Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

RPI follows Clarkson and St Lawrence games with suspensions

Posted by marty 
RPI follows Clarkson and St Lawrence games with suspensions
Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2005 11:10PM

I haven't seen this linked on ELynah. I hope this isn't a repetitive:

[timesunion.com]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2005 11:11PM by marty.

Re: RPI follows Clarkson and St Lawrence games with suspensions
Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 03, 2005 12:06AM

As people on the USCHO message board had remarked, this is effectively a non-story. The guys owned up to their crime and did the time. No scandal.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: February 03, 2005 12:35AM

I'm inclined to say that it's still a story even if it's not a scandal. :-P

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 03, 2005 08:02AM

RPI of course can have team rules saying no booze on the bus. But overall the 21-year drinking law is an ass. There's no way you can stop 18- to 20-year-olds from drinking. The ex-President of Middlebury, John M. McCardell Jr., said in an Op-Ed piece in The New York Tiimes last fall [query.nytimes.com] (the link is to a fee not free page) that there were two things he should have spoken out against more forcefully during his term as president:

- Lifetime tenure for faculty
>>> tenure is a great solution to the problems of the 1940's, when the faculty was mostly male and academic freedom was at genuine risk. Why must institutions make a judgment that has lifetime consequences after a mere six or seven years? ... Why not a system of contracts of varying length, including lifetime for the most valuable colleagues? [One will note he waited until after he retired and was safely away from the Middlebury facility, ensconsed in Beaufort, SC, before writing this.]

- The 21-year-drinking age
>>> ... the 21-year-old drinking age is bad social policy and terrible law. It is astonishing that college students have thus far acquiesced in so egregious an abridgment of the age of majority. Unfortunately, this acquiescence has taken the form of binge drinking. Campuses have become, depending on the enthusiasm of local law enforcement, either arms of the law or havens from the law. Neither state is desirable. State legislators, many of whom will admit the law is bad, are held hostage by the denial of federal highway funds if they reduce the drinking age. Our latter-day prohibitionists have driven drinking behind closed doors and underground. This is the hard lesson of prohibition that each generation must relearn. No college president will say that drinking has become less of a problem in the years since the age was raised. ... Colleges should be given the chance to educate students, who in all other respects are adults, in the appropriate use of alcohol, within campus boundaries and out in the open. And please -- hold your fire about drunken driving. I am a charter member of Presidents Against Drunk Driving. This has nothing to do with drunken driving. If it did, we'd raise the driving age to 21. That would surely solve the problem.

As for the instance of the RPI skaters who drank a bottle of hard (hard, apparently) liquor on the bus, they broke team rules, yes, but those rules were probably in no small part the result of the 21-year drinking age. Older Cornellians may recall teams stopped for beers on the way back from away games. Sitting in the back of a bus having a couple beers on the way back from some godforsaken place such as Potsdam seems harmless enough.

And, sheesh, guys, why'd you leave the empty on the bus for the coach to find? That's the dumbest thing of all, especially for a team where (the Albany paper says) virtually everyone is on the dean's list.

Nice article by Morosi. The man has talent, even if he is from Harvard.

(Sorry if this saddens anyone who's had a personal tragedy because of alcohol. I was hit and rolled by a drunk when I was 16 (the police drove him home, no charges filed; he was important in the community) and I learned a powerful lesson: If the car isn't on fire, don't be in a hurry to press the seat belt release when you're upside down. About ten years later a woman on I-91 in the car ahead of me, unbelted, was hit and killed by a wrong way driver.)

Posted by: Nate 04 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: February 03, 2005 08:30AM

I think the most scandalous thing about this is that guys who owned up to their mistake were suspended for two league games (no objection here), but the UND guy who was arrested (2 games) for drunk driving and the canisius players (2 exhibition games) received relatively lighter punishments for more serious offenses.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 03, 2005 10:58AM

[Q]Nate 04 Wrote:

I think the most scandalous thing about this is that guys who owned up to their mistake were suspended for two league games (no objection here), but the UND guy who was arrested (2 games) for drunk driving and the canisius players (2 exhibition games) received relatively lighter punishments for more serious offenses.[/q]

Agreed. The UND guy missed the all-too-important game against Bemidji State. I'm sure they really missed him in that game. rolleyes

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: February 03, 2005 11:02AM

Academic freedom is no longer as much at risk in large part *because* of lifetime tenure. To say we don't need it anymore is like saying we shouldn't immunize against measles because it isn't as big a problem as it used to be. screwy

Posted by: RichS (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 03, 2005 11:57AM

Before you think that drinking on the bus is harmless, you should put yourself in a coach's shoes and consider his responsibilities in the matter. Those kids may well be driving when they get off the bus. Guess who would be held responsible if an accident were to occur ?

And oh...Potsdam is no less "God forsaken" than Ithaca. rolleyes

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: February 03, 2005 12:00PM

[q]As for the instance of the RPI skaters who drank a bottle of hard (hard, apparently) liquor on the bus, they broke team rules, yes, but those rules were probably in no small part the result of the 21-year drinking age.[/q]If the drinking age were reduced to 18 it would still be prudent to not permit drinking on the team bus for liability reasons. The school is responsible for what happens while on road trips.

[q]And, sheesh, guys, why'd you leave the empty on the bus for the coach to find? That's the dumbest thing of all, especially for a team where (the Albany paper says) virtually everyone is on the dean's list.[/q]Um, because they were drunk?

Posted by: ben03 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: February 03, 2005 01:38PM

[Q]RichS Wrote:
And oh...Potsdam is no less "God forsaken" than Ithaca.[/q]
hey Rich, get over yourself for a second and realize you are not telling us anything we don't know already.
BTW, Potsdam is pretty damn "God forsaken" ... i mean c'mon who are you kidding Canton is nicer than Potsdam twak

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2005 03:02PM by ben03.

Date: February 03, 2005 04:24PM

Ben,

Stop and think a minute.

For one thing, apparently not everyone "knows" since it was said that the drinking was "harmless enough". As a HS coach I know I'll be held responsible for whatever happens on a bus, in a locker room, or at the rink. Even if it's not fair, you can bet some Mom or dad will want to sue a coach or a district should anything happen to their child.

You think it's any different at the college level?

Canton better than Potsdam.? Well, only if you think Pizza Hut gives the former an edge! .rolleyes

Take off your carnellian glasses and take a real look at downtown Ithaca. I grew up in Binghamton many years ago and visited cornell and Ithaca many times in the past and it's been downhill for Ithaca for many years now

Posted by: RichH (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 03, 2005 04:29PM

[Q]RichS Wrote:
Take off your carnellian glasses and take a real look at downtown Ithaca. I grew up in Binghamton many years ago and visited cornell and Ithaca many times in the past and it's been downhill for Ithaca for many years now [/q]

I didn't see Ben say anything about Ithaca. Only god-forsaken Potsdam. :-}

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: February 03, 2005 04:39PM

RichS,

To be serious, although downtown Ithaca went through a mini-depression and was looking pretty skanky in the late 80's through mid 90's, it's rebounded. There are also a lot of lovely areas throughout Ithaca and Tompkins County. The Center of Crappiness has now moved up the hill and is located in quickly disappearing Collegetown, official motto, "What's Character When You Can Put Up Another 6 Story Residential Veal Fattening Pen"?

I've only seen Potsdam for hockey, which means (1) I haven't been paying attention to anything but finding Cheel or being pissed off after losing to Clarkson and (2) I have only seen it in the dead of winter, but it's an okay town AFAIC. I think the hosing down you take on the board is attributable to rivalry with tongue firmly planted in cheek. Hopefully you take it this way.

Date: February 03, 2005 04:47PM

[Q]RichS Wrote:
Ben,

Stop and think a minute.

For one thing, apparently not everyone "knows" since it was said that the drinking was "harmless enough". As a HS coach I know I'll be held responsible for whatever happens on a bus, in a locker room, or at the rink. Even if it's not fair, you can bet some Mom or dad will want to sue a coach or a district should anything happen to their child.

You think it's any different at the college level?

Canton better than Potsdam.? Well, only if you think Pizza Hut gives the former an edge! .

Take off your carnellian glasses and take a real look at downtown Ithaca. I grew up in Binghamton many years ago and visited cornell and Ithaca many times in the past and it's been downhill for Ithaca for many years now [/q]
Rich, i guess they don't teach sarcasm 101 in Potsdam ... and i never disagreed with the drinking part of your statement, did i? didn't think so :-) moving on ...

Date: February 03, 2005 04:53PM

Ben,

You said I was telling you something everyone already knew. Obviously thets not so since one person characterized the drinking as "harmless". I never said YOU disagreed with the drinking part.

Do they teach Reading comp at cornell? rolleyes

And right RichH, Ben did not mention Ithaca. I did...it's just as God forsaken downtown if not more so than the North Country. Actually, the NC is a lot closer to being "God's Country.

Ok, that's enough sarcasm I think. I have HS hockey to go watch now. :-D

Date: February 03, 2005 05:12PM

Alright rich let's have a little recap, here's what i actually said:
[Q]ben03 Wrote:

RichS Wrote:
And oh...Potsdam is no less "God forsaken" than Ithaca.[/Q]
hey Rich, get over yourself for a second and realize you are not telling us anything we don't know already.
BTW, Potsdam is pretty damn "God forsaken" ... i mean c'mon who are you kidding Canton is nicer than Potsdam[/q]
my reading comp is just fine thanks ... i think you are the one that needs to read the words on the page and not the ones you think are there. my statement was in direct reference to the quoted segment w/in my post and nothing else. i think it's time to get off your horse.
[Q]RichS Wrote:
Ben,
You said I was telling you something everyone already knew. Obviously thets not so since one person characterized the drinking as "harmless". I never said YOU disagreed with the drinking part.
Do they teach Reading comp at cornell?
And right RichH, Ben did not mention Ithaca. I did...it's just as God forsaken downtown if not more so than the North Country. Actually, the NC is a lot closer to being "God's Country.
Ok, that's enough sarcasm I think. I have HS hockey to go watch now. [/q]
... and apparently they don't teach sarcasm or reading comp up there in "God forsaken" Potsdam ... must be that whole tech thing. whistle

Posted by: Pete Godenschwager (---.chem.cornell.edu)
Date: February 03, 2005 05:20PM

popcorn

Date: February 03, 2005 08:37PM

[Further OT] Academic tenure ought to at least be a topic for ongoing discussion unless we believe lifetime tenure has only upsides and no downsides. From the outside, a lot of people wonder: Once a professor gets tenure, how many explore their newfound freedoms and continue to grow, and how many coast?

Is it possible - and this is a Forbes / WSJ kind of argument, the law of reverse consequences - that tenure ultimately provides for less job security and longevity overall - that maybe it drives colleges to reduce the number of professorships, including non-tenured but potentially longer term contractual professorships, in favor of low-paid lecturer positions, maybe without much in the way of benefits, to compensate?

Just wanted to toss a little more gasoline on the embers ...

Re: Recap
Date: February 03, 2005 10:59PM

[Q]ben03 Wrote:

ben03 Wrote:

my reading comp is just fine thanks ... i think you are the one that needs to read the words on the page and not the ones you think are there. my statement was in direct reference to the quoted segment w/in my post and nothing else. i think it's time to get off your horse.

[/Q]
... and apparently they don't teach sarcasm or reading comp up there in "God forsaken" Potsdam ... must be that whole tech thing.[/q

Nice recap Ben. Of course you omitted the part that I originally replied to, i.e., that someone called drinking on the bus harmless. It wasn't me that started calling towns "God forsaken".

I learned all about sarcasm and reading comp well before I went to Clarkson. If you honed your reading comp at cornell, either go back for a refresher course or get a refund. :-D

Oh, and who's on a horse? Me thinks you're the one doing the pontificating here riding high on a horse. Must be that whole AG School thing.

By the way, don't they teach you to use Caps at cornell? rolleyes

Have a nice night.

Date: February 03, 2005 11:03PM

Greg,

Thanks for the update. I haven't seen all that much of the other areas in recent visits but last time I was in downtown Ithaca (2003), that main shopping drag looked pretty shabby.

And yes, I take it as tongue in cheek. I love this rivalry and have done so since 2/2/71. You can look it up! :-)

Re: RE-Recap
Date: February 04, 2005 12:25AM

****WARNING THIS POST CONTAINS SEMI-SARCASM: READ AT YOUR OWN RISK ****
[Q]RichS Wrote:
ben03 Wrote:
... and apparently they don't teach sarcasm or reading comp up there in "God forsaken" Potsdam ... must be that whole tech thing.[/q]
Nice recap Ben. Of course you omitted the part that I originally replied to, i.e., that someone called drinking on the bus harmless. It wasn't me that started calling towns "God forsaken".
I learned all about sarcasm and reading comp well before I went to Clarkson. If you honed your reading comp at cornell, either go back for a refresher course or get a refund.
Oh, and who's on a horse? Me thinks you're the one doing the pontificating here riding high on a horse. Must be that whole AG School thing.
By the way, don't they teach you to use Caps at cornell?
Have a nice night.[/q]
so i'm trying to follow you here rich and i'm having a little trouble (scratch that) a lot of trouble.

first, i could give a monkey's a$$ what you originally replied to ... i was replying to your jab at ithaca and nothing else (even if you didn’t start that one … bill whistle ). second, i NEVER disagreed with your comments about drinking. trust me i am well aware of the consequences of drinking and driving (and for those who were wondering … i do not drink). third, you're pretty damn touchy if you take every little poke at Potsdam and/or Clarkson as a direct shot at you (possibly some issues here dude ... might want to get those checked out). fact is ... you are sooooo VERY predictable and you make it WAY TOO easy to get a rise out of (almost too easy).
i thank you for continually illustrating this point with your replies (can you tell i am an older sibling? :-P) … and i only give you/Clarkson/Potsdam $hit b/c you’re team is good (scratch that) was good and will be again (hopefully later than sonner, preferably never again).

so let's try this recap thing again, shall we?

(a) drinking on a team trip = BAD. seen it firsthand … played on more than a few teams in my life (albeit somewhat shorter life than some on this board ;-) ).

(b), potsdam, ithaca, canton, troy, hanover (sorry dart~ben), new haven etc … are all to some extent "God forsaken" i don’t think anyone’s arguing that.

(c) RichS is an easy target and v. predictable (WARNING: engage at your own peril).

(d) i guess you’re going to make me reiterate …MY SARCASM AND READING COMPERHENTION ARE JUST FINE THANK YOU FOR THE CONCERN ... there’s no need for a refund. sorry for the yelling, RichS is having a hard time hearing ... i mean reading (it's that tech thing again).

(e) i don't ride horses

(f) i was not in the Ag school

(g) i'm well aware of the use of capitals ... i just CHOOSE (that one’s for you Erica) to use them sparingly for emphasis. or maybe it’s all a big conspiracy JUST TO PISS YOU OFF which is a possibility. upto

(h) … i hope the other readers have gotten a bit of a laugh reading our little spat

hope that clears things up ... i almost forgot colgate sucks!

~ttfn

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2005 12:27AM by ben03.

Date: February 04, 2005 01:30AM

Extra large popcorn with real butter.

And for those who might stumble on this thread sometime in the near or distant future I will copy Jon's article here because it will disappear from the link in the first message in a few more days.

Also note that the situation that unfolded for RIP last weekend may have cost them one or both games. They lost to Vermont by a goal and to a good Dartmouth team (that pasted them at home 9-1 three weeks earlier) by two. This after looking like the most putrid club in the league for most of the last two months.

[Q]
RPI hockey players kept out for drinking
Three seniors, including co-captain, put on suspension for two games

By JON PAUL MOROSI, Staff writer
First published: Monday, January 31, 2005

Two weekends ago, RPI earned its first road sweep of Clarkson and St. Lawrence in 20 years, while winning back-to-back league games for the first time this season.

"The guys were really excited," said senior co-captain Nick Economakos. "Unfortunately, we got overexcited, and it affected our judgment."

In what Economakos called a "temporary mistake in judgment," he and senior teammates Matt McNeely and Blake Pickett consumed a bottle of liquor, given to them by a friend, on the team's trip back from Potsdam through the night of Jan. 22 and early morning hours of Jan. 23. The three players -- all regulars -- were suspended for two days of practice and the team's trip to Vermont and Dartmouth this past weekend.

The Engineers lost both games. They are tied for ninth in the ECAC Hockey League.

"It was a shame we took away our team's momentum by doing that," Economakos told the Times Union on Sunday.

According to athletic director Ken Ralph, RPI student-athletes -- even those of legal drinking age, as these three are -- may not consume alcohol on school-funded trips.

An athletic department investigation into the incident concluded that only the three seniors consumed alcohol, Ralph said. The alcohol was provided by a friend who Economakos said was not a fellow player, coach, parent, or affiliate of the program.

Because of the blizzard that night, the drive home lasted eight hours, twice as long as it otherwise would. The bus stopped once for fast food, but at no place where additional alcohol could have been purchased, Economakos said.

According to Ralph, team trainer Chris Thompson found the bottle, empty, after the bus arrived in Troy around 5 a.m. that Sunday. Thompson informed head coach Dan Fridgen, who asked that the players responsible come forward. At that point, Economakos, McNeely, and Pickett identified themselves. McNeely and Pickett did not respond to messages seeking comment.

Ralph and Fridgen made the decision jointly. Fridgen, who was ill over the weekend, did not respond to messages left at his home.

The three will not be disciplined further and are eligible to practice today. They can play in Saturday's home game against Holy Cross. Economakos will remain a co-captain.

"This is not an alcohol problem," Ralph said. "This was a lapse in judgment based on opportunity. That's all. The reality is that these are good guys."

Economakos said alcohol is "not commonplace" on team trips and "hasn't been a problem here." He has no direct knowledge of past instances, but could not say for certain that this is the first. "Sometimes when you're sitting at the front of the bus, you don't always know what's going on in the back," he said.

Aside from state and federal drinking laws, RPI athletic teams develop their own policies, usually enforced by team captains. Economakos said the team does not have concrete rules against alcohol consumption among players of age, but that players do not normally drink during the week.

The hockey team, which placed 25 of its 28 members on the Dean's List last semester, enforces curfews: midnight during the week, 11 p.m. before game days, and 2 a.m. after Saturday night victories.

Recently, more serious incidents involving alcohol have occurred in college hockey. North Dakota captain Matt Greene was suspended two games following his arrest on a drunk driving suspicion. Four Canisius players were suspended for two exhibition games following a night in a Grand Forks, N.D., hotel that sent one player to the hospital with gashes and a bill for $550 in damages to the school's athletic department, according to the Buffalo News.

Also, on the same weekend RPI visited the North Country, Clarkson announced the removal of one player and two-game suspensions for four others for violations of team rules. It is not clear whether alcohol was involved in that incident.

"Student-athletes are held to a much higher standard than the student body in general," Ralph said. "There could be a hundred other instances of this happening with other clubs or groups on campus, and you'd never hear about it.

"That said, our players should know that, and take care to understand what we expect of them."

Paul Morosi can be reached at 454-5425 or by e-mail at jmorosi@timesunion.com.
[/Q]

Date: February 04, 2005 07:33AM

[Q]RichS Wrote: By the way, don't they teach you to use Caps at cornell? Have a nice night.[/q]

Cornellians use them all the time. Has a big red C on front. Says "Screw BU" on back. Keeps the occasional Ithaca rain and snow off.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2005 12:00PM

Learn to quote.

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2005 12:02PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

Is it possible - and this is a Forbes / WSJ kind of argument, the law of reverse consequences - that tenure ultimately provides for less job security and longevity overall - that maybe it drives colleges to reduce the number of professorships, including non-tenured but potentially longer term contractual professorships, in favor of low-paid lecturer positions, maybe without much in the way of benefits, to compensate?
[/q]

I'm sure nobody cares, but. . .

Tenured positions are already being reduced in favor of *much* cheaper adjunct/temp prof positions (more so at state schools than private). Nowadays, adjuncts often have similar qualifications, get paid far less, receive no benefits, and are on contracts renewable by term, so the University has no commitment to make. They typically do some research in the hopes of getting published and finding a stable source of income that allows them to earn a living wage (many state schools offer around $1000 per credit hour taught, so a typical adjunct teaching two courses per semester might make $16000/yr before taxes teaching at one school, including summer courses, with no health benefits).

This is partly a reaction to tenure, which can be hugely expensive for the colleges in the long term, and partly a simple short-term economic decision. Professors who are not on tenure track receive less compensation than those who are, but they have the same basic job description (with less emphasis on research and publication, although if you want a second contract or a tenure track job you'd better keep up with everyone else), multi-year contracts, and full benefits. Adjuncts receive far less than professors, are only required to teach a couple of classes, and have no security and no benefits. It's a great way for a university or department to increase the course offerings without spending much money. Since these courses are taught by professors, it only helps their rankings, so it's really a win-win for the school. The adjuncts, of course, get screwed. I wouldn't want to deal with adjuncting for a living - you'd have to teach 4-5 courses per semester, which would certainly be spread out between 2-3 different schools, just to earn a decent living wage.

OT: Adjuncts
Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: February 04, 2005 12:41PM

I only have experience with engineering, but it seems that a lot of adjunct profs in my field are doing it as a part time thing in addition to their day job. If so then you're not doing it to earn a living so the low salary isn't a big deal and your benefits are most likely covered by your first job.

Maybe I'm way off base here...

Re: RE-Recap
Posted by: puff (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: February 04, 2005 04:02PM

[Q]ben03 Wrote:

(h) … i hope the other readers have gotten a bit of a laugh reading our little spat
[/q]

I appreciate the entertainment. i even think i did the quote thing right.

Date: February 06, 2005 12:52AM

Care to teach me? :-)

Date: February 06, 2005 08:43PM

Economakos followed his suspension with the first hat trick by an RIP team since Murley in 2002. In spite of the 8-4 blowout, RIP could have lost this game if Holy Cross had stayed out of the penalty box.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login