Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Clarkson's band

Posted by GaryP 
Clarkson's band
Posted by: GaryP (205.232.75.---)
Date: March 13, 2005 12:05AM

Who else thought Clarkson's band 1) played too often 2) made too many obnoxious sounds, 3) weakened this weekend's experience for the aforementioned reasons?

Re: Clarkson's band
Posted by: calgARI '07 (205.232.75.---)
Date: March 13, 2005 12:07AM

I will say it made cowbelling a little tougher with their drumming putting a rival beat in my head. But whatever, the other team bringing a band does add to the atmosphere IMO.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2005 12:10AM by calgARI '07.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: March 13, 2005 12:09AM

Oh, quit whining. Having an opposing band there adds to the experience. I'm sure they were trying to be obnoxious, the same we are to the opposing team/fans.

I will say they didn't sound great as a band this weekend, but that may have been because of spring break.

Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2005 12:20AM

I never liked having to cheer over an opposing band but I think it makes the whole atmosphere of Lynah more electric! Not only is there a competition on ice but there is also one going on in the stands!

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 13, 2005 12:34AM

[Q]GaryP Wrote:

Who else thought Clarkson's band 1) played too often 2) made too many obnoxious sounds, 3) weakened this weekend's experience for the aforementioned reasons?[/q]

1. They seemed to play too often during overtime. I always thought the generally accepted rule was that the two bands alternate who plays during each stoppage of play. When it got to overtime, I think the Clarkson band decided to throw that out the window and just keep playing to piss off the Cornell players, the Faithful, etc. Also, they seemed to almost flagrantly violate the NCAA rule and be slow to stop playing once the puck dropped. Maybe they just weren't watching the ice closely enough, but frankly, I expect more from Clarkson's band.

2. Their obnoxious sounds were of course horrible, but that was the point, so I can't really fault them too much for trying to rally their own fans. Besides, they're Clarkson students--they're used to annoying sounds (i.e., the train whistle).

3. I don't think my experience was weakened by their band. In fact, I think my experience was enhanced by it, since it helped unite the fans in "Section O sucks" cheers, and I also managed to crack a few jokes about it at Traylen.

Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: March 13, 2005 12:38AM

As I asked in the IRC chat, was that a horn they had or was someone raping a cow?

Date: March 13, 2005 12:41AM

[Q]French Rage Wrote:

As I asked in the IRC chat, was that a horn they had or was someone raping a cow?[/q]

They were raping a cown with a horn in its mouth. ;-)

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2005 12:45AM

Two funny Clarkson band related signs tonight, from the Townies.

One, from someone just a couple of seats from the Clarkson band:

"This Band Sucks", with arrow pointing to the Clarkson band. It was held up whenever the Clarkson band played.

And another sign, a little further away, apparently referring to the assinine sounds some of the Clarkson horns/noisemakers were making:

"Clarkson Mating Call."

I liked 'em both!
Andy W.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2005 12:48AM

[Q]Will Wrote:

GaryP Wrote:

Who else thought Clarkson's band 1) played too often 2) made too many obnoxious sounds, 3) weakened this weekend's experience for the aforementioned reasons?[/Q]
1. They seemed to play too often during overtime. I always thought the generally accepted rule was that the two bands alternate who plays during each stoppage of play. When it got to overtime, I think the Clarkson band decided to throw that out the window and just keep playing to piss off the Cornell players, the Faithful, etc. Also, they seemed to almost flagrantly violate the NCAA rule and be slow to stop playing once the puck dropped. Maybe they just weren't watching the ice closely enough, but frankly, I expect more from Clarkson's band.[/q]
Why did you expect more? In their own rink they play during play a lot. The rink manager doesn't stop them because he feels like it adds to the atmosphere... nevermind that it's against the rules. yark

Date: March 13, 2005 12:59AM

[Q]Section A Banshee Wrote:

Why did you expect more? In their own rink they play during play a lot. The rink manager doesn't stop them because he feels like it adds to the atmosphere... nevermind that it's against the rules. [/q]

They're still a fairly good pep band (though a distant second to the Big Red Pep Band :-D ), so I guess I equated that with ability to follow the rules. I was wrong.

I wonder, can a complaint somehow be made to the referee about a band playing past the drop of the puck? Maybe get the other team a bench minor out of it? :-P

Posted by: cudaredevil (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2005 01:06AM

Cornell's band was just as bad if not worse than Clarkson's about playing after the puck dropped. There were several times where they continued so long, even we (Clarkson's band) were amazed that they didn't get a bench minor. Generally, if we played during play, it was one or two people, with the rest of the band begging them to stop to avoid a stupid penalty, as opposed to the full Cornell band playing a good 20 seconds after puck-drop.

By the way -- I'm daredevilcu, I just didn't feel like logging in.

Posted by: mjh89 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 13, 2005 01:14AM

20 seconds? Not even close chief. Clarkson's band SUCKED. The music was awful. The guy on the snare drum needs to be shot. Just obnoxious noise.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2005 01:22AM

[Q]Will Wrote:I wonder, can a complaint somehow be made to the referee about a band playing past the drop of the puck? Maybe get the other team a bench minor out of it?[/q]Reminds me of a game in Potsdam many, many years ago, when Ref Pierre Belanger (spell?) heard the CLK band play too long and then skated right up to them and reprimanded them.

Well, too late, SU lost, so good night. Will this be the first year that SU Lax doesn't make the fianl four?

Posted by: Me (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2005 02:48AM

[Q]cudaredevil Wrote:

Cornell's band was just as bad if not worse than Clarkson's about playing after the puck dropped. There were several times where they continued so long, even we (Clarkson's band) were amazed that they didn't get a bench minor. Generally, if we played during play, it was one or two people, with the rest of the band begging them to stop to avoid a stupid penalty, as opposed to the full Cornell band playing a good 20 seconds after puck-drop.

By the way -- I'm daredevilcu, I just didn't feel like logging in.[/q]

Cornell Band ALWAYS stopped after the puck was dropped. It was our fans that kept on singing and clapping. In Lynah, the music never stopped because we, the people kept it alive. Clarkson idiots simply couldn't distiguish the sound and thought that it was coming from our band.

Also, notice that when section A and B yelled at the Clarkson band, there was this one douchebag with the trumpet that kept waving back at us like faerie. He should be shot.

Posted by: aznxjz (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2005 02:54AM

I thought it was very annoying when the Clarkson band played while the scores from other games were being announced during the intermissions.

And about the whole "it adds to the atmosphere" argument. I thought when they played music, it was fine...but that horn was just noise...

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2005 03:29AM

The Cornell band has been reprimanded numerous times about playing after the puck drops and as a result it rarely happens. (See: a capella Rock and Roll Part II. You don't think that shit just happens spontaneously, do you?) Other bands, including Clarkson's band, do it all the time and rarely if ever get called on it. (I don't care if it's just one asshole with a trumpet and if the rest of you were telling him to stop. Playing is playing.)

Don't get me wrong. Other bands add to the atmosphere. Other bands who play when it's not their turn in an effort to drown out cheers (I'm looking squarely at you, Colgate) are assholes.

Posted by: aznxjz (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2005 03:34AM

[Q]jmh30 Wrote:

I'm looking squarely at you, Colgate[/q]

It's not their fault. Clearly an effect of improper breeding....

I went to a game at Colgate last year. They remind me of fans at IC for some reason....

Posted by: jeh25 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 13, 2005 08:42AM

[Q]Jim Hyla Wrote:

Will Wrote:I wonder, can a complaint somehow be made to the referee about a band playing past the drop of the puck? Maybe get the other team a bench minor out of it?[/Q]
Reminds me of a game in Potsdam many, many years ago, when Ref Pierre Belanger (spell?) heard the CLK band play too long and then skated right up to them and reprimanded them.

Well, too late, SU lost, so good night. Will this be the first year that SU Lax doesn't make the fianl four?[/q]

Don't worry, the smokey backroom deals are still alive in college Lax. SU will get in by being a "quality program" or some other BS. Couple of years back they took Hofstra rather than Yale even when a head to head comparision using their own published criteria showed they should have taken Yale.

Out of the 20+ straight FF appearances for SU, how many were a direct result of undeserved byes?

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: March 13, 2005 09:24AM

[Q]jeh25 Wrote:

Don't worry, the smokey backroom deals are still alive in college Lax. SU will get in by being a "quality program" or some other BS. Couple of years back they took Hofstra rather than Yale even when a head to head comparision using their own published criteria showed they should have taken Yale.
[/q]

That was the year that the Swami correctly predicted the "surprising" selection of Duke over Johns Hopkins, but wondered why they didn't choose Yale as well, right?

The Lax criteria are just fucked up anyway. Makes you thankful for the PWR.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: March 13, 2005 09:26AM

Over the webcast the Clarkson band definitely seemed not to be up to their usual standards, presumably due to being short-handed. What's with Techers leaving the state for Spring Break instead of going places like Ithaca and Lake Placid, anyway?

Posted by: Drew (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 13, 2005 10:03AM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:

Over the webcast the Clarkson band definitely seemed not to be up to their usual standards, presumably due to being short-handed. What's with Techers leaving the state for Spring Break instead of going places like Ithaca and Lake Placid, anyway?[/q]

Poor bastards, haven't seen weather over 30 degrees or a good looking girl since they left their homes in August.....can't fault them.......the alumni has to pick up the slack.

Date: March 13, 2005 10:44AM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:

Over the webcast the Clarkson band definitely seemed not to be up to their usual standards, presumably due to being short-handed. What's with Techers leaving the state for Spring Break instead of going places like Ithaca and Lake Placid, anyway?[/q]

Maybe they want to spend their Spring Break in a place even colder, more remote, and with less attractive women than Potsdam? I hear Point Barrow is nice this time of year. :-P

Posted by: Brian Deerr '04 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 13, 2005 11:04AM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:

Through my four years as a Cornell percussionist, I don't think I've ever heard the Clarkson band being up to anyone's standards. I'd put them at the bottom of the pack for other bands in the league (with the possible exception of the SLU(t) rent-a-band incident). RPI has had a good band in recent years, as has Yale. Harvard checks in a little bit below them. I've played with the RPI and Harvard bands at Placid/Albany and they've been good musicians and people in general. The Yale band gets the nod for their full length version of November Rain and for the fact that their percussion section calls themselves Kappa Banga Banga.

I don't blame the Clarkson band for this, though - I blame whoever arranged their music and forgot to make sure that all the parts are in the same key at the same time.

Brian '04

Posted by: BCrespi (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2005 11:07AM

Drunk stupid frat guys look, smell, and sound alike.

Date: March 13, 2005 11:21AM

[Q]BCrespi Wrote:

Drunk stupid frat guys look, smell, and sound alike.[/q]

30% of the Cornell population is greek. It's about the same at Colgate. Don't blame it on the fraternities at Colgate, nerd. ;-)

Date: March 13, 2005 11:27AM

laugh I don't blame it on the fraternities or the members themselves. I blame it on a population that allows its persona to be totally taken over by one (often regrettable) segment of the group. And also, "drunk, stupid frat guys," is what i said.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2005 11:27AM by BCrespi.

Posted by: Pace (---.library.cornell.edu)
Date: March 13, 2005 11:33AM

[Q]Brian Deerr Wrote:

jtwcornell91 Wrote:

Over the webcast the Clarkson band definitely seemed not to be up to their usual standards, presumably due to being short-handed. What's with Techers leaving the state for Spring Break instead of going places like Ithaca and Lake Placid, anyway?[/Q]
Through my four years as a Cornell percussionist, I don't think I've ever heard the Clarkson band being up to anyone's standards. I'd put them at the bottom of the pack for other bands in the league (with the possible exception of the SLU(t) rent-a-band incident). RPI has had a good band in recent years, as has Yale. Harvard checks in a little bit below them. I've played with the RPI and Harvard bands at Placid/Albany and they've been good musicians and people in general. The Yale band gets the nod for their full length version of November Rain and for the fact that their percussion section calls themselves Kappa Banga Banga.

I don't blame the Clarkson band for this, though - I blame whoever arranged their music and forgot to make sure that all the parts are in the same key at the same time.

Brian '04[/q]

I never knew there was an accepted key in which one is supposed to rape a cow...

Date: March 13, 2005 11:48AM

[Q]Brian Deerr Wrote:
...and for the fact that their percussion section calls themselves Kappa Banga Banga.[/q]Eh, you drummers are all the same. "ME BANG DRUM! BANG BANG BANG!" :-P

Posted by: Beeeej (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2005 11:59AM

[Q]atb9 Wrote:
BCrespi Wrote:
Drunk stupid frat guys look, smell, and sound alike.[/Q]
30% of the Cornell population is greek. It's about the same at Colgate. Don't blame it on the fraternities at Colgate, nerd.[/q]

As he clarified, he was talking about drunk stupid frat guys. And I'll back him up on this, to the point of saying that I'm a KDR, and the guys who were in KDR at Colgate when I was an undergrad were complete assholes. They came to our house, drank our beer, urinated on our house, stole some of our stuff, then got arrested in Ithaca for urinating on other people's houses. "Sacred bond" my ass.

Syracuse and RIT KDRs, however, were (and I hope still are) exceedingly cool.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: March 13, 2005 12:00PM

[Q]Drew Wrote:

jtwcornell91 Wrote:

Over the webcast the Clarkson band definitely seemed not to be up to their usual standards, presumably due to being short-handed. What's with Techers leaving the state for Spring Break instead of going places like Ithaca and Lake Placid, anyway?[/Q]
Poor bastards, haven't seen weather over 30 degrees or a good looking girl since they left their homes in August.....can't fault them.......the alumni has to pick up the slack.[/q]

We do have good-looking girls at Cornell, you know...

Date: March 13, 2005 12:03PM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:

Drew Wrote:

jtwcornell91 Wrote:

Poor bastards, haven't seen weather over 30 degrees or a good looking girl since they left their homes in August.....can't fault them.......the alumni has to pick up the slack.[/Q]
We do have good-looking girls at Cornell, you know...[/q]

Yeah, all 6 of them.

Date: March 13, 2005 12:09PM

[Q]BCrespi Wrote:

I don't blame it on the fraternities or the members themselves. I blame it on a population that allows its persona to be totally taken over by one (often regrettable) segment of the group. And also, "drunk, stupid frat guys," is what i said.[/q]

[blah, blah, blah]

Are you talking about the human population, because it sure sounds like it.

[Q]BCrespi Wrote:
And also, "drunk, stupid frat guys," is what i said.[/q]

Oh, well, in that case I'll take it as a compliment? :-P The problem is "ig-nant" people don't see those descriptions as qualifiers....

When was the last time you saw a keg at a fraternity party? The Greek population (and Albany, Ithaca, and Cornell) is working hard to control the outliers. Check out how many fraternities have been kicked off of campus in the past five years. The Times, they are a-changin'! And change was happening long before you got to Cornell.

Anyways...my point is there are drunk, stupid people in all walks of life and alcohol experimentation is rampant across all college populations, not just the Greek population. For every drunk you point out that are in fraternities, I can point out two drunks with lower grades that are non-members; it's just a little harder to find them because they're often in an apartment alone.

[/blah, blah, blah]

No big deal...I have to watch my tactless, dirty jokes...and after the "frat guy" jab, I just wanted to give a "nerd" jab. You will find that many of the people posting to this board are Greek...and are nerds!

Date: March 13, 2005 12:14PM

[Q]Pace Wrote:

Yeah, all 6 of them.[/q]

As an ECE, here's my advice: stop hanging out in the engineering quad. ;-) :-P

There are tons of good looking girls at Cornell...and the IC girls can be found at JO's, Dino's, and Bear Lodge. Sure, it's not SUNY Albany but if it was, you'd have to deal with all of the drunk, stupid frat guys that are there! ;-)

Posted by: tjk2 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2005 12:15PM

jailhouse rock: learn a new song you morons

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 13, 2005 12:15PM

We need a lot more "input" from Tech trolls if this is going to reach the level of the Colgate's Band thread :-P

Date: March 13, 2005 12:18PM

well played adam, well played

Date: March 13, 2005 12:21PM

[Q]Beeeej Wrote:

As he clarified, he was talking about drunk stupid frat guys. [/q]

Beeeej, the three are most often used as synonyms and not qualifiers.

It's all good. I was just having some fun waiting for squeekball to start! :-P

Date: March 13, 2005 12:22PM

Most of the Tech trolls are probably too busy making plans to go snowmobiling in Moose Rectum, Ontario next weekend to bother checking in here anymore.

(With all due respect.)

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: March 13, 2005 12:23PM

[Q]Beeeej Wrote:

Most of the Tech trolls are probably too busy making plans to go snowmobiling in Moose Rectum, Ontario next weekend to bother checking in here anymore.

(With all due respect.)

Beeeej[/q]

Hahaha! I'm offended but I'm not sure why.... ;-)

Date: March 13, 2005 12:23PM

[Q]atb9 Wrote:
Beeeej Wrote:
As he clarified, he was talking about drunk stupid frat guys. [/Q]
Beeeej, the three are most often used as synonyms and not qualifiers.[/q]

I'm aware of that, and I spent more energy on worrying about it during my [*unintelligible*] years as an undergrad than I care to remember. Try letting it go. :-{)}

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Date: March 13, 2005 12:28PM

[Q]Beeeej Wrote:

Try letting it go. :-{)}
[/q]

You had me at the facial hair! :-D

Date: March 13, 2005 12:28PM

[Q]Beeeej Wrote:
I'm aware of that, and I spent more energy on worrying about it during my seven years as an undergrad than I care to remember. Try letting it go. :-{)}[/q]Fixed your post. For clarity purposes, of course. :-}

Date: March 13, 2005 12:32PM

[Q]tjk2 Wrote:

jailhouse rock: learn a new song you morons[/q]

You realize someone could say the same thing about us and the "Dragnet" theme, right?

Date: March 13, 2005 12:34PM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:

tjk2 Wrote:

jailhouse rock: learn a new song you morons[/Q]
You realize someone could say the same thing about us and the "Dragnet" theme, right?[/q]
Jailhouse Rock is probably the most annoying song I've ever heard another band play, and for that I think they deserve a little grudging respect. I cringe every time it starts.

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2005 12:35PM

[Q]Jim Hyla Wrote:

Well, too late, SU lost, so good night. Will this be the first year that SU Lax doesn't make the fianl four?[/q]

The key is getting to the tournament. SU has 2 teams on their schedule that aren't currently in the top-20. Brutal

[Q]tjk2 Wrote:
jailhouse rock: learn a new song you morons[/q]To be fair, our band plays the same cheer for every penalty too.

Now, if you were to say "Can't Turn You Loose: Learn a new song, you morons", you'd be right on. :-D

[Q]jmh30 Wrote:
Beeeej Wrote:
I'm aware of that, and I spent more energy on worrying about it during my seven years as an undergrad than I care to remember. Try letting it go. :-{)}[/Q]
Fixed your post, because I'm a sparkly, twirly little nancy-boy, of course. Here is my handle, here is my spout! [/q]

Hey, whatever floats your boat, man.

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2005 12:41PM by Beeeej.

Date: March 13, 2005 12:44PM

[Q]jeh25 Wrote:

Out of the 20+ straight FF appearances for SU, how many were a direct result of undeserved byes?[/q]

C'mon, Syracuse plays the toughest schedule every year, or at least as tough as any other team. Out of the current top 6 (SU & Cornell will, of course, drop) Hopkins plays 8 (top-20 teams), Navy plays 6, UVA plays 7, Duke plays 8 (with 2 more games), Syracuse plays 10, and Cornell plays 7. Syracuse hasn't been given anything in lax they haven't earned.

As in any sport SOS counts a lot. If we're all bitchin next week about Cornell's seed and placement, I have a feeling there'll be plenty of conversation regarding SOS.

Now, Let's Go Red...and, yes, Clarkson's band sucked -- especially that obnoxious horn. I gotta believe even the Clarkson players hate it.

Date: March 13, 2005 01:10PM

[Q]Beeeej Wrote:

(With all due respect.)

Beeeej[/q]

Hehe...he said "moose"...

Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: March 13, 2005 02:45PM

[Q]Beeeej Wrote:

atb9 Wrote:
BCrespi Wrote:
Drunk stupid frat guys look, smell, and sound alike.[/Q]
30% of the Cornell population is greek. It's about the same at Colgate. Don't blame it on the fraternities at Colgate, nerd.[/Q]
As he clarified, he was talking about drunk stupid frat guys. And I'll back him up on this, to the point of saying that I'm a KDR, and the guys who were in KDR at Colgate when I was an undergrad were complete assholes. They came to our house, drank our beer, urinated on our house, stole some of our stuff, then got arrested in Ithaca for urinating on other people's houses. "Sacred bond" my ass.

Syracuse and RIT KDRs, however, were (and I hope still are) exceedingly cool.

Beeeej[/q]

And as of last year, the Colgate KDR is no more.

Date: March 13, 2005 05:14PM

The worst thing they did was to start playing their garbage when the PA guy was tryin to announce the other scores.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: March 13, 2005 06:42PM

[Q]Brian Deerr Wrote:
[/q]

Clarkson used to be good. From what I heard last night, they should be ashamed of how far they've fallen. I don't care if it was a thrown-together Spring-Break band, it sounded pathetic. The mooing horn was unacceptable. There was a time when some Clarkson bandie would have gone up, taken the horn away, and told the fan to leave the music to the band. What a sorry bunch of hacks.

The ranking used to be:

1t.   Clarkson
1t.   Cornell
3.    RPI
4.    Brown
5.    Harvard
6.    Colgate
7.    Vermont
8.    SLU (guy with a keyboard who had the melody wrong for #7)
N/A   Yale, Princeton, Union, Dartmouth
Vermont was a pathetic, miked, half-townie band whom we seriously outplayed in their own rink. Colgate didn't travel and were somewhat in awe of our presence. Harvard was their usual, blazer-wearing, crappy-Underbone-playin' selves. (They showed up to Placid in '96 with their trumpets and little else.) Brown skated and sounded good at home during an otherwise disappointing season for their team. RPI was noisy but unmusical.

Lake Placid '96 was a battle of the bands, and I can guarantee it wasn't between Harvard and Vermont. After years of subpar performance, our band was drilled into shape by a certain couple of phenom Fall conductors. (My vision at the time was to move the band back towards the sound and playlist of the late 80s and early 90s, which I associated with going to a game as a townie kid.) We had absolutely *drilled* In the Stone, Soul Man, and other classics that had fallen out of the folders. No band in the ECAC ever has had, or will have, something that compares to Pinball Wizard. Both the trumpets and trombones of our band were at their local maximums, the tubas were solid even after some losses to graduation, the percussion was strong-willed but sometimes brilliant, and the woodwinds, well... they were there. (Anyone who tells you that a pep band is much more than a brass band with percussion is fooling himself. Sorry woodwinds--I'm just being honest. We still love each and every one of you, and you're all very important for "social" reasons...)

Clarkson had been pretty dominant since the early 90s, when our team (and band) fell on some hard times. The trumpets, percussion, and (damn) electric bass of the Clarkson band were something to be reckoned with. The battle at Placid went back and forth, back and forth, eventually coming down to Pinball as our response to their Russian Sailors Dance, an arrangment that probably couldn't even be attempted by their current band. Anyone who was there and didn't hear the battle through Carnellian-hued glasses would call it a tie. Thankfully, the result on the ice was quite different.

And the Clarkson band was great to party with at the time. Oh, I have stories...

After those years, however, something happened to the Clarkson band, probably having to do with Cheel's poor acoustics and antiseptic nature, and they became terminally un-fun. As far as our band goes, the playlist has mutated from '97 and, I think, for the better. (Though it certainly screws me up when I sit in and expect to just play all the stuff I memorized.) The band is still a bunch of "Hooligans with Horns," and I, for one, am very proud of the hand I had in creating that reputation.

Since '96-'97, the Cornell Pep Band has been the best ECAC band, hands down. Long may we reign.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2005 06:45PM by Scersk '97.

Posted by: daredevilcu (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2005 06:45PM

Were you guys even at the same game we were? When a group of fans/band members/alums try to put something together OVER SPRING BREAK of course we aren't going to be as good. We knew it, you knew it, nobody's denying that we weren't up to our usual standards. Playing after puck drop was a problem by BOTH bands and if you didn't notice, you obviously weren't paying attention.

As for attractive girls at Cornell, I pray to God you aren't talking about the girls in the front of secton A Saturday night. If someone from Clarkson calls a girl ugly... it HAS to be bad. And they were UGLY.

Don't like it when we play our songs? Good. We're not there to make you happy, we're there to support our hockey team, and if we piss you guys off, good, makes it more fun for me. I seriously haven't encountered more poor sportsmanship than I did at that arena after Saturday's game. What kind of idiots taunt a Clarkson fan while he's trying to take a leak? That's just horrible -- not to mention 12-year-olds throwing water and crap at us and the arena staff doing nothing, along with all the gloating fans walking by us and reminding us that we lost. I'm not saying we wouldn't have done it had we won the series, but it wouldn't have been to that extent. Mostly because the poor sports in the Lynah crowd would've threatened us with violence (not that they weren't already)and might have actually followed through.

Date: March 13, 2005 07:03PM

[Q]daredevilcu Wrote:
Don't like it when we play our songs? Good. We're not there to make you happy, we're there to support our hockey team, and if we piss you guys off, good, makes it more fun for me.[/q]
I agree. As a counterpoint, though, I love it when fans from opposing teams come by and compliment the Cornell pepband on our playing. We've gotten that a lot this semester.

[q]I seriously haven't encountered more poor sportsmanship than I did at that arena after Saturday's game. What kind of idiots taunt a Clarkson fan while he's trying to take a leak? That's just horrible -- not to mention 12-year-olds throwing water and crap at us and the arena staff doing nothing, along with all the gloating fans walking by us and reminding us that we lost. I'm not saying we wouldn't have done it had we won the series, but it wouldn't have been to that extent. Mostly because the poor sports in the Lynah crowd would've threatened us with violence (not that they weren't already)and might have actually followed through.[/q]
That's rotten. I'm always pleased and often a little surprised by how helpful and responsive the rink staff at other venues is to me and our band (okay, the Harvard rink staff was dumb, but they did try to fix their mistakes), so it sucks that our staff doesn't treat you guys as well as we get treated elsewhere.

[q]Were you guys even at the same game we were? When a group of fans/band members/alums try to put something together OVER SPRING BREAK of course we aren't going to be as good. We knew it, you knew it, nobody's denying that we weren't up to our usual standards.[/q]
Seems to me I've got a full, well-balanced roster of regulars ready to go for the roadtrips to Albany and the NCAA regionals, which fall on the weekends of our spring break. :-D

Date: March 13, 2005 07:12PM

[Q]daredevilcu Wrote:

Were you guys even at the same game we were? When a group of fans/band members/alums try to put something together OVER SPRING BREAK of course we aren't going to be as good. We knew it, you knew it, nobody's denying that we weren't up to our usual standards. Playing after puck drop was a problem by BOTH bands and if you didn't notice, you obviously weren't paying attention.[/q]

I was paying attention, and I'm not just seeing through red-tinted glasses here (or whatever the audial equivalent would be). I've also paid attention to other bands that have come to Lynah over the past few years. By far, this weekend's Clarkson band committed the worst violations of the no-play-during-play rule that I have ever seen/heard.

[q]As for attractive girls at Cornell, I pray to God you aren't talking about the girls in the front of secton A Saturday night. If someone from Clarkson calls a girl ugly... it HAS to be bad. And they were UGLY.[/q]

I can't account for the girls of whom you speak, since I couldn't see them from section E. It's entirely possible they weren't pretty. But Cornell has some pretty nice quality women for the most part. Not the hottest I've seen overall, but still pretty good on the whole.

[q]Don't like it when we play our songs? Good. We're not there to make you happy, we're there to support our hockey team, and if we piss you guys off, good, makes it more fun for me. I seriously haven't encountered more poor sportsmanship than I did at that arena after Saturday's game. What kind of idiots taunt a Clarkson fan while he's trying to take a leak? That's just horrible -- not to mention 12-year-olds throwing water and crap at us and the arena staff doing nothing, along with all the gloating fans walking by us and reminding us that we lost. I'm not saying we wouldn't have done it had we won the series, but it wouldn't have been to that extent. Mostly because the poor sports in the Lynah crowd would've threatened us with violence (not that they weren't already)and might have actually followed through.[/q]

I apologize for those rowdy fans. I assure you, those people are NOT representative of true members of the Lynah Faithful.

Posted by: Bryan '06 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 13, 2005 08:55PM

[Q] The battle at Placid went back and forth, back and forth, eventually coming down to Pinball as our response to their Russian Sailors Dance, an arrangment that probably couldn't even be attempted by their current band.[/Q]

Sadly, Scersk, it was attempted by the Clarkson Band this weekend. And as you may have guessed, we didn't exactly need Pinball wizard to mount an approriate response to it.

That said, I am still glad that they brought a "band" this weekend...it definitely makes the crowd more "electric" than a game without an opposing band. Funny how bad music helps to get the crowd into the game better than good music does...

Posted by: "D-----bag" with the HORN (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 13, 2005 09:02PM

Some random responses:

Gee, I wonder why it is that so many of you seem to know SO MUCH about raping cows? ;-)

As for the quality of the music the past two nights, it certainly wasn't what it normally would be. I don't know why Clarkson schedules spring break 3 or 4 weeks earlier than they used to back in my day, but it makes it tough to get a band with decent instrumentation. Many of us alumni (at least half of the band) only play once or twice a year. I'll be the first to admit I am far from the musician I used to be. The object of our being there, though, was not to win a band competition, but simply to be a strong presence for our team and their fans. When you are a very small group among a huge, boisterous crowd in the opponent's building, you do whatever it takes to be heard. Based on the comments we received from fellow Clarkson fans, from our hockey players, and certainly from the many posts on this thread, I say, "Mission accomplished." :-D

I agree with a previous post that it was a shame to see such poor sportsmanship directed toward us after the game. I don't mind a little good-natured ribbing, but so man of your "fans" were downright nasty with their taunting comments, not to mention the verbal threats and the snowballs. What it all boils down to is that the #1 team in the league beat the #9 team. BFD! You were SUPPOSED TO do just that! I know many of those people were probably relieved that history didn't repeat itself this year. OT games can usually go either way, and a Clarkson win would have made for a very interesting game 3. But in spite of that, there is no excuse for some of the behavior. That said, it is only fair that I acknowledge those who were decent to us. Some people offered words of encouragement for our future or apology for their own fans who lacked class. To those people, I say thank you.

Even though we went home without a W, I was glad I made the trip. I will definitely be back to annoy the masses... B-]

Posted by: RichS (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 13, 2005 09:10PM

[Q]Beeeej Wrote:

(With all due respect.)

Beeeej[/q]

So that's where YOU went after last year's QF series, eh?

:-D

Posted by: j (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2005 09:42PM

hey clarkson people -- get your own forum.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 13, 2005 09:44PM

[Q]j Wrote:

hey clarkson people -- get your own forum.[/q]

Like this one, j? rolleyes

[www.goldenknightshockey.com]

Posted by: jeh25 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 13, 2005 10:14PM

I know engineers try to avoid the evil Daystar (...it burns...it burns) but try walking around the ag quad in may (hmmmm....tank tops) or a gorge in august (hmmmm....bikinis).

Or maybe they've gotten uglier in the last 5 years... but between my wife and our other XX friends, they were always plenty of good looking women about.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2005 10:18PM by jeh25.

Date: March 13, 2005 10:18PM

The Arts Quad from May to September is nice too, and fairly well populated.

Date: March 13, 2005 10:30PM

[Q]Will Wrote:

I apologize for those rowdy fans. I assure you, those people are NOT representative of true members of the Lynah Faithful.[/q]

That's nice of you to apologize, but as someone who sits in section N I can tell you that I was apalled at the gutter mouths in Clarkson jerseys and hats we had to endure. It's nice to know that Clarkson folks have a deep appreciation of the the F word. It didn't seem to matter that there were some kids sitting around them (not that it should be any different if it were only adults). It didn't seem to matter to them that we had to spend more time in the beginning of the game trying to get them to clean up their language than we got to spend watching our own team in our own building. It also didn't seem to matter to the Clarkson folks that some jackass keep blowing that obnoxious horn -- which does not qualify as an instrument and can't possibly be a part of the pep band. I think it's great that the opposing band comes to Lynah and shows support for their team, regardless of whether they suck or not. I thought they showed poor taste & sportsmanship throughout Friday night's game; but I thought that was insignificant to the poor taste and lack of decency shown by many of the Clarkson fans. That being said, I doubt these few ignorant, and probably drunken, knights truly represent the majority of Clarkson fans. Or do they?

Lastly, as someone who spent some undergrad time at Arizona State and San Diego State I can tell you that Cornell women are as beautiful as they come and, yes, maybe that has something to do with the fact that they're among the most brilliant in the country.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2005 10:37PM

I suggest we all quit, and those of us who are moving on can now find ways to dump on UVM. In fact, since they have chosen to leave the ECACHL, maybe all of us can unite and dump on them.:-D

Date: March 13, 2005 11:14PM

[Q]Jim Hyla Wrote:

I suggest we all quit, and those of us who are moving on can now find ways to dump on UVM. In fact, since they have chosen to leave the ECACHL, maybe all of us can unite and dump on them.[/q]

Time to make (recreate?) those "Out of Your League" signs.

Date: March 13, 2005 11:36PM

[Q]Jim Hyla Wrote:

I suggest we all quit, and those of us who are moving on can now find ways to dump on UVM. In fact, since they have chosen to leave the ECACHL, maybe all of us can unite and dump on them.[/q]

Sage advice. I must remember, please don't feed the animals.

Date: March 14, 2005 12:12AM

[Q]Scersk '97 Wrote:

The ranking used to be:

1t. Clarkson
1t. Cornell
3. RPI
4. Brown
5. Harvard
6. Colgate
7. Vermont
8. SLU (guy with a keyboard who had the melody wrong for #7)
N/A Yale, Princeton, Union, Dartmouth[/q]

The Yale band has really impressed me of late, both in person in the 2002 quarterfinals and by reputation. How can you not respect a band that plays "Uncle Fucka"?

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: March 14, 2005 12:18AM

Yale's marching band had a good sound back then, but their band was hockey MIA as far as I remember. 98 and 99 seemed to energize their fan base. From what I heard from the @ Yale game this year, though, it seems like their band and fan base might even be able to make it through a horrible year like this one.

Date: March 14, 2005 08:23AM

[Q]RichS Wrote:
Beeeej Wrote:

(With all due respect.)

Beeeej[/Q]
So that's where YOU went after last year's QF series, eh?[/q]

Well, sure. Save up enough Rectum Receipts, your sixth moose is free!

Beeeej

P.S. Seriously, Rich - "Ha, ha - you lost last year!"? Ask me if I care. :-}

- Steve Worona

Posted by: RichS (---.wayneschools.com)
Date: March 14, 2005 11:22AM

Seriously Beej, I do not care if you don't care. :-}

Geeze, you expected me to pass up that fastball right down the middle? You're just loving dishing it out and now you have trouble taking it.

Oh right...last year never happened, I forgot. rolleyes

Posted by: ben03 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2005 11:24AM

rich, now i'm starting to wonder if your face really looks like that allllllllllll the time. you might want to go get that checked out or something.

Re: thanks
Posted by: RichS (---.wayneschools.com)
Date: March 14, 2005 12:20PM

Thanks ben, I appreciate your concern, I'll get right on it. rolleyes

Date: March 14, 2005 05:39PM

Not having the least bit of trouble taking it. As soon as someone starts dishing it out in any way worth noticing, I'll take it. rolleyes

Beeeej

P.S. Seriously, I meant it when I said "all due respect." I appreciate having had you guys around this board the last week or two, it's been entertaining, educational, and good for perspective.

- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2005 05:40PM by Beeeej.

Date: March 14, 2005 08:49PM

[Q]Beeeej Wrote:

Not having the least bit of trouble taking it. As soon as someone starts dishing it out in any way worth noticing, I'll take it.

Beeeej

P.S. Seriously, I meant it when I said "all due respect." I appreciate having had you guys around this board the last week or two, it's been entertaining, educational, and good for perspective.[/q]

hey, does this mean I can come back?

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2005 09:31PM

yes drew you are welcome, as all are. Just understand that a certian amount of ribbing is involved

Date: March 14, 2005 09:35PM

Back from Moose Rectum? Sure!

Seriously - as far as I'm concerned, Clarkson people are always welcome when they have something to contribute.

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Posted by: daredevilcu (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2005 02:44AM

We have one, it's just too fun posting on here and watching all of you get mad because of a stupid internet forum post.

Date: March 15, 2005 02:51AM

Yeah, if only we were as mature as the Clarkson University student body. screwy

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: March 15, 2005 06:59AM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:
The Yale band has really impressed me of late, both in person in the 2002 quarterfinals and by reputation. How can you not respect a band that plays "Uncle Fucka"?[/q]

Harvard plays U.F. (Maybe both do.)

Clarkson's band wasn't there -- a handful of out of tune, out of sync instruments aren't a "band." When they really are there, they sound great and contribute to the environment.

However, somebody has to tell those dumbasses not to play over the out-of-town scores. They may not care, but fans of a team that is moving on do.

Posted by: Drew (199.43.32.---)
Date: March 15, 2005 08:20AM

[Q]Beeeej Wrote:

Back from Moose Rectum? Sure!

Seriously - as far as I'm concerned, Clarkson people are always welcome when they have something to contribute.

Beeeej[/q]

Yes Beej, Back from the rectum....place was empty.....except for a lot of Clarkson and SLU(t) people.....the guy told me to make reservations for next Sunday though, he was expecting alot of Cornell people :-O ;-)

Date: March 15, 2005 09:32AM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:

The Yale band has really impressed me of late, both in person in the 2002 quarterfinals and by reputation. How can you not respect a band that plays "Uncle Fucka"?[/q]

On a related note, I think our band has learned to play "Kyle's Mom Is a Bitch". :-D

Date: March 15, 2005 08:11PM

[Q]"D-----bag" with the HORN Wrote:

Some random responses:

Gee, I wonder why it is that so many of you seem to know SO MUCH about raping cows?

As for the quality of the music the past two nights, it certainly wasn't what it normally would be. I don't know why Clarkson schedules spring break 3 or 4 weeks earlier than they used to back in my day, but it makes it tough to get a band with decent instrumentation. Many of us alumni (at least half of the band) only play once or twice a year. I'll be the first to admit I am far from the musician I used to be. The object of our being there, though, was not to win a band competition, but simply to be a strong presence for our team and their fans. When you are a very small group among a huge, boisterous crowd in the opponent's building, you do whatever it takes to be heard. Based on the comments we received from fellow Clarkson fans, from our hockey players, and certainly from the many posts on this thread, I say, "Mission accomplished."

I agree with a previous post that it was a shame to see such poor sportsmanship directed toward us after the game. I don't mind a little good-natured ribbing, but so man of your "fans" were downright nasty with their taunting comments, not to mention the verbal threats and the snowballs. What it all boils down to is that the #1 team in the league beat the #9 team. BFD! You were SUPPOSED TO do just that! I know many of those people were probably relieved that history didn't repeat itself this year. OT games can usually go either way, and a Clarkson win would have made for a very interesting game 3. But in spite of that, there is no excuse for some of the behavior. That said, it is only fair that I acknowledge those who were decent to us. Some people offered words of encouragement for our future or apology for their own fans who lacked class. To those people, I say thank you.

Even though we went home without a W, I was glad I made the trip. I will definitely be back to annoy the masses... [/q]

I think you did an outstanding job, let me know when you get the carnegie hall gig.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2005 08:12PM by Drew.

Posted by: RichS (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 15, 2005 09:28PM

[Q]Beeeej Wrote:

Not having the least bit of trouble taking it. As soon as someone starts dishing it out in any way worth noticing, I'll take it.

q]

And you guys say I'm haughty? lol....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login