Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

NHL Draft - Profiles

Posted by Draft 
NHL Draft - Profiles
Posted by: Draft (---.cpe.net.cable.roger)
Date: June 20, 2004 04:06PM

I stumbled upon scouting reports for this years NHL draft at hockeyfutures.com:

(1) Raymond Sawada Scouting Report:

[www.hockeysfuture.com]

(2) Raymond Sawada Scouting Report:

[www.hockeysfuture.com]

NHL Draft - Profiles Correction
Posted by: Draft (---.cpe.net.cable.roger)
Date: June 20, 2004 04:07PM

I stumbled upon scouting reports for this years NHL draft at hockeyfutures.com:

(1) Raymond Sawada Scouting Report:

[www.hockeysfuture.com]

(2) Mitch Carefoot Scouting Report:

[www.hockeysfuture.com]

Re: NHL Draft - Profiles Correction
Posted by: mjr45 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: June 21, 2004 03:27PM

[Q] All that success paid off as Sawada this year announced his intentions to play with Cornell Big Red of the NCAA in 2004 on a hockey scholarship.[/Q]

We give those?

Re: NHL Draft - Profiles
Posted by: Greg (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: June 21, 2004 03:53PM

Longstanding misunderstanding by our neighbors to the north. They hear NCAA and think "athletic scholarship." Harmless.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: June 21, 2004 04:46PM

Longstanding enough that it's been mentioned and discussed many times. Not to be confused with the claims that Ivies do provide what amounts to scholarships in the form of preferential aid. Which has also been discussed a number of times. :-)

Posted by: ugarte (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 21, 2004 08:47PM

[Q]mjr45 Wrote:

All that success paid off as Sawada this year announced his intentions to play with Cornell Big Red of the NCAA in 2004 on a hockey scholarship.[/Q]
We give those?[/q]23 hours was a full 22 hours longer than I thought it would take someone to comment on this.

Posted by: Robb (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: June 22, 2004 10:03AM

Yeah - and it wasn't even Al Deflorio.... :-)

Date: June 22, 2004 02:10PM

Still no mention of Dryden leading the 1970 team, but...
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2004 02:11PM by Greg.

Date: June 22, 2004 02:10PM

The over/under on the "needs based" joke opens at 72.

Good News for Lenny?
Posted by: Chris '03 (---.cust.uslec.net)
Date: June 26, 2004 01:25PM

Phoenix passed on Al Montoya, letting him fall to the much delighted Rangers.

Posted by: dss28 (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: June 26, 2004 02:01PM

Will Montoya get much playing time, though? I mean, if we are to assume that he most likely will go to the AHL to begin his career... and I haven't heard any rumors about LaBarbera (League MVP in the AHL this past season) moving up to the Rangers... unless he goes to the ECHL, I honestly wonder how much he'll play...

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.cust.uslec.net)
Date: June 26, 2004 02:16PM

I'm betting he plays about 40 games for Michigan.

Posted by: dss28 (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: June 26, 2004 07:18PM

Did you make the same bet for Lenny?

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: June 29, 2004 11:32AM

Rangers are in a bit of a pickle in goal. Dunham very sporadically showed the ability to steal a game, but usually showed the tendency to be overwhelmingly mediocre. I'm not exactly pointing fingers, since the defense left him out to dry more often than not, but I don't see the Rangers pursuing him as a starter. Blackburn's coming back from an entire missed season due to shoulder injury, but if he's anywhere near what he was before the injury, he'll at worst be someone's backup with significant play time. But if he needs more time, that puts the Rangers even worse off. Bottom line is they need goalies and they need them now. Most likely they'll try to sign Montoya and either platoon him with LaBarbera in HFD or have him back up someone in the big club. I don't see LaBarbera having a future with the Rangers at this point. He was unimpressive when he came up to play for the NY Wolfpa--err, Rangers at the end of the year and seems to have peaked at "good AHL goalie".

Pittsburgh threw Fleury to the wolves this year and he turned out pretty decent. The last time they tried that with Lalime, it broke him for a few years after that unreal start, but he still got back to his feet in Ottawa. The Rangers basically did that with Blackburn, so there's a recent history of it in NY. If the Rangers can't sign a big name free agent to backstop them, and Blackburn makes decent progress, I wouldn't be all that surprised to see them platoon him and Montoya. Or at least I think that's what's running through Glen's head. We'll see if Red can keep him planted in Michigan for another year, though.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.ny5030.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 29, 2004 06:44PM

To be fair to LaBarbera, I think that if you were to say that he has peaked, then you would have to say he peaked at "very good AHL goalie". :-P

As for Montoya, I'd have to figure that, especially with goalies, teams will be hesitant to pull guys out of a guaranteed-playing-time situation until they're sure how many spots they have on their depth chart.

Re: NHL Draft
Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: June 29, 2004 07:39PM

The question is which is better for a player's development (from the NHL perspective): half time at the AHL level or full time at the CCHA level? Probably still the AHL, but as the expected playing time decreases the more it makes sense to let the kid stay in school, where he doesn't cost you any money.

A while back someone questioned whether the impending NHL work stoppage would affect the minors too. I think the response was that during the last strike there was an agreement between management and the players to let the AHL play through, but without such an agreement a strike/lockout would affect the AHL too. The articles I've been reading about the draft make it seem like the minors will definitely be unaffected, but without the NHL "carrot" it will be harder to get a kid to leave school early.

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: June 29, 2004 10:35PM

I watched Jason Labarbera in Portland for four seasons. He's an excellent goalie -- at 18 he was the backup on the Winter Hawks' 1998 Memorial Cup team, and a lot of people felt he was actually the better netminder.

He was 34-9-9 .936 1.59 at Hartford last year and he's 24. He played 4 games for the Rangers. Hard to imagine anybody thinks he's peaked based on that.

Date: June 30, 2004 09:54AM

So you saw him play in the WHL last decade and looked up his stats on hockeydb.com. Guess you know everything there is to know about him. I saw all his NHL games and whatever Wolfpack games MSG decided to show. I was generally unimpressed. As bad as the Rangers are, the Wolfpack are a excellent and help his numbers much like Cornell's D helps their goalies. More importantly, he's had a history of showing up to camp out of shape and has shown a lack of work ethic at times. He might not have peaked in that he won't improve a bit more, but I still feel he's peaked as far as where he'll get. He'll never see significant playing time in the NHL and most likely will be called up from time to time to fill holes left by injury. The short list of realistic Rangers goalie prospects goes something like this: Blackburn, Montoya.

Posted by: CU Fan (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: June 30, 2004 12:35PM

and Lundqvist, a guy playin in Europe who is actually supposed to be very good.

Date: June 30, 2004 01:24PM

Well, except the Rangers traded Holmqvist to the Wild for Nicholat

Edit: Sorry, maybe you really did mean Henrik Lundqvist. He's staying in Sweden another year, but really is an unproven commodity in the NHL.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2004 01:26PM by CowbellGuy.

Posted by: CU Fan (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: June 30, 2004 03:32PM

Yes I did mean Lundqvist and yes he is an unproven commodity at the NHL level, but most prospects are...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login