Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

PWR Rating is a JOKE

Posted by msphi81 
PWR Rating is a JOKE
Posted by: msphi81 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 11, 2005 11:09PM

Let me get this...Minnesota has lost 8 of its last 12 games and is tied for 3rd in PWR. Moreover, three of the four wins were agains two questionable teams Minnesota State (9-14-6) and Minnesota Dulluth (11-14-5). Great job against Michigan Tech...they lost two games at home to them...a team with only 5 other wins.

Re: PWR Rating is a JOKE
Posted by: Robb (---.169.137.235.ts46v-07.otnc1.ftwrth.tx.charter.co)
Date: February 11, 2005 11:12PM

Please, please, please let's not start this @#$%@# here. Go here to post this stuff:

USCHO thread for the mathematically challenged.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 11, 2005 11:21PM

Hey Rob, it has nothing to do with being mathematically challenged. You can understand PWR mathematically through and through, and still think that it doesn't correctly do what it was supposed to.

There are two reasons Minn is rated so high.

1) Correctly, PWR ranks based on the whole season, not just the last half-ish now. And Minn had a very good start.

2) PWR overweights Strength of Schedule, because RPI overweights S.O.S. Also as witnessed by the fact that we won tonight and our RPI still dropped very measureably. Also see NoDak for more evidence on this.

Posted by: Robb (---.169.137.235.ts46v-07.otnc1.ftwrth.tx.charter.co)
Date: February 12, 2005 12:00AM

Of course, you are correct, DeltaOne81. In fact, it seems to me that those who are dissatisfied with PWR tend to fall into two camps - those who don't understand it at all (and therefore think that it's black magic or some sort of conspiracy to punish/reward some teams) and those who understand it best and can provide objective reasoning as to why other rankings (KRACH, et al) do a better job of rating teams most in line with our "general sense" of who is better.

Those who fall into the second camp typically don't use words like "joke" or "questionable teams," nor do they generally cite anecdotal evidence (team A did thus-and-such, and didn't get penalized/rewarded enough). So when I see that, I jump to the conclusion that the person doesn't understand WHY PWR does that, not just that they'd prefer a different ranking system.

My bad.

Date: February 12, 2005 12:09AM

Robb,

And I admit that you are right that the original poster most certainly didn't have a solid enough foundation to criticize the PWR knowledgeably... most obvious evidence being the thread title. So you're right, that your response was reasonably appropriate for the level of discussion being presented.

But lets try to raise the level of dialect instead of responding in kind :)

This was way too intellectual of a debate to be had on USCHO. On here we might actually have a fighting chance ;)

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 12, 2005 12:14AM

And of course Minnesota is still ranked 4th in the KRACH ratings.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: February 12, 2005 01:58AM

Tha rankings still rate Minnesota very highly because they played a strong non-conference schedule which they mostly won and because their conference does very well in non-conference play. Doing very well in your non-conf slate gives you the majority of common opponents comparison (e.g. Minnesota beats us in this category 1-0-0 to 0-1-1 based solely on the MSU games). The WCHA's very strong record in non-conference play inflates the RPI of even the bad teams in the conference. Losing to Michigan Tech hurts less than a loss to Yale because MTU has a solid Opponents Opponents %. This is true both in PWR/RPI and KRACH.

I agree that it seems wrong that 12 loss Minnesota is deserving of their high ranking. And I say this as someone who pretty much understands KRACH and doesn't have a good argument as to why KRACH is wrong. But the system is what it is. And keep in mind - if Minnesota keeps playing like they have this (calendar) year they won't end up a #1 seed, even if they almost certainly can't fail to get a tournament bid.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: February 12, 2005 02:40AM

1. I don't understand KRACH, I'll be honest.
2. I do understand PWR.
3. If Minnesota is ranked 4th in KRACH, then I believe KRACH rates strength of schedule too highly, just as RPI and PWR do. But then, I think RPI should go back to 35-50-15, so my views might not reflect those of the majority.

Posted by: msphi81 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 12, 2005 08:05AM

The problem with these rating systems is that they should deduct something for a loss to a lousy team. Minnesota should be penalized for its games against Michigan Tech, Minnesota State, and Minnesota Duluth.

We had a nice win against Princeton last night, but that game did not matter in the national ratings.

Effectively top teams should rest their star players when the are playing against a weak team because the game just doesn't matter.

Alternatively, maybe a team that has gone 4-8 and is just 13-10 in its division is the 4th best in the country.

Posted by: KenP (---.tu.ok.cox.net)
Date: February 12, 2005 08:33AM

Understanding KRACH is simple...it's the derivation that's hard. Both KRACH and RPI ratings are a combination of WIN% and SOS. The difference is that SOS in KRACH is "more accurate" than in RPI.

WCHA teams playing well in non-conference games will inflate both their RPI and KRACH. It may seem like a flaw, but it's the only way to compare teams that play the majority of their games in-conference. If you want a system that awards WIN% more, you run into the risks of having cupcake AHA and CHA teams high in the rankings.

Regarding Minnesota's recent slump....the original PWR had an extra criterion for win-percentage-in-last-15-games. That was supposed to reward "hot" teams and punish teams slumping come playoff time. The two problems with that criterion were (a) it meant games near the end of the season were somehow more important, and (b) because most of these games tend to be in-conference, it punished teams playing in competitive conferences.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: February 12, 2005 08:50AM

[Q]KenP Wrote:
Understanding KRACH is simple...it's the derivation that's hard. Both KRACH and RPI ratings are a combination of WIN% and SOS. The difference is that SOS in KRACH is "more accurate" than in RPI.
[/q]

Well, that, and it incorporates SOS more integrally in the ratings. If you cook up an SOS rating and stir it in in some arbitrary way, you end up with a situation where you can hurt your ranking by beating a bad team.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: February 12, 2005 09:24AM

[Q]msphi81 Wrote:
The problem with these rating systems is that they should deduct something for a loss to a lousy team. Minnesota should be penalized for its games against Michigan Tech, Minnesota State, and Minnesota Duluth.
[/Q]

Well, I don't see why they should be punished for winning games against Minnesota State any more than we should be punished for beating Princeton. But the losses to MTU and UMD did hurt Minnesota in KRACH. Right now Minnesota is in 4th place in KRACH with a rating of 573.0 and an RRWP of .8018. Go to [slack.net] , select KRACH and "specify results" and go in and delete those three losses, and you'll see that Minnesota jumps to 3rd place, with a rating of 890.9 and and RRWP of .8546. Change them into wins, and they're still in 3rd place, but now with a rating of 948.3 and an RRWP of .8610. I'll let you use the form to work out the impact on RPI yourself.

[Q]We had a nice win against Princeton last night, but that game did not matter in the national ratings.[/Q]

We were overwhelmingly favored to beat Princeton last night. If we hadn't beaten them, that would be news. We shouldn't be hurt by the win, like we are in RPI, but I don't see the problem with the improvement in our standing for beating a team much weaker than us being only marginal, like it is in KRACH.

[Q]Effectively top teams should rest their star players when the are playing against a weak team because the game just doesn't matter.[/Q]

No! Winning those games won't help you much, but losing them will hurt you a lot. It's the tradeoff for playing a weaker opponent you're more likely to beat; the payoff is commensurate with the odds.

[Q]Alternatively, maybe a team that has gone 4-8 and is just 13-10 in its division is the 4th best in the country.[/q]

Have you looked at their opponents? [slack.net] 11 of their 32 games were against Denver, CC, and Wisconsin, all ranked ahead of them in KRACH. That makes their ranking fairly consistent with their 20-12 overall record.

Posted by: Ken '70 (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: February 12, 2005 10:12AM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:

And keep in mind - if Minnesota keeps playing like they have this (calendar) year they won't end up a #1 seed, even if they almost certainly can't fail to get a tournament bid.[/q]

Looking at the individual PWR comparisons for MN it's hard to see how they lose more than 2 comparisons from here out, MI and BU being the only visible candidates.

To lose MI they need AA to become TUC and they have to be no better than .500 in their final series against Mich. Tech.

To lose BU they need to lose the RPI, which is doable, and have BU do no worse than a win and tie against MA next weekend.

But the key comparison is MI. Losing only BU will still put MN in a tie wth MI (if MI itself doesn't lose anymore) and MN will finish ahead based on the tie breaker.

For those of you thinking Cornell might finish ahead of MN, forget it. Cornell will lose the BC comparison it's now winning, will lose the MI comparison tonight if MI beats NO, can't flip MN itself, and is at risk of losing the OS comparison once OS plays MS and SLU drops from TUC (under the bonus scenario, SLU is already out of TUC without bonuses).

A final PWR with MN 4 and Cornell 5 is a nightmare for Cornell fans. Almost any scenario in which MN finishes 5 is a nightmare for the committee.

Posted by: jkahn (216.146.73.---)
Date: February 12, 2005 11:26AM

Why PWR is a joke (note: this is not an anti-Minnesota article, as I am a KRACH believer):
1) RPI, a very important factor in PWR, is not even internally consistent. RPI is 25% your winning percentage, 50% your opponents' winning %, and 25 % your opponents' opponents winning %. That last 75% is in there to factor in your strength of schedule. However, if RPI is really a better measure of a team's strength than winning %, why isn't that final 75% similarly divided into 3 parts, i.e., if a team had Cornell on its schedule, Cornell's strength should be factored in as 25% Cornell's record, 50% Cornell's opponent's record and 25% Cornells opp-opp record to be consistent (not 2/3 winning % and 1/3 opp. win %). I don't believe this would be right either, but just want to point out that opponent's record is very overweighted in the current system, and if RPI is supposedly a better measure than winning percentage, than something that resembles opponent's RPI should be the strength of schedule factor.
2) Here's a hypothethical. One team plays every team in the country and has a .750 record. Another team plays only the ten teams that have .750 records and ends up with a .500 record. Which team is better? It seems that the first is a .750 team and the second is just as good as the average .750 team. I believe they are equal. Yet RPI would rank the second team much higher.
[Note: there is a counter-argument here that since conference play forces percentages within a conference toward .500, that SOS need a higher weight.]
3) Is it really better to lose to Michigan Tech and beat Denver, than the opposite? I think if you go 1-1 it shouldn't matter whether you've beaten the strong team and lost to the weak or vice versa. The TUC concept however, makes losses to weak teams count less than losses to strong teams.
4) The whole concept of the TUC cutoff introduces strange variations as opponents go in and out of TUC-land. In the interest of brevity, I won't give examples - but merely indicate that a step function (TUC, non-TUC) causes all sorts of aberrations.
5) Any system where there is a possibility that you can look back at the end of the season and say that a team would have been better off tying or losing a game than winning it is not a good system.

In addition to the above, since non-conference records of teams in your conference plays a very significant role in strength of schedule (75% of the RPI), the ECAC is at a decided disadvantage because many of its teams are playing these games much earlier in the season than the opponents. When we opened at OSU in '02-'03, I think it was their 7th game.

Date: February 12, 2005 11:55AM

[Q]Ken '70 Wrote:
For those of you thinking Cornell might finish ahead of MN, forget it. Cornell will lose the BC comparison it's now winning, will lose the MI comparison tonight if MI beats NO, can't flip MN itself, and is at risk of losing the OS comparison once OS plays MS and SLU drops from TUC (under the bonus scenario, SLU is already out of TUC without bonuses).

A final PWR with MN 4 and Cornell 5 is a nightmare for Cornell fans. Almost any scenario in which MN finishes 5 is a nightmare for the committee.[/Q]
I don't know if we can finish ahead of them, but we *can* win our comparison against MN. All we need to do it take TUC. We can't do it ourself, but we can with a little help from Minn. We can get one more TUC win against SLU, assuming they can keep themselves a TUC.

Minn, meanwhile, can help make UAA a TUC, especially if they lose to them again tonight, and that would add 2 loses (hypothetically) to their TUC column. They also play SCSU, who just beat CC tonight, and with the way Minn has been playing, they could easily lose those. Are at least one. At 2 loses to UAA, and 2 to SCSU, or even 1-3 total, plus a win for us, and I believe we could flip the comparison with Minn.

Keeping SLU a TUC might be harder than we'd like. There's no way to know if the committee ads RPI bonuses to everyone, or if they might just do it for TUCs - either intentionally, or just by neglect, thinking it wouldn't matter when it really would.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2005 01:39PM by DeltaOne81.

Date: February 12, 2005 12:37PM

[Q]jkahn Wrote:

Why PWR is a joke (note: this is not an anti-Minnesota article, as I am a KRACH believer):
1) RPI, a very important factor in PWR, is not even internally consistent. RPI is 25% your winning percentage, 50% your opponents' winning %, and 25 % your opponents' opponents winning %. That last 75% is in there to factor in your strength of schedule. However, if RPI is really a better measure of a team's strength than winning %, why isn't that final 75% similarly divided into 3 parts, i.e., if a team had Cornell on its schedule, Cornell's strength should be factored in as 25% Cornell's record, 50% Cornell's opponent's record and 25% Cornells opp-opp record to be consistent (not 2/3 winning % and 1/3 opp. win %). I don't believe this would be right either, but just want to point out that opponent's record is very overweighted in the current system, and if RPI is supposedly a better measure than winning percentage, than something that resembles opponent's RPI should be the strength of schedule factor.
2) Here's a hypothethical. One team plays every team in the country and has a .750 record. Another team plays only the ten teams that have .750 records and ends up with a .500 record. Which team is better? It seems that the first is a .750 team and the second is just as good as the average .750 team. I believe they are equal. Yet RPI would rank the second team much higher.

3) Is it really better to lose to Michigan Tech and beat Denver, than the opposite? I think if you go 1-1 it shouldn't matter whether you've beaten the strong team and lost to the weak or vice versa. The TUC concept however, makes losses to weak teams count less than losses to strong teams.
4) The whole concept of the TUC cutoff introduces strange variations as opponents go in and out of TUC-land. In the interest of brevity, I won't give examples - but merely indicate that a step function (TUC, non-TUC) causes all sorts of aberrations.
5) Any system where there is a possibility that you can look back at the end of the season and say that a team would have been better off tying or losing a game than winning it is not a good system.

In addition to the above, since non-conference records of teams in your conference plays a very significant role in strength of schedule (75% of the RPI), the ECAC is at a decided disadvantage because many of its teams are playing these games much earlier in the season than the opponents. When we opened at OSU in '02-'03, I think it was their 7th game.[/q]

Where to begin? At the beggining I guess...

1) I don't really get your logic here except that it's a complaint against RPI, of which there are many. Are you suggesting RPI include 4 categories now, adding an OpOpOp?
2) You don't know what team RPI would rank higher because you haven't considered the OpOp records of either team. The second team's opponents may have been playing cupcakes to get their .750 record, and the RPI would rank them lower than the first team.
3) TUC is only part of the PWR, and fits very nicely in the overall picture. Losses to non-TUC teams figure in all of the other PWR components. This component seeks to give particular weight to how a team does against the good teams. RPI and COP include records against non-TUC.
4) Is your complaint about how a team gets to be TUC? It used to be on winning record at or above .500. It was changed a few years ago to RPI. In either case, if you want to have a consideration of how a team does against good teams you need a way defining what a good team is. And yes, teams move in and out of that catagory. How could it be otherwise?
5) Under what circumstance does PWR reward a team for losing a game?

Non-conference records of a particular team are not necessarily of more or less importance than conference records. They're only more important if your conference mates do lousy out of conference themselves. If they do well out of conference, then your conference record may be more important (because of its high SOS) than your out of conference.

Date: February 12, 2005 12:38PM

Oh, one other thing. I dunno, lately, I wouldn't be too afraid of meeting Minn, even in Mariucci. They've just not been playing well lately. That can turn around, of course, but the way they've been playing, they shouldn't be too scary for anyone anywhere. Sure, in one game, you could deflinitely lose, but they could definitely definitely lose.

Date: February 12, 2005 12:54PM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:

KeithK Wrote:

A final PWR with MN 4 and Cornell 5 is a nightmare for Cornell fans. Almost any scenario in which MN finishes 5 is a nightmare for the committee.[/Q]
I don't know if we can finish ahead of them, but we *can* win our comparison against MN. All we need to do it take TUC. We can't do it ourself, but we can with a little help from Minn. We can get one more TUC win against SLU, assuming they can keep themselves a TUC.

Minn, meanwhile, can help make UAA a TUC, especially if they lose to them again tonight, and that would add 2 loses (hypothetically) to their TUC column. They also play SCSU, who just beat CC tonight, and with the way Minn has been playing, they could easily lose those. Are at least one. At 2 loses to UAA, and 2 to SCSU, or even 1-3 total, plus a win for us, and I believe we could flip the comparison with Minn.

Keeping SLU a TUC might be harder than we'd like. There's no way to know if the committee ads RPI bonuses to everyone, or if they might just do it for TUCs - either intentionally, or just by neglect, thinking it wouldn't matter when it really would.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 02/12/05 12:36PM by DeltaOne81.[/q]

First of all, KeithK didn't write the original quote, I did ("I don't care what you say about me as long as you spell my name right";).

Second, all we need to do is take TUC and RPI! While the winning % of MN and Cornell's Ops are about the same from now to then end of the RS, MN's OpOP is much stronger and they're starting out ahead of us (.5867 to .5847 under a 3-2-1 bonus as of this morning).

While it's not impossible that: AA becomes TUC plus MN loses 3 of 4 to AA and SCSU plus SLU stays TUC; it is extraordinarily low, isn't it?

Hence my belief that, reasonably, we can't flip the MN comparison.

Date: February 12, 2005 01:21PM

[Q]Ken '70 Wrote:
1) I don't really get your logic here except that it's a complaint against RPI, of which there are many. Are you suggesting RPI include 4 categories now, adding an OpOpOp?
[/Q]
I think what Jeff's getting at is a "recursive RPI" something like the RHEAL rating that Wayne Smith calculates [maine.edu]

For example, you could say a team's RRPI is 25% that team's winning percentage and 75% the average RRPIs of their opponents. (Of course, if you're going to use recursion, why not switch to KRACH and be done with it.)

[Q]
3) TUC is only part of the PWR, and fits very nicely in the overall picture. Losses to non-TUC teams figure in all of the other PWR components. This component seeks to give particular weight to how a team does against the good teams. RPI and COP include records against non-TUC.
[/Q]

But they also include records against TUC, so those games matter more. Lately I've come around to the point of view that any reasonable rating system should be set up so that if you applied it to a balanced schedule (like the ECAC regular season) it would give the same standings as winning percentage. The ECAC rewards wins against stronger teams, but only as a tiebreaker.

[Q]
4) Is your complaint about how a team gets to be TUC? It used to be on winning record at or above .500. It was changed a few years ago to RPI. In either case, if you want to have a consideration of how a team does against good teams you need a way defining what a good team is. And yes, teams move in and out of that catagory. How could it be otherwise?
[/Q]

Well, you could use a gradual weighting, like calculating a weighted average winning percentage by opponents' RPI. This is sort of what HEAL and RHEAL do, except they don't consider the strength of teams you lose to at all.

[Q]
5) Under what circumstance does PWR reward a team for losing a game?
[/Q]

Suppose Minnesota goes 4-0 against St. Cloud in the WCHA regular season and then draws them in the WCHA playoffs. And suppose St. Cloud is right on the cusp of being a TUC, and Minnesota's record vs TUCs determines the outcome of a critical comparison. It may be that if Minnesota sweeps SCSU, SCSU ends up not being a TUC and Minnesota loses the comparison. But if they win in three games, the extra win helps SCSU stay a TUC, adding six wins and only one loss to Minnesota's record vs TUCs, flipping the comparison, while the hit in RPI due to the extra loss doesn't end up changing any comparisons. Then Minnesota does better in the PWR because of losing the extra game than if they'd won the series 2-0 and not played it.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: February 12, 2005 01:36PM

You can say what you want about the way Minnesota has been playing lately (and hell, I'll do the same), but come tournament time I still don't want to play them on their (200x100, incidentally) home ice.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2005 01:36PM by jmh30.

Date: February 12, 2005 01:43PM

[Q]Ken '70 Wrote:
While it's not impossible that: AA becomes TUC plus MN loses 3 of 4 to AA and SCSU plus SLU stays TUC; it is extraordinarily low, isn't it?

Hence my belief that, reasonably, we can't flip the MN comparison.
[/q]
Sorry about the misquote. Orignally I had quoted my own post and became confused while editing it :)

Well, right now its not 3 out of 4, its 2 out of 3. Tonight is particularly important to maybe make UAA a TUC. So its tonight, and 1 out of 2, for a team that's not doing so great. SLU staying a TUC there's a distinct chance. Now I'm not saying that all of those are likely, but they're all very possible, and the possibility of all three is not "extraordinarily low". I wouldn't put even money on it, but I think at the rate that Minnesota has been going, I would be far from surprised if it happened.

Posted by: jkahn (216.146.73.---)
Date: February 12, 2005 03:03PM

[Q] Ken '70 wrote in response to my post:

[/q]
My point is that if the committee truly believes that RPI as currently defined, using only 25% of a team's winning percentage and 75% SOS, is a good measure of a team's strength - then when each opponent is factored into to SOS, shouldn't their strength factors be weighted similarly. My main point is that RPI is internally inconsistent - for instance right now Cornell and Minnesota have the same RPI, but if RPI is a true measure of the team's abilities, then when calculating a third team's RPI, shouldn't playing Cornell or Minnesota be equal in terms of how it factors into that team's SOS which makes up 75% of its RPI.
As JTW suggests, I was moving toward recursive RPI, except that I deliberately stopped somewhat short of that, so the committee would have a simpler formula. I'm really not advocating my formula, but just using it to explain faults in the current one. Personally, I love the mathematical elegance of KRACH, and believe by far that it is the fairest ranking of teams.

One other point though. The reason we have a national tournament is to see how teams in different parts of the country who don't play each other very often will do against each other. As such, perhaps, given that six team conferences get one bid, a twelve team conference should be guaranteed two bids - it would help make for a more national tournament.

Posted by: Steve M (4.29.49.---)
Date: February 12, 2005 04:12PM

I would say it's likely that SCSU takes at least one of two games against the Gophers. They typically play Minny tough and took them to OT earlier in the season when the Gophers were on fire. Also SCSU KOd CC on the road, and Minnesota has been struggling. So if UAA can pull off another upset tonight, the chances for CU to overtake them are decent.

Posted by: adamw (209.71.42.---)
Date: February 12, 2005 05:06PM

[Q]jkahn Wrote:
One other point though. The reason we have a national tournament is to see how teams in different parts of the country who don't play each other very often will do against each other. As such, perhaps, given that six team conferences get one bid, a twelve team conference should be guaranteed two bids - it would help make for a more national tournament.[/q]

That would happen if the Ivies split off, creating 2 separate 6-team conferences. Something a few people have endorsed, but that I don't like.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: February 12, 2005 05:39PM

[Q]jmh30 Wrote:

You can say what you want about the way Minnesota has been playing lately (and hell, I'll do the same), but come tournament time I still don't want to play them on their (200x100, incidentally) home ice.
[/q]

Neither would I be all too excited about playing them at the Mullins Center, where the dimensions are (a very strange) 200x95. Unfortunately, I think that if we end up being a #1 seed, we'll likely get stuck in Amherst.

Being in Chicago, I'm cheering, selfishly, for Grand Rapids. That would also mean that we're a #2 seed and have avoided meeting Wisconsin--the most undervalued team by PWR when compared against KRACH--in the first round and likely the second. Personally, my hope is to be the #2 seed in Worcester: first round payback vs. UNH and confirm a streak vs. BC in the second. Or, even better, BU ends up as a #4 seed, cranking BC out of Worcester and we end up with, say, Minnesota in the second round, sent out East and playing on a smaller surface than they're used to.

Date: February 12, 2005 05:49PM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:

1) I think what Jeff's getting at is a "recursive RPI" something like the RHEAL rating that Wayne Smith calculates

For example, you could say a team's RRPI is 25% that team's winning percentage and 75% the average RRPIs of their opponents. (Of course, if you're going to use recursion, why not switch to KRACH and be done with it.)

2) Lately I've come around to the point of view that any reasonable rating system should be set up so that if you applied it to a balanced schedule (like the ECAC regular season) it would give the same standings as winning percentage. The ECAC rewards wins against stronger teams, but only as a tiebreaker.

3) Well, you could use a gradual weighting, like calculating a weighted average winning percentage by opponents' RPI. This is sort of what HEAL and RHEAL do, except they don't consider the strength of teams you lose to at all.

4) Under what circumstance does PWR reward a team for losing a game?
[/Q]
Suppose Minnesota goes 4-0 against St. Cloud in the WCHA regular season and then draws them in the WCHA playoffs. And suppose St. Cloud is right on the cusp of being a TUC, and Minnesota's record vs TUCs determines the outcome of a critical comparison. It may be that if Minnesota sweeps SCSU, SCSU ends up not being a TUC and Minnesota loses the comparison. But if they win in three games, the extra win helps SCSU stay a TUC, adding six wins and only one loss to Minnesota's record vs TUCs, flipping the comparison, while the hit in RPI due to the extra loss doesn't end up changing any comparisons. Then Minnesota does better in the PWR because of losing the extra game than if they'd won the series 2-0 and not played it.[/q]

1) I read this thread as a plaint against PWR as a totality, how its components play against each other and somehow work against determining the best teams. I'm not a particular proponent of RPI over KRACH or another approach to performance vs SOS. But one is needed, and it will not suffice by itself instead of the more comprehensive PWR.

2) To pick the best, and sort them in some way among themselves, you need a tool that measures their performance against other very good teams instead of the universe of teams. TUC does that.

3) Even with a gradual weighting you'll have teams moving up and down on a nightly basis. Less volatile for sure, might be worth a look. (But it would sure be a lot less fun. I've got my eye on WMU and BGSU right now, dropping those from TUC will cripple MI's TUC record and take a lot of uncertainty out of their comparison with Cornell - let's go OS and NM - yeeha!).

4) Losing to a higher ranked team doesn't always lower your RPI. Merrimack lost to BC last night and their RPI went up. Even if SCSU dropped from TUC the damage to MN's RPI would be significant and their COP comparisons would suffer. In theory, OK it's possible. But I can't imagine the outcome being so unambiguous, or a college team so craven, that they'd tank a game upon that prospect.

Date: February 12, 2005 05:58PM

[Q]Scersk '97 Wrote:

Being in Chicago, I'm cheering, selfishly, for Grand Rapids. That would also mean that we're a #2 seed and have avoided meeting Wisconsin--the most undervalued team by PWR when compared against KRACH--in the first round and likely the second. Personally, my hope is to be the #2 seed in Worcester: first round payback vs. UNH and confirm a streak vs. BC in the second. Or, even better, BU ends up as a #4 seed, cranking BC out of Worcester and we end up with, say, Minnesota in the second round, sent out East and playing on a smaller surface than they're used to.[/q]

If MN makes the tournament they have to play in Minneapolis.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: February 12, 2005 06:00PM

Oh, yeah... duh. I guess I'd hope for CC, then. For me, the great victory in seeding will be to somehow avoid Denver and Wisconsin.

Actually, I'll edit myself again. I'd rather avoid CC and Wisconsin and play Denver. We're very good at holding teams off 5x5, but I want to avoid the teams that have similarly good special teams to ours.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2005 06:10PM by Scersk '97.

Date: February 12, 2005 08:42PM

It's not the AA becoming TUC or MN losing 2 out of the next 3 that's extraordinarily remote, it's SLU staying TUC. If you think MN is on a crummy streak, take a look at the Saints.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login