Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Interview With Coach Schafer Now Available!

Posted by CowbellGuy 
Interview With Coach Schafer Now Available!
Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: April 12, 2005 06:04PM

ELynah.com's exclusive interview with Coach Schafer is now available. Thanks to all who submitted questions!

[www.elynah.com]

Re: Interview With Coach Schafer Now Available!
Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: April 12, 2005 06:37PM

A couple interesting quotes:
[q]We need home games. We are a team that needs to support our Athletic Department and bring in money, just like anyone else. It does our department and University no good if we are traveling all over the place and not playing at home.[/q]He seems to be saying that money is just as important to Cornell's scheduling as it is to Michigan or Minnesota. The only difference is that the Gophers and Wolverines have more leverage. Also sounds like we're doing the same thing to CHA/AH teams that the Big Ten powers do to us.

Maybe the NCAA should mandate that teams play at least 1/3 of their games on the road in order to address this inequity. Oh wait, this is the NC$$
[q]I think the officials need to take the next step by really enforcing the rules of a dive, and the referees can't be afraid to call this. ...I believe it hurt us down the stretch drive, especially in the NCAAs. ... I think they need to address the issue of diving because it is running rampant and hurting our game more than the clutching and grabbing. It is the worst possible thing that can happen to our sport.[/q]I had the same thought while watching Minnesota (though admittedly with red-tinted glasses on). It seemed like they would flop to the ice at the least provocation.
[q]I can discuss how next year's team is shaping up, but I can't discuss each individual in the Class of 2009 until we send out a press release. [/q]Is this an NC$$ regulation, league policy or just a Cornell thing? I don't think it's a bad idea (the kids aren't even matriculated yet) but just curious.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: April 12, 2005 06:59PM

[Q]Coach Schafer said:
It's important to the NCAA because they take money from institutions like Minnesota in order to have a strong regional, but then it's not important to them when they place a team like Cornell out West when we have a large fan base and the stands were relatively empty in the East. [/q]

I never can understand why our fans don't get a little re$pect from the powers that be. It seems we would have brought some money to the turnstyles with attendance in Amherst or Worcester. I don't see why that doesn't cut it.

Reading this interview makes me look forward to next year but brings back the Minny Blues!
:`(

Posted by: dadeo (---.eatntn01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 12, 2005 07:17PM

Gotta love the double standard.
They want to assure a competitive bracket (by putting us #5 and #4 together), and wanting to attract fans. They scheduled a regional in Minny to attract fans, but threw us there to take em away
Im just scared now that there's gonna be regionals in albany and rochester in the next two years, they're gonna ship us away again. Since Rochester's team is gonna be RIT and Albany's team is Union, there's no home rule for us :(
well - here's to hoping
dave '02

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: April 12, 2005 07:24PM

The Rochester regional is being hosted by the ECAC, not RIT. Still means no home regional for us. But I think the committee might work hard to get Cornell into the Rochester regional. There aren't a lot of schools that are going to bring a lot of fans to Rochester, I think.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: April 12, 2005 07:45PM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:

The Rochester regional is being hosted by the ECAC, not RIT. Still means no home regional for us. But I think the committee might work hard to get Cornell into the Rochester regional. There aren't a lot of schools that are going to bring a lot of fans to Rochester, I think. [/q]

I agree. I imagine one of the benefits for the NCAA of not putting Cornell in Amherst or Worcester, aside from that whole competitive bracket thing, is that they supposedly could depend on UNH, BC, and BU to support those two regionals (though from what I hear, it was a resounding failure), while Minnesota and Michigan would take care of Minneapolis and Grand Rapids. Cornell fans were the sacrificial lambs of the shuffle. But with a regional in Rochester, Cornell is the only school in a reasonable range that will line the NCAA's pockets (i.e., bring an army of fans with disposable cash).

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 12, 2005 07:47PM

whoops
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2005 07:49PM by DeltaOne81.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 12, 2005 07:48PM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:

Dave Bush gets leveled and Cornell will get their first man-up of the game[/q]
Wrong thread! I'm roaming, too.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 12, 2005 07:48PM

whoops
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2005 07:49PM by DeltaOne81.

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.housing.hawaii.edu)
Date: April 12, 2005 07:53PM

from what I gather over at uscho.com the rest of the WCHA thinks Minny does a pretty good job of flopping too

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 12, 2005 08:09PM

Similar comments from some of the CCHA crowd about at least one of the OSU players (little guy, IIRC).

Posted by: dargason (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 12, 2005 09:35PM

[Q]dadeo Wrote:

Since Rochester's team is gonna be RIT and Albany's team is Union, there's no home rule for us
[/q]

We are allowed to host a regional in a city that is not out "home" city. BU was the East Regional host in Worcester, even though they play in Boston and Holy Cross is Worcester's "home team". It's all a matter of who decides to set it up.

Posted by: Hillel Hoffmann (---.chesnh01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: April 12, 2005 11:12PM

Very nicely done, Age, from the editing to the layout.

The original content you've started to offer lately is The Great Leap Forward for eLynah.

You and Greg (with his TBRW site) are providing services that have become essential for a generation of Cornell alumni, fans, and even players and their families.

Thanks.

Posted by: Mark (---.z064002065.nyc-ny.dsl.cnc.net)
Date: April 13, 2005 02:38PM

"the stands were relatively empty in the East."

Just a minor quibble with the Coach on this. Amherst attendance was definitely low, with 3,600 the first day and 3,400 the second day, but Worcester had 8,300 the first day and 8,600 the second day. Either would've certainly benefitted having Cornell in the field, but I wouldn't say that Worcester was "relatively empty." JMHO.

Posted by: cth95 (---.a-315.westelcom.com)
Date: April 13, 2005 03:33PM

I agree wholeheartedly. Thanks for working so hard on this site and keeping us so well informed about our beloved Big Red! Hearing directly from Coach Schafer instead of from people speculating about what he thinks was great.

Posted by: mjh89 (---.public.cornell.edu)
Date: April 14, 2005 12:20PM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:

I can discuss how next year's team is shaping up, but I can't discuss each individual in the Class of 2009 until we send out a press release. [/Q]
Is this an NC$$ regulation, league policy or just a Cornell thing? I don't think it's a bad idea (the kids aren't even matriculated yet) but just curious.[/q]

NCAA Regulation.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login