Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Star Wars & the Pep Band

Posted by Chris 02 
Star Wars & the Pep Band
Posted by: Chris 02 (---.icsincorporated.com)
Date: May 24, 2005 12:27PM

See the latest "Found on a cocktail napkin" at the INCH frontpage.

[www.insidecollegehockey.com]

Re: Star Wars & the Pep Band
Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 24, 2005 01:46PM

Well, that's random. This year, it sure seemed like every time they wanted to include something about a pep band, they just dropped "Cornell" in front as a qualifier. I wonder how their fascination with us started?

Hopefully it's true that there's no such thing as bad press. :-D

Regardless, this doesn't mean Imperial March or Star Wars Cantina will find their way back to the cheer repertoire.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 24, 2005 10:04PM

nothing would be better than hearing the imperial march being played as the teams come out for the third period... assuming cornell has the lead

Posted by: ben03 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: May 24, 2005 10:34PM

[Q]Dpperk29 Wrote:
nothing would be better than hearing the imperial march being played as the teams come out for the third period... assuming cornell has the lead[/q]
This worked quite well for the Syracuse men's lacrosse team in the mid 90's, in their all white strip, as they entered from their Dome dressing room to take their pregame lap of the field. If there is one place I’ve been that has the Death Star/Star Warsesque feel it'd be the Carrier Dome booming with the Imperial March and the defending national champions coming out of the tunnel.

For the record ... I grew up attending the majority of Syracuse lacrosse games and the “evil orange empire” is #2 in my book but far cry from the boys in Red.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chicago.ameritech.net)
Date: May 25, 2005 03:28PM

Rocky forever! It's all about the accrued psychological weight of three years of hearing the same song at the beginning of every third. The third has to be different:

1) Cornell flies onto the ice.
2) Those players that are pumped up are pumped up.
3) Those that may not be feeling all that great hear Rocky and, unconsciously, associate it with games for which they were pumped, slipping into the "zone" regardless of distractions.

Anyway, we're not the "evil empire," we're the indefatigable underdogs.

Proper Pep Band conducting is all about understanding crowd dynamics and performance psychology. You have to know when to play a cheer and wake the crowd up, but you have to sense when to "let the crowd take it" and keep the band quiet. You have to understand what traditions are OK to change, for example playing "Deep in the Heart of Texas" in the 2nd, and what traditions are important in creating a uniform psychological advantage, as I mention above.

And it's about getting tempi right by flogging the percussion into paying attention. Oh wait, that was just me...

P.S. Our "Imperial March" cheer has always sucked! Thank you, Miss Banshee. Get somebody to rearrange the Bud Cheer while you're at it. (#5 if I remember correctly.)

Posted by: ugarte (---.cisco.com)
Date: May 25, 2005 03:49PM

[Q]Scersk '97 Wrote:
[/q]I guess that depends on whether the game is ECACHL or OOC.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: May 25, 2005 05:43PM

[Q]ugarte Wrote:
Scersk '97 Wrote:
[/Q]
I guess that depends on whether the game is ECACHL or OOC.[/q]
Nope. In the ECAC we're the good and benevolent leaders of the Republic! Yeah, that's the ticket!

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.nrp4.mon.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 26, 2005 08:42PM

[Q]Dpperk29 Wrote:

nothing would be better than hearing the imperial march being played as the teams come out for the third period... assuming cornell has the lead[/q]

I've argued for this on this very board in the past, but it become clear that the vast majority likes the status quo. I still am not a huge fan of the "underdog" connotations of Rocky, but it is a catchy song and does transition very well into Gary Glitter.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: May 26, 2005 11:28PM

For the last 6 years, the Imperial March has just been a painful reminder that an interesting concept was gradually lobotomized into a computer animated children's franchise.

Even if Rocky suffered almost as terrible a fate in oversequalization, it's still a lot more dignified. Keep it.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.ny5030.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 27, 2005 06:52AM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:
For the last 6 years, the Imperial March has just been a painful reminder that an interesting concept was gradually lobotomized into a computer animated children's franchise.

Even if Rocky suffered almost as terrible a fate in oversequalization, it's still a lot more dignified. Keep it.[/q]

If the Pep Band culled songs from its playlist based solely upon the decline of the movie franchise from which they originated, they'd definitely have to get rid of the theme from "Love Story."

On a related note, what's the over/under on how long it'll be before Cornell students hear "Vehicle" and think it's a Bo Bice original?

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login