Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell-Clarkson postgame thread

Posted by billhoward 
Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Cornell-Clarkson postgame thread
Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 12, 2005 09:58PM

(Suggest this thread for postgame comments but keep out of town scores on the adjacent thread)

Almost deja vu all over again in 2005 but this is definitely a better team.

Clarkson did well to hang in there. It didn't degrade into a slugfest in the third period (looked as if it might based on the second period).

24 straight penalty kills.

Cornell may have the nation's #1 power play but that's on average over the course of the season. Anybody else worried about what happens when we run up against another good PK team?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2005 08:11PM by billhoward.

Re: Cornell-Clarkson postgame thread (no scores updates)
Posted by: Drew (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 12, 2005 10:11PM

Best of luck to you fellas........I will keep posting......staying with the tradition of leaving it all in the rink and remaining a gentleman when the game is over.
Cheers, boys!
Do us proud, ECAC !
Drew

Posted by: Ken71 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2005 10:29PM

Some random thoughts from a weary and hoarse fan:

Thank you, Dave McKee, pipes, and crossbar for keeping us in the game.

Thank you, Topher Scott for the VERY big goal and for salvaging the evening.

NO thanks to Peter Feola whose calls seem truly random or maybe based in a fantasy I certainly don't understand. Are there ANY good officials in the East?

While we dominated play almost completely Friday night, we certainly had our troubles tonight. I think Clarkson stepped things up a notch, and our usually crisp passing and adept stock-handling were both off a lot tonight. We'll need to get more of our game together for more of the time to do well in Albany.

Still, an undefeated season in Lynah is a fabulous gift to those of us who fill the stands, and I thank everyone in the hockey program for a job very well done.

GO RED!

Ken '71

Posted by: calgARI '07 (205.232.75.---)
Date: March 12, 2005 10:35PM

Didn't play well tonight, but they found a way to win, and considering winning is the only important thing in the playoffs, I'll take it. Conversely, I thought Clarkson played extremely extremely well - very possibly their best game of the season (although I haven't seen them much obviously). Anyways, that was the loudest I have heard Lynah in my lifetime certainly.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.mis.prserv.net)
Date: March 12, 2005 10:44PM

Thanks, Drew. Your boys gave us a hell of a game. Let's hope the Red use it as a wake up call for Albany.

God bless Dave McKee.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2005 10:46PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:
24 straight penalty kills. [/q]More directed at Jason Weinstein than at you, but....

Stop SAYING that! Are you TRYING to jinx them? :-(

Posted by: CM cWo 44 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2005 10:53PM

I think Topher Scott is the most excitable, child-like player I have ever seen (with no elusion to his hight). Whenever his line scores he shows far more emotion than any other player, and from interviews he seems to be very appreciative of the Lynah crowd. It's really nice to see, and why he is a fan favorite (along with the novelty of his size).

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2005 11:09PM

*swallows red pride for one minute*

I would just like to say that I thought it was a nice gesture for the Clarkson team to salute thier fans after the game. I really showed that maybe those goons have collective heart. But in all seriousness, the clarkson fans were good fans, and they deserved a salute.

On another note, I thought Cornell was horrible tonight. They did not play well. but they did get a win and that is what good teams do. Thanks for a great home season guys!

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)

Some thoughts, likely ones many others have already had:

- Ryan O'Byrne. What. The. Fuck. I'm sorry, but if tonight doesn't prove he's a liability simply because half the time he's horrid (though to be fair, the other half he's pretty solid), I don't know what will. We can't get Pokulok back quick enough. I don't know if O'Byrne would be the one bumped from the lineup, but I hope he is.

- Clarkson did their usual amount of gooning (which is to say, quite a bit), but they still played a hell of a game tonight. Their second goal was an excellent shot. I expect them to be better next year, probably somewhere around 5 or 6 in the RS.

- Topher Scott, the unlikely hero! Okay, maybe not that unlikely, but given that he's the smallest guy on a team of giants, I'm overjoyed to see him score the gamewinner.

- Both McKee and Traylen played an excellent game tonight. Traylen can only get better and is bound to have one hell of a senior year.

- Cheers to the players for welcoming us onto the ice. Even if they have done it four out of the previous five seasons, it's still nice to see.

- Jeers to David Cayer for attempting to stick it to the Faithful after his goal. Way to go, douchebag, you just proved that we can get inside your head! Also jeers to Matt Curley for doing much the same, though without a goal to his credit.

- As that one townie sign said, C U in Albany! :-D

Posted by: Drew042 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)

-I thought that Hynes, Pegs and Scott were consistenly the best players on the ice. Whenever one of them touched the puck they tried to make things happen more than the rest of the team. O'Bryne and Krantz I thought were the worst of our players. Maybe this will teach O'Byrne to stop bringing the puck in front of the net like that!!! I thought that Krantz was caught out of position more than usual.
-It was great to see Topher score the game winning goal after being ridden by the Clarkson fans all night and being ridden by anyone in a Clarkson jersey for the entire weekend.
-And a special thanks to whomever decided to bring the lady over in N (sorry I don't know her name) over to B to cheer during overtime. It was great for some of us to see who have been at games watching her for several years.
-See everyone in Albany...

Date: March 12, 2005 11:21PM

[Q]Will Wrote:

Some thoughts, likely ones many others have already had:

- Ryan O'Byrne. What. The. Fuck. I'm sorry, but if tonight doesn't prove he's a liability simply because half the time he's horrid (though to be fair, the other half he's pretty solid), I don't know what will. We can't get Pokulok back quick enough. I don't know if O'Byrne would be the one bumped from the lineup, but I hope he is.

- Clarkson did their usual amount of gooning (which is to say, quite a bit), but they still played a hell of a game tonight. Their second goal was an excellent shot. I expect them to be better next year, probably somewhere around 5 or 6 in the RS.

- Topher Scott, the unlikely hero! Okay, maybe not that unlikely, but given that he's the smallest guy on a team of giants, I'm overjoyed to see him score the gamewinner.

- Both McKee and Traylen played an excellent game tonight. Traylen can only get better and is bound to have one hell of a senior year.

- Cheers to the players for welcoming us onto the ice. Even if they have done it four out of the previous five seasons, it's still nice to see.

- Jeers to David Cayer for attempting to stick it to the Faithful after his goal. Way to go, douchebag, you just proved that we can get inside your head! Also jeers to Matt Curley for doing much the same, though without a goal to his credit.

- As that one townie sign said, C U in Albany![/q]

Absolutely no chance does O'Byrne get bumped from the lineup. He has led the team in ice time several times this season proving that the coaching staff loves him. I can see where you are coming from but he isn't as bad as you are saying. Considering how much ice time he gets, I think he does pretty well. I didn't think he played badly tonight at all although he definitely has his moments.

Date: March 12, 2005 11:23PM

[Q]Drew042 Wrote:

-I thought that Hynes, Pegs and Scott were consistenly the best players on the ice. Whenever one of them touched the puck they tried to make things happen more than the rest of the team. O'Bryne and Krantz I thought were the worst of our players. Maybe this will teach O'Byrne to stop bringing the puck in front of the net like that!!! I thought that Krantz was caught out of position more than usual.
-It was great to see Topher score the game winning goal after being ridden by the Clarkson fans all night and being ridden by anyone in a Clarkson jersey for the entire weekend.
-And a special thanks to whomever decided to bring the lady over in N (sorry I don't know her name) over to B to cheer during overtime. It was great for some of us to see who have been at games watching her for several years.
-See everyone in Albany...[/q]

You can see my O'Byrne comments about. Regarding Krantz, I thought he sort of had a weird game in that he was either making amazing plays or brutal ones. The pinch in ot that led to the 2-on-1 was ridiculous and I was surprised that he got another shift after that. The guy has the hardest shot on the team and has outstanding ability to rush the puck as he displayed a couple times tonight, going end to end. Bottom line is he's a freshman and they all make mistakes.

Posted by: Drew042 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2005 11:29PM

-Yeah, I agree that O'Bryne can be decent at times, but still he gives me ulcers when he handles the puck at times behind the net...and then other times he can bring it out and beat the other team to the other end of the ice.
-I also thought the McKee was a little shaky in the first period (I wonder how much that first goal got under his skin). He definetly got better by the end of the game and played his usual stellar self in the 3rd period and overtime.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2005 12:06AM

1. We won while we played a terrible game. That says something.
2. Clarkson played it's usual dirty game. I hope Roll can change things over time; I look forward to the games of old. I'm glad, in some ways, that it was as close as it was. (Yeah right) Well, it did keep the goon squad in check late in the game.
3. McKee did not have his best game, but neither did anyone else. Many more rebounds than I remember. However he got much better as the game went on, so that speaks well.
4. We'll have a difficult time in Albany, regardless of who we play. We've won alot of close games, so you never know how far we can go. Remember how close our wins were 2 years ago. We could easily have lost the ECAC and not gone to the Frozen Four.
5. Being home reading the Forum, and watching the SU-G'town Lax game on CSTV, on my Apple-Priceless. I'll post it on the Analog to Digital Converter thread that I started in Feb., but Age, thanks for the input on the Formac converter. It's wonderful, both for watching TV on the Mac, and for converting my analog tapes to the Mac and DVDs. THANKS.
6. SU just tied it up. 6-6

Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2005 12:22AM

just got confirmation from a group of female friends at JO's...the bars are bumping... :`(

Posted by: Larry72 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2005 12:31AM

CalgAri:

You don't remember...you weren't around yet...in 1979, Cornell 6- Providence 5 OT win coming from a 1-5 deficit was probably one of the loudest I've ever heard Lynah. That was when the fans coming onto the ice after the game was born. Also the Harvard game in which a young Mike Schafer broke the stick over his head before the game and then CU came back to win that game. Tonite was also pretty special. This team seems to be able to find a way to win. Really nice to see.

Larry '72

Posted by: schoaff (---.atl.megapath.net)
Date: March 13, 2005 12:33AM

Strange request but could someone describe the winning goal? I was just listening to the radio feed and it wasn't described very well. On the radio it sounded like Clarkson was breaking up a rush when all of a sudden people started cheering ;-). Curious what happened.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2005 12:37AM

I've got a pretty good, prety objective, measure of how loud Lynah is.

I sit in Section C, near D, in the 4th row.

When we score most goals, by the time the band is ending "Davy" I can hear it, so I know when to start counting, etc.

After some big goals, it is almost impossible to hear the band clearly, over the crowd, and I really have to strain just to pick up a couple of notes, so I know when to start counting.

After our second goal tonight, I couldn't hear the band at all. Not a note. I actually think they may have played Davy twice after that goal, and if they did, I caught the tail end of the second one, but I'm not even sure of that.

That's how loud Lynah was tonight.
Andy W.

Date: March 13, 2005 12:40AM

And what about after the third goal? :-D

Date: March 13, 2005 12:41AM

[Q]schoaff Wrote:

Strange request but could someone describe the winning goal? I was just listening to the radio feed and it wasn't described very well. On the radio it sounded like Clarkson was breaking up a rush when all of a sudden people started cheering . Curious what happened.[/q]

I could be wrong, as I was at the wrong end of the rink, but as I recall...

A pass came out to Scott, who was at the left point, from near the corner. Scott one-timed it, and beat Traylen high on the glove side.

At least that's what it looked like from about 130 feet away.
Andy W.

Re: USCHO Recap
Date: March 13, 2005 12:45AM

[www.uscho.com]

Some great quotes, stats, and injury info! Nice work, Avash!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2005 01:05AM by atb9.

Posted by: Pace (209.2.88.---)
Date: March 13, 2005 01:11AM

[q]
"They got lucky," said a frustrated Latulippe. "We outplayed them all game long. They just got a bounce. They just got lucky tonight, and I think they know it too."[/q]

This from the guy who was outright handed a goal tonight?! That's some nerve! What a sore loser...

Posted by: mjh89 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 13, 2005 01:24AM

1.) Doug Krantz had an absolutely awful game. I couldn't believe he kept getting back on the ice. Everytime he got the puck he was fumbling with it, made some brutal passes, was out of position regularly. I actually thought he was shaky with the puck last night too, maybe just Freshman jitters.
2.) I thought McKee was bad tonight. Lots of rebounds, and the second goal should have been stopped.
3.) Thank god Schafer put the Moulson-Bitz-Hynes line together. Completely dominant.
4.) Jay Latulippe is a dirtbag.

Posted by: Pace (209.2.88.---)
Date: March 13, 2005 01:29AM

[Q]mjh89 Wrote:

1.) Doug Krantz had an absolutely awful game. I couldn't believe he kept getting back on the ice. Everytime he got the puck he was fumbling with it, made some brutal passes, was out of position regularly. I actually thought he was shaky with the puck last night too, maybe just Freshman jitters.
2.) I thought McKee was bad tonight. Lots of rebounds, and the second goal should have been stopped.
3.) Thank god Schafer put the Moulson-Bitz-Hynes line together. Completely dominant.
4.) Jay Latulippe is a dirtbag.[/q]

Amen to point no. 4.

But I have to disagree on no. 2. I think the first goal really shook him up. It would anyone. It could only have been worse if O'Byrne scored it himself and then punched McKee in the face. I mean seriously, someone give O'Byrne an assist on that one... The second goal was a result of a good breakaway and a good shot. Does McKee usually stop shots like that? Yes. But I think he was still very shaken up. I'm inclined to give him mad props for getting his shit together between 1st and 2nd, and playing better and better as the game went on. After all, he made some absolutely clutch saves in OT. Without them, Topher would have never had the chance to score that goal.

Yey McKee!

Date: March 13, 2005 01:35AM

[Q]mjh89 Wrote:
2.) I thought McKee was bad tonight. Lots of rebounds, and the second goal should have been stopped.[/q]

You must be kidding. Were we watching the same game?

Aside from the fact that McKee came up big when he absolutely needed to, late in the third period, and through much of the OT, you thought he should have stopped the second goal? It was a 1 on none, and the guy took a slap shot from around 15-20 feet out, that beat McKee cleanly on the glove side. Had he made the stop, it would have been a spectacular save...a highlight reel save. To say he should have stopped it is absolutely ludicrous. We've come to expect a lot from McKee, but if we start expecting him to make saves on shots like that routinely we are just expecting too much.
Andy W.

Posted by: mjh89 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 13, 2005 01:45AM

I think McKee's a great goalie, but he should have stopped the second goal. A completely unscreened slap shot from the top of the circle beating him that cleanly? It wasn't like it was a perfect shot either, I didn't hear it ring off the post and in. And besides that I was talking more about his rebounds that seemed to be going every which way. Besides, everybody says McKee played amazingly every game, he makes a routine glove save and everybody in lynah starts the we're not worthy thing. He didn't have a good game tonight.

Posted by: aznxjz (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2005 03:11AM

Winning Goal... Puck was poked out to Topher on the left side, one-timed just over the shoulder of Traylen. It wasn't that hard of a shot, but a good one nonetheless.

McKee played well tonight, but his rebounds were a bit more than we're used to. Another point was that the defense seemed to be a little off tonight (like the second goal). Without them clearing the puck after rebounds it seemed like the puck was 5 feet in front of McKee on more than one occasion (especially around the 6 min mark of OT)

Credit to Clarkson for playing hard. I think the game was pretty even, with each team dominating for stretches at a time. I agree that we did get luck on some plays where the puck was just sitting in front of McKee, but same with Traylen.

I thought Pegs played great tonight. He pushed the puck a lot and had a couple chances to attack the net. Hynes.....I think he had 3 penalties (?). I was a bit frustrated by that (but more at Feola) but oh well.

Tonight was the loudest I've heard Lynah in my time here. The team was really into it, motioning the fans to get louder. They wanted the win, the fans wanted it. Thanks to the team for delivering and keeping us unbeaten at lynah this season.

Posted by: CM cWo 44 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 13, 2005 03:15AM

I don't know what Ari's cookin up, but I think LaTullippe (spell?), should get one of the three stars of the weekend, if not two. He was a travesty for his team with all those stupid penalties. Nice way to end a career.

Date: March 13, 2005 03:16AM

[Q]mjh89 Wrote:

I think McKee's a great goalie, but he should have stopped the second goal. A completely unscreened slap shot from the top of the circle beating him that cleanly? It wasn't like it was a perfect shot either, I didn't hear it ring off the post and in. And besides that I was talking more about his rebounds that seemed to be going every which way. Besides, everybody says McKee played amazingly every game, he makes a routine glove save and everybody in lynah starts the we're not worthy thing. He didn't have a good game tonight.[/q]

I'm gonna partially agree with you here. I thought he was really really shaky in the first period. Clarkson was throwing the puck at the net a lot more and he seemed uncomfortable handling a lot. First goal was definitely in his head. I konw McKee isn't an aggressive goalie, but he needed to come out a bit to cut off the angle on that second goal. He should not have let it in. I will say that I thought he got better as the game went along making big saves in the second and third periods as well as overtime. He definitely settled down as the team did after the first period was fine after that. McKee isn't going to be superhuman every night but he seems to be most nights. Tonight just wasn't one of them.

Date: March 13, 2005 03:20AM

[Q]aznxjz Wrote:

Winning Goal... Puck was poked out to Topher on the left side, one-timed just over the shoulder of Traylen. It wasn't that hard of a shot, but a good one nonetheless.

McKee played well tonight, but his rebounds were a bit more than we're used to. Another point was that the defense seemed to be a little off tonight (like the second goal). Without them clearing the puck after rebounds it seemed like the puck was 5 feet in front of McKee on more than one occasion (especially around the 6 min mark of OT)

Credit to Clarkson for playing hard. I think the game was pretty even, with each team dominating for stretches at a time. I agree that we did get luck on some plays where the puck was just sitting in front of McKee, but same with Traylen.

I thought Pegs played great tonight. He pushed the puck a lot and had a couple chances to attack the net. Hynes.....I think he had 3 penalties (?). I was a bit frustrated by that (but more at Feola) but oh well.

Tonight was the loudest I've heard Lynah in my time here. The team was really into it, motioning the fans to get louder. They wanted the win, the fans wanted it. Thanks to the team for delivering and keeping us unbeaten at lynah this season.[/q]

Great point about the defense. They struggled especially in the first period. And we're talking about even Downs and Cook who never seem to make mistakes. They were on edge after the early goal but they came out of it eventually. Hynes did have three penalties, but I thought he was Cornell's best player this weekend. The style he plays and attitude he brings means he's going to get penalties. Definitely give credit to Clarkson for how they played tonight. They played very hard and were probably the better team, but they're finished and it's outstanding that Cornell was able to put them away.

Date: March 13, 2005 08:13AM

[Q]Jeff Hopkins '82 Wrote:

Thanks, Drew. Your boys gave us a hell of a game. Let's hope the Red use it as a wake up call for Albany.

God bless Dave McKee.[/q]

I think Mckee won the game for you.......and I love topher scott's energy.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2005 08:43AM

[q]"They got lucky," said a frustrated Latulippe. "We outplayed them all game long. They just got a bounce. They just got lucky tonight, and I think they know it too."[/q]

laugh

We bid you adieu, Jay.

Posted by: Robb (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 13, 2005 09:59AM

[Q]"They got lucky," said a frustrated Latulippe. "We outplayed them all game long. They just got a bounce. They just got lucky tonight, and I think they know it too."[/Q]

asshole::flipb::

Posted by: jy3 (---.buff.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 13, 2005 10:17AM

well, what a game to drive 3 hrs to after an overnight call - i slept on the way. driving back was easy. not a bad trip from buffalo to ithaca. a few points:

1. hats off to clarkson for playing a solid game. there were stretches of the game where they had hold and control of play in the offensive zone but most of their success last night came from taking advantage of cornell miscues, and there were many. the 1st goal was pretty bad. o'byrne had the puck behind the net and saw the clarkson player coming (latullipe i think). he went to deek right and shovel the puck left except on his deek right he lost the puck and it went thru mckee into the 5 hole and in front of the net -> tap in goal. rule #1 in defense, when it doubt dump the puck away from the net :)
2. the second goal dave let in was a GREAT shot. all he was given was upper 90 far post and that is exactly where he put it. inbelievable shot.
3. about mckee not seeming to play well, he seemed a little sloppy on controlling rebounds at time but he made some crazy saves. especially in the 3rd when clarkson turned up the heat. he has really impressed me on how much better he has gotten and i was the one telling everyone we would be fine in between the goal posts after lenny left :) he is SUCH a solid goalie.
4. the team played well at the end of the second and overall the 3rd period was played well by both teams. it takes heart to come back from spotting the team a goal to win in OT. great character builder game and it was a war on the ice. clarkson should take pride in that.
5. wish i could be in albany :) LGR!

Date: March 13, 2005 10:32AM

Speaking of players trying to cheat in a little, or trying to launch a man-short breakaway: This week's or last week's Sports Illustrated says the basketball players with the highest steals averages often get there by taking too many chances and burning their teams.

Date: March 13, 2005 10:43AM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

Speaking of players trying to cheat in a little, or trying to launch a man-short breakaway: This week's or last week's Sports Illustrated says the basketball players with the highest steals averages often get there by taking too many chances and burning their teams. [/q]

My old coach used to say "If you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'."

Posted by: Pace (---.library.cornell.edu)
Date: March 13, 2005 10:45AM

[Q]Drew Wrote:

billhoward Wrote:

Speaking of players trying to cheat in a little, or trying to launch a man-short breakaway: This week's or last week's Sports Illustrated says the basketball players with the highest steals averages often get there by taking too many chances and burning their teams. [/Q]
My old coach used to say "If you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'."
[/q]

Somehow I feel that's what Roll tells his players too...

Date: March 13, 2005 11:22AM

[Q]Pace Wrote:

Somehow I feel that's what Roll tells his players too...[/q]

I don't know about that...I think Roll is a cleaner coach than that. But the upperclassmen were likely told that by Morris, probably in-between beatings. :-P

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2005 11:30AM by Will.

Posted by: Pace (---.library.cornell.edu)
Date: March 13, 2005 11:28AM

[Q]Will Wrote:

Pace Wrote:

Somehow I feel that's what Roll tells his players too...[/Q]
I don't know about that...I think Roll is a cleaner coach than that. But the upperclassmen were likely told that by Morris, likely in-between beatings.[/q]

I don't know man. Maybe it's because all the coaches I've ever had were strict disciplinarians, but I do not believe that the kind of behaviour Clarkson players exhibit can go on without at least some approval from the coach.

And if indeed they are just ignoring his instructions to clean up their act, well, then things are even worse. A coach that encourages dirty play in his guys is bad enough, but a coach who cannot control his guys is completely worthless.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2005 11:31AM by Pace.

Posted by: gbr33 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2005 12:13PM

Clarkson is still the dirtiest/cheapest team I've ever seen play at Lynah.

Posted by: Mike Nevin (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2005 12:44PM

[Q]Jordan 04 Wrote:

"They got lucky," said a frustrated Latulippe. "We outplayed them all game long. They just got a bounce. They just got lucky tonight, and I think they know it too."[/Q]
We bid you adieu, Jay.[/q]

Humble Guy that Jay Latulippe -- can't even leave the scene without hurling one more insult.

Its hard for me to see Cornell as winning on luck. Clearly, it was Clarkson that got the lucky bounce early that got them in the game, and Clarkson which benefitted when Feola put away his wistle in the middle of the second period. And they got one very lucky break in OT when Traylen left the net to play the puck, and the Clarkson defense had to make the save on Charlie Cook's shot.

Now, I can see the guy saying something like "It was a hard fought, even game -- too bad someone had to lose..." but to say that a team that beats you for the fourth time in a season "just got lucky" is just nuts.

Apparently the Red was just really really lucky the night before, and two weeks ago..

Great teams make their own luck -- as do arrogant, dirty, undisciplined ones.

Date: March 13, 2005 12:51PM

[Q]Jordan 04 Wrote:
We bid you adieu, Jay.[/q]Not to put words in the mouth, but I think the phrasing you were looking for was:
"AhhhhhhhhhhHHHHHHHHH... SEE YA, ASSHOLE!"

Posted by: novice (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 13, 2005 12:59PM

I'm pretty new to this sport -- first year with season tickets; still learning the rules -- so my comments may be a bit off. But, I think Cam Abbott is the unsung hero of the weekend. Very few (if any) players worked as hard as he did this weekend (not to detract from the other hard workers out there -- Moulson, who played the best defense I've seen form him so far this year; Topher, who never gives up...). He may not have all of the moves as some of the other guys, but he's got ganas. He earned the game-winning assist. If the rest of the team could play with Cam's intensity all game, we'd be set.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2005 01:20PM

[Q]novice Wrote:

I'm pretty new to this sport -- first year with season tickets; still learning the rules -- so my comments may be a bit off. But, I think Cam Abbott is the unsung hero of the weekend. Very few (if any) players worked as hard as he did this weekend (not to detract from the other hard workers out there -- Moulson, who played the best defense I've seen form him so far this year; Topher, who never gives up...). He may not have all of the moves as some of the other guys, but he's got ganas. He earned the game-winning assist. If the rest of the team could play with Cam's intensity all game, we'd be set.[/q]
He wanted to score so badly this weekend, you could tell. The shot he had that rang off not one but both posts ripped my guts out.

Date: March 13, 2005 02:10PM

Ditto about cam hitting the post... it truely sucked!

I also think Pegs deserves alot of credit for his play... he played his heart out!

Posted by: calgARI '07 (128.84.198.---)
Date: March 13, 2005 02:24PM

Abbott does have great moves and he displayed them a couple times this weekend. Very dangerous offensive player.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.mis.prserv.net)
Date: March 13, 2005 03:36PM

Usually our defense blocks most everything and then clears the blocked shots away. Last night, they weren't getting the job done clearing the puck from in front and getting it out of the zone. Clarkson's strategy in the latter periods was to just throw it on net, even from some difficult angles. They knew with the way our defense was playing, they'd have second chances. It was McKee who kept those extra chances out of the net.

Add to that the fact the ref put the whistle away in the third. and our weak 5 on 5 offense made for an uncomfortable evening.

On the other hand, nice to see that they boys can play from behind against a team that has been outplaying them. You have to think that will be the case again sometime in the next two weeks.

Date: March 13, 2005 03:42PM

...You Lose! Er, wait, You Goon! :-P

Posted by: RichS (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 13, 2005 04:18PM

so was Clarkson "lucky" last year as a few posters on this Forum opined?

Whatever Latulippe said, yes he definitely should have credited the winning team, but from some things I read, Clarkson did outplay cornell for parts of the game. Maybe that's all he can remember? It's not hard to believe given that it went to OT, a very different game than the night before. Give the guy a break, he obviously was speaking out of frustration. I've read similar comments by Schafer after his team lost a close, hard fought game.

By the way, when a goalie leaves his crease to play the puck, a defenseman is SUPPOSED to cover up for him. Doing what you're supposed to is not being "lucky". That's a coach speaking. ;-)

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 13, 2005 04:23PM

[Q]RichS Wrote:

so was Clarkson "lucky" last year as a few posters on this Forum opined?

Whatever Latulippe said, yes he definitely should have credited the winning team, but from some things I read, Clarkson did outplay cornell for parts of the game. Maybe that's all he can remember? It's not hard to believe given that it went to OT, a very different game than the night before. Give the guy a break, he obviously was speaking out of frustration. I've read similar comments by Schafer after his team lost a close, hard fought game.

By the way, when a goalie leaves his crease to play the puck, a defenseman is SUPPOSED to cover up for him. Doing what you're supposed to is not being "lucky". That's a coach speaking. [/q]

Latulippe was probably frustrated because both nights he took stupid penalties that swung the momentum temporarily to the Cornell side. The goals Cornell scored Saturday were hardly lucky goals, and we had at least 2 posts (3 if you count the shot that hit BOTH posts twice :-P ). I'm sure he was frustrated, it seems like Clarkson played the best they could and couldn't pull it off.

Gleed definitely saved a goal at one point because McKee was out of the crease. Like you said, that's not luck, that is solid defensive play.

Posted by: ugarte (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 13, 2005 04:24PM

[Q]RichS Wrote:
so was Clarkson "lucky" last year as a few posters on this Forum opined?[/q]Nope. You kicked our ass. It was very hard to watch. Seriously, Rich, there is a difference between the rose-colored glasses that fans wear and the courtesy that losing players on 12 win teams are supposed to show for a squad that has been beating his team like a drum is supposed to display. Clarkson apparently outplayed the Red for most of the game, but apparently the 2d period was all Cornell. Should our players have complained that they were a break or two from winning in regulation?
[q]By the way, when a goalie leaves his crease to play the puck, a defenseman is SUPPOSED to cover up for him. Doing what you're supposed to is not being "lucky". That's a coach speaking.[/q]Sure it is. It is a good play, but still a lucky one. Defenseman's pads, a skaters stick and no glove is no way to stop a shot. If a skater successfully covers an empty net there is some luck involved.

Date: March 13, 2005 04:24PM

[Q]atb9 Wrote:

...You Lose! Er, wait, You Goon![/q]

Since I'm the one frequently attempting to correct those around me about this, last night someone told me that's what they'll put on my tombstone: "It's 'goon', you idiots!" :-P

Date: March 13, 2005 04:36PM

clarkson outplayed cornell last year. They weren't lucky, they were good... this year cornell was the better team.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2005 05:17PM

[Q]RichS Wrote: but from some things I read, Clarkson did outplay cornell for parts of the game. Maybe that's all he can remember? [/q]No doubt, you did outplay us for parts of the game. We could have easily lost. But we didn't and that's not what Latulippe said[Q]"They got lucky," said a frustrated Latulippe. "We outplayed them all game long. They just got a bounce. They just got lucky tonight, and I think they know it too."[/Q]If that's all he can remember, maybe that's why he went to Clarkson:-) .Just kidding, just kidding. I don't want to inflame this thread any more than it already is.

Seriously, when you lose a close one, alot of emotions come out. However one would hope that a senior would be able to say the right thing. Unfortunately with the kind of teams that Clarkson has fielded, for a few years, it only reinforces their bad image.

I really hope that Roll can bring the team back to the way that many of us remember. The battles then, as exemplified by the battles of 1970, were fun and evenly played. When we won we were ecstatic, when we lost, we knew we were beaten by a better team. That went both ways.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 13, 2005 05:56PM

[Q]Jim Hyla Wrote:
I really hope that Roll can bring the team back to the way that many of us remember. The battles then, as exemplified by the battles of 1970, were fun and evenly played. When we won we were ecstatic, when we lost, we knew we were beaten by a better team. That went both ways.[/q]
Amen, Jim. Well said.

Date: March 13, 2005 06:23PM

[Q]Jim Hyla Wrote:

RichS Wrote: but from some things I read, Clarkson did outplay cornell for parts of the game. Maybe that's all he can remember? [/Q]
No doubt, you did outplay us for parts of the game. We could have easily lost. But we didn't and that's not what Latulippe said
"They got lucky," said a frustrated Latulippe. "We outplayed them all game long. They just got a bounce. They just got lucky tonight, and I think they know it too."[/Q]
If that's all he can remember, maybe that's why he went to Clarkson .Just kidding, just kidding. I don't want to inflame this thread any more than it already is.

Seriously, when you lose a close one, alot of emotions come out. However one would hope that a senior would be able to say the right thing. Unfortunately with the kind of teams that Clarkson has fielded, for a few years, it only reinforces their bad image.

I really hope that Roll can bring the team back to the way that many of us remember. The battles then, as exemplified by the battles of 1970, were fun and evenly played. When we won we were ecstatic, when we lost, we knew we were beaten by a better team. That went both ways.[/q]

Hey, the first thing I did when Cornell won was post a message saying you played the game well, I was rooting for you to represent the ECAC positively, and would follow you through the playoffs. I wished you luck. I attended Clarkson, the University didn't need to teach me sportsmanship, my father did.....it doesn't take a village to raise a child.
Do I wish Jay said something more sportsmanlike? Yes, but I am not going to kill him over what was said in the heat of the moment.....on the other hand I think he needs to have a big bowl of crybaby soup and get over it.

Date: March 13, 2005 06:28PM

amen!

I do have to say that Jay did work hard to pressure OB into screwing up, so in a sick and twisted sense he earned that goal.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: March 13, 2005 06:39PM

[Q]Drew Wrote:
I think he needs to have a big bowl of crybaby soup[/q]

Is that from Nickerson's "101 ways to eat a baby" cookbook? nut

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: March 13, 2005 06:48PM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:

Drew Wrote:
I think he needs to have a big bowl of crybaby soup[/Q]
Is that from Nickerson's "101 ways to eat a baby" cookbook?[/q]

Pathetic.

Date: March 13, 2005 06:50PM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:

Drew Wrote:

John,

I'm really surprised at you. You know Nickerson can't write.
Andy W.

Posted by: kaelistus (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 13, 2005 07:03PM

Okay guys, this is totally mountains out of molehills. Jay L. was probably a bit frustrated and off the cusp spoke what he was thinking. Whatever, its not like he said he was going to go on a shooting spree or something.

For the second year in a row, Clarkson played out of their mind. Guys, forget whatever Jay said and be glad Cornell stood up to them this time.

Date: March 13, 2005 07:12PM

[Q]kaelistus Wrote:

Okay guys, this is totally mountains out of molehills. Jay L. was probably a bit frustrated and off the cusp spoke what he was thinking. Whatever, its not like he said he was going to go on a shooting spree or something.

For the second year in a row, Clarkson played out of their mind. Guys, forget whatever Jay said and be glad Cornell stood up to them this time.[/q]

Last year Clarkson was better.
This year Cornell was better, make no mistake about either year.

Posted by: CM cWo 44 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 13, 2005 07:13PM

Let's not soon forget that he's very emotionally delicate, like... oh, I don't know. Anyone know a good similie for the delicacy of LaTullippe?

Posted by: kaelistus (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 13, 2005 08:57PM

Drew, I'm not denying any of that.. I agree 100%.

Date: March 13, 2005 09:03PM

Hopefully you can write something less "sick and twisted".

Date: March 13, 2005 09:07PM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:

Drew Wrote:

Really now John, I'm surprised at you.

The above is truly "sick and twisted."

Nickerson must have really gotten to you guys both on and off the ice. Been gone a year and you're still "commenting" about him.

rolleyes

Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: March 13, 2005 09:48PM

[Q]RichS Wrote:

jtwcornell91 Wrote:

Drew Wrote:
Is that from Nickerson's "101 ways to eat a baby" cookbook?[/Q]

Nickerson must have really gotten to you guys both on and off the ice. Been gone a year and you're still "commenting" about him.

[/q]

Probably the reason we still make comments about Nickerson is because fools like you still respond to every single one...

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: March 13, 2005 11:56PM

[Q]RichS Wrote:

jtwcornell91 Wrote:

Drew Wrote:
Is that from Nickerson's "101 ways to eat a baby" cookbook?[/Q]

[/q]

Geez, lighten up. It's not like anybody thinks Nickerson actually eats babies. Drew's was just too good a straight line to pass up.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: March 14, 2005 12:09AM

Fair enough John, I just happen to think lines like that are pretty tasteless. Perhaps I'm more sensitive to it because I do a lot of work with kids.

And oh, you may want to suggest to "Displaced cornellian" that he lighten up too. I get a kick outta him calling me a "fool". rolleyes

Posted by: BCrespi (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2005 12:18AM

If comments about a hockey goon "eating babies" gets you steamed because you work closely with kids, I think it's time to take one giant step back and realize the situation.

Date: March 14, 2005 12:37AM

[Q]BCrespi Wrote:

If comments about a hockey goon "eating babies" gets you steamed because you work closely with kids, I think it's time to take one giant step back and realize the situation.[/q]

Yeah, I guess you're right. I shouldn't expect anything other than tasteless and gratuitous drivel from a large portion of the posters on this board when it comes to talking about student-athletes of other schools, now should I?
rolleyes

Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: March 14, 2005 01:03AM

Yeah, maybe I need to lighten up a little, but I just get a little annoyed when morons take every comment jokingly made about a member of their team personally. Like John said...nobody actually thinks Nickerson eats babies, the absolute absurdity of the comment is what makes it amusing. You do know what a joke is, don't you RichS? smashfreak

Date: March 14, 2005 01:12AM

[Q]RichS Wrote:

BCrespi Wrote:

If comments about a hockey goon "eating babies" gets you steamed because you work closely with kids, I think it's time to take one giant step back and realize the situation.[/Q]
Yeah, I guess you're right. I shouldn't expect anything other than tasteless and gratuitous drivel from a large portion of the posters on this board when it comes to talking about student-athletes of other schools, now should I?
[/q]

Unlike my recent trend on USCHO, I'm gonna sit this baby out popcorn

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: March 14, 2005 01:12AM

[Q]RichS Wrote:
Perhaps I'm more sensitive to it because I do a lot of work with kids.
[/q]
"Won't somebody please think of the children?!" laugh

[baleted]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2023 01:20PM by Scersk '97.

Date: March 14, 2005 08:05AM

[Q]RichS Wrote:

BCrespi Wrote:

If comments about a hockey goon "eating babies" gets you steamed because you work closely with kids, I think it's time to take one giant step back and realize the situation.[/Q]
[/q]
Rich, if you really believe that we should write more respectfully about student-athletes of other schools, why haven't you gone over to the Clarkson Roundtable and told that pompous ass Goldie Knight that she should stop referring to Cornell players as "animals?" Don't you think that's "tasteless and gratuitous drivel," as well as being rude and just downright stupid?

Why don't you go do that and come back and tell us when it's done. It seems strange to me that you hold posters here to a different standard than yourr Clarkson cronies on the Roundtable. Don't you think?

Posted by: Drew (199.43.32.---)
Date: March 14, 2005 10:13AM

[Q]kaelistus Wrote:

Drew, I'm not denying any of that.. I agree 100%. [/q]

Cornellian and a Knight agree? (looking out the window for a solar eclipse, nope)

Last year Clarkson underachieved with that 9th place finish, and I remember saying they are going to do a lot of damage because everyone will look at us a nine seed and we did......This year I think we had twelve frosh and sophs out of 18 regulars....Althought they did rise up to play ohio state, dartmouth, vermont well. I knew they could not win a 3 game series against Cornell.

I like Cornell's chances to go deep this year if they stay within their system and avoid injuries.

Posted by: KateWithThe8 (128.8.221.---)
Date: March 14, 2005 11:02AM

I haven't seen it mentioned directly here yet, so in case people missed it, I thought it is pretty awesome that Downs was able to break a record Saturday night:

(from the USCHO recap) "Cornell senior defenseman Jeremy Downs played in his 134th consecutive game Saturday night, setting a new school record. Next Friday in Albany, he will break Stephen Bâby's school record for total games played in a career ... "

That's a lot of games! He's one of those players that's always there (both literaly and figuratively!). Congrats to him!

Posted by: RichS (---.wayneschools.com)
Date: March 14, 2005 11:12AM

yep, I sure do...a good example is you calling me a "moron"...lol

Posted by: ben03 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2005 11:18AM

richS, do you actually make that lame-a$$ face (rolleyes ) whenever you reply to a post? just curious

Date: March 14, 2005 11:19AM

Well, first off Al, only guys like George Steinbrenner have "cronies"...lol.

Yeah, Goldie can be a bit over the top but I've met her many times and she's a very nice lady. I can't help it if she has developed a distaste for cornell fans based in large part I'm told on their tasteless behavior at Cheel.

If her posting bothers you that much, feel free to visit the Clarkson Roundtable and tell her so yourself. There is not a single good reason for me to do that for you. You've never had a problem or shown reluctance to express your feelings.

And no, I do not hold posters here to a standard any different than those on the Clarkson Roundtable. I have called posters on that site about that stuff too. Just seems to me that there is a lot more tasteless stuff written here, all the crap about Nickerson being a prime example.

Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (---.wireless.wm.edu)
Date: March 14, 2005 11:30AM

[Q]RichS Wrote:

Just seems to me that there is a lot more tasteless stuff written here, all the crap about Nickerson being a prime example.[/q]

There is more stuff written here, period. Thus while the amount of "tasteless" posting here may be more as a whole than over at the Roundtable, proportionally it is probably about the same.

And besides, what is tasteless to one is amusing to another. Some of us find off-color comments about Nickerson's cannibalistic tendencies and STD misfortune amusing (I wonder if he caught syphillis in that same hottub as pictured in the the other thread...).

Others (such as yourself), see themselves as above such lowly comments, yet still feel the need to validate them with a response every time they are made. Why do you keep sinking to our level, RichS?

And since you seem to like smilies so much, here's a new one for you to try on.

::flipb::

Date: March 14, 2005 12:05PM

[Q]RichS Wrote:
Just seems to me that there is a lot more tasteless stuff written here, all the crap about Nickerson being a prime example.[/q]If it bothers you that much, don't come back. Everybody wins.

Date: March 14, 2005 12:22PM

aww, come on now jmh...who would you guys take shots at if I leave? I don''t see folks from Harvard here too often. :-D

Date: March 14, 2005 12:28PM

[Q]DisplacedCornellian Wrote:

There is more stuff written here, period. Thus while the amount of "tasteless" posting here may be more as a whole than over at the Roundtable, proportionally it is probably about the same.

And besides, what is tasteless to one is amusing to another. Some of us find off-color comments about Nickerson's cannibalistic tendencies and STD misfortune amusing (I wonder if he caught syphillis in that same hottub as pictured in the the other thread...).

Others (such as yourself), see themselves as above such lowly comments, yet still feel the need to validate them with a response every time they are made. Why do you keep sinking to our level, RichS?

And since you seem to like smilies so much, here's a new one for you to try on.

[/q]

Not even close displaced...you guys take tastelessness to a new low, just as you do at Lynah. And I suppose all your "dirt" on Nickerson came from creditable sources.

I'm not sinking to your level at all and commenting on your antics hardly "validates" them. Unlike some of you, I don't have to resort to obscenities to express my thoughts.

Case in point is your resorting to that smilie to tell me how you feel. Pretty pathetic that a supposedly educated cornellian can't do better than that. Sad.

And just for you...

:-}

Date: March 14, 2005 02:38PM

[Q]RichS Wrote:

aww, come on now jmh...who would you guys take shots at if I leave? I don''t see folks from Harvard here too often. [/q]

You don't have to be here for us to take shots at you. :-P

Date: March 14, 2005 02:58PM

maybe some of us genuinely (sp?) think of you as a moron

edit: just so you know I am joking

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2005 04:55PM by Dpperk29.

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.nyc.deshaw.com)
Date: March 14, 2005 03:01PM

[Q]RichS Wrote:

If her posting bothers you that much, feel free to visit the Clarkson Roundtable and tell her so yourself. There is not a single good reason for me to do that for you.[/q]

But the question is if that is how you feel about her posts on the Clarkson Roundtable, why do you come here and act like it is your job or obligation to challenge every less-than-high brow comment made here? I went to see it for myself; she made the "animals" and other attacking comments a lot in the Saturday score thread and there wasn't one post by you asking her to tone it down. Yet you haven't let one post in this thread go without retort. Perhaps if most all of your posts on eLF weren't so judgmental, you'd be more welcome here. I've certainly enjoyed for the most part the contributions made by other fans for opposition teams; I cannot say the same about your contributions.

Also, regarding your claim that, relatively speaking, there is more garbage on this forum then others, I heartily disagree. But true or not, if that is your belief, why even bother participating here? If I don't like something that has voluntary involvement, I don't go out of my way to witness it over and over and over again and I certainly don't actively participate. And so as not to neglect the smilies: screwy
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2005 03:03PM by JasonN95.

Posted by: ben03 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2005 03:03PM

EDIT: deleted for content too offensive

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2005 05:30PM by ben03.

Posted by: Drew (199.43.48.---)
Date: March 14, 2005 03:18PM

Wow.....kinda rough in here.

Posted by: kaelistus (---.mak.com)
Date: March 14, 2005 03:35PM

No kidding...

Come on guys. Keep it in the rink. I, for one, like the fact that RichS is still posting around here, leave the personal insults out.

RichS, inevitably there's always a few times when our fanbases will go too far, But "Nickerson eats babies" offensive??? HUH???

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 14, 2005 03:45PM

Well said... everyone needs to chill out. Rich has to stop taking things so seriously and thinking that everything is a personal insult and has to be taken so seriously. Here's a hint, pal, never check out collegehumor.com, I'm sure it'd be highly "offensive".

Everyone else, please, lets stop the childish insults, no reason to degrade things any further.

Posted by: Brett Gobe (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2005 03:48PM

A non flame related question:

Was that guy who got hit in the head with the puck on Friday night ok? I think he was in section D or E. He got drilled, looked like there was alot of blood.

Posted by: Avash (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2005 03:52PM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:

Well said... everyone needs to chill out.[/q]

[www.scrolllock.nl]

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.music.cornell.edu)
Date: March 14, 2005 04:24PM

[Q]Brett Gobe Wrote:

A non flame related question:

Was that guy who got hit in the head with the puck on Friday night ok? I think he was in section D or E. He got drilled, looked like there was alot of blood.[/q]

I'm pretty sure I saw him walk behind us holding a towel to his head, so at least he was conscious and moving.

Posted by: pfibiger (---.dfafunds.com)
Date: March 14, 2005 04:35PM

I didn't get to watch the game, but was listening to it...Jason Weinstein was getting pretty exasperated with the fact that Traylen kept dislodging his net when Cornell was putting on pressure. Those who were at the game, or watching it on XMI, was it deliberate? Assuming it's against the rules, is a penalty ever assessed? I found reference to it in some minor league handbook, but not with respect to the NCAA.

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2005 04:41PM

[Q]pfibiger Wrote:

I didn't get to watch the game, but was listening to it...Jason Weinstein was getting pretty exasperated with the fact that Traylen kept dislodging his net when Cornell was putting on pressure. Those who were at the game, or watching it on XMI, was it deliberate? Assuming it's against the rules, is a penalty ever assessed? I found reference to it in some minor league handbook, but not with respect to the NCAA.[/q]

The net came off its moorings a few times Saturday night...there was only one time when I specifically thought it could've been intentionally dislodged, and I wasn't really paying attention to Traylen at that moment. I'm positive that he didn't try to get the net to fall forward on top of him (though that was the funniest sight of the evening). That said, I'm pretty sure the refs could assess a delay of game penalty if they wanted to.

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.music.cornell.edu)
Date: March 14, 2005 04:46PM

[Q]Liz '05 Wrote:

pfibiger Wrote:

I didn't get to watch the game, but was listening to it...Jason Weinstein was getting pretty exasperated with the fact that Traylen kept dislodging his net when Cornell was putting on pressure. Those who were at the game, or watching it on XMI, was it deliberate? Assuming it's against the rules, is a penalty ever assessed? I found reference to it in some minor league handbook, but not with respect to the NCAA.[/Q]
The net came off its moorings a few times Saturday night...there was only one time when I specifically thought it could've been intentionally dislodged, and I wasn't really paying attention to Traylen at that moment. I'm positive that he didn't try to get the net to fall forward on top of him (though that was the funniest sight of the evening). That said, I'm pretty sure the refs could assess a delay of game penalty if they wanted to.[/q]

Traylen did it once, the Clarkson D did it once or twice. Every time it happened, there was a faceoff in the Clarkson zone, but no penalty, so Feola didn't think they were intentional. I don't think they were blatant enough to draw a call.

Date: March 14, 2005 04:59PM

in USA hockey... the governing body for most youth hockey, and adult leagues... knocking the net off intentionally can warrant a delay of game call. I would assume it is the same in NCAA

Date: March 14, 2005 05:08PM

Intentionally dislodging the net calls for a delay of game penalty. But it has to be pretty deliberate as opposed to the incredible coincidence that the net only came loose at whatever end of the ice Clarkson defended. In the era before soft contact lenses, one Cornell goalie used to get a minute's breather late in the game when the contact got dislodged in his eye or once fell on the ice. Some versions of the story have it that he never actually was wearing contacts. This is much better than the goalie's pad strap that waits till the last couple minutes of a close game to come loose but only in close contests.

Date: March 14, 2005 06:05PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

Intentionally dislodging the net calls for a delay of game penalty. But it has to be pretty deliberate as opposed to the incredible coincidence that the net only came loose at whatever end of the ice Clarkson defended. In the era before soft contact lenses, one Cornell goalie used to get a minute's breather late in the game when the contact got dislodged in his eye or once fell on the ice. Some versions of the story have it that he never actually was wearing contacts. This is much better than the goalie's pad strap that waits till the last couple minutes of a close game to come loose but only in close contests. [/q]
That strap came loose much more often back when there were no timeouts in college hockey.

Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login