Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

[IIHF] Ice Hockey World Championships

Posted by jtwcornell91 
[IIHF] Ice Hockey World Championships
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: May 05, 2005 03:22PM

I thoght there was a thread about this, but it's not on the first page any more.

Here's a reason you should join me in supporting Switzerland over Germany: Oliver Jonas is in net for the Germans.

I think Germany needs to win by 2 to advance. It's currently 1-1 in the second.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Re: [IIHF] Ice Hockey World Championships
Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: May 05, 2005 03:58PM

Official site is very nice: [www.ralphsworldjr.com]

Except, upon further review, that's the WJC site. Sorry. ;-)

The actual site, [www.icehockey2005.com], loads forever the last time I checked it.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2005 04:01PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: May 05, 2005 04:05PM

Just go to [www.ihwc.net]

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: May 05, 2005 04:26PM

Jonas?! Grrr.

Anyone got a pic of those guys who painted "JONAS SUCKS" on their chests a few years back?

Posted by: Beeeej (---.bc.yu.edu)
Date: May 05, 2005 05:26PM

[www.elynah.com]

I have a better one, but it's on my currently-being-serviced laptop. Give me a few days.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: jkahn (216.146.73.---)
Date: May 09, 2005 07:01PM

Is there any FCC regulation or other law that prohibits U.S. cable companies or satellite providers from carrying Canadian television networks?
I know NHL CenterIce will pick up games occasionally from CBC or Rogers SportsNet. It's disappointing how little coverage there is of the World Championships, particular given that hockey fans (particularly NHL fans with no college hockey affiliation) must be starving out there. You'd think someone would syndicate a package for Directv or pay-for-view (yes, I know there is an internet version of that for the tournament). In retrospect, perhaps it was also amazing that there was decent television coverage of the World Juniors in the U.S. this year.

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.housing.hawaii.edu)
Date: May 09, 2005 07:04PM

I heard today from a sports bar that the man in charge of this tournament offered broadcasting rights for free and no one picked it up. If true that is pretty sad.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: May 09, 2005 08:12PM

Doesn't really surprise me that much, if true. The NHL is hardly a ratings and advertising revenue bonanza. For every die hard NHL fan out there who is starved for hockey there may well be more who are either fed up with it right now, have moved on to other sports for the summer or never cared about hockey outside of the NHL in the first place. Even if the broadcast rights are free you have to consider the opportunity cost of showing it rather than something else that might bring in better advertising dollars (or simply payment for airtime).

Posted by: jy3 (---.buff.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 09, 2005 08:40PM

[Q]jkahn Wrote:

Is there any FCC regulation or other law that prohibits U.S. cable companies or satellite providers from carrying Canadian television networks?
I know NHL CenterIce will pick up games occasionally from CBC or Rogers SportsNet. It's disappointing how little coverage there is of the World Championships, particular given that hockey fans (particularly NHL fans with no college hockey affiliation) must be starving out there. You'd think someone would syndicate a package for Directv or pay-for-view (yes, I know there is an internet version of that for the tournament). In retrospect, perhaps it was also amazing that there was decent television coverage of the World Juniors in the U.S. this year.[/q]

adelphia here in buffalo carries a canadian station.

Posted by: cth95 (---.a-315.westelcom.com)
Date: May 10, 2005 11:40AM

Adelphia in northern Vermont carries three Canadian channels including one in French. Time Warner in northern New York carries one in English. These are all just part of the normal cable package.

Date: May 10, 2005 01:50PM

I guess its time for me to start campaigning with Directv to have them pick up CBC, TSN and RogersSportsNet.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: May 10, 2005 02:03PM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:
For every die hard NHL fan out there who is starved for hockey there may well be more who are either fed up with it right now, have moved on to other sports for the summer or never cared about hockey outside of the NHL in the first place.[/q]
I think it's more a reflection of the size of the fanbase, not its loyalty. More than any other major sport, I think hockey fans are fans of the sport itself -- probably because it's such an insular community. As a corollary, I doubt the lost season will affect NHL attendance at all in the places where it ever had a real future (the 3 Ms, the Crime Corridor, CO, and Canada).

OTOH, it will hopefully kill hockey south of DC forever.

Date: May 10, 2005 02:05PM

Just sent the following to Directv:
As a hockey fan, the value of your offerings would be considerably enhanced by adding TSN, RogersSportsNet and CBC from Canada. TSN is currently carrying World Hockey Championship games from Austria. I purchase NHL CenterIce (when there is a season). Currently I have both Directv and cable, and it will make sense to drop one. These extra station would be a great value for hockey fans, even if NHL games are blacked out, for their extra hockey highlights and news coverage. I know many hockey fans who would switch from cable if Canadian stations were available on Directv.
Is it possible to pick up the remaining World Hockey Championship games from TSN this week? Thanks.

Posted by: redice (---.sub-70-213-43.myvzw.com)
Date: May 10, 2005 06:31PM

Maybe a Canadian satellite TV provider is the best answer. I looked at their channel lineup a few years ago. It looked to be very extensive. [www.bell.ca] I don't know if they do legitimate business in the US. If not, I've seen people circumvent that little problem.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 10, 2005 10:33PM

[Q]redice Wrote:
I don't know if they do legitimate business in the US. If not, I've seen people circumvent that little problem. [/q]
Kind of like buying Lipitor at a reasonable price. B-]

Posted by: Beeeej (151.205.126.---)
Date: May 11, 2005 07:54AM

[Q]Will Wrote:
Anyone got a pic of those guys who painted "JONAS SUCKS" on their chests a few years back?[/q]

Here's a better one.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Re: [IIHF] Who does this sound like?
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: May 12, 2005 08:41PM

This team wears red, plays a defensive style of hockey with outstanding goaltending and good special teams. People don't feel they belong in the top tier of teams, and don't like to watch their style of play?

Sound familiar?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login