Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

OT: Goalie masks vs. catcher's masks

Posted by Chris 02 
OT: Goalie masks vs. catcher's masks
Posted by: Chris 02 (---.larc.nasa.gov)
Date: March 29, 2004 01:48PM

Anyone else notice that the catcher's mask seems like it's really starting to ressemble a goalie mask? Are that many catchers getting hurt by errant bats and balls? I know that they usually wear modified batting helmets in reverse because they frequently get clocked in the hand on some batters' backswings. The masks look really like hockey masks I think!

Re: OT: Goalie masks vs. catcher's masks
Posted by: Lowell '99 (---.c3-0.avec-ubr13.nyr-avec.ny.cable.rc)
Date: March 29, 2004 02:02PM

This style of catcher's mask has been around for a number of years. I believe the first catcher to wear one was Charlie O'Brien (of too many teams to list here). Some guys don't like them; I know Mike Piazza prefers the face mask/batting helmet combination. The gimmicky "catcher cam" requires the goalie style mask, so you know Fox loves the new ones.

Posted by: ugarte (65.217.153.---)
Date: March 29, 2004 02:03PM

I think Joe Oliver was the first catcher to use a goalie mask. It isn't an accident. And catchers get hit in the face with foul tips all the time. It is a great innovation.

EDIT: Lowell is correct. It was Charlie O'Brien, not Joe Oliver. [members.tripod.com]
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2004 02:06PM by ugarte.

Posted by: RichH (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: March 29, 2004 02:26PM

[Q]LowellFrank Wrote:

This style of catcher's mask has been around for a number of years. I believe the first catcher to wear one was Charlie O'Brien (of too many teams to list here). [/Q]

He was playing with Toronto (of course!) when the goalie-style mask made its debut. September 13, 1996.
[www.baseballlibrary.com]

[Q]Some guys don't like them; I know Mike Piazza prefers the face mask/batting helmet combination. The gimmicky "catcher cam" requires the goalie style mask, so you know Fox loves the new ones. [/Q]
I've seen "catcher cam" used with old-style masks. Piazza and Ivan Rodriguez have both worn it. The camera and battery pack get mounted on the "wings" of the iron. That has to add a substantial amount of weight, so I'm sure they don't like it.

In addition, according to [www.jacksonsun.com] the hockey-style of mask is now required by the National Federation of State High School Associations.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 29, 2004 05:38PM

What it comes down to is that the masks are evolving together because of functionality. Hockey just got there first because the game needs more protection.

JH

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 29, 2004 06:58PM

I don't like the new masks on principle 'cuz I'm a purist!

But seriously, it still looks funny seeing a catcher in a goalie mask, but I guess it's an advance in technology.

One thing that is different about catchers and goalies. MLB catchers are not allowed to have individualized designs on their masks. A mask must be painted in team colors and insignia. When he first got it approved Charlie O'Brien had some sort of design on it but had to have it repainted before he could use it in a game.

Posted by: Scott Kominkiewicz (---.75.68.94.Dial1.Weehawken.Level3.net)
Date: March 29, 2004 09:09PM

The chicken or the egg? As a kid, I was a baseball catcher and I always wondered why hockey goalies wore those white contoured masks instead of something like a catcher's mask. Eventually, hockey goalies began using caged masks that resembled catcher's masks instead of those thin pieces of plastic that people now only identify with Jason from the Friday the 13th movies. Ironically, I think the Soviets were the first to use the catcher-style goalie cages. What did the goalies wear in "Miracle?"

The following link shows Dryden with a plastic mask. Meanwhile, baseball catchers were wearing caged masks for nearly 100 years before this. So, which really came first?

[sportsillustrated.cnn.com]

Posted by: David Harding (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2004 11:10PM

Remember that for a long, long time goalies didn't wear any mask. It was only when they realized that they could stop pucks with their masks and keep playing that they started to become popular. One of the early ones (who was it?) painted gash with stitches on his contoured mask at each spot he stopped a puck.

Posted by: ben03 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: March 29, 2004 11:34PM

I think you are refering to Boston Bruins goalie Gerry Cheevers

[www.hockeymasks.com]
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2004 11:52PM by ben03.

Posted by: dss28 (---.dmca.yale.edu)
Date: March 30, 2004 05:47PM

[Q]Scott Kominkiewicz Wrote:
What did the goalies wear in "Miracle?"
[/Q]

IIRC, "Jim Craig" was wearing the Jason-style thin piece of plastic mask.

Posted by: David Harding (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 30, 2004 10:33PM

[q] I think you are refering to Boston Bruins goalie Gerry Cheevers [/q]

Yes. Too late at night to dredge it up from my memory and too lazy to dig it up from the web.

Posted by: Dave '02 (---.carolina.rr.com)
Date: March 30, 2004 11:01PM

The version that I got from a high school teacher of mine (who, incidentally, used to be a goalie) was that the masks were originally put in place to prevent severity of injury. For example, if you were hit in the face with a puck it would tear the skin whereas if you were hit while wearing the mask, you would still get a cut, but it would be a straight line type deal that could be easily stitched up as opposed to ripping apart your face

Posted by: Ack (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 31, 2004 12:25AM

Some catchers will never give in to the new style (Benito Santiago, for example, who's older than baseball itself) - I probably wouldn't either, being another purist, but I haven't been on that side of the plate in years...guess I could change my mind after a good bruising.

The traditional masks are two-pieces while the hockey-style ones are one piece, that makes a big difference to catchers.

Either way, still part of the tools of ignorance.

Posted by: Cornell95 (---.natick.army.mil)
Date: March 31, 2004 10:37AM

It has been a long time since I was in Little League, but from what I remember one of the benefits of the 2 part mask was in being able to remove the mask quickly when chasing down foul tips and pop-ups. I would imagine that the hockey style mask would be more challenging to remove quickly and also heavier to run with (the old baseball adage was to remove the mask immediately but keep it in your hand until you had moved under the ball, then throw it to the side (if you dropped it right away and the ball tailed or was blown by the wind you might run over it and trip) :-P

Posted by: Lowell '99 (---.c3-0.avec-ubr13.nyr-avec.ny.cable.rc)
Date: March 31, 2004 01:17PM

I believe the new catcher's masks are slightly different than goalie masks behind the head making them relatively easier to remove. When O'Brien debuted his mask, I recall the announcers commenting on how that was an obstacle to be overcome in design.

Posted by: billhoward (---.ziffdavis.com)
Date: March 31, 2004 01:29PM

Over time, catchers (previously, hockey goaltenders) realized it's not shameful to have adequate protection. You'll notice lacrosse helmets are changing, too.

I bet Don Zimmer wishes he wore a batting helmet.

There are a few old timers who believe it's a real sport only when the participant risks all. Read Brock Yates reminiscing on how wimpy motorsports have become because drivers are not dying in the quantity they used to. Remember the 1973 Watkins Glen Grand Prix that killed Francois Cevert? That was Yates' kind of racing.

That said, there is some argument that the full face shields in college (possibly HS too) hockey make the players (skaters) chippier and more likely to lift their sticks knowing there's less risk of causing injury except for maybe the rare big injury.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: March 31, 2004 01:48PM

Use Brock "every form of racing should use a big, American pushrod lump" Yates for any more point-making, and I'll just have to ban your ass. I've never heard more inane ideas come out of a human being. It's too bad he never managed to kill himself on a Cannonball or something. Of course, we're talking about someone who lives in Wyoming, NY by choice.

Since you brought it up, I actually think some drivers or series have become a bit prissy (see every sterile, flat giant gravel trap F1 track built since 1994). If there's almost no risk of hitting anything, drivers become complacent and stupid, often resulting in big accidents where flying debris is more of a risk to spectators than the guys in the cars (Australia '01). But hey, if Brock loves dead and broken drivers, I'm sure he's a big fan of the IRL.

Posted by: billhoward (---.ziffdavis.com)
Date: March 31, 2004 02:13PM

A couple years back, in an effort to ward off male menopause, I took the Skip Barber three-day race certification program. There is now no queston in my mind that you do more than just sit in a chair and press the gas pedal. Unless you're in top shape physically, you're not going to be able to hold your neck up straight going around corners and you won't be very sharp mentally at the end of the race if you're facing exhaustion. And that's just in rattly little Formula Dodge cars that can't do but 120mph.

Plus, have you seen the caliber of women who hang around racetracks? F1 at least if not Chemung Motor Speedway.

The most bizarre thing about motor racing though must be having David Hobbs as an analyst at Daytona.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: March 31, 2004 02:35PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:
The most bizarre thing about motor racing though must be having David Hobbs as an analyst at Daytona. [/Q]
Even if he's out of his element, I'll take Hobbs over the yokels on Fox and NBC doing NASCAR any day. Oh wait. I don't watch NASCAR. No, it works just fine having him do F1, thanks. Impressive thread drift going on here...

Posted by: ben03 (198.16.0.---)
Date: March 31, 2004 03:42PM

back to talking about baseball ... and how it sucks :-O

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 31, 2004 06:07PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:
There are a few old timers who believe it's a real sport only when the participant risks all. [/Q]"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway

I don't agree, but it's a great quote.

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 31, 2004 08:24PM

[Q]jmh30 Wrote: "Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway

I don't agree, but it's a great quote.

[/Q]

I think that's the line Brock Yates trots out for his annual "F1 drivers are now wimps" column. I'm pretty sure he credits Hemingway. At least you've got to give him that. Or as the fop once told Oscar Wilde:

Fop: Brilliant, Oscar, I wish I'd said that.
Wilde: Eventually, you will.

Posted by: ugarte (---.ny5030.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 31, 2004 11:34PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:
Fop: Brilliant, Oscar, I wish I'd said that.
Wilde: Eventually, you will. [/Q]Actually, Oscar Wilde is the fop in that exchange. He was zinged by James McNeill Whistler.
[www.anecdotage.com]

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: April 01, 2004 08:43AM

"His majesty is like A dose of clap"
"Whaaaat?"
"Before you arrive is pleasure, but afterwards is just a pain in the dong."
"It was one of Shaw's"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login