Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

[OT[ ECAC trivia

Posted by billhoward 
[OT[ ECAC trivia
Posted by: billhoward (---.z064000229.nyc-ny.dsl.cnc.net)
Date: February 18, 2005 11:36AM

Truly trivial, sort of interesting, from this week's USCHO ECACHL column [www.uscho.com]

>>> Aside from the Crimson and the Bears [Brown], all other travel partners are back-to-back in the standings. Cornell-Colgate are 1-2, Dartmouth-Vermont are tied for fourth, Clarkson-St. Lawrence are tied for seventh, Union-RPI are 9-10 and Princeton-Yale are 11-12.

The column picks Cornell to beat RPI and Union 3-1 and 3-0, respectively. (It also picks Harvard to beat Brown, 3-1, next Tuesday, which, if true, means Cornell's hope for the Ivy title falls to Dartmouth next weekend.)

And the miscellany at the end starts off lauding Adam D'Alba's three shutouts as a freshman for Brown. [McKee had five last year.] It then notes how Mckee is doing on shutouts, but now how many: "• Cornell sophomore David McKee's 5-0 shutout on Friday tied him with David LeNeveu for second on the school's all-time list, two behind Ken Dryden." That would be 11 to Dryden's 13.

Re: [OT[ ECAC trivia
Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2005 12:01PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

And the miscellany at the end starts off lauding Adam D'Alba's three shutouts as a freshman for Brown. It then notes how Mckee is doing on shutouts, but now how many: "• Cornell sophomore David McKee's 5-0 shutout on Friday tied him with David LeNeveu for second on the school's all-time list, two behind Ken Dryden." That would be 11 to Dryden's 13.
[/q]

You're right, the column is trivial... ;-)

Martinez dislikes Cornell; that has been clear to me for some time. He's a Harvard fan, right? Unfortunately, Big Red sympathizers can't produce all of the ECACHL material B-]

Posted by: Trotsky (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: February 18, 2005 12:21PM

Not so trivial. Up until very recently, historically we had balance between partnerships, with a good and bad partner in most cases:

Cornell (good) Colgate (bad) -- except sporadially they'd reverse for one season
Harvard (good) - Brown (bad)
RPI (good) - Union (bad) -- then they both gravitated to the middle
UVM (good) - Dartmouth (bad) -- then they reversed
North Country -- both good, sometimes SLU would temporarily drop off
Yale/Princeton -- both bad, sometimes Yale would temporarily step up

Now we've got a spectrum of partnerships, from excellent to terrible:

R: Cornell/Gate
O: Harvard/Brown
Y: Dartmouth/Vermont
G: Clarkson/SLU
B: Union/RPI
I: Yale/Princeton

and it should only be exascerbated by the shakeup next year:

R: Cornell/Gate
O: Harvard/Dartmouth
Y: Clarkson/SLU
G: RPI/Union
B: Yale/Brown
I: Princeton/Quinnipiac

This too shall pass, but the oscillation between tough weekends and "easy" weekends make the season feel very different than the formerly balanced situation.

Posted by: Chris 02 (---.aere.iastate.edu)
Date: February 18, 2005 12:27PM

What's the

R
O
Y
G
B
I

mean?

Date: February 18, 2005 12:33PM

You must not be into science! ;-)

It's the band of visible light that consists of a spectrum of wavelengths. In this instance, Greg didn't include V, or Violet. ROY-G-BIV is a well known acronym in the science community to remember the order.

Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2005 12:36PM by atb9.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: February 18, 2005 12:38PM

I hereby give Army Violet, in honor of their former ECAC perpetual suckitude.

Posted by: Bio '04 (---.net.nih.gov)
Date: February 18, 2005 12:43PM

Wasn't Indigo dropped from the spectrum?

Re: [extra OT] Indigo
Date: February 18, 2005 12:50PM

[Q]Bio '04 Wrote:

Wasn't Indigo dropped from the spectrum?[/q]

"Incidentally, indigo is not actually observed in the spectrum but is traditionally added to the list so that there is a vowel in Roy's last name"

Have fun with that! ;-)

The spectrum of visible light is such a small part of the enormous range of frequencies of electromagnetic radiation that you can add something small and trivial to help out with the acronym and not effect the big picture.

edit: here's a link on Indigo [madsci.wustl.edu]

[/science]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2005 12:52PM by atb9.

Re: [extra OT] Indigo
Date: February 18, 2005 01:05PM

[Q]atb9 Wrote:

The spectrum of visible light is such a small part of the enormous range of frequencies of electromagnetic radiation that you can add something small and trivial to help out with the acronym and not effect the big picture.
[/q]

Even though Princeton and Yale are small and trivial (most of the time), too bad they do effect the big picture (at least in terms of RPI)... :-P

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2005 01:06PM by Bio '04.

Date: February 18, 2005 01:07PM

Not mentioning McKee's # of shutouts is what I used to call "airplane writing" in author seminars -- meaning the author could have known or looked up the fact, but he was on an airplane with no press kit or (this is about to change) Internet connection, and when the plane landed, he didn't go back and fill in the TKs. Synonyms for this would be "forgetful" or "lazy" if one were into name-calling and it happened a lot.

Again, I don't want to start a dump-on-USCHO thread, because we're far better off with it than a decade ago with no online news about college hockey. You're seeing the effects of people trying to do a lot for what is probably not a lot of money under some time constraints. That, I believe, explains but not excuses an error like this one.

Does he have an anti-Cornell bias? It could be an anti-coach-who-doesn't-say-much-of-quotable-interest bias. If Schafer (deliberately) says nothing interesting, writers hate that ... and it's probably great for the team because it doesn't give the opponents anything to paste to their locker room bulletin board. So if Schafer has less to say, there's an unconscious tendency to write about the other schools with more quotable or more accessible (don't know if that's the case) coaches.

Bias? Somebody should go back and compare Juan Martinez' overall percentage picking all ECACHL game winners vs. his picks for Cornell to win/lose/tie. Also, how many times has he picked shutouts for Cornell/McKee (vs. the six he has this year)? (The USCHO column this week says he is 9-2-1 (last week, when the top played the bottom in many games) and the overall record is 106-66-18 (.605). [www.uscho.com]

Posted by: mjh89 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 18, 2005 01:08PM

Richard Of York Gave Battle In Vain is an equally effective means to remembering them.

Date: February 18, 2005 01:11PM

"Richard of York..."? Is that the version taught in Episcopal prep schools? Whatever happened to "Russians on Yachts..."? Or that is no longer PC because it condones alcohol and nudity?

Re: [OT] Indigo
Posted by: Molly (129.43.32.---)
Date: February 18, 2005 01:17PM

[Q]Bio '04 Wrote:

Wasn't Indigo dropped from the spectrum?[/q]

Somebody must have forgotten to tell the art teachers in middle and high schools. I still remember Mr. BIV from my studio art classes, and it wasn't all that long ago!

Posted by: mjh89 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 18, 2005 01:18PM

I'm sitting here trying to figure out the ending to your Russians on Yachts, but I can't. Please fill me in. Must be something along the same lines as: King Philip Came Over For Great Sex when remembering the old Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species.

Re: [OT] mneumonics
Date: February 18, 2005 01:37PM

[Q]mjh89 Wrote:

I'm sitting here trying to figure out the ending to your Russians on Yachts, but I can't. Please fill me in. Must be something along the same lines as: King Philip Came Over For Great Sex when remembering the old Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species.[/q]

I learned it as King Phillip came over from Germany Swimming. I must have had a pretty tame middle school!

I think the "worst" (in terms of word usage) mneumonic device I ever heard (from a teacher) was "All Students Take Crack" in Math Course III (that's Trig for non-NY people). :-P

Posted by: puff (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: February 18, 2005 01:49PM

Don't get me thinking about Math Course _____. All three are repressed memories i think i'm better off without. Or maybe i don't remember 'cause i was sleeping.

I learned it as King Phillip Came over from greater Spain.

Date: February 18, 2005 02:06PM

ROY G BIV = Russians on Yachts Go Bathing in Vodka.

Didn't write it out completely because I thought it was something we all learned by junior high.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 18, 2005 02:11PM

Oh Be A Fine Girl, Kiss Me.

O B A F G K M - types of stars in decreasing order of temperature. (For instance, our Sun is a G-type star.) Yet another mnemonic device to add to the mix.

Posted by: Chris 02 (---.aere.iastate.edu)
Date: February 18, 2005 03:24PM

[Q]atb9 Wrote:

You must not be into science!

It's the band of visible light that consists of a spectrum of wavelengths. In this instance, Greg didn't include V, or Violet. ROY-G-BIV is a well known acronym in the science community to remember the order.

Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet[/q]

I got a Mechanical Engineering degree in 2002. When I first looked at the sequence of letters, it did look like the mnemoic device for the order of colors in the visible region of the EM spectrum. But it didn't seem to have any relation to hockey, so I thought it might have been something else (like Central NY, North Country, Capital District, etc.)

Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 18, 2005 04:27PM

[Q]Will Wrote:

Oh Be A Fine Girl, Kiss Me.

O B A F G K M - types of stars in decreasing order of temperature. (For instance, our Sun is a G-type star.) Yet another mnemonic device to add to the mix.[/q]

Heh..the one I taught myself for that was "Only bad astronomers fear giant killer martians."

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: February 18, 2005 04:33PM

[q](The USCHO column this week says [Martinez] is 9-2-1 (last week, when the top played the bottom in many games) and the overall record is 106-66-18 (.605).[/q]His record in predictions is certainly a lot better than Jayson Moy and his partner (Becky?) did over a few years. But keep in mind that there is probably less parity in the league than there was a few years ago. When everyone is clustered around the middle it'sa lot harder to pick the winners.

Posted by: Pete Godenschwager (---.chem.cornell.edu)
Date: February 18, 2005 04:55PM

Although Jayson Moy and Co. did correctly predict both the outcomes and scores of all four games at the ECACs two years ago. That was nuts.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 18, 2005 05:25PM

[Q]Pete Godenschwager Wrote:

Although Jayson Moy and Co. did correctly predict both the outcomes and scores of all four games at the ECACs two years ago. That was nuts. [/q]
Not to mention a good weekend :-D

Posted by: Roy 82 (---.SRI.COM)
Date: February 18, 2005 07:42PM

Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls But Violet Gives Willingly

Not very PC but I still remember it even though I forget which bands are the multipliers etc.

(resitor code for you non-enginerds)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2005 08:05PM by Roy 82.

Posted by: jeh25 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 19, 2005 11:08AM

[Q]... the "worst" (in terms of word usage) mneumonic device I ever heard ...[/q]

Clearly you never took a neuroscience class.

Need to remember the cranial nerves?

Oh Oh Oh To Touch And Feel A Girls Vagina And Hymen
or
Old Opinions Occlude The Truth About Fucking Virgins Good, Violently And Hard

(I-Olfactory, II-Optic, III-Oculomotor, IV-Trochlear, V-Trigeminal, VI-Abducens, VII-Facial, VIII-Acoustic (aka Vestibulocochlear), IX-Glossophrayngeal, X-Vagus, XI- Accessory, XII-Hypoglossal)

Need to remember which are Sensory, which are motor and which are both?

Some Say Marry Money, But My Brother Says Big Breasts Matter More

Worse yet are the branches of the facial nerve:

Two Zombies (Buggered) My Cornhole

(Temporal, Zygomatic, Buccal, Mandibular, Cervical.)

To survive macronutrient metabolism, I made up made up my own mnemonic for the citric acid cycle:

Can I always sell sex for money, officer?

(cis-aconitate, isocitrate, alpha-ketoglutarate, succinyl-CoA, succinate, fumalate, malate, oxaloacetate)

Finally, we went to High School with a guy named Kevin Puckace so naturally, that resulted in:

Kevin Puckace Chases Old Fat Girl Scouts.

Posted by: jeh25 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 19, 2005 11:19AM

[Q]Chris 02 Wrote:
When I first looked at the sequence of letters, it did look like the mnemoic device for the order of colors in the visible region of the EM spectrum. But it didn't seem to have any relation to hockey, so I thought it might have been something else (like Central NY, North Country, Capital District, etc.)[/q]

Greg is clearly just jealous of Tom Ridge's Terror Alert Scheme. :-P

In other news, with the best win pct in the country and a 11 game unbeaten streak, it looks like Cornell is about to go Plaid.

Does that make Mike Schafer Lonestar or Yogurt?
nut

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login