Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

All-time Cornell team

Posted by billhoward 
All-time Cornell team
Posted by: billhoward (---.ziffdavis.com)
Date: July 30, 2004 06:00PM

Ken Dryden is the goalie and Ned Harkness is the coach. So that leaves two defensemen and three forwards. Plus second team and honorable mention. And special teams like power play, penalty kill, offensive defenseman (sorry, nominations closed; that was filled in 1970 in the third period of the title game), and the guy you want to take a penalty shot or have a man-short breakaway. (Say, have we had any breakaways the last two years? If so, how come nobody scored?)

Re: All-time Cornell team
Posted by: O.S.B. (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: July 30, 2004 06:12PM

yeah i think mcrae had one this season and the goalie got it with his stick

Posted by: Greg Berge (69.160.81.---)
Date: July 30, 2004 09:15PM

How about the entire 1967 team? ;-)

Seriously, if I had to name an all-time squad, I would name two: a "classic" team and a "modern era" team. The program was reestablished in 1959; a convenient midpoint is the end of the Bertrand era (1982). So, starting 6's in classic and modern keys:

G - Ken Dryden
D - Dan Lodboa
D - Harry Orr
F - Doug Ferguson
F - Pete Tufford
F - Lance Nethery
Coach - Ned Harkness

G - Dave LeNeveu
D - Dan Ratushny
D - Doug Murray
F - Joe Nieuwendyk
F - Doug Derraugh
F - Brad Chartrand
Coach - Mike Schafer

Posted by: ugarte (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 31, 2004 01:03PM

You wouldn't put Nieuwendyk on the all-time team?

Posted by: Killer (---.c3-0.nat-ubr6.sbo-nat.ma.cable.rcn.co)
Date: August 01, 2004 12:48AM

It's too late to give this thought it requires, but I'll throw in one:

Penalty shot - Carlo "The Magician" Ugolini

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: August 01, 2004 10:13PM

Carlo Ugolini ('73) was a great player who felt the refs missed a lot of apparent second assists that should have gone to, ah, Carlo. I believe his line was, "I was pimped, ref."

He was also the kind of guy you wanted on the ice in the last two minutes with Cornell down a goal.

Maybe there should be a Cornelll all-time under-5-foot-8 team and Carlo deserves a spot there, too.

Date: August 01, 2004 10:37PM

For penalty kill, I want to see Randy MacFarlane.

To take a key faceoff late in the game, I'd elect either Vesce or Karl Williams.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2004 10:38PM by Greg Berge.

Posted by: R. Stott (199.111.96.---)
Date: August 02, 2004 09:22AM

I would put Nieuwendyke on the first team over Tufford and make Dadswell the second team goaltender.

I'd go with Chartrand on the faceoff.

Date: August 02, 2004 09:29AM

Anyone remember Carlo taking a penalty shot where the opposing coach pulled the goalie and inserted a defenseman? I seem to recall the guy came out to challenge, Carlo faked him out of his shorts, then paused in front of the empty net to give the guy a look before he put the puck in.

(I don't think I dreamed this, but then, in my old age...LOL)

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: August 02, 2004 02:15PM

[Q]R. Stott Wrote:

I would put Nieuwendyke on the first team over Tufford and make Dadswell the second team goaltender.

I'd go with Chartrand on the faceoff.[/q]

I don't think Greg intended there to be a "first" team and a "second" team. I read it that he named two teams from two different eras, with no attempt at a ranking of one versus the other. IMO, a very reasonable way to go about doing it.

Date: August 02, 2004 02:17PM

[Q]Killer Wrote:

Anyone remember Carlo taking a penalty shot where the opposing coach pulled the goalie and inserted a defenseman? [/q]
Geez, I didn't think Mark Morris was around in those days.;-)

Posted by: ugarte (68.161.190.---)
Date: August 02, 2004 02:57PM

[Q]Al DeFlorio Wrote:

R. Stott Wrote:

I'd go with Chartrand on the faceoff.[/Q]
I don't think Greg intended there to be a "first" team and a "second" team. I read it that he named two teams from two different eras, with no attempt at a ranking of one versus the other. IMO, a very reasonable way to go about doing it.[/q]
I think that's true also, but the way I read his chart there was an all-time team and a modern-era team. I was curious as to whether Greg intended them to be mutually exclusive or if Nieuwendyk qualified for his all-time team but didn't make the (very high) cut.

Date: August 02, 2004 03:32PM

I think Greg named one team from the Patten/Harkness/Bertrand era and one from the Reycroft/McCutcheon/Schafer era, with no intent to rank players from one era vis-a-vis the other.

Discussions of Tufford vs. Brian Cornell or LeNeveu vs. Dadswell are certainly appropriate within that context.

Date: August 02, 2004 05:32PM

Did he try that too? Any better results?

I'm probably mistaken, but I think that when Carlo faced that defenseman, we were playing Brown. (Of course, I seem to recall a lot of weird stuff from when we played Brown. Maybe...) Anyone know?

Date: August 02, 2004 07:05PM

[Q]Killer Wrote:

Did he try that too? Any better results?

I'm probably mistaken, but I think that when Carlo faced that defenseman, we were playing Brown. (Of course, I seem to recall a lot of weird stuff from when we played Brown. Maybe...) Anyone know?[/q]

Bob, I have no idea if Morris ever tried such a move, but he not infrequently made...um...unconventional tactics with his goalies.

Date: August 02, 2004 07:11PM

Al is correct -- mine are two separate teams, one through '82 and one post-'82. It has the coincidental advantage that I've only been watching since '82.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.cable.ubr11.edin.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: August 03, 2004 04:48AM

[Q]Killer Wrote:

Anyone remember Carlo taking a penalty shot where the opposing coach pulled the goalie and inserted a defenseman? I seem to recall the guy came out to challenge, Carlo faked him out of his shorts, then paused in front of the empty net to give the guy a look before he put the puck in.
[/q]
They've changed the rule since then, right? My impression was that you had to put a goalie specifically out there these days.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: jkahn (216.146.73.---)
Date: August 04, 2004 06:45PM

My starters:
G - Ken Dryden
D - Dan Lodboa
D - Bruce Pattison
F - Joe Nieuwendyk
F - Lance Nethery
F - John Hughes
Coach - Ned Harkness

A few comments on the guys not previously mentioned:
Pattison was a strong presence on the blue line both defensively and offensively, with a hard slapshot and great skating ability. He also had the uncanny ability when shorthanded to clear the puck from his own end line by flipping it high in the air above the defending teams defenseman. Once, but only once, he hit the rafters at Lynah.
Hughes was the first team center on the 29-0 team, and never seemed to lose a face-off. For those who didn't seen him play, John Madden of the Devils very much reminds me of John Hughes. John H. was also a great penalty killer. One time I ran into referee Giles Threadgold at Boston Garden, and introduced myself as a Cornellian. We started talking college hockey and he described Hughes as "the best forechecker I've ever seen" in college hockey.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2004 06:47PM by jkahn.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login