Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Ivy League Championship Question

Posted by CornellChris 
Ivy League Championship Question
Posted by: CornellChris (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 05, 2005 07:01PM

Hey everybody,

This is my first post. I recently discovered this site and can already tell I'll be spending a lot of time here!

I had a quick question about the Ivy League title... Am I correct in saying that even if Cornell wins out the rest of the season and wins the ECAC, they could still LOSE the Ivy title if Harvard doesn't lose (or tie) another of their Ivy games?

I was confused about that and was hoping someone could clarify. Thanks for the help, and I look forward to chatting with everybody as Cornell continues their march towards the Frozen Four!

Thanks again,
Chris '03

Re: Ivy League Championship Question
Posted by: Greg Berge (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: February 05, 2005 07:05PM

Yes, that is correct: [www.tbrw.info]

Date: February 05, 2005 07:08PM

Darn. I was hoping I was wrong. Thanks for the answer though.

Then again, we won a share of the Ivy title last year, only to stay at home come tourney time. As such, I'd gladly take the reverse this season: Harvard wins the Ivy, but gets to watch us on TV in the Frozen Four.

I remain hopeful that Dartmouth (or Brown?) can beat Harvard though!

-Chris '03

Date: February 05, 2005 07:15PM

PS: Is TBRW your site? I just discovered that site too (via an ELynah link) and have already spent an insane amount of time there. Needless to say, I love it!

Take Care,
Chris '03

Posted by: Chris 02 (---.icsincorporated.com)
Date: February 05, 2005 07:19PM

Harvard definitely has the harder games left. One against Dartmouth and one against Brown, but Cornell just has Yale and Princeton.

Posted by: Robb (---.169.137.235.ts46v-07.otnc1.ftwrth.tx.charter.co)
Date: February 05, 2005 08:09PM

TBRW is Greg's site.

<Robb bows to Greg>

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: February 05, 2005 08:37PM

Games at Yale have historically not been easy for us. uhoh

Date: February 06, 2005 12:39AM

[Q]CornellChris Wrote:

PS: Is TBRW your site? I just discovered that site too (via an ELynah link) and have already spent an insane amount of time there. Needless to say, I love it!

Take Care,
Chris '03
[/q]

Thanks, Chris. Yes, TBRW is my site. I have spent an insane amount of time there, too. ;-)

Posted by: Beeeej (---.bc.yu.edu)
Date: February 06, 2005 02:41PM

A bit of further explanation:

Although it would be nice to win the Ivy title, it's not something we tend to care about. Since only half the ECACHL teams are Ivy, it's not that difficult or unusual for an Ivy to win the ECACHL regular season and/or tournament titles while still losing just enough Ivy games not to win that title. And since the tournament titles are what we really care about, since that's what NCAA bids are based upon - and the Ivy title is just a round-robin thing - nobody gives it too much thought.

Basically, in the context of college hockey, the Ivy title is what we used to refer to, in the heyday of Hockey-L, as a "ceramic dalmation" - an award that's pretty and nice to have, but means nothing. If the Ivies split off as their own hockey conference and got an auto-bid to the NCAAs, it'd be different.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: February 06, 2005 05:11PM

[Q]Beeeej Wrote:
Basically, in the context of college hockey, the Ivy title is what we used to refer to, in the heyday of Hockey-L, as a "ceramic dalmation" - an award that's pretty and nice to have, but means nothing. If the Ivies split off as their own hockey conference and got an auto-bid to the NCAAs, it'd be different.

[/q]
Agree. Though it is mildly annoying to see "Ivy League Champion" banners hanging in Watson Rink...I mean Bright.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 06, 2005 08:53PM

[Q]Al DeFlorio Wrote:

Beeeej Wrote:

[/Q]
Agree. Though it is mildly annoying to see "Ivy League Champion" banners hanging in Watson Rink...I mean Bright.[/q]
Not as annoying as "ECAC Final Four" ones that I've seen in some other rinks.

Date: February 06, 2005 10:34PM

[Q]Beeeej Wrote:

A bit of further explanation:

Although it would be nice to win the Ivy title, it's not something we tend to care about. Since only half the ECACHL teams are Ivy, it's not that difficult or unusual for an Ivy to win the ECACHL regular season and/or tournament titles while still losing just enough Ivy games not to win that title. And since the tournament titles are what we really care about, since that's what NCAA bids are based upon - and the Ivy title is just a round-robin thing - nobody gives it too much thought.

Beeeej[/q]

Careful with that "we" there, son. Plenty of us care about winning the Ivy title (and the ECAC RS title). The NCAA Tourny is not the sole criterion for value.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: February 07, 2005 12:02AM

Agreed. I too care about winning the Ivy title. Given the choice between winning the ECACs and the Ivy crown I'd take the ECACs, but it's still nice to finish ahead of Harvard, et al and to hang a banner.

Posted by: Robb (---.169.137.235.ts46v-07.otnc1.ftwrth.tx.charter.co)
Date: February 07, 2005 07:54AM

I like the Ivy title, too - if only for the banners... If Mike keeps hanging banners at his current pace, we're going to have to expand Lynah just to hold THEM!

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: February 07, 2005 08:35AM

[Q]Robb Wrote:

I like the Ivy title, too - if only for the banners... If Mike keeps hanging banners at his current pace, we're going to have to expand Lynah just to hold THEM![/q]

Or take down the "NCAA TOURNAMENT" banners.

@jtwcornell91@hostux.social

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login