Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell vs. Dartmouth Postgame Thread

Posted by Will 
Cornell vs. Dartmouth Postgame Thread
Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 21, 2005 10:38PM

It'd be easy to blame the lone Dartmouth goal on the lack of an offsides call (and from my vantage point, it really should have been offsides). But it appeared to me that the blame truly lies with the team losing steam in the 3rd period. They appeared to be playing to keep the game where it was, not to try to net some more insurance goals. Dartmouth is too dangerous for that strategy to work. Dartmouth mustered the drive in the 3rd to really come back and really made it close in the end. That being said, the team mostly looked great in the first two periods, particularly Chris Abbott (though Carefoot gave me one or two scares during the game). The team just has to remember that the game is (at least) 60 minutes long.

Re: Cornell vs. Dartmouth Postgame Thread
Posted by: Greg Berge (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: January 21, 2005 10:39PM

But... it did work.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 21, 2005 10:45PM

My point is, if this happens again against a much better opponent (say, Colgate or Vermont), we're probably going to get our asses kicked.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---)
Date: January 21, 2005 10:47PM

I agree with you Will. They did not take the play to Dartmouth in the third as they did in the first two periods. Dartmouth was clearly offsides on their goal though.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: January 21, 2005 11:23PM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

I agree with you Will. They did not take the play to Dartmouth in the third as they did in the first two periods. Dartmouth was clearly offsides on their goal though. [/q]I can't agree more.:-P The goal was offside. The team is not consistent. One only has to look at the Harvard game, and how much better they played after the one goal.

However, having said that, it is really difficult to maintain the high level throughout the whole game. I'd rather they start out and build a lead, then give up a goal and regain intensity, than have it be like the Harvard game. Man what a lousy sentence.

Posted by: Colgate '04 (---.uts.columbia.edu)
Date: January 21, 2005 11:49PM

It's interesting because I fellt much the same happened in the Colgate-Vermont game. Colgate completely controlled the first two periods but let up a bit throughout the third and wound up giving away a PP goal. It worked, but it's a little disturbing to see.

Looking forward to the first weekend in February!

Posted by: ben03 (---.rochester.rr.com)
Date: January 21, 2005 11:53PM

it's starting to look more and more like that weekend will be the deciding factor in the chase for the Cleary Jell-O Mold/Bedpan/Spittoon

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2005 11:59PM by ben03.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: January 21, 2005 11:57PM

[Q]Greg Berge Wrote:

But... it did work.[/q]

It worked a lot better for us than it did for UHN. :-P

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: January 22, 2005 03:10AM

Agreed that they let up tonight and also against RIP in the third. Tonight perhaps looking forward to tomorrow, and last week maybe because they were a bit tired after the Onion OT the day before.

I'm glad we so thoroughly outplayed Dartmouth tonight. They beat RIP 9-1 and really didn't let up the entire game. I consoled a few RIP fans with the observation that it could have been worse - i.e. 10-0 wouldn't have been out of the question. All the finesse the Green showed in Troy was nonexistent vs. our defense.:-)

Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: January 23, 2005 06:59PM

Great, complete win against Dartmouth. Both goals we allowed this weekend were flukes...the floater over McKee and then the offsides goal against Vermont.

I haven't made it through the game threads but my favorite part of the game besides the Moulson wrister (Union, Dartmouth, and Vermont...what a shot!) was when Yacey came in and messed with the students. He did fake stops and turns during the remote control goalie cheers and he struck poses while hanging off of the crossbar of his goal. Very entertaining and I was really disappointed that both of our opponents went with their backups this weekend.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: January 23, 2005 07:07PM

[Q]atb9 Wrote:

Great, complete win against Dartmouth. Both goals we allowed this weekend were flukes...the floater over McKee and then the offsides goal against Vermont.

I haven't made it through the game threads but my favorite part of the game besides the Moulson wrister (Union, Dartmouth, and Vermont...what a shot!) was when Yacey came in and messed with the students. He did fake stops and turns during the remote control goalie cheers and he struck poses while hanging off of the crossbar of his goal. Very entertaining and I was really disappointed that both of our opponents went with their backups this weekend.[/q]
I looked it up because I was curious, and at a glance it looks like Yacey and Samuel each get one game a weekend for Dartmouth... so that one wasn't really a back-up, at least. I agree with you though, that's pretty disrespectful to not play Fallon against Cornell. But you know, I thought about it some more, and I decided that if a team wants to underestimate the Big Red that's all right with me. If every team Cornell plays from here to eternity wants to play their worse goaltender, that's excellent.

Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: January 23, 2005 07:19PM

[Q]Section A Banshee Wrote:

atb9 Wrote:

I haven't made it through the game threads but my favorite part of the game besides the Moulson wrister (Union, Dartmouth, and Vermont...what a shot!) was when Yacey came in and messed with the students. He did fake stops and turns during the remote control goalie cheers and he struck poses while hanging off of the crossbar of his goal. Very entertaining and I was really disappointed that both of our opponents went with their backups this weekend.[/Q]
I looked it up because I was curious, and at a glance it looks like Yacey and Samuel each get one game a weekend for Dartmouth... so that one wasn't really a back-up, at least. I agree with you though, that's pretty disrespectful to not play Fallon against Cornell. But you know, I thought about it some more, and I decided that if a team wants to underestimate the Big Red that's all right with me. If every team Cornell plays from here to eternity wants to play their worse goaltender, that's excellent.[/q]

And I kept digging because I too am curious (thanks for the motivation! ;-) ) Yacey, the Senior, plays all of the big games (1st Cornell, Colgate x2, Maine, UML, 1st Vermont, UHN). But now that I look at the box scores, it looks like Yacey was being punished for the two early goals against UHN, and Samuel, the sophomore, was being rewarded for his decent play during the next game at Vermont. It's got to keep a goalie on edge to have such a short leash...Yacey pulled after 7+ minutes against UHN and Samuel pulled after one soft goal following two power play goals.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: January 23, 2005 07:32PM

[Q]atb9 Wrote:

Section A Banshee Wrote:

atb9 Wrote:

I haven't made it through the game threads but my favorite part of the game besides the Moulson wrister (Union, Dartmouth, and Vermont...what a shot!) was when Yacey came in and messed with the students. He did fake stops and turns during the remote control goalie cheers and he struck poses while hanging off of the crossbar of his goal. Very entertaining and I was really disappointed that both of our opponents went with their backups this weekend.[/Q]
I looked it up because I was curious, and at a glance it looks like Yacey and Samuel each get one game a weekend for Dartmouth... so that one wasn't really a back-up, at least. I agree with you though, that's pretty disrespectful to not play Fallon against Cornell. But you know, I thought about it some more, and I decided that if a team wants to underestimate the Big Red that's all right with me. If every team Cornell plays from here to eternity wants to play their worse goaltender, that's excellent.[/Q]
And I kept digging because I too am curious (thanks for the motivation! ) Yacey, the Senior, plays all of the big games (1st Cornell, Colgate x2, Maine, UML, 1st Vermont, UHN). But now that I look at the box scores, it looks like Yacey was being punished for the two early goals against UHN, and Samuel, the sophomore, was being rewarded for his decent play during the next game at Vermont. It's got to keep a goalie on edge to have such a short leash...Yacey pulled after 7+ minutes against UHN and Samuel pulled after one soft goal following two power play goals.[/q]
In keeping with my other comment, if a team wants to breed jumpy, nervous goalies who might be preoccupied with whether or not they'll play the next game, that's also all right by me.

Posted by: lhayes (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 23, 2005 07:34PM

On the Dartmouth goal, which I also thought was offsides, Schafer apparently didn't think so. On the pre-game show yesterday, he called it a fluke (or something like that). He said the puck bounced off a Cornell player's skate back over the blue line. So it wasn't offsides because Cornell technically brought the puck in.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2005 07:35PM by lhayes.

Posted by: ben03 (---.rochester.rr.com)
Date: January 23, 2005 07:50PM

[Q]lhayes Wrote:
On the Dartmouth goal, which I also thought was offsides, Schafer apparently didn't think so. On the pre-game show yesterday, he called it a fluke (or something like that). He said the puck bounced off a Cornell player's skate back over the blue line. So it wasn't offsides because Cornell technically brought the puck in.[/q]
i wasn't there so i can only go from what i saw on the webcast and what you all have said. it sounds like the shot was taken from our neutral zone and was deflected inside the zone by a Cornell player ... even if there was a dartmouth player in the zone in an offside position, if he did not touch the puck the play will not be blown dead as most people probably thought it should have been. the result is a goal and the correct call was made. this would fall in the category of those v. rare occassions such as scoring on yourself when you have an extra skater due to a delayed penalty call. it's a technicallity but it sounds like the correct call was made or i am rambling and this totally off-base ... if the latter is the case, please disregard :-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login