Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

'05-'06 Hockey Schedule

Posted by jkahn 
'05-'06 Hockey Schedule
Posted by: jkahn (216.146.73.---)
Date: May 23, 2005 05:25PM

Since the last schedule thread had 150 posts, I thought it was time to start a new one. Changes from the last schedule include the dates of the Florida Tournament, original Fri.-Sat. on the Cornell tentative schedule and Thurs.-Fri. on other teams' schedules - now Tues.-Wed. (I verified this on the arena website). Also the first round opponent, Northeastern, is based on the UMD and Maine sites both showing a UMD-Maine matchup. This makes sense too, as Maine wouldn't play NE in the first round, and since we played Maine last year, this maximizes the chance for meeting "new" opponents. I'm sure Maine didn't want to possibly play just Cornell and Northeastern, and it gives us a chance to meet both infrequently played Northeastern and UMD.

'05-'06 Cornell Men's Hockey Schedule (Updated but still Tentative)

Sat	10/15/05	Exhibition	Red and White
Fri	10/21/05	Exhibition	U.S. National Team
Fri	10/28/05		Michigan State (nc)
Sat	10/29/05		Michigan State (nc)
Fri	11/04/05		@ Yale
Sat	11/05/05		@ Brown
Fri	11/11/05		@ Harvard
Sat	11/12/05		@ Dartmouth
Fri	11/18/05		Union
Sat	11/19/05		Rensselaer
Fri	11/26/05		Niagara (nc)
Sat	11/27/05		@ Niagara (nc)  at Roch.
Fri	12/02/05		Princeton
Sat	12/03/05		Quinnipiac
Tu	12/27/05	Florida Tournament (Northeastern)
W	12/28/05	Florida Tournament (UMD or Maine)
Sat	01/07/06		RIT (nc)
Fri	01/13/06		@ Quinnipiac
Sat	01/14/06		@ Princeton
Fri	01/20/06		St. Lawrence
Sat	01/21/06		Clarkson
Fri	01/27/06		Brown
Sat	01/28/06		Yale
Fri	02/03/06		Colgate
Sat	02/04/06		@ Colgate
Fri	02/10/06		@ Clarkson
Sat	02/11/06		@ St. Lawrence
Fri	02/17/06		Dartmouth
Sat	02/18/06		Harvard
Fri	02/24/06		@ Rensselaer
Sat	02/25/06		@ Union

March
Fri.-Sun.	3-5	ECAC First Round Playoffs (best 2 of 3)
Fri.-Sun.	10-12	ECAC Quarter Final (best 2 of 3)
Fri	17	ECAC Semi-Final   Albany, NY
Sat	18	ECAC Consol./Championship
Fri./Sat.	24-25	NCAA 1st & 2nd round @ Worcester, Grand Forks
or Sat./Sun.  25-26                   @ Albany, Green Bay
	April
Th., Sat.	6, 8	Frozen Four at Milwaukee

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2005 05:16PM by jkahn.

Re: '05-'06 Hockey Schedule
Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: May 23, 2005 06:54PM

Is it me or do we have fewer OOC games each year?

Posted by: ben03 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: May 23, 2005 07:14PM

IIRC, we always have 7 nc games, 22 ECAC(HL) and the playoffs

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: May 23, 2005 07:57PM

It's just you. It's been 22 league and 7 OOC for a total of 29 every year since the 1995-96 season. It was between 3 and 5 games in the 15 years before that.

The number of games really isn't a problem. That number is right in line with WCHA and CCHA teams and will be pretty close to HEA now that they're up to 10 teams. The late start date probably has a lot more impact on scheduling tough OOC matchups.

Posted by: Rita (---.resnet.purdue.edu)
Date: May 23, 2005 08:44PM

it may seem like fewer since we play michigan state twice and niagara twice... that's four games right there. then there are the 2 florida games (can't wait!!!) and RIT. Not much diversity... but as keith mentioned, our late start doesn't help scheduling since most other leagues are into conference play by the first week of november.

rita

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: May 23, 2005 09:20PM

Games 5-15 of the ECAC schedule: 9 home and 2 away, with the road trip being Princeton/Quinnipiac. "Time to harvest yo' nuts, man."

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 23, 2005 10:12PM

[Q]KeithK Wrote: It's just you. It's been 22 league and 7 OOC for a total of 29 every year since the 1995-96 season. It was between 3 and 5 games in the 15 years before that.

The number of games really isn't a problem. That number is right in line with WCHA and CCHA teams and will be pretty close to HEA now that they're up to 10 teams. The late start date probably has a lot more impact on scheduling tough OOC matchups.[/q]Another problem is the quality of the OOC opponents. Victories against the likes of RIT and Niagara do not help a lot. Northeastern (game one of the Florida tourney) may not be a quality opponent, certainly not like BC was in Game One this past December. So an early season slip against Michigan State (anything other than two wins) -- no matter how well we fare in the ECAC season and postseason -- could flip us around in bracketing and we wind up as a No. 2 NCAA regional seed somewhere a long way away on a rink wider than it is long.

Could we have as few as three quality OOC games: MSU, MSU, and Florida Game Two?

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 23, 2005 10:29PM

I'm glad the return game with Niagara is in Rochester instead of Buffalo. That should be a fun trip and there's a chance BCA sells out -- not quite as big a deal as playing RIT would be (for the locals), but it'll be interesting to see if Rochester hockey fans turn out.

Hint: Get there early and have lunch/dinner at the Dinosaur BBQ. It's in a renovated train station overlooking the Genesee River, just a couple of blocks from the Arena.

Posted by: KP '06 (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: May 23, 2005 11:23PM

[Q]ithacat Wrote:
Hint: Get there early and have lunch/dinner at the Dinosaur BBQ. It's in a renovated train station overlooking the Genesee River, just a couple of blocks from the Arena.[/q]

Well, Dinosaur is more of a Syracuse thing. If you're hardcore, you'll make your way to Nick Tahoe's on West Main for a garbage plate.

Mmmmmmmm, heart burn ...

Posted by: Robb (---.dhcp.ftwo.tx.charter.com)
Date: May 24, 2005 12:07AM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:
So an early season slip against Michigan State (anything other than two wins) -- no matter how well we fare in the ECAC season and postseason -- could flip us around in bracketing and we wind up as a No. 2 NCAA regional seed somewhere a long way away on a rink wider than it is long.

Could we have as few as three quality OOC games: MSU, MSU, and Florida Game Two?
[/q]

We definitely have to be almost perfect next year to earn a #1 seed. Our non-conference schedule is just not very good - worse than this year with 2 Niagara + RIT. Our in-conference schedule will also be worse - Harvard looks to have a down year (bad for HE comparisons - they'll probably have at least 4 losses to HE teams) and we've replaced two games agaist recently decent UVM with Quinnipiac.

The good news, IIRC, is that all the regional sites next year are NHL size (Albany - check, Engelstad - check, Verizon - couldn't confirm, Resch Center - check). I'm predicting a 2 seed again next year - I just hope that the stars will align so that we'll need to stay East for the brackets to work out. The stars have to help us someday, right?

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: May 24, 2005 12:22AM

[q]Another problem is the quality of the OOC opponents.[/q]Yes, the OOC schedule strength could be better. My point was that the quality isn't really being driven by the number of games. If the Ivies upped their limit to 32 games, allowing 10 OOC, we'd be in the same boat (and maybe worse if we filled in with AH or CHA games). Being able to play games in October when other teams are playing non-conf games would make it much easier to get a good slate of games, even if we stayed at 29 total.

There's also the reciprocity thing, but we've beaten that to death too recently.

Date: May 24, 2005 01:17AM

[Q]KP '06 Wrote:
If you're hardcore, you'll make your way to Nick Tahoe's on West Main for a garbage plate.
Mmmmmmmm, heart burn ...[/q]

if you do this you should know you'll be putting your life in danger ... and i'm not just talking about eating the food worry

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 24, 2005 07:55AM

[Q]KP '06 Wrote:

ithacat Wrote:
Hint: Get there early and have lunch/dinner at the Dinosaur BBQ. It's in a renovated train station overlooking the Genesee River, just a couple of blocks from the Arena.[/Q]
Well, Dinosaur is more of a Syracuse thing. If you're hardcore, you'll make your way to Nick Tahoe's on West Main for a garbage plate.

Shaylor's is better and Fairport sucks :-P

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 24, 2005 08:00AM

[Q]Robb Wrote:
The good news, IIRC, is that all the regional sites next year are NHL size (Albany - check, Engelstad - check, Verizon - couldn't confirm, Resch Center - check).
[/q]
The Verizon (Wireless) Center is the home of the Manchester Monarchs of the AHL, and due to the timing, I'm pretty sure it was pretty much built *for* them. Hence, it's NHL sized.

However, that doesn't matter, because the eastern regionals are in Albany and Worcester next year. It's Manchester & Rochester the year after that.

There are no more regionals scheduled in 2006 or 2007 on Olympic or any significantly non-NHL ice. 2008+ regionals are not yet awarded.

Posted by: Robb (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: May 24, 2005 09:47AM

Doh - that's what I get for posting at midnight. Guess my eyes jumped to the wrong set of future sites somewhere in there... snore

Posted by: Trotsky (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: May 24, 2005 09:57AM

Hopefully, the ECAC will continue to improve and that will offset the decrease in NC quality.

Those two Michigan State games may be the key to the entire season, PWRwise, and that's a scary thought. I can't find their 05-06 schedule, but prior to the final weekend of October last season, Sparty had already played 2 exhibitions and four games. 8/23 (35%) of the Cornell roster will be Freshmen. help

Posted by: KP '06 (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: May 24, 2005 10:56AM

[Q]ben03 Wrote:

KP '06 Wrote:
If you're hardcore, you'll make your way to Nick Tahoe's on West Main for a garbage plate.
Mmmmmmmm, heart burn ...[/Q]
if you do this you should know you'll be putting your life in danger ... and i'm not just talking about eating the food[/q]

Did I say heart burn? I meant aggravated assault. My bad.

Posted by: dadeo (---.shore.co.monmouth.nj.us)
Date: May 24, 2005 11:22AM

That is of course if MSU is still a TUC. Their RPI was only .5366 and a large reason they were 18th in PWR is because they played us twice.
I'll get packing for Green Bay now, eh?

Posted by: ithacat (128.253.193.---)
Date: May 24, 2005 01:25PM

[Q]KP '06 Wrote:

ithacat Wrote:
Hint: Get there early and have lunch/dinner at the Dinosaur BBQ. It's in a renovated train station overlooking the Genesee River, just a couple of blocks from the Arena.[/Q]

Doesn't matter where Dinosaur was born...it's still great bbq in a funky location, that's also across the street from a parking garage & 2 blocks from the Arena. Of course, if you're looking for a near-death experience NT's isn't a bad choice.

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 26, 2005 11:10PM

[Q]ithacat Wrote: I'm glad the return game with Niagara is in Rochester instead of Buffalo. That should be a fun trip and there's a chance BCA sells out -- not quite as big a deal as playing RIT would be (for the locals), but it'll be interesting to see if Rochester hockey fans turn out. Hint: Get there early and have lunch/dinner at the Dinosaur BBQ. It's in a renovated train station overlooking the Genesee River, just a couple of blocks from the Arena.[/q]And say a silent farewell to Don & Bob's, the incredible hamburger stand (more like a hamburger megaplex) in Brighton that is now, I'm told, a bank. I left town before the place went downhill and I'm sure some of the food quality is colored by fond memories from high school.

OK, sorry to annoy anyone under 30 with auld lang syne.

OT: Don and Bob's v. Don's Original
Date: May 27, 2005 11:31AM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:
And say a silent farewell to Don & Bob's, the incredible hamburger stand (more like a hamburger megaplex) in Brighton that is now, I'm told, a bank. I left town before the place went downhill and I'm sure some of the food quality is colored by fond memories from high school.
OK, sorry to annoy anyone under 30 with auld lang syne.
[/q]
Alas Bill ... Another great Rochester institution opened up shop just down Monroe Ave to fill the void, Don's Original (my favorite anyway). Having been competitors since just about the beginning they finally became neighbors on Monroe. With both open nearly side by side, I would not be surprised if Don's presence assisted the demise of Don and Bob's. Anyway … it is a bank, Canandaigua National IIRC in case you were wondering :-)

Posted by: ithacat (128.253.193.---)
Date: May 27, 2005 12:36PM

[Q]KP '06 Wrote:

In case anyone's wondering what a garbageplate is...

[www.geocities.com]

KP's suggestion should be digested carefully.

Posted by: Chris 02 (---.aere.iastate.edu)
Date: May 27, 2005 02:44PM

USCHO has something similar for the schedule.

[www.uscho.com]

I looked at RIT's schedule. They play the US under-18's 4 times! Also they play a couple of games against D-III schools. Do the D-III games count in things like the pairwise? I'm pretty sure the US under-18's don't since they're considered exhibition games.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: May 27, 2005 02:48PM

Nope, DIII and exhibitions (Under 18) don't count toward a team's RPI or PWR.

They do have the necessary 20+ DI games to be tourney eligible. Can't remember if there's a waiting period when moving up before a team becomes eligible (not that it's likely to matter, but still).

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 27, 2005 05:26PM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:

Nope, DIII and exhibitions (Under 18) don't count toward a team's RPI or PWR.

They do have the necessary 20+ DI games to be tourney eligible. Can't remember if there's a waiting period when moving up before a team becomes eligible (not that it's likely to matter, but still).[/q]

I remember reading that they will not be elligible next year, but the following year they will be. Not sure of the source though.

Posted by: jy3 (---.buff.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 29, 2005 09:54AM

interesting that niagara gave up their home game to play in rochester. makes it farther for me to get there for a game since niagara is 20 minutes away :)
i wonder if it will be at niagara the next year with the second game in rochester

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login