardon what probably seems like a sales pitch, but I have to believe this group in particular would be interested in, and is capable of, helping close that gap significantly. I don't think less of anybody whose support of the team comes solely in the form of cheering, roadtrips, and/or constructive criticism. But it's an undeniable reality that maintaining and improving the team's quality takes money, and it doesn't all come from ticket revenue.

Many of you helped send the pep band to Minnesota this March, which was a wonderful gesture, and helped create the sort of Lynah-esque atmosphere that almost helped our team get back to the Frozen Four. I'd love to see the same kind of rallying around the team itself.

[www.alumni.cornell.edu] is where you can go to make a gift. Choose "Other" in the drop-down menu for your gift designation, and put "Men's Ice Hockey" in the blank next to it (along with "Fund 067204" if you want to be thorough).

And yes, I've done my part, despite the student loans. :-{)}

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2005 03:23PM by Beeeej.

Re: Men's Hockey Fundraising Shortfall
Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: June 20, 2005 03:29PM

Is there any reason why a gift geared towards athletics wouldn't be eligible for corporate gift matching programs? Can't find anything about it in company literature, but if people think otherwise, let me know.

Date: June 20, 2005 03:33PM

Some companies have their own guidelines about what's eligible, and I know some companies restrict matching gifts when you give to your alma mater to purely academic or student aid purposes. Cornell is, of course, happy to accept matching gifts from your company for athletics purposes when your company's policy does allow them. :-D

Ask your HR person, basically.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: judy (---.accessww.com)
Date: June 20, 2005 03:39PM

Doing my part...
for my tax purposes, is this tax deductible?

Date: June 20, 2005 03:42PM

As with any other charitable gift, it's deductible if you itemize your taxes (rather than taking the standard deduction).

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Robb (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: June 20, 2005 03:45PM

When I worked at Goodrich, they only matched unrestricted gifts (i.e. to the general university fund). Fortunately, I now work at Lockheed, who matches all gifts. Their check is in the mail...

Posted by: judy (---.accessww.com)
Date: June 20, 2005 03:53PM

K. Thanks. Wasn't sure if this was recognized as a charitable donation

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: June 20, 2005 04:22PM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:

Is there any reason why a gift geared towards athletics wouldn't be eligible for corporate gift matching programs? Can't find anything about it in company literature, but if people think otherwise, let me know.[/q]
My former employer, which matches retirees' gifts, will match a gift to the general athletics fund but not to a specific sport. Concerned about helping people get to whatever bar is needed to be eligible for 50-yard-line seats, or something like that, I suppose. I think the development office handled this year's gift in a way that it was matched, but can't say for sure.

Posted by: Hillel Hoffmann (---.chesnh01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: June 20, 2005 11:11PM

[Q]Beeeej Wrote: I was surprised to open this month's "Spirit!" newsletter for supporters of Cornell athletics and read that Men's Ice Hockey is among the several sports at Cornell that have yet to reach this fiscal year's (7/04-6/05) fundraising goal... [/q] What were the other sports that needed help to meet their goals, Jeff?

Posted by: Beeeej (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 22, 2005 11:53AM

I'm told that Men's Ice Hockey has now met its goal - in part, thanks to some of y'all. Thanks for answering the call!

(Hillel, I think I already threw away my copy of "Spirit!" (Bar review makes for some serious clutter) but you can probably find out which sports are still short of their goals by e-mailing John Webster at jlw9@cornell.edu.)

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Date: June 22, 2005 12:09PM

[Q]Beeeej Wrote:

I'm told that Men's Ice Hockey has now met its goal - in part, thanks to some of y'all. Thanks for answering the call!

(Hillel, I think I already threw away my copy of "Spirit!" (Bar review makes for some serious clutter) but you can probably find out which sports are still short of their goals by e-mailing John Webster at jlw9@cornell.edu.)

Beeeej[/q]
There were a bunch, including football and men's basketball. Can't remember if wrestling or lacrosse were on the list.

Date: June 25, 2005 05:18PM

According to the Spring 2005 Cornell Hockey Newsletter, Mike's fundraising objective for the year was $78,000.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login