Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

[OT] The secret to Cornell's success this year?

Posted by Jerseygirl 
[OT] The secret to Cornell's success this year?
Posted by: Jerseygirl (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 18, 2005 06:29PM

Seeking Olympic gold? Wear red

Discuss.

/Gotta go to yoga. No time to think of a witticism for this post. I know you're crushed, but in the long run, it's best that I'm "centered."

Re: [OT] The secret to Cornell's success this year?
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 18, 2005 09:49PM

[Q]Jerseygirl Wrote: Seeking Olympic gold? Wear red
Discuss.
/Gotta go to yoga. No time to think of a witticism for this post. I know you're crushed, but in the long run, it's best that I'm "centered."[/q]It was an interesting article. Heard about it on NPR. [www.npr.org] the author discussed his research; Olympic athletes wearing red win more often than those in blue; they had some sports statistician who came on and discussed how it just didn't make sense, so it must be wrong. Good work Sherlock.

Well: Gotta go to yoda. :-)

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 18, 2005 11:42PM

[Q]Jerseygirl Wrote:

Seeking Olympic gold? Wear red [http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7899097/]

Discuss.

/Gotta go to yoga. No time to think of a witticism for this post. I know you're crushed, but in the long run, it's best that I'm "centered."[/q]1) Right, let somebody else take the faceoffs.

2) If you wear the color of success and then call your team the Redmen, do you get called before the NCAA correctness posse?

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: May 19, 2005 03:04AM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

2) If you wear the color of success and then call your team the Redmen, do you get called before the NCAA correctness posse?

[/q]

Maybe, if there are any women on the team. :-P

Posted by: Robb (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: May 19, 2005 12:56PM

Heh. A coworker asked me about that (because I have Cornell Hockey stuff all over my cube. Here was my response:

Cornell's road uniforms are indeed red - very red:

[link to a picture of a road uniform on elynah]

while their home uniforms have white shirts and red pants:

[link to a picture of a home uniform on elynah]

I found the stats immediately, but had to be careful, because I know that in the past the team has worn red at home instead. Therefore, I couldn't say for sure before 1990 (when I started following the team) which color they were wearing in any given game. Since 1990 I know they've always worn red on the road and white at home. During that time, in league games they're 106-47-22 (.669) at home (in white) but only 84-71-20 (.537) on the road (in red). The league plays a balanced schedule, so that is against the same teams home and away. So being at home more than outweighs any advantage that wearing red gives them on the road. Unfortunately, uniform color is 100% correlated with venue, so there's no way to assign variability to these factors - we'd need different data (where uniform color was not correlated with venue) to be able to do that accurately.

That is to say, their average record is .602, so we can't say whether the home advantage is +.070 and wearing white is -.003 or if being at home is +.1 and wearing white is -.033. All we know is that (white & home) is .067 better than (red & away).

Of course, you could just go right to the fact that of the 12 ECAC teams, the only three to have ever won the national championship have red uniforms: Cornell Big Red, Harvard Crimson, and RPI (scarlet?) Engineers...

What can I say? I'm a dork...

Posted by: Trotsky (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: May 19, 2005 01:01PM

[Q]Robb Wrote:
Unfortunately, uniform color is 100% correlated with venue, so there's no way to assign variability to these factors - we'd need different data (where uniform color was not correlated with venue) to be able to do that accurately.[/q]

You could subset neutral venue games, figure out who was wearing "home" and "road" jerseys, what the color combinations were, and take the records. You may have to assign a weighted score based on the portion of each uniform that is red. Also, it is not purely binary -- other colors may lead to losing (hopefully, brown and its various ugly hues).
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2005 01:02PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: May 19, 2005 01:33PM

There's really no way to boil this down to team sports (although I admire the effort) at least not organized ones as currently played. That is because there are a ton of factors that play into it, not just home/away and possibly uniform color, but let's not forget about team skill. You appear to do this with the balanced schedule, but over multiple years there are obviously big differences in skill, and differences within a year of injuries, who was in goal that night, etc.

The only way to account for one factor is to eliminate the others, and since skill, luck, venue, etc are unquantifyable, we can't just subtract them out.

The only way to do it is what they did, which is to pick sports in which the color is randomly assigned, and the same people get different colors in different matches. You essentially roll a die to determine which athlete/team gets one color for that game. Over a long enough haul, if administered fairly, you can assume that skill, location, luck, etc even out, and you can see if any differences in wins, based on the only remaining factor of color, is statisically significant.

Also note that the article never claimed that more red was better than less red. One could assume that, but they didn't say it, since they were probably only studying situations in which head guards/equipment was either all red or all something else. Cornell wears some about of red home and away, of course, so it could not matter at all. Or at least, it would matter less than red vs. say, green. This part is of course assuming that there is validity to the theory. It could be total hogwash.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: May 19, 2005 01:39PM

[Q]There's really no way to boil this down to team sports... That is because there are a ton of factors that play into it, not just home/away and possibly uniform color, but let's not forget about team skill....This part is of course assuming that there is validity to the theory. It could be total hogwash.[/q]I think you've gpt it right at the end there.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.nrl.navy.mil)
Date: May 19, 2005 02:46PM

[Q]Robb Wrote:

Of course, you could just go right to the fact that of the 12 ECAC teams, the only three to have ever won the national championship have red uniforms: Cornell Big Red, Harvard Crimson, and RPI (scarlet?) Engineers...

What can I say? I'm a dork...

[/q]
RPI is Cherry Red.

Let me add:
[q]From the Cornell Alumni Magazine Vol 104 No. 4 describing why Cornell's uniforms are bright red
Some give credit to legendary hockey and lacrosse coach Ned Harkness, who came to the Hill in 1963. He changed the color of the hockey uniforms to bright red (perhaps because that was what he was accustomed to, after eighteen years at RPI); other Cornell sports teams followed suit. [/q] :-P

Posted by: billhoward (---.ziffdavis.com)
Date: May 19, 2005 10:01PM

When Cornell plays Brown at home, even with white jerseys, it's wearing more red than Bruno is.

The only thing I don't like about Cornell's away red jerseys is they're not bright spanking clean and new and kind of remind me of the Soviet uniforms albeit without the dorky half-dome helmets.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login