Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

The Crowd at Lynah

Posted by calgARI '07 
The Crowd at Lynah
Posted by: calgARI '07 (205.232.75.---)
Date: February 23, 2005 01:49AM

In my two years in section B after looking over at from across the ice for so many years, I have often questioned the presence of the students compared to what it used to be. Without question, students get to games later than they used to, but almost all outsiders seem more than just impressed. Additionally, the players almost always seem to commend the fans and their importance after home games. I just read this post over at USCHO from an RPI fan in the thread regarding how good Cornell really is.

"Nope, sorry, but Cornell is almost for real...but not quite.

I only say this because we played in Lynah Rink last weekend. The intensity of your fans produces a favorable outcome for your team.

We played more than a roster of 20 kids. We played the intensity of your whole rink.

I'm not mad. I'[m jealous. Your fanbase is colossal and I commend them. Your team is aided by the shear velosity (yes, velosity) of your team spirit in Lynah.

Wish we could bottle it and utilize it up in Troy."

Not sure exactly what I'm getting at, but thought it was interesting.

Also, off topic, but in regards to that thread over at USCHO and other threads over there, I find it pretty funny that some of these people who don't think much of Cornell seem to take personally that they are ranked so high. Are they being overrated by the polls? Yes. Have they played a weak out of conference schedule? Yes. Have they only beaten one strong OOC team? Yes. But what's the point in getting all fired up about it? Maybe they think college hockey is like college football and the rankings matter. Sure they are high in PWR, but none of these detractors seem to think that Cornell doesn't belong in the tournament. So if they are so overrated, then fine, they'll lose first round.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2005 01:59AM by calgARI '07.

Re: The Crowd at Lynah
Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: February 23, 2005 02:29AM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:
Also, off topic, but in regards to that thread over at USCHO and other threads over there, I find it pretty funny that some of these people who don't think much of Cornell seem to take personally that they are ranked so high. Are they being overrated by the polls? Yes. Have they played a weak out of conference schedule? Yes. Have they only beaten one strong OOC team? Yes. But what's the point in getting all fired up about it? Maybe they think college hockey is like college football and the rankings matter. Sure they are high in PWR, but none of these detractors seem to think that Cornell doesn't belong in the tournament. So if they are so overrated, then fine, they'll lose first round.[/q]I don't think I'd pay too much attention to that. I spend a fair amount of time on the USCHO boards (I get pretty hockey-starved sometimes) and few (if any) of those comments come from people who typically have anything of value to add to a conversation. Plenty of people have been quick to chime in that they're not particularly anxious to see Cornell come tournament time, and those feelings are backed up by poll votes and comments from coaches who've played us.

Edit: And wow, he actually did say "velosity".
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2005 02:49AM by jmh30.

Posted by: Will (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 23, 2005 09:44AM

[Q]jmh30 Wrote:

I spend a fair amount of time on the USCHO boards (I get pretty hockey-starved sometimes)[/q]

Sometimes? This coming from the person with the 8th most posts out of 9305 total posters. 14.11 posts per day...uh huh...:-D

Posted by: aznxjz (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2005 01:46AM

Damn Hockey fans from the west..... cuss

Posted by: Trotsky (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: February 24, 2005 10:22AM

There's a difference in the tenor of comments about Cornell on USCHO between 2003 and 2005.

In 2003, the intelligent western and HE posters were highly skeptical of Cornell or any ECAC team. There was a lot of discussion of "clutch and grab," and the consensus was that Cornell would have their hands full with a mid-level Mankato or anybody with skilled forwards.

In 2005, the intelligent western and HE posters are coming to the defense of Cornell against the "EZAC" morons, saying this is a scary, well-disciplined team they'd just as soon avoid thankyouverymuch. The 2003 team improved the national perception of Cornell. The Big Red aren't regarded as an elite team yet, but they are thought of as a solid "second four" team. 1-2 Frozen Fours or 1 NCAA Title (from these keys to God's ear), and they will match Michigan's reputation as a genuinely elite team and never mind who they play.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2005 10:24AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 24, 2005 10:35AM

If we capture the NCAA title, who gives a crap about reputation? We'll be the national champions, the team that pulled it together and won in the end, that proved it was the best at the right time.

Posted by: aznxjz (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2005 11:56AM

I did think it was funny that both us and colgate beat the same opponents and we went up 2 spots and they went down 1 :)

I think the ppl are posting on uscho.com are right when they put us at about a 6 or 7 ranking (along the lines of KRACH). With a 12 game unbeaten streak it's hard for the polls to drop us spots, so we've been basically rising for 6 weeks

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 24, 2005 12:30PM

[Q]aznxjz Wrote:

I think the ppl are posting on uscho.com are right when they put us at about a 6 or 7 ranking (along the lines of KRACH). With a 12 game unbeaten streak it's hard for the polls to drop us spots, so we've been basically rising for 6 weeks[/q]

Well, it's more that the teams around and above us in the polls have been losing, making them drop, and thus we rise by default. Still, rising to a tie for second is still farther than I thought we'd get by this point in the season.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login